Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me

flatluigi posted:

Hasn't the reusable bomb glitch been known for a long while now?

Yes, but not that it was player 1 only.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

1P only glitches. Jesus Christ, how much more broken can this game get?

I've got my first money match ever tonight and I'm out of practice cause of TTT2. :(

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

THANK GOD FOR THE SMOKE MACHINE!
1P only infinites and glitches were pretty common in older fighting games, too. A3 immediately comes to mind, but I'm certain there are more. My more software engineering-oriented friend told me it's just a consequence of how the game is programmed with respect to one player side or something like that.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Didn't CVS2 have P1-specific bullshit too, like combos and setups? And there's still P1-only corner crossups in modern games like SFIV so I don't know.

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.

Dias posted:

And there's still P1-only corner crossups in modern games like SFIV so I don't know.

In SF4 it depends on the corner itself, not the player. Some stuff will not crossup on the left corner that will crossup in the right corner.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Bebopaloobop posted:

In SF4 it depends on the corner itself, not the player. Some stuff will not crossup on the left corner that will crossup in the right corner.

Do you know why is that, while we're at it? I got used to it, and it allows for some nice setups, but I can't figure out the mechanics behind it.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Taskmaster and Vergil both have different combos/combo enders for different corners and facing different corners (for Vergil) because of how the spacing of the screen is different.

You can't relaunch certain characters with solo arrow lifts as Task in the left corner, regardless of player- same with doing arrow crossups.

Vergil's combo spacing is just different entirely and it's really immediately obvious when you try certain variations of his spiral sword loops (the HS ones, specifically).

Ybrik
Jan 1, 2008

Tonight :agesilaus:

Thursday September12th 9PMEst/6PMPst irc://irc.synirc.net/sa-mvc3

:spidey:PS3:spidey:
http://challonge.com/tournaments/signup/43jfc8jsuj

:flaccid:Xbox:flaccid:
http://challonge.com/tournaments/signup/k27fxcq2c6

http://imgur.com/a/CaOu6

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebHQgH1ogoY

some really nice combos in this match, dat opening Skrull combo

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

If ya can move ya toes ya back's fine
Won't be able to make it tonight due to work. Have fun.

Fenn the Fool!
Oct 24, 2006
woohoo
I've been trying to get a raw tag combo from Dante to Doom working but I just can't figure out a way to swing it. I run Haggar/Dante/Doom, frequently I'll DHC into Devil Trigger to make Lariat safe or just tag out Haggar for red life. The only issue is I don't really know what to do with Dante when he's in DT and I have no meter. I've tried a ton of different raw tag methods and none of them work, should I go for a reset or invent a TAC combo/infinite with Haggar or what?

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

Fenn the Fool! posted:

I've been trying to get a raw tag combo from Dante to Doom working but I just can't figure out a way to swing it. I run Haggar/Dante/Doom, frequently I'll DHC into Devil Trigger to make Lariat safe or just tag out Haggar for red life. The only issue is I don't really know what to do with Dante when he's in DT and I have no meter. I've tried a ton of different raw tag methods and none of them work, should I go for a reset or invent a TAC combo/infinite with Haggar or what?

You could try comboing into his air qcf+H such that the last hit doesn't connect. It puts the opponent into a slow hard knockdown, which might be enough to tag to Doom and pick them up with st. M into relaunch. Off the top of my head, you can do it by launching with S, super jumping up, and delay for a bit before doing MMH qcf+H. In the corner, you can also wall bounce them with Stinger, then bold cancel into qcf+H.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Fenn the Fool! posted:

Isn't the grapple reset pretty godlike with lariat?

Ample
Dec 26, 2007

I've never played Ultimate marvel vs. Capcom 3 but I like to watch some of the tournament streams. I have a question though. Why do I never see Amaterasu played competeively?

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Ample posted:

I've never played Ultimate marvel vs. Capcom 3 but I like to watch some of the tournament streams. I have a question though. Why do I never see Amaterasu played competeively?

Ammy is a solid character who's good at setting up a lot of mixups between Cold Star assist or, if on point, slowdown + paper. The one person I know off the top of my head who plays a lot of Amaterasu is MarlinPie on his C. Viper/Ammy/Doom team. His favorite trick is to call Cold Star assist on an incoming character to keep them in a corner just long enough for Viper to perform an unblockable Focus Attack.

InnercityGriot
Dec 31, 2008
I think people stopped playing Ammy because they overreacted to the airdash nerf from Vanilla to Ultimate. M00nz, Zak Bennet, Marlinpie, and Clockwork all play pretty bad rear end Amaterasus, though.

Fenn the Fool!
Oct 24, 2006
woohoo

canoshiz posted:

You could try comboing into his air qcf+H such that the last hit doesn't connect. It puts the opponent into a slow hard knockdown, which might be enough to tag to Doom and pick them up with st. M into relaunch. Off the top of my head, you can do it by launching with S, super jumping up, and delay for a bit before doing MMH qcf+H. In the corner, you can also wall bounce them with Stinger, then bold cancel into qcf+H.

I do groundbounce resents with this, I'm pretty sure its a soft knockdown and the recovery is so long that even the timing for catching them with beehive is pretty strict. I really doubt it'd work, but I'll check it out.

How does the grapple reset work exactly, it forces forward tech right? So I just grapple, call haggar and ambiguously dash under?

Fenn the Fool! fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Sep 14, 2012

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

Fenn the Fool! posted:

I do groundbounce resents with this, I'm pretty sure its a soft knockdown and the recovery is so long that even the timing for catching them with beehive is pretty strict. I really doubt it'd work, but I'll check it out.

How does the grapple reset work exactly, it forces forward tech right? So I just grapple, call haggard and ambiguously dash under?

No, it's definitely a slow hard knockdown if you do it right. I mean you have enough time to teleport to the other side of the guy, then do Million Carats xx super, or fire off an Acid Rain then do Volcano -> j.S. If nothing else you could cancel into Devil Trigger when you land to cancel the recovery and raw tag to Doom and OTG with st. M into whatever.

edit: I just tested it, in the corner it works pretty well. Standard Dante BNB opening into st. S, sj H, qcf+H, tag to Doom, st. HS, sj j.M j.M footdive footdive, air qcf+H xx super (DHC to Million Dollars for easy mode damage or Devil Trigger into followup if you're feeling fancy).

canoshiz fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Sep 14, 2012

Jesus H. Christ
Aug 3, 2004

$ $ $Everybody's got a price$ $ $
I'm in the XB360 tournament and I'm willing to bet $10 that I can beat anyone ever. Nobody wants my money? My competition? MY BURNING SOUL???

:(

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

I don't need no money. All I need is the Eagle Medallion and also the Scorpion Emblem also a Ruby Eye and like, ten cranks.

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

Ample posted:

Why do I never see Amaterasu played competeively?
To throw my opinion in: Ammy has low health and fairly low damage output in a high damage game, which limits her usefulness when active. Her main use is as an assist with Cold Star that certain players+characters can use well or the meter gain assist, and for her team super which MarlinPie and Clockw0rk use so well.

People would rather use characters that are better on point with less assist utility is the way I'm looking at it.

Ybrik
Jan 1, 2008

Results :gooncamp:

http://challonge.com/psmgoons18
First Place: Ybrik's internet Spider-Man/Taskmaster/Super-Skrull
Second Place: Bumble Chump* Spencer/Felicia/Shuma-Gorath
Third Place: Hawaiian Shirt Nova/Frank West/Super-Skrull

VICTORY...*

:itjb:Xbox:itjb:
http://challonge.com/xbmgoons18

First Place: Jesus H. Christ Nova/Firebrand/Taskmaster
Second Place: Fereydun Jill/Chris/Wesker
Third Place: you know who

There was an actual competion on xbox this week so thats something. maybe I should go bug #goonsgarden

Next week Thursday September19th 9PMEst/6PMPst irc://irc.synirc.net/sa-mvc3

:itjb:xbox:itjb:
http://challonge.com/tournaments/signup/7tptz7sr3o

http://challonge.com/tournaments/signup/fm5jg85p7c

Ybrik fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Sep 14, 2012

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

InnercityGriot posted:

I think people stopped playing Ammy because they overreacted to the airdash nerf from Vanilla to Ultimate. M00nz, Zak Bennet, Marlinpie, and Clockwork all play pretty bad rear end Amaterasus, though.

Moonz is a joy to watch, no matter what character he's playing, but yeah his Ammy is legit

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
I can't play on Thursdays for a while, my kickball league started back up.

Ammy is good but her support value is higher than her point value and as an anchor she's a little lackluster for a variety of reasons. Low damage, lack of bullshit mixups, her counters aren't as effective when she's at a health disadvantage b/c the opponent doesn't have to attack, she doesn't have XF3 Ouroboros, etc.

The Okami Shuffle THC is godlike though. It costs two bars so it's pretty much guaranteed that if your first character dies and your second one survives incoming you get to use it. Marlinpie gets like 4 or 5 mixups during it, it's insane. And the last hit of Okami Shuffle puts the opponent into hard knockdown so if your second character can combo from an OTG you are good to go. Okami Shuffle THC is the closest thing in the game to a match reset button.

Edit to avoid double post:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Wode9MvRz4

Stupid Vergil Devil Trigger XF infinite that kills in like 3 seconds.

Dren fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Sep 14, 2012

Fenn the Fool!
Oct 24, 2006
woohoo

canoshiz posted:

No, it's definitely a slow hard knockdown if you do it right. I mean you have enough time to teleport to the other side of the guy, then do Million Carats xx super, or fire off an Acid Rain then do Volcano -> j.S. If nothing else you could cancel into Devil Trigger when you land to cancel the recovery and raw tag to Doom and OTG with st. M into whatever.

edit: I just tested it, in the corner it works pretty well. Standard Dante BNB opening into st. S, sj H, qcf+H, tag to Doom, st. HS, sj j.M j.M footdive footdive, air qcf+H xx super (DHC to Million Dollars for easy mode damage or Devil Trigger into followup if you're feeling fancy).

I'll be damned, this does work. Though so far I can only to get it to work on Tron, every other character I try they flip out before they hit the ground or are just soft knocked down. Is there a trick to it? Also it looks like I only get one doom rep afterward which wont build enough meter for the super at the end if I go in with nothing.

FossilFuelUser
May 8, 2004
Global Warming
I'll have the hyper grav loop down for one minute and then I can't do it the next. What's wrong with me?

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

Niddhogg posted:

I'll have the hyper grav loop down for one minute and then I can't do it the next. What's wrong with me?

It's way hard in this game compared to vanilla, I only ever go for 2-3 reps.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

All of Morrigan's combos are stupid hard and I've basically given up on ever learning them :(

RageBeef
Jul 27, 2010

TOASTY!

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

All of Morrigan's combos are stupid hard and I've basically given up on ever learning them :(

What combos are you trying to learn? I have some pretty terrible execution and while it took a while to get it down, I can do the standard 4 Soul Fist jump loop consistently.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

RageBeef posted:

What combos are you trying to learn? I have some pretty terrible execution and while it took a while to get it down, I can do the standard 4 Soul Fist jump loop consistently.

The one where you (usually starting off with j.H into crouch H launcher) do a Soul Fist, fly cancel, dash down into an air H, unfly cancel, and then do the jump loop into a relaunch. I usually can do the fly cancel but either do an accidental super when I try to dash down or just sit there mashing my normals.

What combo are you doing? Have a video?

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

Basically, it's this combo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vx_X24KMbLs

If I'm really feeling myself, I can sometimes actually hit the dash down air H, sometimes I'm even lucky enough to unfly, but that's when it falls apart.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

If I'm really feeling myself, I can sometimes actually hit the dash down air H, sometimes I'm even lucky enough to unfly, but that's when it falls apart.

I forgot Morrigan even had combos beyond Soul Fist juggling.

Wozbo
Jul 5, 2010

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

This combo cannot be done via dash with joystick, you pretty much have to try and plink a LM -> h to get it to work. I've gotten like 2 loops of it before.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

The one where you (usually starting off with j.H into crouch H launcher) do a Soul Fist, fly cancel, dash down into an air H, unfly cancel, and then do the jump loop into a relaunch. I usually can do the fly cancel but either do an accidental super when I try to dash down or just sit there mashing my normals.

What combo are you doing? Have a video?

I find that when doing soul fist combos, when you fly after the first soul fist, let the stick swing back to neutral before dashing down. I just do the fly motion and let my hand come off the stick for a split second before dashing and that helps me keep the rhythm going.

RageBeef
Jul 27, 2010

TOASTY!

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

My BnB I was talking about is basically this but done through f+H instead of the launcher. This one you're trying to learn is nice because of high damage output, but after practicing it myself it's a hell of a lot more finicky on where it want the opponent to be. If the unfly to downward dash is what's giving you trouble I'd recommend trying to get that motion down consistently by using an easier combo, my recommendation would be what my current BnB is:

air H, cr.H, f+H, (air MMH, H Soul Fist, fly, dash down, H, H Soul Fist, unfly)x2, cr.H, S, air MMH, M Shadow Blade, Finishing Shower

This is a much more lenient combo in my opinion and learning to do this combo should make learning the launcher based one much easier as you can already do the basics of it. Just take the combo piece by piece, making sure you can do it consistently before adding on the next part. If you're still having trouble doing the down dash you can try replacing it with a forward dash to get the dash down and then incorporate the down when you're comfortable.

theguy2687 posted:

I find that when doing soul fist combos, when you fly after the first soul fist, let the stick swing back to neutral before dashing down. I just do the fly motion and let my hand come off the stick for a split second before dashing and that helps me keep the rhythm going.

This is also really good advice, and I wasn't even aware that I was doing this as well until I read it. Taking the stick back to neutral before going down helps a lot in making sure you're actually getting down and not a different direction.

If all else fails I know a couple easier Morrigan f+H loops that do range from 600-675k for one bar depending on where your opponent is relative to you when you do Finishing Shower that I could show you.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

welp. looks like C.Viper has a legit solo infinite now:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=slMiyQ22zr4

it's towards the end. Must be pretty hard to do if even MarlinPie is having trouble with it.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
That's not even worth the effort considering MarlinPie can kill almost any character with C.Viper off one hit anyway.

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

I could let these dreamkillers kill my self esteem or use the arrogance as the steam to follow my dream

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

welp. looks like C.Viper has a legit solo infinite now:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=slMiyQ22zr4

it's towards the end. Must be pretty hard to do if even MarlinPie is having trouble with it.

This has been known about for a while, and Fanatiq tested it on his programmable pad on stream a month ago or so. It's 1 frame.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
I am trying to pick up Deadpool/Dante/Akuma. My point Deadpool is one step above fraudulent and I can't even do Dante or Akuma bnbs but holy hell people are free to jump around with guns + jam session and tatsu. It's like zoning activates a "be dumb" switch in people's brains. If I knew the bnbs I'd actually be winning some matches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hawaiian Shirt
Oct 10, 2006

I barely even drink a lot

Dren posted:

It's like zoning activates a "be dumb" switch in people's brains.

This happens to me 99% of the time and I just can't goddamn figure out why. Someone throws a fireball and I automatically think "oh, super jumping will solve every problem forever."

• Locked thread