Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
McNerd
Aug 28, 2007

KingColliwog posted:

the scissor sweep (both the normal one and the "reverse scissor" one if that's what it's called)

What's the latter?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A flying piece of
Feb 28, 2010
NO THEY ARE NOT THE SAME THING AS CHEX
So for you wrestlers in here, what are your opinions on this medieval grappling game?

Look, thou, and see: how men in the past would wrestle in the hole.

One stands in the hole and may not remove his leg from it and his opponent must hop on one leg. Much art comes of this and it is funny to see.

It's basically a limited game. The objective is to, depending on your role, force the guy whose foot must stay on the mark to move that leg, or force the guy whose foot is off the ground to touch the ground. Or for either person to throw the other person without breaking their own limitation. The guy on the mark can really only pivot and the other can hop around freely.

It's found in a few places, but the most common reference is this: http://wiktenauer.com/wiki/Fabian_von_Auerswald

A flying piece of fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Sep 13, 2012

Kali11324
Dec 8, 2004

This space intentionally left blank

kimbo305 posted:

What art/style is the school?

Kajukenbo. We did no kicks below the belt or to the head (as if I could). No throws, just light contact.
It is an ok school. It fits my needs well. I posted a bunch about it on bullshido.
The guy I was working with is a brown belt and a little bit taller than me. It was a great sparring experience. I felt very slow and heavy.

Kumo Jr.
Mar 21, 2006

JON JONES APOLOGIST #4
My friend Gabe Varga had his K-1 debut last weekend at the LA K-1 Rising show, and the internet is buzzing about what a bright future is expected for him. He begged for this fight, and he was considered a huge underdog going in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R1R6vncsC8w

What I find particularly special about him is that he loves to train everyday, keeps his own private camp/team, and doesn't take any sort of enhancements. No protein power, no pre-workout, no coffee, etc. He tries to eat healthy balanced meals, spends most of the days leading up to a fight sleeping, and doesn't party or use substances/alcohol. If he feels lethargic from over-training, than he just shows up at the gym anyway and trains at a less intense level. He is easily the most talented person I've ever sparred with, and even with my huge height/reach advantage he makes me look silly.

He's also one of the nicest people that I know, and extremely humble. I hope this video makes all of you fans of him as well.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

entris posted:

Since I've never known anyone whose gotten a staph infection, I had to GIS it. Wow! Looks pretty lovely.

Staph sucks. Ironically I've never gotten it from training, and gotten it twice from the nasty rear end hospital in Birmingham.

Also, just found out a guy I used to train with, Marcus Brimage, was on Ultimate Fighter and also on the undercard for the next UFC. He was a goofball and a blue belt back then, awesome to hear he's done so well.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Kekekela posted:

Also, just found out a guy I used to train with, Marcus Brimage, was on Ultimate Fighter and also on the undercard for the next UFC. He was a goofball and a blue belt back then, awesome to hear he's done so well.

He's hilarious, he did an interview with ariel helwani where they had to cut like 4 minutes of footage because it was too explicit

awkward_turtle
Oct 26, 2007
swimmer in a goon sea

KingColliwog posted:

That said, I'm up for anything that could potentially work in a judo match. As long as it's within the rules/won't get a mate called I don't mind the move being considered too slow to pull off in a competition.

Depending on how high your knee is, arm drags, loop chokes, underhook back takes, triangles off of either side, omoplatas (questionably legal in judo, definitely not legal as submissions) and inverted arm bars are options. Full guard scissor is a bit more defensive minded to me, I play a lot of high knee half guard because I find it to be a better sweeping position.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Kumo Jr. posted:

My friend Gabe Varga had his K-1 debut last weekend at the LA K-1 Rising show, and the internet is buzzing about what a bright future is expected for him. He begged for this fight, and he was considered a huge underdog going in.

Jeez, what kind of weight difference was that?

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

McNerd posted:

What's the latter?

in the scissor sweep normal position, instead of going for the cross collar grip, you go over his shoulder and grab as deep as possible (bellow the other side shoulder can work, but if you can go down to his hip by sitting up it's ever better). I usually get this grip after a failed scissor sweep while my opponent is posting his arm but you can go straight for it I guess. Then you just break his posture with your grip, roll slightly to the opposite side of a regular scissor sweep and open your hips instead of doing the regular scissor motion. If you have your right knee in you sweep him to your right.

DOes this make sense? Try youtubing "reverse scissor sweep" there's a few videos that have techniques similar to what I do. I don't do it often, but I find it good to do right after a normal scissor sweep if you almost got it.

McNerd
Aug 28, 2007

KingColliwog posted:

in the scissor sweep normal position, instead of going for the cross collar grip, you go over his shoulder and grab as deep as possible (bellow the other side shoulder can work, but if you can go down to his hip by sitting up it's ever better). I usually get this grip after a failed scissor sweep while my opponent is posting his arm but you can go straight for it I guess. Then you just break his posture with your grip, roll slightly to the opposite side of a regular scissor sweep and open your hips instead of doing the regular scissor motion. If you have your right knee in you sweep him to your right.

DOes this make sense? Try youtubing "reverse scissor sweep" there's a few videos that have techniques similar to what I do. I don't do it often, but I find it good to do right after a normal scissor sweep if you almost got it.

Cool, thanks!

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Ask me about how people having a bad reaction to MSG makes them racist, because I've never heard of gluten sensitivity

Kumo Jr. posted:

He's also one of the nicest people that I know, and extremely humble. I hope this video makes all of you fans of him as well.

Sign me up for the fan club. Great fight, love the conventional wisdom vs. mini-saenchai.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Kumo Jr. posted:

What I find particularly special about him is that he loves to train everyday, keeps his own private camp/team, and doesn't take any sort of enhancements. No protein power, no pre-workout, no coffee, etc. He tries to eat healthy balanced meals, spends most of the days leading up to a fight sleeping, and doesn't party or use substances/alcohol. If he feels lethargic from over-training, than he just shows up at the gym anyway and trains at a less intense level. He is easily the most talented person I've ever sparred with, and even with my huge height/reach advantage he makes me look silly.

That was a good watch. It was great watching the cocky Thai guy taunting him get that backhand punch at 1:13. Just running around like he can just be lazy with his hands down and WHAM!

I guess I just like watching cocky people lose.

I'm not one to critique fights.....I need to take notes on his stance. Nice and calm. Hands never stay down. I stand similar but I have a problem with telegraphing my kicks and bouncing my lead leg too much - no one taught me this, I don't know why I do it. I think I have too much weight in my back foot. I finally broke the habit of moving my hands too much.

Kumo Jr.
Mar 21, 2006

JON JONES APOLOGIST #4
I can't find the official weights right now, but it was within 5-10 lbs. I think Lersila was 135 and Gabe was 140-5
He was cocky because the career record comparison going in to the fight was completely lopsided. It was a huge step-up in competition experience for Varga, but he does hold 9 international titles.
Lerdsila Chumpairtour (135-15-5) vs. Gabriel Varga (20-1) (And that one loss is highly disputed, with the audience booing the judges after the result).

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Ask me about how people having a bad reaction to MSG makes them racist, because I've never heard of gluten sensitivity
Thai fight records tend to be lopsided a bit, since they count nearly every fight in a ring regardless of circumstances. And in thailand you can fight 2, 3, 4 times per week. If he had 135 officially sanctioned matches, he'd be a lot better than he fought (not that he was that bad, but no where near 135 fights good)

Kumo Jr.
Mar 21, 2006

JON JONES APOLOGIST #4
I am so pumped for this event. Metamoris Pro invitational, wins by submissions only. Some of the greatest jiu-jitsu artists on the planet facing off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZAmdLq0xFE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFQB1oJyeOA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3WaGYPPiZI

T.S. Smelliot
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
http://blogs.fredericksburg.com/newsdesk/2012/09/13/stafford-deputies-take-down-karate-class-intruder/ anyone else wanna go dojo busting with me? Taking signs

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Hahaha pretty hilarious that there is zero mention of the school's instructor stepping in to protect his child students. I can't think of a quicker way for a martial arts instructor to lose business.

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006
I MUST TELL YOU HOW PEOPLE CARE ABOUT STUFF I DONT AND BE A COMPLETE CUNT ABOUT IT

entris posted:

Hahaha pretty hilarious that there is zero mention of the school's instructor stepping in to protect his child students. I can't think of a quicker way for a martial arts instructor to lose business.
The article is seriously lacking on details so you can't really make a good judgement.

Calling the cops is actually the right thing to do, so I don't see what the problem is. It sounds like the fathers banded together to keep the guy away from the kids, which is smart.

As talented as everyone in this thread is, verbal de-escalation does not usually get addressed in class, neither does training on how to deal with the mentally ill, and typically only the police (local and federal) get any kind of access to hostage training. (Because you really don't know this guy's motives.)

Senor P. fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Sep 14, 2012

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Teddy Riner did Judo with a bear.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

entris posted:

And then get sued, and possibly have people get hurt. Other than the touching a kid part the instructor would have been pretty stupid to try and fight the guy.

Fontoyn
Aug 25, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Related:

I actually think it'd be sweet if martial artists lived in an Ip Man world where instructors and students could pop into any random gym and challenge eachother for funsies.

But it would also be a huge clusterfuck and insurance nightmare, not to mention one or two big decent guys could probably mma their way to victory no matter what.

gently caress I miss the gym

McNerd
Aug 28, 2007

Thoguh posted:

And then get sued, and possibly have people get hurt. Other than the touching a kid part the instructor would have been pretty stupid to try and fight the guy.

Why would we ignore that part? That seems like an important part.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

KingColliwog posted:

Can anyone give me ideas on what to do once in a "scissor guard". It's my go to guard when I start to feel pressured and while I'm good at doing the scissor sweep (both the normal one and the "reverse scissor" one if that's what it's called), people are starting to catch up and are good at defending against it by now. They rarely pass me, but I always have to go back to regular open guard to start pushing pressure on people again. That's fine I guess, but I'd like to add a couple of new tricks to my scissor guard since I feel so drat comfortable in it.

this whole thing seems interesting, anyone better than me at BJJ thinks it could work? : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yn8oOBaqhK0

Coming from a no-gi perspective, there's a good triangle from that scissor guard

a la:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IyUQ4ax7bJY

And it is very very quick and sneaky.

CivilDisobedience
Dec 27, 2008
^I really like that knee move. I've been working on it a lot lately because it's a big part of the Melanson stuff (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGlLGc8zTbc) and it's a perfect compliment to the "shins on biceps" spider guard.

CivilDisobedience fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Sep 15, 2012

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
Someone who knows better than me have any suggestions on a great place to train in the Boston area?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

I reviewed Redline for you in the Boston thread. You check it out? Saw in your history you want out of striking. I guess the BJJ is more limited than a pure BJJ place. The place that was Gracie-affiliated deaffiliated but is presumably still a good place.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Novum posted:

Someone who knows better than me have any suggestions on a great place to train in the Boston area?

Jimmy Pedro's Judo club is there.

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006
I MUST TELL YOU HOW PEOPLE CARE ABOUT STUFF I DONT AND BE A COMPLETE CUNT ABOUT IT

Novum posted:

I think there are some goons in the SASS grappling thread who train at Wai-Kru, might be worth checking out. They seem to offer classes in BJJ and wrestling.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Thoguh posted:

Jimmy Pedro's Judo club is there.

Wakefield is a bit of a drive, especially in traffic to get there. I still thought about it, given how awesome the club must be.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll

kimbo305 posted:

I reviewed Redline for you in the Boston thread. You check it out? Saw in your history you want out of striking. I guess the BJJ is more limited than a pure BJJ place. The place that was Gracie-affiliated deaffiliated but is presumably still a good place.

I did check it out, thanks for that by the way. It's probably in the cards when my training gets more serious and consequently more diverse to be honest. I'll do some digging into Wai Kru and probably the Jimmy Pedro place even though I'm on bicycle transit these days. Just needed a few leads without sifting through tons of chaff online. Much obliged.

E: Hot drat, Jimmy Pedro runs a free month for an introductory program. Guess who's gonna take the bus into Wakefield.

Novum fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Sep 15, 2012

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

A flying piece of posted:

So for you wrestlers in here, what are your opinions on this medieval grappling game?

Look, thou, and see: how men in the past would wrestle in the hole.

One stands in the hole and may not remove his leg from it and his opponent must hop on one leg. Much art comes of this and it is funny to see.

It's basically a limited game. The objective is to, depending on your role, force the guy whose foot must stay on the mark to move that leg, or force the guy whose foot is off the ground to touch the ground. Or for either person to throw the other person without breaking their own limitation. The guy on the mark can really only pivot and the other can hop around freely.

It's found in a few places, but the most common reference is this: http://wiktenauer.com/wiki/Fabian_von_Auerswald

Medieval grappling is weird, especially the stuff that's meant to be done in armour. One line from a manual that sticks in my memory is something like "place your foote behind the foote of your opponent, and press ye hard into his chest with thine shoulder. When he falleth, falleth upon him with thine knee in his groine, the better to hurte him. Then worke toward his visor with thine dagger". There were diagrams of the tripping, the ball kneeing, and the eye stabbing.

The vikings had two wrestling type games. With the first one, you both start with one hand on a short stick, and the first person to submit or let go of the stick loses. The only other rule is "no weapons". The second is less fun - you both stand with feet planted at shoulder width and your fingers interlocking with your opponent's fingers. The first person to submit, break grip, or lift a heel off the ground loses.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

AlphaDog posted:

The second is less fun - you both stand with feet planted at shoulder width and your fingers interlocking with your opponent's fingers. The first person to submit, break grip, or lift a heel off the ground loses.

I actually don't know how common this game is elsewhere, but people still do this in Norway! It's rather common as duders start getting drunk. Around here it's now called 'mercy', from what you say to give in.

The vikings did two other types of wrestling as well.
Glima wrestling: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVGB1Z3btIY
Water Wrestling, for which this quote will have to do: "The idea was to keep the opponents head under water until he gave up. These matches often lasted for hours and were the most popular form of swimming competition."

This is what happens when people don't have the Internet.

Antinumeric
Nov 27, 2010

BoxGiraffe

Bohemian Nights posted:

I actually don't know how common this game is elsewhere, but people still do this in Norway! It's rather common as duders start getting drunk. Around here it's now called 'mercy', from what you say to give in.

Water Wrestling, for which this quote will have to do: "The idea was to keep the opponents head under water until he gave up. These matches often lasted for hours and were the most popular form of swimming competition."

This is what happens when people don't have the Internet.

We have mercy in the UK, same name, just without the heel rule. Never knew it was an old Viking game. It's something kids/ young teenagers play in the playground.

Rinar
Sep 9, 2007

Bohemian Nights posted:

Glíma(it's just the icelandic word for wrestling) is still practised in Iceland today, it's still taught in schools to the kids, it's quite fun as it has much more limited position than other wrestling so it's quick to learn.

It's only shown on TV during the national championships so here are some highlights from the last thirty years as it's the best I could find.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_haS_FaTekE

Ignore the lovely music.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
Glima looks a great deal like Korean ssireum.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
THIS is how you properly train with the heavy bag and this is also the proper outfit - if not fielding the GIMP instead of course, which is another satisfactory option. Also check out the mad stretches in the end. Pro.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

:eyepop:

Those Muay Thai kata videos got taken down :(

I did some creeping, though

Get it grandma

Don't forget your notebooks

Shin pads required for warm-up

Cute

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150868762023595.402376.55620788594&type=1

I guess for the low price of $499 you go on this "retreat," or whatever, to learn Tran level 1 Muay Thai!

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=3410504021045

Training music required

Guilty
May 3, 2003
500 loving dollars?? Please tell me bullshido is all over that

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Oh I just made that up. But he has different "levels" of training. So you can teach and or start your own McDojo? I guess? DVDs, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Faggot
Jun 11, 2009

Christoff posted:

Those Muay Thai kata videos got taken down :(

I noticed this the other day and just came in here to ask if anybody saved them. That's a shame.

• Locked thread