Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

Invalid Octopus posted:

This is the right answer.

I know :3:!

I have no idea how anyone could put up with a Brittany. Someone at my complex owns one and its always dragging its owner around despite the fact that its tiny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Invalid Octopus
Jun 30, 2008

When is dinner?

wtftastic posted:

I know :3:!

I have no idea how anyone could put up with a Brittany. Someone at my complex owns one and its always dragging its owner around despite the fact that its tiny.

Only problem is there aren't any decent working clumber breeders in the US. Even the few people who work their dogs have gross show-looking ones. There are some great breeders in the UK though!

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
I have a Brittany in my daycare and she is a nice dog, but she's like a bouncy little caffeinated thing.

My daycare is getting shut down (funding) and I'm really sad I won't get to see my favorite little ACD/terrier mix anymore. :( I'm getting transferred to our other, more crappy daycare where I'll do daycare/day training/behavior helpline with the intent to move to just day training.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

adventure in the sandbox posted:

Good point, thanks!! :D

Hm. And after being used to the responsiveness of my GSDs, I don't know if I would appreciate that in another dog. And that breeding being so focused on hunting would probably produce just what you are describing.

Aren't springer spaniels supposed to be pretty responsive? I kind of love them :3:

get a kooikerhondje, just get one now

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

Fraction posted:

Aren't springer spaniels supposed to be pretty responsive? I kind of love them :3:

I think, once properly trained, they're really responsive, zippy, showy little dogs. I think it takes some work to get them to that point - perhaps a bit more than, say, a moderate GSD.

Hardwood Floor
Sep 25, 2011

I had to take my dog to the vet today because he was barfing up yellow liquid and drinking tons of water.
Turns out he found my curry chicken. Poor dog. Went ahead and got a de-wormer anyway in case that's part of the issue (even if the fecal test came out normal) but right now he's just really upset and butthurt. :(

Wheats
Sep 28, 2007

strange sisters

Pew! Pew! posted:

I had to take my dog to the vet today because he was barfing up yellow liquid and drinking tons of water.
Turns out he found my curry chicken. Poor dog. Went ahead and got a de-wormer anyway in case that's part of the issue (even if the fecal test came out normal) but right now he's just really upset and butthurt. :(

This has happened to Skylar, because she likes spicy foods. Keep lots of water out for your dog, and if you need to, wash his butt gently with cool water and a washcloth you don't care about ruining after he poops, if you're worried about discomfort from the spiciness. Feel free to question the life choices that led to you washing your dog's butt afterwards, I always do.

notsoape
Jul 19, 2009

WWDD?

Wheats posted:

It's weird knowing when it's going to happen. Right now I'm being the responsible one and planning things out and just making the dog happy. Once she's gone I can cry.

Ugh I've been there and it sucks and I'm sorry :sympathy:. My personal ~~*rainbow bridge*~~ is Jimmy Stewart's Beaux, I think it sums the whole Losing A Dog thing up pretty well.

Tell Skylar she is a good biba from me :unsmith:

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

notsoape posted:

Ugh I've been there and it sucks and I'm sorry :sympathy:. My personal ~~*rainbow bridge*~~ is Jimmy Stewart's Beaux, I think it sums the whole Losing A Dog thing up pretty well.

There is something in my eye all of a sudden...

My "sobbing about dogs" poem is Samantha by Edward Albee. I heard him read it on a movie about dogs (My Dog on Netflix) and I had to pause for a bit to compose myself.

Wheats, you're a good person taking care of the old lady with respect and dignity and joy. I wish we all had someone so caring at the end.

vvv That is not a normal looking dog :staredog: vvv

Instant Jellyfish fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Sep 14, 2012

cryingscarf
Feb 4, 2007

~*FaBuLoUs*~

I just saw this on FB and I don't believe I have seen it mentioned on PI yet! Apparently this dane is the new wold's tallest dog. I cannot stop staring at how funky his body structure is, especially his mile long straight front legs.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/great-dane-michigan-named-world-tallest-dog-article-1.1158804

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Is that what you're posting?

cryingscarf posted:

I just saw this on FB and I don't believe I have seen it mentioned on PI yet! Apparently this dane is the new wold's tallest dog. I cannot stop staring at how funky his body structure is, especially his mile long straight front legs.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/great-dane-michigan-named-world-tallest-dog-article-1.1158804

Watching him walk is painful. :(

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink

cryingscarf posted:

He was on Good Morning America this morning & his back legs were shaking like crazy. I couldn't tell if he was just really nervous/scared or if he always has problems supporting his body on those crazy long legs.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

cryingscarf posted:

This dog looks awful. :smith:

Invalid Octopus
Jun 30, 2008

When is dinner?

Kerfuffle posted:

This dog looks awful. :smith:

His feet totally creep me out :(

adventure in the sandbox
Nov 24, 2005

Things change

wtftastic posted:

How about a hound of some sort? Or a poodle? A poodle might be more biddable and have less insane exercise requirements. Or a working Sussex (http://www.sussexspaniels.org/performance.html) or Clumber?

Hound, I'd be worried it'd smell bear or deer and be off to find that critter.

I really like the idea of a poodle! But I dread the maintenance on that coat, especially being out in the bush with prickly stuff. Spaniels would have the same issue though.

Sussex and Clumber spaniels... I think I picture a show-bred dog for both, kinda homely to my eyes, but the hunt lines are much more capable looking. And they are an upland hunter, dense cover dog. Hm.

Invalid Octopus posted:

Only problem is there aren't any decent working clumber breeders in the US. Even the few people who work their dogs have gross show-looking ones. There are some great breeders in the UK though!

Dilemma solved, I'm not importing a dog :)

Fraction posted:

ESSs are so sweet :3: I'm also adding Gordon Setter to the maybe-future-gundog list. My step-father-in-law had one that was an absolute dolt, but in theory the breed would suit me.

Kooikerhondje, I don't hunt ducks (yet)!

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

I really like the idea of a poodle! But I dread the maintenance on that coat, especially being out in the bush with prickly stuff. Spaniels would have the same issue though.

Sussex and Clumber spaniels... I think I picture a show-bred dog for both, kinda homely to my eyes, but the hunt lines are much more capable looking. And they are an upland hunter, dense cover dog. Hm.

Dilemma solved, I'm not importing a dog :)

ESSs are so sweet :3: I'm also adding Gordon Setter to the maybe-future-gundog list. My step-father-in-law had one that was an absolute dolt, but in theory the breed would suit me.

What are Gordon Setters like, temperament wise? When I was a little girl, I loved the pictures of them in dog books and used to dream about having one.

Andrias Scheuchzeri
Mar 6, 2010

They're very good and intelligent, these tapa-boys...
If you keep poodle coats clipped short all over, is there much other maintenance? I suppose even short, the curliness would pick up more stuff in the underbrush, though I don't really recall ever noticing that.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

GoreJess posted:

He was on Good Morning America this morning & his back legs were shaking like crazy. I couldn't tell if he was just really nervous/scared or if he always has problems supporting his body on those crazy long legs.

If you look at this video of him here on his home turf: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSeiCtv8Nts then he actually seems pretty normal, other than being freaking enormous. I just mean that he doesn't seem to have any major health issues right now and comes across as a pretty happy dog. He was probably just absurdly nervous to be in this crazy TV studio full of strangers and bright lights.

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

Hahaha their other two dogs can literally walk under him without ducking.

Susan Calvin
Oct 20, 2008

But how does that make you feel?
Last night my roommate walked into the kitchen to find his deaf cat being an idiot. Here is a picture:

I call it "Spencer, you are not soup."

Sorry for cellphone quality, it's what we had at the time.

demozthenes
Feb 14, 2007

Wicked pissa little critta

Any hunting dog you could possibly consider will need to have this habit broken. It's a pretty simple process, depending on which type you choose. Look at "stock breaking" and "deer breaking" for info.

Your first consideration here should be, "Can I satisfy this dog's drive outside of hunting season?" Tons of hunters don't think about this and end up surrendering beautifully-bred Brittanies and vizslas because they just cannot satisfy their drive without the ability to work them. An adult hound might be a good choice for you since they can usually be satisfied with a nice jog or hike - pretty much any breed can be trained to be a decent bird dog, as you've found with the GSDs!

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

kaworu posted:

If you look at this video of him here on his home turf: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSeiCtv8Nts then he actually seems pretty normal, other than being freaking enormous. I just mean that he doesn't seem to have any major health issues right now and comes across as a pretty happy dog. He was probably just absurdly nervous to be in this crazy TV studio full of strangers and bright lights.

Yeah, he moves fine for a giant oversized doofy dane, especially at three. His legs are enormous, and he's a pretty drat good example of why I dislike breeding danes to make them bigger than they should be. Still, I'm glad he's happy and healthy and dumb and clearly well loved. He's thin, but some danes just don't keep weight on no matter how much you cram down their throats.

The saddle thing she says is why I just gave up and got saddles for the danes. gently caress it. When people ask if they have saddles, I can tell them they do and they seem to get a kick out of it. Not to mention the drat dogs are all about being saddled and led around like ponies.

Radio! posted:

Hahaha their other two dogs can literally walk under him without ducking.

:colbert: This is just a perk of having a dane in general.

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

Bailey is such a weirdo. Some dogs, he'll go crazy and run all over with, but with several of the dogs in my complex all he wants to do is sniff the other dog, look at him, mark where he marked and just kind of chill with him. Usually these are calmer dogs too.

The fact that he kind of tailors how playful he is to the other dog's energy level is super cool to me. I kind of wish I had the space and time for a second dog. I think Bailey would really like it.

EDIT: Also I found Gumbo's long lost brother: http://caspcapets.shelterbuddy.com/animal/animalDetails.asp?animalid=30569&result=22&statusID=3&s=adoption

wtftastic fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Sep 14, 2012

JimmydaFish
Apr 23, 2008

This is some serious argy-bargy!

Susan Calvin posted:

Last night my roommate walked into the kitchen to find his deaf cat being an idiot. Here is a picture:

I call it "Spencer, you are not soup."

Sorry for cellphone quality, it's what we had at the time.

He's seems like he's in his own special world. :downs:

Wheats
Sep 28, 2007

strange sisters

notsoape posted:

Instant Jellyfish posted:

Wheats, you're a good person taking care of the old lady with respect and dignity and joy. I wish we all had someone so caring at the end.

Thank you both. I'm glad I can come here and post about my Dog Feelings sometimes. My family loves Skylar, but I'm the big dog nerd in the family and besides, there's some things that I just can't tell my sister right now. Like, last night I was thinking about how I would never have picked Skylar myself. Beck is my ideal dog- she's focused on me, ready to chill out or do a ton of activity with me, and she's very smart and calculating. Skylar is flighty, sometimes anxious, kind of dim, and she'd rather play with her Tug a Jug or wrestle with Beck than play with people.

But all that aside, I love her. She's eager to follow me around, she always turns to me for reassurance, and she cracks me up. She's my little biba, and because of her I love dumb weird dogs. I can't imagine never having a dog like her again.

Half the time I think "Okay, in a year or so we can find another dog that gets along with Beck", and the other half I'm going "a bloo bloo bloo, I just want Beck and Skylar forever they are so perfect together :qq:"

I'm going to take her to get the mail now and then cook her a bunch of scrambled eggs.

edit: I made the eggs with some leftover ham. Skylar did a dance, Beck gave me her "it breaks my heart how much you disappoint me" look. gently caress you dog, I didn't have to give you any eggs t:mad:

Wheats fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Sep 14, 2012

Keelbone
Sep 3, 2011

beyond the sunset leads my way

JimmydaFish posted:

Or he's about to jet off to the moon :3:

UltraGrey
Feb 24, 2007

Eat a grass.
Have a barf.

kaworu posted:

His back leg is still shaking while he's waiting for water at the sink though. I don't think he is About To Break at a Moment's Notice, but he certainly isn't a stunning dog or anything, besides being freakishly tall.

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

I love Hitler and Hitler loves me! He's not all bad, Hitler just needs someone to believe in him! Can't you just give Hitler a chance?

Quality Pugamutes now available, APR/APRI/NKC approved breeder. PM for details.

Wheats posted:

Thank you both. I'm glad I can come here and post about my Dog Feelings sometimes. My family loves Skylar, but I'm the big dog nerd in the family and besides, there's some things that I just can't tell my sister right now. Like, last night I was thinking about how I would never have picked Skylar myself. Beck is my ideal dog- she's focused on me, ready to chill out or do a ton of activity with me, and she's very smart and calculating. Skylar is flighty, sometimes anxious, kind of dim, and she'd rather play with her Tug a Jug or wrestle with Beck than play with people.

But all that aside, I love her. She's eager to follow me around, she always turns to me for reassurance, and she cracks me up. She's my little biba, and because of her I love dumb weird dogs. I can't imagine never having a dog like her again.

Half the time I think "Okay, in a year or so we can find another dog that gets along with Beck", and the other half I'm going "a bloo bloo bloo, I just want Beck and Skylar forever they are so perfect together :qq:"

:smith: I had a foster dog I felt this way about. He was only with me for a few months, I can't imagine what you're feeling. Hang in there, Wheats.

quote:

I'm going to take her to get the mail now and then cook her a bunch of scrambled eggs.

edit: I made the eggs with some leftover ham. Skylar did a dance, Beck gave me her "it breaks my heart how much you disappointment me" look. gently caress you dog, I didn't have to give you any eggs t:mad:

dog.txt

Lefty Lugubrious
Apr 30, 2006

Rodent Mortician posted:

Welp, don't want to live today. Shelter begging me to come get a rabbit that some ~*~show rabbit breeder~*~ sold to some loving heehaw at the fair. The heehaw tried to castrate it by banding it, and now the poor thing is in agony and likely dying, and dumped at the shelter because the idiot wouldn't take him to the vet.

I've been checking the thread hoping to see an update on the rabbit. Did you end up getting it, or were you just venting?

Rodent Mortician
Mar 17, 2009

SQUEAK.

Lefty Lugubrious posted:

I've been checking the thread hoping to see an update on the rabbit. Did you end up getting it, or were you just venting?

Yeah, I'm a sucker, I'm taking an hour drive tomorrow to pick him up and get him to a place closer to us with some room. Apparently the area looks horrible, but they're a podunk shelter whose vet really doesn't have any rabbit experience, so who knows how good/bad a shape he's in.

El Gar
Apr 12, 2007

Hey Trophy...

Did I tell PI about the cat I found? Lemme quote myself from another thread:

El Gar posted:

hey cool some dipshit dumped a litter of kittens in the water truck at the construction site next door

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQeZYnSMbKg

gently caress this whole gay earth

El Gar posted:

the kitten is at his foster home and his name is Yeti now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7GlhqfTzBJg
there was a cool cat at the shelter named Seven who was allowed the run of the place

there are two other cats at his new foster home who will keep him company and teach him how to be a cat or whatever

Well that was over a week ago here is today's update:

El Gar posted:

yo i got an update on that abandoned kitten what was left in a water truck along with his dead littermates. turns out he had distemper aka fpv which is super deadly and only 5% of cats survive it. he survived it and is back from the vet and is probably gonna pull through.

his foster owners brought him by to say hi:

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

I don't care :mad:

ears :3:

I'm pretty sure the only reason I still have my mice is so that I can take them out and look at their ears.

e:
^^^ You're so happy with the kitten! :neckbeard: Glad to hear they're doing okay.

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
Oh man I was sure that kitten was dead, I'm happy to hear he survived and has a foster. :neckbeard:

Susan Calvin
Oct 20, 2008

But how does that make you feel?

JimmydaFish posted:

That was like my fifth try, I was laughing too hard to get a decent picture. But he is derpy.

Here he is looking sorry for what he's doing:

(He wasn't.)

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

I'm pretty amazed that, in the span of 10 minutes outside in the rain, Amy bambi-sprawls all over the porch, Kaydee takes a header into a mud puddle (and she's going to the vet tomorrow for her shots) and Ires gets landed on so hard by Amy that she hobbles around for a bit (she's fine now). They're all filthy and soaked. Balen was the only one out there that didn't do anything retarded. Maybe it's a good thing I live in the desert now. :ohdear:

Wheats
Sep 28, 2007

strange sisters

El Gar posted:

the world's angriest kitten

I've never had a cat, let alone a kitten, but I'm going to assume that this level of indignation is normal.

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

So, this is a bunch of total E/N bullshit, but I'm sure my husband is sick of hearing it, so I'm venting it all on you guys. I swear I've actually been close to completely walking out on my job lately, and that is absolutely NOT my personality. I am just getting SO fed up with working for someone who has no single clue about dogs, refuses to further her education to become even remotely current, claims to use "positive reinforcement" but constantly raves about Cesar Milan, yells at dogs to try to get them to stop barking, but wonders why all of a sudden she's loosing clients when for the first time, the front desk area has a view to the back. The one instance where I honestly considered walking out when my baby and my mortgage flashed before my eyes, she threw a loving brush at a nervous, kenneled dog because the barking was getting on her nerves. It's ridiculous. She knew I was just about to say something, too (because I'd been trying to edge in here & there that yelling at them doesn't work) and cut me off with an, "I don't want to hear it!" before I could. I didn't even talk to her for pretty much the rest of the day, and like I said, I nearly just walked out then & there.

Now she's had a backlash of, "I'm going to fix all the dogs!! :downs: " by trying to "teach" them to quit barking by giving them leash corrections for so much as moving, and giving them treats for sitting (but wouldn't even let me finish a sentence when I tried to warn her that she might accidentally teach the dog to get up MORE because it knows sitting after standing gives the reward). The most absurd part of it all, is that all this came about once I actually started moving forward trying to start a business training. She's always been "supportive" with the idea when all I did was talk about it, but the second I was actually talking about how I was going to be ready to take on clients soon, and that if she comes across X Y or Z type of person/dog that she can give them my info, all this bullshit came about. God forbid anyone knows anything more than she does, she takes it on as competition. I don't want your loving business lady, you already tried selling it to me. She just doesn't like the thought of her not being the be all, end all of her clients. So I've had to learn just to shut up about it, because it's putting my actual, paying job in jeopardy. But that's an awfully hard thing to do when you hear her dolling out bullshit advice and talking down about how clients need to work on their dogs when they're already doing the best they can in a short amount of time. You have to WAIT for loving classes to start, you can't just jump in the second someone tells you, you need them!

The real kicker is when we were talking about ever not having our dogs the other day. We were going through hypotheticals of what it would take for us to give up our pets, and I mentioned that if for any reason I couldn't have mine, my cat would go to my sister, and Buddy would go to my brother because I know he's the only person I've ever let watch him (i.e. the only person I could trust). She replies, "Oh, I think [your brother] and I would have to have Buddy in shared custody." Lady, I saw you loving alpha roll your dog the day before, you think I'd EVER consider letting you take care of my HUSKY? EVERY dog you've ever owned has been crazy, that is NOT a coincidence.

AAARRRGGHHHH!!!!!
:sigh:
Thanks, PI.

Edit: Here, have a Buddy for listening to me rant. :unsmith:

WolfensteinBag fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Sep 15, 2012

A Sleepy Budgie
Jan 6, 2010

A friend in need
is a friend indeed
:unsmith:
Yeah, I would be telling the owner of that dog that their dog is being abused and to go somewhere else and then just walk out and never come back.

I understand why you are so frustrated. I wouldn't put up with that poo poo. But then I don't have a baby....

You deserve better and so do these dogs and their owners.

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
What a bitch. :( I hope you can get out of there soon. Does she have any certification/membership with APDT, CCPDT, etc.? Is there a way you can get proof (or at least witnesses willing to speak out against her) that she's being awful to these dogs to give to said organizations to at least strip her of her cert/membership? Assuming of course that's something you'd be willing to fool with, which is completely understandable if you don't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

Skizzles posted:

What a bitch. :( I hope you can get out of there soon. Does she have any certification/membership with APDT, CCPDT, etc.? Is there a way you can get proof (or at least witnesses willing to speak out against her) that she's being awful to these dogs to give to said organizations to at least strip her of her cert/membership? Assuming of course that's something you'd be willing to fool with, which is completely understandable if you don't.

HA! You mean put the most minimal amount of effort to at least appear current? I guarantee you she had no idea what those acronyms even meant before I told her, and she still probably doesn't even know. My years and years of personal research and education are just chatting with people online, you see.

In short, no, nothing I could do even if my job weren't on the line. Illinois doesn't even require grooming certification (not that that's the issue). And believe me, I would love nothing more than to give a big "gently caress off" to the place and spread the word about it, but I've been literally trying for years, now, to find another job with comparable pay/hours with zero luck. She knows it, too, so she feels like she can treat me even worse because she knows I'm stuck. :( Sorry, getting a little off track, but still utterly frustrating.

• Locked thread