Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
Well, that's disappointing about the Focus.

Edit: Wait, no, I misread it. Less than 15% drivetrain loss? Not bad at all.

Warcabbit fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Sep 10, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

More than likely under rated from the factory.

thesurlyspringKAA
Jul 8, 2005
And that torque number is insane, no? Lines up with what some auto journos said about the still-present torque steer, even with all sorts of gizmos to try and kill it.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Endless Mike posted:

Cobb has a Focus ST for tuning. Their baseline dyno runs showed 224.7 hp, 283 ft.-lb. at the wheels from the factory (average of three runs) with a strange hp dip at 5300 rpm.

http://fordstnation.com/focus-st-performance/1679-cobb-tunings-focus-st-info-status-dyno-results-etc.html

I had to check because that seems like more torque than was advertised. Looks like they only advertise 270 ft-lbs so that's a pretty nice bump.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Yay, the dude on that forum who works in the factory says ST3s are scheduled to start production Oct. 1 and ship two weeks later. I might have my car before November!

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
I've been drooling over that focus st since I found out about it. So much for so little.

I've been rolling around in suv land (parent's old car, can't say no to free) so long I'm having some kind of weird rebound lusting after minis and abarths and focuses. I want it small, turboed yet strangely practical.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
Is the ST2 stereo really worth it? I mean, two grand... geez. But it's the part of the car that gets the most use...

Well, it does, I have a 30 mile each way commute.

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

Endless Mike posted:

Cobb has a Focus ST for tuning. Their baseline dyno runs showed 224.7 hp, 283 ft.-lb. at the wheels from the factory (average of three runs) with a strange hp dip at 5300 rpm.

http://fordstnation.com/focus-st-performance/1679-cobb-tunings-focus-st-info-status-dyno-results-etc.html

Just so that people don't need to register to see the dyno (like I had to).

286 ft.lbs TO THE WHEELS until 4500 RPMs. That is pretty incredible for such a small engine. These bad-boys are almost certainly going to put down around 320ft.lbs with a tune.

discstickers
Jul 29, 2004

Warcabbit posted:

Is the ST2 stereo really worth it? I mean, two grand... geez. But it's the part of the car that gets the most use...

ST2 is more than a stereo... Recaro seats for starters.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Warcabbit posted:

I have the upgraded Sony stereo in my Fusion and I love it. Haven't ever thought once about changing anything with it. I used to do the car audio stuff in my teens, but now I'm in my 30's and just want poo poo to work right. I've found it to be a very nice system. Plenty of bass, plenty of power.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

discstickers posted:

ST2 is more than a stereo... Recaro seats for starters.

Yeah, you definitely want the Recaros.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

oRenj9 posted:

Just so that people don't need to register to see the dyno (like I had to).

286 ft.lbs TO THE WHEELS until 4500 RPMs. That is pretty incredible for such a small engine. These bad-boys are almost certainly going to put down around 320ft.lbs with a tune.
I didn't realize you had to register to view. Imgur was giving me issues so I couldn't add the picture.

That said, there's some concern that the turbo is about at its limit as-is, so no one's quite sure what it'll be capable of.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
http://www.autoblog.com/2012/09/11/2012-tesla-model-s-first-drive-review-video

So the first couple Tesla Model S have been delivered to customers. This is the first real write-up I've seen about one. The Roadster was a Lotus with an electric drivetrain jammed in, which doesn't really prove that Tesla is able to put together a car. I like the looks of the production Model S a ton, it looks like a Jag crossed with a Panamera, but good. It's a good thing that they have a gigantic power option, because 4,647 lbs is quite porky, even for a full size sedan.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!

Tekne posted:

First drive of the SRT Viper: http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/1209_2013_srt_viper_first_drive/

Looks like the new car is everything it's touted to be, massively increased comfort and refinement with better performance.

I really wish they wouldn't have messed with the styling on the front end of the car as much as they did. It looks pretty boring now.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
250 units sounds about right:
http://jalopnik.com/5942712/volvo-is-actually-building-a-small-hot-rod-for-us-americans
If these don't sell out, I'll sneer even harder at the "I'd buy a diesel manual AWD X for sure!" types.

assfucker420
May 14, 2012

by T. Mascis

Cream_Filling posted:

I've never quite understood why anyone would buy a Honda Accord coupe. The sedan, I get it: you need decent reliable transportation with more room than a compact car. But why the coupe? It doesn't even look that much better and it's cutting into the half the point of an Accord - it's bigger than a Civic or competing midsize sedans. If I wanted a cheap giant boat of a coupe, I'd buy a Dodge Challenger or a pony car, which actually look cool and have more power.

Is it like an insurance and ownership cost thing?

The Accord coupe I think was meant to replace the Prelude, even though they were sold alongside each other for over a decade.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

kimbo305 posted:

http://jalopnik.com/5942712/volvo-is-actually-building-a-small-hot-rod-for-us-americans
If these don't sell out, I'll sneer even harder at the "I'd buy a diesel manual AWD X for sure!" types.

Hey, I always said that is the Focus ST came out here, I'd get one. It's out, and I'm getting one. They just have to hurry up and build the damned thing.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Weinertron posted:

So the first couple Tesla Model S have been delivered to customers. This is the first real write-up I've seen about one. The Roadster was a Lotus with an electric drivetrain jammed in, which doesn't really prove that Tesla is able to put together a car. I like the looks of the production Model S a ton, it looks like a Jag crossed with a Panamera, but good. It's a good thing that they have a gigantic power option, because 4,647 lbs is quite porky, even for a full size sedan.
That's pretty amazing. And it really does look fantastic.

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

assfucker420 posted:

The Accord coupe I think was meant to replace the Prelude, even though they were sold alongside each other for over a decade.

I think the S2000 was more of a replacement for the Prelude.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

assfucker420 posted:

What time period are we talking about here? Pre-80s? The Accord coupe's been sold in the US since at least the 80s. Not to mention the fact that the 80s Accords are so radically different from the modern ones that they're basically similar in name only.

And the current Accord coupe is like a full foot longer than the last Prelude, so honestly the comparison really doesn't hold anymore.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

oRenj9 posted:

I think the S2000 was more of a replacement for the S600.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Weinertron posted:

Saw one casually parked on a street in Philadelphia about 2 weeks ago. Not in a wealthy neighborhood either. It was some sort of gunmetal metallic color and I thought it was a Maserati at first. Holy poo poo, it's a gorgeous, gorgeous car.

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007

kimbo305 posted:

I'd buy one... if I could even afford the payments, let alone the insurance...

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

Faerunner posted:

I'd buy one... if I could even afford the payments, let alone the insurance...

I've got to say this is the first Volvo I've been intrigued by. It doesn't help that I've been DDing a turbo hatch for the last few weeks. How's life outside of SAABland? :(

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007

Viggen posted:

I've got to say this is the first Volvo I've been intrigued by. It doesn't help that I've been DDing a turbo hatch for the last few weeks. How's life outside of SAABland? :(

Our Forester is awesome, but I mostly drive the Cherokee (and... well, mostly drove the Cherokee the two years we had the 9-3, so...) so it isn't much of a change for me.

TheGoatTrick
Aug 1, 2002

Semi-aquatic personification of unstoppable douchery
The MINI Paceman is pointless, but at least it looks nice.

It's basically a less practical version of the Countryman, a car which was made because the regular hardtop MINI isn't practical enough. Reports so far are that it drives better than a Countryman, so there will inevitablely be a John Cooper Works AWD variant.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

hedge posted:

The MINI Paceman is pointless

More pointless or less pointless than the MINI Coupe?

TheGoatTrick
Aug 1, 2002

Semi-aquatic personification of unstoppable douchery

Q_res posted:

More pointless or less pointless than the MINI Coupe?
Less pointless but still pointless nonetheless.

I see an unusually high number of MINI Coupes around, so I guess it's a good thing I'm not in charge of the company.

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

kimbo305 posted:

Im confused whats all that special about this.
Doesnt the polestar package(which is available now)bump power to 250hp 273 torque anyway?

So really the special editions are getting blue paint, mono-tube dampers, stiffer springs, and steering tweaks? poo poo, I almost forgot the option for dealer price gouging!

Kind of a let down. I still want my AWD powder blue 400hp super wagon for not a lot of money. Dont any of you wake me from my dream.

XCPuff
Nov 26, 2005

FEAR THIS MAN

Franco Caution posted:

Im confused whats all that special about this.
Doesnt the polestar package(which is available now)bump power to 250hp 273 torque anyway?

So really the special editions are getting blue paint, mono-tube dampers, stiffer springs, and steering tweaks? poo poo, I almost forgot the option for dealer price gouging!

Kind of a let down. I still want my AWD powder blue 400hp super wagon for not a lot of money. Dont any of you wake me from my dream.

I think that was called the Magnum SRT8?

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta

XCPuff posted:

I think that was called the Magnum SRT8?

I don't think you could get AWD on the SRT. Only on the RT, I believe.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

hedge posted:

It's basically a less practical version of the Countryman, a car which was made because the regular hardtop MINI isn't practical enough. Reports so far are that it drives better than a Countryman, so there will inevitablely be a John Cooper Works AWD variant.

Not gonna lie, I quite like that. Would definitely rock an All4 JCW model.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

2ndclasscitizen posted:

Not gonna lie, I quite like that. Would definitely rock an All4 JCW model.

Just to be clear, you really want a MINI that has been raised and turned into an SUV, then had the rear doors taken off and turned into a SUV Coupe, then lowered again (the JCW has lower suspension) to improve on road performance while sacrificing off-road pretensions.

I don't understand people.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Yes.

Hog Obituary
Jun 11, 2006
start the day right

Throatwarbler posted:

Just to be clear, you really want a MINI that has been raised and turned into an SUV, then had the rear doors taken off and turned into a SUV Coupe, then lowered again (the JCW has lower suspension) to improve on road performance while sacrificing off-road pretensions.

You just don't get it maaaaaaaaan

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

oRenj9 posted:

Honda actually stated in their product planning that the Accord Coupe was intended to replace the Prelude. Hence the offering of the V6 manual which was not offered in the sedan.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

hedge posted:

Man that looks horrible

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Throatwarbler posted:

So, in other words, standard modern BMW product planning? These are the people who brought you the X6, after all. The original SUV Coupe.

edit: Oh, also, the ugly is spreading:

New Smart car concept. Looks pretty familiar, really.

OXBALLS DOT COM fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Sep 14, 2012

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
I think X6's objectively looks cool but they're so ridiculously illogical that I won't allow myself to actually like it. I hope in 50 years they'll auction them off under the "what the hell were they thinking category".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
The trouble with the BMW 4x4 stuff is that they don't really do anything useful. If you want a 3, 5 or 6 series that's no good off-road... buy a 3, 5 or 6 series.