Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hit or miss Clitoris
Apr 19, 2003
I HAVE BEEN A VERY NAUGHTY BOY

Loving Life Partner posted:

Yeah, the only time the game was remotely difficult was when you didn't have a white mage in the party for the Burmecia/Cleyra sections.

Right now, bosses are just on life support until I steal the item I want and then it's just Bio/Zidane attack/Ramuh them to death time.

Yeah that is my exact experience. Random enemies are on life support until Quina eats them, Bosses until Zidane steals everything they have. After that it's maybe a turn or two. I'm at level 27 average, what about you?

Paperhouse posted:

There's the Excalibur II run, you basically have to get to the final dungeon in under 12 hours in order to get Steiner's best sword. I don't really know why people bother, but they do, and they spend enough time doing it to write detailed guides on doing it :stare:

:stare: Why the hell would you need to do a run like that. Guess I have the option. poo poo like that is best done right after finishing the game anyway, while it is still fresh. I'm at 24 hours now though so I'd be pretty hard pressed. But as Vil said a couple lines back, you'd have to skip all the dialogue. Who speed runs RPGs anyway?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Hit or miss Clitoris posted:

:stare: Why the hell would you need to do a run like that. Guess I have the option. poo poo like that is best done right after finishing the game anyway, while it is still fresh. I'm at 24 hours now though so I'd be pretty hard pressed. But as Vil said a couple lines back, you'd have to skip all the dialogue. Who speed runs RPGs anyway?

Kings of Poverty a couple of weeks ago had a failed speedrun of the original King's Bounty and there's a thirty minute run of Baldur's Gate 2 in the OP of the thread. People'll run anything.

SmockJoc
Oct 4, 2004
Just wanted to add my experience with getting FF7 to a playable state on my iphone, for the people asking several pages ago.

I spent 2-3 days working out the kinks and the end results were unimpressive. Once you jailbreak you buy the only PSX emulator that's available on the jailbreak store, or find it via google. You transfer the bios and cd images and tweak the program and run it and... it runs like poo poo.

Choppy framerates, constant slowdown in battles which also distort the music (based on the number of polygons on screen so boss battles and fights with 4 or more enemies really suffered), missing graphical effects, new weird graphical bugs like neon-green wireframes around the background elements, ect...

I tried to fix it, using all the google-fu I could. I tried different file settings, different emulator settings, different bios, different versions of the emulator, ect, and it all resulted in very sub-par emulation. It's playable, but barely. And for me, not worth the effort.

However, the 16-bit generation emulates like a dream! My genesis and snes emulators are practically perfect.

SmockJoc fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Sep 13, 2012

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Simarly, and I've been playing FF7 on my Nexus 7 tablet and just got to Cosmo Canyon. The game runs great but the sound skips some. I'm using FPSe for Android... Recently ripped my psx games onto my media server for use with epsxe after my psone finally died, use AndFTP to move iso and memcard files between PC and tab so I can pick up where I left off on either device.

7 runs fine out of the box but I'll be trying the presumably more taxing 8 and 9 next. Have not tried the emu on my android phone yet, but mine is a couple years old now.

Idioteque Dance
Jun 19, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

Electromax posted:

Simarly, and I've been playing FF7 on my Nexus 7 tablet and just got to Cosmo Canyon. The game runs great but the sound skips some. I'm using FPSe for Android... Recently ripped my psx games onto my media server for use with epsxe after my psone finally died, use AndFTP to move iso and memcard files between PC and tab so I can pick up where I left off on either device.

7 runs fine out of the box but I'll be trying the presumably more taxing 8 and 9 next. Have not tried the emu on my android phone yet, but mine is a couple years old now.
Have you had a problem with big black boxes covering up the dialogue and some of the environment? Seems to go away after some time but it's unpredictable and annoying. Apart from that it runs great, though.

Ormi
Feb 7, 2005

B-E-H-A-V-E
Arrest us!

Barudak posted:

Basically it was FFXI at launch all over again which means no quests, no jobs, no skills, no cool areas, bad UI, and tons of grinding. Then the guy who made FFXI and FFXIV got fired and was replaced with the guy who fixed FFXI into a good game and now FFXIV is going to relaunch into what will probably be a good game.

The FFXIV launch was incomparably bad even put next to the JP release of XI and its terrible oversights like arrows only stacking to 12. Even with all of its flaws, XI still managed to have more content, and the basic team-based gameplay was way more entertaining than plopping your immortal vampire lancer down next to some coblyns until you hit fatigue or the level cap.

---

I feel like I'm the only person who misses the old (pre-level sync, I guess, because that's when partying started getting real wonky) FFXI. It had big problems, but I think SE should have stuck to their guns and tried to solve them instead of essentially making an entirely different game. A better search and party invitation system would have gone a long way, since the way /inv worked primarily incentivized sitting around braindead, unless you were an established crafter or were experienced enough to know what you could and couldn't accomplish on your own (most players weren't).

I'll admit to having thick skin (or a masochistic appreciation?) for the kind of timesinks the game liked to throw at you, but making oddball theoretical parties and having everyone come together with a perfectly executed SATA into Skillchain into Magic Burst for high EXP gain (for the time) was so very rewarding for me.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Reminder that I got Thief/Mystic Knight/Ninja/Chemist as my Four Job Fiesta party :smug:

My LUK stat is 99.

Electromax posted:

Ooh, if I have a fairly recent Android phone (from around March or April), am I able to emulate FF7 or 9 on it? Is there a guide to getting it working somewhere?

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Ormi posted:

I'll admit to having thick skin (or a masochistic appreciation?) for the kind of timesinks the game liked to throw at you, but making oddball theoretical parties and having everyone come together with a perfectly executed SATA into Skillchain into Magic Burst for high EXP gain (for the time) was so very rewarding for me.

The problem here was poor numerical balance: the whole reason that FFXI parties ended up shifting away from that careful coordination into "spam your damage-dealing abilities whenever you could" was because you killed not just slightly but considerably more efficiently by doing it the "wrong way". This long-predated Abyssea, too, between manaburns and arrowburns and TPburns.

Also ugh, SATA. Until they added mechanics to allow thieves to do that without the whole rest of the party having to juggle aggro and positioning and hold their mouth just right, that was a horrible horrible painful mechanic that usually caused more problems than it solved. I had to fake edit this post three times to remove ranting about it, even years after I last had to deal with it.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
I loved SATA after nailing my first skillchain with it, but it was frustrating. Especially since you had to educate every party you joined on how basic mechanics of the game worked.

Ended up being more fun at the end, catching summoners or other mages who didn't have the good sense to avoid the backside of mobs.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

It wasn't the mechanics per se so much as the fact that it was much more realistic for the execution to be hosed up somehow, than for it to go off without a hitch. You have a squishy DPS (rather than an unsquishy tank) getting initial hate. They're not going to do much to try to keep hate, since the whole point is for them to only have it temporarily before the tank gets SATA'd.

Meanwhile, the tank and thief line up and if all goes well, the SATA goes off, tank can start generating hate themselves with a nice initial burst to their starting hate, and all is well and the mob sticks to the tank extra well that battle. That's if all goes well.

More often than not, there's various screw-ups trying to line up, macro misfires, or - most common of all - all of this happens slowly enough that the healer has to start curebombing the squishy DPS to keep them alive. Which of course makes the mob run after the healer instead, which not only still means someone squishy is taking hits, but also screws up the positioning.

And all of this is dead-time in which the tank is not directly generating hate (because that would turn the mob away from the squishy DPS and screw up SATA), nor is anyone else doing much of anything to damage or even debuff the mob (to make sure the hate transfer goes as planned, ideally nobody besides the squishy DPS acts on the mob at all).

In the end, it's one of those "nice idea, but falls flat in execution more often than not, and you'd be better off as a group just having the tank build their own drat hate in the first place, even though the thief themselves can't perform up to their max potential or design goal". Also, in the end, I apparently can't restrain myself from ranting about it after all.

Ormi
Feb 7, 2005

B-E-H-A-V-E
Arrest us!

Vil posted:

The problem here was poor numerical balance: the whole reason that FFXI parties ended up shifting away from that careful coordination into "spam your damage-dealing abilities whenever you could" was because you killed not just slightly but considerably more efficiently by doing it the "wrong way". This long-predated Abyssea, too, between manaburns and arrowburns and TPburns.

TP burns didn't really exist in an efficient manner pre-ToAU unless you were a monk, manaburns were highly mob-specific and exclusionary, and arrowburns... well, Rangers definitely were an order of magnitude in power above any other class for a long stretch of time. What enabled TP burning was primarily the low respawn timers that were introduced in Treasures areas. Most melee damage dealers were considered sub-par until that point, actually, especially the ones that didn't really have anything special going for them, like Warrior.

Alternatives should have been introduced to combat this, but SE's original design documents ended up covered in colibri guano.

Vil posted:

Also ugh, SATA. Until they added mechanics to allow thieves to do that without the whole rest of the party having to juggle aggro and positioning and hold their mouth just right, that was a horrible horrible painful mechanic that usually caused more problems than it solved. I had to fake edit this post three times to remove ranting about it, even years after I last had to deal with it.

Conversely, I think the last time I explained how SATA worked in a pickup was a year after the NA PS2 release, to a ninja who was convinced it meant he didn't have to provoke. I might be a statistical outlier or something, but people generally knew how to position themselves when a thief wanted to do their thing. Nearly all DDs could suffice as an off-tank for the small amount of time needed to get SATA off. Now, if you wanted to make Distortion at the same time, that could be a coordination nightmare. :shobon:

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Ormi posted:

TP burns didn't really exist in an efficient manner pre-ToAU unless you were a monk, manaburns were highly mob-specific and exclusionary, and arrowburns... well, Rangers definitely were an order of magnitude in power above any other class for a long stretch of time. What enabled TP burning was primarily the low respawn timers that were introduced in Treasures areas. Most melee damage dealers were considered sub-par until that point, actually, especially the ones that didn't really have anything special going for them, like Warrior.

If you could kill fast enough that you had to wait on repops, you were still faster than a typical SC + MB party. The idea being that you're limited by repop speed rather than kill speed. Even with neither monks in KRT nor rangers anyfuckingwhere, a roaming melee DD party could whip through enemies in places like Ru'Avitau or even Kuftal.

Ormi posted:

Conversely, I think the last time I explained how SATA worked in a pickup was a year after the NA PS2 release, to a ninja who was convinced it meant he didn't have to provoke. I might be a statistical outlier or something, but people generally knew how to position themselves when a thief wanted to do their thing. Nearly all DDs could suffice as an off-tank for the small amount of time needed to get SATA off. Now, if you wanted to make Distortion at the same time, that could be a coordination nightmare. :shobon:

This comes from your perspective as the thief, though, so you're (presumably) used to having the thief in the party being competent, since it's you. Perhaps your pug experiences were better than mine, but in my experience, the odds of a random thief being sufficiently well-coordinated that it was a "small amount of time" as you describe, were... low. They were higher if the thief, the tank, and the SATA buddy all knew each other and were used to coordinating who moved and who stood still, but in a pug, that's not a reasonable expectation.

Granted, the odds weren't super-amazingly low (decent thieves weren't nonexistent, they were just less common than subpar thieves), but low enough that it was honestly easier just to say gently caress it and let the tank build aggro from the start. After all, aggro ceilings aside - which did not play a role in pickup exp parties - tanks should be perfectly capable of doing that without leaning on a thief, so the idea of "thief helps the tank hold hate" is theoretically superfluous.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
Every tank I partied with loving loved me as Thief.

Then I leveled Paladin and stopped inviting them, because holy poo poo so many were awful.

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

Who speed runs RPGs anyway?

There's a pretty mindfucking speedrun of FFXII with live commentary that I stumbled on recently. As a consequence of fleeing from everything and only a bit of powerleveling he's way underleveled so the later bosses are quite something to watch.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B88_spHoZ8g

Hit or miss Clitoris
Apr 19, 2003

Oh my god I had no idea what I've been missing. I'm on the second video and this is amazing :allears:

If only you could skip cutscenes in IX, but I'm sold. I'm going for Excalibur II after I'm done.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Oh my god I had no idea what I've been missing. I'm on the second video and this is amazing :allears:

If only you could skip cutscenes in IX, but I'm sold. I'm going for Excalibur II after I'm done.

If you're playing on the PSX you can pop open the disc cover and close it, it'll skip the cutscene you're on.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

Are you serious? One of the best things about Final Fantasy games in particular is beating them as fast as possible on later runs. FFXII is easily the funnest to speed run. I managed to the majority of the quests and complete the game in 25 hours. If I skipped cutscenes and didn't mess up at the beginning I could have beaten it in 20. I I want to beat it in 10.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Fungah! posted:

Kings of Poverty a couple of weeks ago had a failed speedrun of the original King's Bounty and there's a thirty minute run of Baldur's Gate 2 in the OP of the thread. People'll run anything.

Why wound someone try to speedrun King's Bounty though? From playing that game it seems to be both very linear and completely unforgiving if your army's size is a good bit smaller.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Himuro posted:

If I skipped cutscenes and didn't mess up at the beginning I could have beaten it in 20. I I want to beat it in 10.

:stare:

I'm just at the Tomb of Raithwall and I'm at 12 hours.

(Of course, I just spent half an hour running in and out of a room to get a chest with an Ice Shield to spawn. :v:)

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009
I'd hate to speedrun XII, honestly, my favorite part about it is that you can really just take it on your own pace and do whatevs. On my current playthrough that I get to now and then I'm wrapping up as many hunts as I can before I get to Pharos.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

Cityinthesea posted:

I'd hate to speedrun XII, honestly, my favorite part about it is that you can really just take it on your own pace and do whatevs. On my current playthrough that I get to now and then I'm wrapping up as many hunts as I can before I get to Pharos.

Speed running XII is great because it means you're going to zones with higher enemies to get better equipment. Levels aren't more important than equipment in XII. So the game allows you some flexibility so long as you know where everything is. Of course, getting there can be a challenge in itself at really low levels and poo poo equipment.

But yeah, one thing I adore about XII is how laid back it is.

Dr Pepper posted:

:stare:

I'm just at the Tomb of Raithwall and I'm at 12 hours.

(Of course, I just spent half an hour running in and out of a room to get a chest with an Ice Shield to spawn. :v:)

My friend Red Scarlet beat FFXII in 5 hours and 45 seconds in the International version. FFXII speed runs are no joke. Speed running FFXII is all about memory (remembering where all the best loot is available and when), planning, and strategizing for key fights due to level/equipment handicap. It's far more interesting than speedrunning other FF's which are usually just straight linear treks.

If one thing is true, speed running Final Fantasy XII made it my favorite Final Fantasy. It exposes many faults, but also allows you to embrace many of its innovations. I highly suggest it.

Jupiter Jazz fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Sep 14, 2012

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

XII is probably my second favorite (Behind 5). The fact that they added a low level mode to International makes me want to try it After this run to unlock it.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I didn't like FFXII back when it first came out because it felt slow and dull. Although it's been 6 years so I'm going to give it another shot with the International Version, I already like it more because of the speed up addition, now maybe I'll get stuff done efficiently.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Cityinthesea posted:

This may surprise you but many speedrunners like going "At their own pace" as well, the first time. Speed runs arent the only way people have fun it's just one of the most universal ways to definitively defeat a game.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!
Speed running is insane sometimes.

Mister Roboto fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Oct 23, 2014

PirateNipple
Apr 5, 2004

PirateNipple posted:

Did they ever put out statistics or a fun little infographic for this year's FF5 Fiesta, something like this one from last year? I participated for the first time this year and am interested in how it all turned out!

Here is the answer to my question: they just tweeted out one!

http://letsplaying.com/FF5FF/img/HOTNFANCY2012.png

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

3/4 with a chemist lost? :psyduck:

edit: gently caress now I wanna do another challenge run.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Pollyanna posted:

3/4 with a chemist lost? :psyduck:

This truly boggles the mind.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I can see that. Most of the hardcore players probably chose Hard, which means a much smaller chance of getting a Chemist compared to Normal. Meanwhile, the Normal players are likely those not as familiar with the various ways to break FF5, and thus don't really know how powerful the Chemist can be. Also, while Chemists are amazing boss killers, they're much less useful in the usual random encounters, and enough of those could bog some people down, especially if they have a mediocre class like Monk or whatever.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Ormi posted:

I feel like I'm the only person who misses the old (pre-level sync, I guess, because that's when partying started getting real wonky) FFXI. It had big problems, but I think SE should have stuck to their guns and tried to solve them instead of essentially making an entirely different game. A better search and party invitation system would have gone a long way, since the way /inv worked primarily incentivized sitting around braindead, unless you were an established crafter or were experienced enough to know what you could and couldn't accomplish on your own (most players weren't).

I do miss the sense of community the old game established. Most of the linkshells I joined way back when I was invited to after an EXP party, and some of the people I still keep in contact with to this day I first ran into in a Dunes party. It also acted as a sieve to help weed out a lot of bad players of at least help bad players get better. If you partied with a bad healer in one party, you'd certainly want to advise your party leader not to invite him if he's seeking in your next party (who am I kidding? He's the only healer seeking tonight...).

One thing I think needs to be addressed is skill gain; it's one of the few remaining holdovers from the old system and it's absolutley incompatible with the current way exping works. Going from 30-99 in a few hours does little good when your weapon/magic skills are still stuck at below-30. I'd rather solo a job to 90+ knowing my skill points are close to cap than sit in an Abyssea party for a few hours then spend several days skilling up afterwards. I feel terrible for any new player wanting to play Warrior.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Mega64 posted:

I can see that. Most of the hardcore players probably chose Hard,

This would also explain why berserker has a higher success rate this year. It's going to be the hardcore who signed up for Hard and Berserker risk, so theyre more like to be able to deal with any "bad" setups.

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

Trasson, the fact that you didn't get a callout in this year's image is a travesty.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Evil Fluffy posted:

Why wound someone try to speedrun King's Bounty though? From playing that game it seems to be both very linear and completely unforgiving if your army's size is a good bit smaller.

Well for one, its really not linear at all. You can tackle any castle in any order and run around avoiding battles picking up treasure to buy an army.

Also, I think it still holds the record for fastest TAS speedrun. See the sceptre can appear on any tile, and with some luck manipulation, you can make it be the very first tile you begin the game on.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJjgPsg6-aI

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

PirateNipple posted:

Here is the answer to my question: they just tweeted out one!

http://letsplaying.com/FF5FF/img/HOTNFANCY2012.png

I'm not really surprised that, as you go down the job list, less and less of them appear in Hard mode.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E
All work at my job just stopped for 15 minutes while we argued if Red XIII is a dog or a cat. Of course dog wins.

Hit or miss Clitoris
Apr 19, 2003

I'm going with cat, him having all the lion traits and Hojo saying more or less the same thing in his notes.

That one girl in Del Sol does call him a dog though.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

voltron lion force posted:

Well for one, its really not linear at all. You can tackle any castle in any order and run around avoiding battles picking up treasure to buy an army.

Also, I think it still holds the record for fastest TAS speedrun. See the sceptre can appear on any tile, and with some luck manipulation, you can make it be the very first tile you begin the game on.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJjgPsg6-aI

Nevermind I was thinking of King's Bounty: The Legend, and not the original game.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Belzac posted:

All work at my job just stopped for 15 minutes while we argued if Red XIII is a dog or a cat. Of course dog wins.
He's a dog, there's both a scene and a limit break where he goes "ahwooooooooo" at the moon!

v Nah, that's Squall's fursona.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Sep 15, 2012

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Belzac posted:

Maybe he's a lion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Is there any secret to getting rages for Gau? I hate having to run around the Veldt for for-loving-ever trying to get a Rafflesia.