Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666
Japan: 810352869090
Russia: 0078202577577
UK: 08457909090
US: 1-800-273-8255

GonSmithe posted:

Please oh please oh please watch this movie. Do not go in expecting Liam Neeson punching wolves. Do not go in expecting an action movie. Go in expecting the most realistic depiction of death I've seen in recent movie history, and the feeling of utmost dread.

Please watch The Grey, you won't regret it.

Man, I soundly disagree. I was REALLY looking forward to watching The Grey, but the decision making of the characters in the film ruined it for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Elaborate, please.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

mds2 posted:

Man, I soundly disagree. I was REALLY looking forward to watching The Grey, but the decision making of the characters in the film ruined it for me.

I know what you mean, but I think it was a pretty accurate portrayal of a group of random(ish) people being put in a terrible situation, making some bad decisions (which happens a lot in reality), and suffering the consequences of those decisions. I loved it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

RoughDraft2.0 posted:

Hated the movies--well, first was okay--but the series is way, WAY better than a syndicated show had any right to be. Once you get past the first half of season 1, it really fulfilled the promise of the premise.

The first film is a god damned masterpiece, after that though...

But agreed on the series, it was a youth time favorite of mine.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Rhyno posted:

Man, I was a huge Highlander fan (First movie and the series, of course). I remember going to see Endgame in theaters and being horrified how awful it was.

Then I heard from someone later on that they actually made MORE movies after that, had to spend an hour on Wikipedia looking at the plot descriptions...sounds like it just went down, down, down even further.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

mds2 posted:

I'd like you to elaborate, but from what it sounds like you might need to stop expecting tactical realism from movies.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

Medullah posted:

Man, I was a huge Highlander fan (First movie and the series, of course). I remember going to see Endgame in theaters and being horrified how awful it was.

Then I heard from someone later on that they actually made MORE movies after that, had to spend an hour on Wikipedia looking at the plot descriptions...sounds like it just went down, down, down even further.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8h58ubpx_g

RoughDraft2.0
Mar 8, 2007

We really like your car, Mrs. LaRusso.

Medullah posted:

Ancient Chinese proverb: Only French TV production company make good Highlander story.

It's actually amazing how spectacularly hosed up the film franchise was. Terrible movies, terrible story sense, terrible acting, terrible production design. The mythology really requires a lot of space, and episodic television is the best medium for it. Trying to reboot it as a feature isn't going to work.

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666
Japan: 810352869090
Russia: 0078202577577
UK: 08457909090
US: 1-800-273-8255

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Elaborate, please.

Well right off the bat leaving the plane was retarded. They have a place that 1. is the most likely to be seen and rescued from and 2. easily fortified. Instead they try to make it to the woods where the wolves actually live in order to be safe?? wtf.

The film just didn't work for me when the main character is made out to be some sort of expert but then does everything counter-intuitive to rational thought. Do I expect dead on realism in film, absolutely not, but this film was just a bunch of blunders tied together.

The drowning scene was intense though.

Edit: All in all I don't think it was a terrible film. I think that my expectations were just too high.

mds2 fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Sep 12, 2012

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

mds2 posted:

Well right off the bat leaving the plane was retarded. They have a place that 1. is the most likely to be seen and rescued from and 2. easily fortified. Instead they try to make it to the woods where the wolves actually live in order to be safe?? wtf.

I think that decision was pretty well explained in the movie. The plane was A: in the middle of the wolves territory, and B: the smell of the dead bodies attracting the wolves. Their goal was to get out of the territory, as the wolves viewed them as a threat that needed to be dominated and also food. At the rate the wolves were taking them out, they wouldn't last until somebody even realized the plane was missing, much less actually found them. I don't know, I'd probably want to GTFO too.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

RoughDraft2.0 posted:

Ancient Chinese proverb: Only French TV production company make good Highlander story.

It's actually amazing how spectacularly hosed up the film franchise was. Terrible movies, terrible story sense, terrible acting, terrible production design. The mythology really requires a lot of space, and episodic television is the best medium for it. Trying to reboot it as a feature isn't going to work.

I will defend the first film til the end of time. After that, the best we ever see of Lambert again is in the tv pilot where he's still pretty lively. In Endgame his arthritis was pretty evident as he could barely move around anymore.

I'm really curious to see if there's ever a reboot of the films. I think there was a stealth pilot for a remake of the show called "Forever" being worked on but they never got beyond the script stage.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

I think that decision was pretty well explained in the movie. The plane was A: in the middle of the wolves territory, and B: the smell of the dead bodies attracting the wolves. Their goal was to get out of the territory, as the wolves viewed them as a threat that needed to be dominated and also food. At the rate the wolves were taking them out, they wouldn't last until somebody even realized the plane was missing, much less actually found them. I don't know, I'd probably want to GTFO too.

I thought it was weird they didn't even bother trying to carve spears at least. Hell, tape your knives to the end of a stout stick, anything.

Even if it wouldn't have worked (likely), the thought had to have crossed their minds that "Hey, our ancestors had to fight these things before guns, and they used pointed sticks, maybe we could try it!"

The Edge is a much better surviving nature film.

Also, didn't like the weak rip of Henry V at Harfleur that they tried to pass off as stirring, manly poetry.

RoughDraft2.0
Mar 8, 2007

We really like your car, Mrs. LaRusso.

Rhyno posted:

I will defend the first film til the end of time. After that, the best we ever see of Lambert again is in the tv pilot where he's still pretty lively. In Endgame his arthritis was pretty evident as he could barely move around anymore.

I'm really curious to see if there's ever a reboot of the films. I think there was a stealth pilot for a remake of the show called "Forever" being worked on but they never got beyond the script stage.

Summit has the rights and I think they've got a "Twilight" screenwriter on the case with Ryan Reynolds being eyed to star, so you can just go ahead and get that gun out right now.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Rhyno posted:

I will defend the first film til the end of time.

After decades of not seeing Highlander but hearing all the jokes and "there can be only one" image macros, I finally saw it on Netflix streaming not too long ago and was quit amazed and pleasantly surprised by how good it was.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Rhyno posted:

And it's one of those movies in which it's tempting to cheer for the main villain.

And Sean Connery is always a charismatic beast on the silver screen even when he got old.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

GonSmithe posted:

Go in expecting the most realistic depiction of death I've seen in recent movie history, and the feeling of utmost dread.

The scene where the dude gets his foot stuck under the the river and drowns was one of the most brutal scenes I have ever seen despite the lack of gore or blood.

Watch The Grey

SoleilEquil posted:

Felt like posting my little quip in here for the day (as I have neglected to comment on some quality Netflix entertainment for awhile now). FINALLY started to watch Breaking Bad (I was one of those..) and HOLY crap is it the most fantastical thing I have ever watched. Just the opening of the first season from the pilot into the first two episodes has you already develop and understanding for/appreciation of the main characters up on the screen.

Edit: Took my absence from my little quips in here because of beginning the new semester. After a less than lack-luster performance on my previous one...felt like getting my poo poo together.

Thank you, Netflix thread.
Watch Breaking Bad

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Volume posted:

The scene where the dude gets his foot stuck under the the river and drowns was one of the most brutal scenes I have ever seen despite the lack of gore or blood.

This scene is pretty much ripped off from "Sometimes a Great Notion", old movie with Paul Newman adapted from a Ken Kesey novel. Good film.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
Just watched The Grey. If you can put aside a few things it's really really good. The production is just stellar. Beautifully filmed.

matrocious
Feb 7, 2011
The Grey really does look amazing. Love or hate the characters and decisions they make but it's an incredibly beautiful film. Towards the end, Liam is walking through snow flurries and it just looks staggering.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

etalian posted:

And it's one of those movies in which it's tempting to cheer for the main villain.

And Sean Connery is always a charismatic beast on the silver screen even when he got old.

I always cheer for Clancy Brown!

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs

GonSmithe posted:

Please oh please oh please watch this movie. Do not go in expecting Liam Neeson punching wolves. Do not go in expecting an action movie. Go in expecting the most realistic depiction of death I've seen in recent movie history, and the feeling of utmost dread.

The first death is basically the most moving depiction of death in cinema for me, it's incredible. Such a punch in the gut, and you don't even know the guy!

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Revenge season 1 is on streaming!

How can I describe this. It's the greatest soap opera ever made. Emily Van Camp is out to destroy the family that ruined her father's reputation, and she's moved out to the Hamptons in a house right next to theirs under an assumed name. She teams up with a goony-as-hell IT millionaire (who has the greatest fashion sense known to man) and primarily locks heads with an icy Madeline Stowe, who is every bit as much a glorious bitch goddess as Joan Collins in Dynasty, and who delivers lines like "When I hug you, the warmth you feel is my hatred burning through."

It is amazing, completely unironically so- the writers know what they're doing and the plot, however loving absurd it is, is also tight. It starts out kinda "Revenge of the week"-y with Emily taking out various participants in her father's frame-up, but quickly develops into a more complex rich-people-screwing-each-other drama.

You just have to see it to understand.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

etalian posted:

Yeah, Clancy Brown was an awesome villain, much better than Michael Ironside. Then Highlander 3 broke the tradition by not casting a Starship Troopers alum.

I watched Highlander 2: [siren]The Renegade Version[siren] the other day, and it is no fun, not even in the "so bad it's good" sense. It would have been much more entertaining if they spent more time in the misbegotten fantasy world, maybe they could have established Gen. Katana as a more interesting villain. The movie was probably unsalvageable anyway.

Also my friend and I fired up the TV series a couple of years ago, and the first episode was so homoerotic that my friend wouldn't sit through it. So much sexual tension between the McLeods...

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

mds2 posted:

Yeah, I saw it in the theater based on Howard Stern strongly recommending it on his show and felt it was pretty "meh". This is one of those where I really don't get all the love in the thread, but to each his own. I can't remember what it was exactly about it that I thought was so mediocre, although plot/decision making by characters was part of it, I think.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Filthy Hans posted:

Yeah, Clancy Brown was an awesome villain, much better than Michael Ironside. Then Highlander 3 broke the tradition by not casting a Starship Troopers alum.

I watched Highlander 2: [siren]The Renegade Version[siren] the other day, and it is no fun, not even in the "so bad it's good" sense. It would have been much more entertaining if they spent more time in the misbegotten fantasy world, maybe they could have established Gen. Katana as a more interesting villain. The movie was probably unsalvageable anyway.

Also my friend and I fired up the TV series a couple of years ago, and the first episode was so homoerotic that my friend wouldn't sit through it. So much sexual tension between the McLeods...

Keep in mind, the REASON it's the Renegade version is because they cut OUT a lot of the "fantasy world"...because in the real version, it's another planet...

User-Friendly
Apr 27, 2008

Is There a God? (Pt. 9)

Maxwell Lord posted:

How can I describe this. It's the greatest soap opera ever made. Emily Van Camp is out to destroy the family that ruined her father's reputation, and she's moved out to the Hamptons in a house right next to theirs under an assumed name. She teams up with a goony-as-hell IT millionaire (who has the greatest fashion sense known to man) and primarily locks heads with an icy Madeline Stowe, who is every bit as much a glorious bitch goddess as Joan Collins in Dynasty, and who delivers lines like "When I hug you, the warmth you feel is my hatred burning through."

It is amazing, completely unironically so- the writers know what they're doing and the plot, however loving absurd it is, is also tight. It starts out kinda "Revenge of the week"-y with Emily taking out various participants in her father's frame-up, but quickly develops into a more complex rich-people-screwing-each-other drama.

I'm already a fan of overly-dramatic, soapy television, and this show is a home run for me. It's really, really good.

CaptainZot
Aug 11, 2000

The Leck posted:

There's a short one about it on the Payback director's cut dvd called "Same Story, Different Movie - Creating Payback: The Director's Cut" - I'm not sure if this is the one red19fire is talking about, but it does go into some detail on specific scenes and what was intended vs. what was gotten.

e: here, judge for yourself! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VV5t7HIXsis
For those who have seen both versions of Payback: am I the only one who likes the pulpy blue theatrical version more than the bleak orange director's cut? Yeah it's silly but the silliness felt right. Granted I haven't seen the original and I saw the theatrical version first so maybe I'm biased, but the blue version is one of my favorite movies to watch every couple years to feel good and have fun.

But speaking of movies with two versions...

Filthy Hans posted:

Have you seen the original version? Compared to it, Renegade Version is Citizen Kane. To this day I'm still amazed that they're the same movie.

stimpy
Jul 27, 2004

Cap'n Scrap'n of the Hit Brigade
when Highlander 2 first came out on VHS, our VCR ate and destroyed it about 10 minutes in to the actual movie. It wasn't until years later when I watched it on DVD that I knew the truth: that VCR gave its life trying to protect us from that goddamn disaster of a film. I'll never forget your sacrifice, Magnavox VCR.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Maxwell Lord posted:

It starts out like Spartacus as a somewhat cheesy guilty pleasure like show but really gets more satisfying to watch with each episodes as all the characters get more entangled.

matrocious
Feb 7, 2011
One thing to keep in mind while watching The Grey is that Liam Nesson's wife died in a skiing accident before filming and it makes some of the scenes much more poignant and haunting.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?
So I recently got Netflix, and I was pleasantly surprised with the selection of great movies and shows. I quickly amassed about 60 shows and movies in my Queue, and I'm constantly adding more. I'm realizing that it is going to take a while to get through all of these. Are there any studios or content providers whose contracts are close to ending? I know that a bunch of Starz content vanished after a contract dispute, and I would like to know what I could potentially lose in the next few months.

Baronash fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Sep 14, 2012

MrGreenShirt
Mar 14, 2005

Hell of a book. It's about bunnies!

The best I can give you is instantwatcher's expiring list which is usually good for about two weeks into the future.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

MrGreenShirt posted:

The best I can give you is instantwatcher's expiring list which is usually good for about two weeks into the future.

Thanks! That'll be great.

I guess this means I will need to move Mega Shark vs. Giant Octopus to the top of my list. :D

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Maxwell Lord posted:

Agreed. I'm generally not a fan of soapy shows like this, but I was bored one day and sat down to watch the first episode on Hulu. Before I knew it, I had gone through the first 12 episodes up until the mid season break, and I was dying for the show to come back.

It's a pure, fun, guilty pleasure.

Wabbit
Aug 22, 2002

Have you any figs, Sir?

matrocious posted:

The Grey really does look amazing. Love or hate the characters and decisions they make but it's an incredibly beautiful film. Towards the end, Liam is walking through snow flurries and it just looks staggering.

Canada was definitely looking spectacular all over the film.

I was mostly just soaking in the Liam Neeson and Dermot Mulroney performances. Liam Neeson brought so much gravitas and warmth to role - reminded me of Sir Ian McKellen. Interesting that he was not the first choice to star at all, yet I think it is his finest performance I've seen and the movie ended up being the perfect showcase for him.

Farbtoner
May 17, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Revenge is basically Batman if Batman was a woman and had all the cultural baggage that that entailed: the protagonist has near-infinite wealth, was trained by an asian martial arts sensei, and has detective skills and intuition that make her almost superhuman.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Did you see Boy Wonder?

Farbtoner
May 17, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Did you see Boy Wonder?

Yes. It's one of those movies where my opinion of it pulled a complete 180 about halfway through when it went out of its way to show off how crazy and drug-addled the protagonist was. I love vigilante movies but I'm too socially conscious to enjoy Death Wish-style morality, so I enjoyed it a lot more than I thought I would.

It even managed to turn the whole "people trashtalk a guy in a language they don't think he understands and then, surprise, he understands it and returns an :iceburn:" cliche inside out by making it a plot point about how by doing so he needlessly revealed a clue that wound up jeopardizing him.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I love all those things but speaking in particular to the delusional, drug addicted thing: I love when movies don't overdo that. I'm thinking of something like Dane Cook in Mr. Brooks in particular - Costner's character already stretches credulity enough without introducing that goofball. For much of the running time of the movie it is kind of a standard blue-tinted psychological thriller but there's enough of a twist on it that you don't feel like you're watching something you've seen a million times before.

Another good part is when he goes to the party to hang out with that girl then goes apeshit on that guy. At first it looks like the film is going to portray his outburst as "cool" but they show it for what it is: what an unsocialized nerd would do to someone he perceives as a threat using the slightest provocation as an excuse. The way the whole thing wraps up is a little hokey but it's to be expected, it is a vigilante superhero movie, after all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vmdvr
Aug 15, 2004
Watch out for Snakes!

CaptainZot posted:

For those who have seen both versions of Payback: am I the only one who likes the pulpy blue theatrical version more than the bleak orange director's cut? Yeah it's silly but the silliness felt right. Granted I haven't seen the original and I saw the theatrical version first so maybe I'm biased, but the blue version is one of my favorite movies to watch every couple years to feel good and have fun.

You're not the only one, I also prefer the theatrical version. It just feels...tighter maybe? More consistent? I mean it's also more fun too, but fun's not everything,
I also really enjoy bleak stuff (like The Grey, which everyone should see!)
Anyway while the directors isn't bad, people should watch the theatrical if possible too.

• Locked thread