Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

MurderBot posted:

I think you become a douche if you say "hey bro you do know that your 5x5 method is completely not functional strength buiding and you oughta look into this thing they call :smug: high..intensity :smug: It's kind of a big deal, and you know, we can totally get our WOD on.

Oh uh hey I saw you running in those asics and I wanted to let you know you're setting your feet up for failure because uh... you're not running on minimalist shoes.. Yeah you see you need to go back to the paelolithic times and understand that your body :smug: wants to run on barefeet :smug: Excuse me, I need to tell those people over there the same thing.. It's such a crazy world we live in.

on an unrelated note: Does anyone here compete in cyclocross events? let alone cycle?

I guess I'm a douche then.

New topic of discussion. Beer is a great workout supplement. Yes/yes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ashmole
Oct 5, 2008

This wish was granted by Former DILF

MurderBot posted:

I think you become a douche if you say "hey bro you do know that your 5x5 method is completely not functional strength buiding and you oughta look into this thing they call :smug: high..intensity :smug: It's kind of a big deal, and you know, we can totally get our WOD on.

You haven't lived until you've done 20 200lb powercleans in 30 seconds.

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW

MurderBot posted:

Oh uh hey I saw you running in those asics and I wanted to let you know you're setting your feet up for failure because uh... you're not running on minimalist shoes.. Yeah you see you need to go back to the paelolithic times and understand that your body :smug: wants to run on barefeet :smug: Excuse me, I need to tell those people over there the same thing.. It's such a crazy world we live in.

on an unrelated note: Does anyone here compete in cyclocross events? let alone cycle?

whats your fran time

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT

Grampybone posted:

How on earth are you guys the "only" people you know that apparently work out "correctly"?

I think someone might want to rethink the who's being :smug:

I'm not saying I workout better than everyone else, obviously not because there are a lot of people with a worse case of swoleosis than me, (A LOT) but I'd rather workout with someone cool who I can bullshit with. Pretty much all of my friends are lazy and don't workout, work at target like 22 hours a day, or just aren't fun to workout with. Squats make your butt big, all I do is run 12 miles a day, LETS JUST DO PREACHER CURLS!

I've found a few decent people to work with, but it's annoying when every other day peoples workout philosophy changes and they want to do something completely different. So what I've been doing is just hey broing people I see in the gym doing exercises I wanna do. Some are cool, some dudes scream real loud dead lifting like 180, and some stare at my rear end.

Basically this is the internet its for complaining!!!

vacation in merica
Jul 19, 2012

by T. Mascis
Crossfit is loving horrible, WODs are stupid, traditional cardio + strength training is the way to be.

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW
People pay like 200+ bucks a month to crossfit in some places lol I guess its prolly the same crackers that pay like 75 bucks to run a 5k through the mud though

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT
I did crossfit for a month because my brother had a free trial thing from his membership. Then they asked for !!$300!! so that was that.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

I think crossfit is okay for the individual that wants to lose weight or wants to get better at crossfit. But No, crossfit won't make you an olympic class athlete, just a good crossfitter. I did it for about two weeks, didn't feel like paying for it, and now I just go to a gym and make my own workouts that's specific to my sport.

P.S Fran is lame if you Kip and only real men do Fran with standard pullups.

Nice and hot piss fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Sep 7, 2012

TheUnhorse
Oct 29, 2010

Smartest little intel sperg in the whole world
After many years of study, I've come to a solid conclusion...

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

moker posted:

People pay like 200+ bucks a month to crossfit in some places lol I guess its prolly the same crackers that pay like 75 bucks to run a 5k through the mud though

But I'm a contractor what else am I gonna do with my rivers of cash?

edit: My company pays for gym memberships, even the 175 dollar crossfit :fap:

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=De7rbB2bteE&t=20s

Why is running all of a sudden a cool thing for people to do? If you participate in a Tough Mudder, are you required by law to post pictures of yourself afterwards?

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

Veins McGee posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=De7rbB2bteE&t=20s

Why is running all of a sudden a cool thing for people to do? If you participate in a Tough Mudder, are you required by law to post pictures of yourself afterwards?

Because it's fun :kiddo:

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
This past week I've discovered how awesome/bad power cleans are. That should help my speed off the floor for deadlift.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

So what do we all think about putting caffeine in supposedly nutritional poo poo?

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Casimir Radon posted:

So what do we all think about putting caffeine in supposedly nutritional poo poo?

I'm a fan.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

Rev 3 nutrition is amazing and fully loaded with NATURAL INGREDIENTS like Honey! and you know, scientifically created taurine and other poo poo.

vains
May 26, 2004

I'd ask in YLLS but I don't feel like being called a retard for not reading a 125 page thread. When I squat, I can't keep my heels on the floor around the point that my thighs are getting parallel to the deck.* I can squat if I put my heels on small weights but I'd like to be flexible enough to not need to do so. I also don't want to buy special shoes in order to squat. What should I do to improve my flexibility?

*intentional use of naval terminology

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

You should be using the flattest sole possible to squat. I know you guys get all snippy when Vibram elitist act....themselves. But they're really great to squat in. More support is worse for you. I've seen dudes do it barefoot.

You might feel like a douchebag but this is better than your $200 new balance

That being said. Nothing wrong with a 2.5 lb plate under your heels.

Otherwise you might be leaning too far forward. I have a bum ankle and lost a lot of flexion and don't have troubles.

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Sep 14, 2012

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
I like all-stars. :mad:

vains
May 26, 2004

Christoff posted:

You should be using the flattest sole possible to squat. I know you guys get all snippy when Vibram elitist act....themselves. But they're really great to squat in. More support is worse for you. I've seen dudes do it barefoot.

You might feel like a douchebag but this is better than your $200 new balance

That being said. Nothing wrong with a 2.5 lb plate under your heels.

Otherwise you might be leaning too far forward. I have a bum ankle and lost a lot of flexion and don't have troubles.

I'm fully open to the idea that my form sucks dick. I read the YLLS form thread a lot but I guess it's just not clicking for me.

I didn't have a problem squatting in high school but I always had a spotter and the weight room had these baller rear end squat bars.

They probably actually suck really bad but I liked them because I could use my hands on the rack to keep my balance while squatting. Maybe my problem is that I don't have a spotter so I'm afraid to lean back too far.

Godholio posted:

you would, you gingerfuck

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Godholio posted:

I'm just saying a lot of people probably think dudes working out in those are douches when they're actually better for lifting than their fancy running shoes.

I don't get the middle part of that bar. You should NEVER squat with any kind of paddding/support. Or any kind of machine. Always free weight barbell.

Doing squats sucks and it's hard to get the technique down. You're absolutely miserable during the set and almost pass out when you're done. But obviously once you get past that you feel amazing. Watch some youtube videos of people doing it PROPERLY.

Here's just a couple tips to keep in mind while squatting. Seriously, run some of these through your head and you'll literally feel the difference instantly.

*Feet roughly shoulder width apart
*Toes pointed just slightly outward
*DO NOT LOOK UP. Common mistake. Always look straight
*Back flat
*Drive your hips forward. This is probably the most important thing in squatting.
*Imagine your standing on a towell and while driving up you're trying to rip the towell in half with your feet
*Don't flare your elbows out
*Keep your breathing in mind. Once you get your breaths backwards it'll really mess yo up. (in on the way down, out on the way up)
*ATG! (rear end TO GRASS) You want to touch your hamstrings to your calves. Or as deep as you can. None of this "stop at parellel" bullshit you learned in High School. (note a lot of people will probably disagree with this, go google for yourself)
*Do not bounce up
*imaging your squatting to take a poo poo out in the woods. Butt way down. I've been told your knee cap shouldn't go past your toes when squatting but I've also heard that it doesn't matter. Not 100% sure.

oh and this

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Sep 14, 2012

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW

Veins McGee posted:

I'd ask in YLLS but I don't feel like being called a retard for not reading a 125 page thread. When I squat, I can't keep my heels on the floor around the point that my thighs are getting parallel to the deck.* I can squat if I put my heels on small weights but I'd like to be flexible enough to not need to do so. I also don't want to buy special shoes in order to squat. What should I do to improve my flexibility?

*intentional use of naval terminology

it sounds like you lean way too far foreward towards the bottom, it isnt really terrible to use some small plates over your heels tough, works the quads more. it took me a long time and massive amounts of youtube spergin but the thing that finally made squats click for me was being told to break at your hips, not your knees. maybe itll help another goon out there some fateful day~

also before squats to stretch i get in the deepest squat stance i can manage and hold it for 20 seconds, really loosens me up ;)

converse are gay and dumb

vains
May 26, 2004

moker posted:

it sounds like you lean way too far foreward towards the bottom, it isnt really terrible to use some small plates over your heels tough, works the quads more. it took me a long time and massive amounts of youtube spergin but the thing that finally made squats click for me was being told to break at your hips, not your knees. maybe itll help another goon out there some fateful day~

also before squats to stretch i get in the deepest squat stance i can manage and hold it for 20 seconds, really loosens me up ;)

converse are gay and dumb

Yeah, I watch a lot of videos of really buff dudes lifting weights on youtube. I guess I'll keep watching videos and reading the internet until it clicks. I don't know if I get "break at the hips" though.

I'm pretty comfortable doing the other 3 compound lifts and leg pressing. Leg presses are cool because you can load up a ton of weight and feel strong/superior to the dudes in the gym who don't do legs.

edit: I have no idea what the point of the bar is. I liked it because I didn't have to worry about keeping it on my back so I could use my hands to steady myself. That's probably not the designers intent but whatever. I used it in weightlifting PE a decade ago.

vains fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Sep 14, 2012

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW
basically the first motion of a squat shouldnt be to bend your knees, but your hips/waist/we the gently caress its called, this keeps my knees from shooting forward and keeps my torso straighter, thus the weight will be felt further back on ur feet. if that makes sense

the bar youre talking abt is called a safety squat bar iiirc, they own i wish i knew a gym that had one

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

moker posted:

basically the first motion of a squat shouldnt be to bend your knees, but your hips/waist/we the gently caress its called, this keeps my knees from shooting forward and keeps my torso straighter, thus the weight will be felt further back on ur feet. if that makes sense

the bar youre talking abt is called a safety squat bar iiirc, they own i wish i knew a gym that had one

Pretty much this. It should be more of a sitting motion than a squatting motion.

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

IT TURN OUT METAL FOR DINNER!

You could try box squats to get used to the sitting motion, as well.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Veins McGee posted:

you would, you gingerfuck

I do not gently caress gingers.

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit

Christoff posted:

I don't get the middle part of that bar. You should NEVER squat with any kind of paddding/support. Or any kind of machine. Always free weight barbell.

gently caress off, the safety squat bar (that thing) is a great bar!

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

PT test was a week ago, now I suddenly want to run all the time. Wow.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

Running is cool. Swimming is cool. Biking is cool, cardio in general is cool. That's about all that needs to be said.

pkells
Sep 14, 2007

King of Klatch

Christoff posted:

...Hip drive...

God drat that makes a difference. My squats today felt so much easier than my last workout, and that was less weight.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

I'm telling you man. It's the little things in compound lifts that determine if you're going push more weight and possibly injure yourself. They're just so tiring you forget the basics. Just remember to breathe and run all that poo poo I posted through your head.

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW
rear end to grass only and not looking up are pretty dumb tbh

Idk what the gently caress you mean by high school coaches or whatever because pretty much the standard for a proper squat is parallel

most idiots in the gym do 1/4 or 1/2 of that which is dumb

genderstomper58 fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Sep 16, 2012

vacation in merica
Jul 19, 2012

by T. Mascis
Looking up is likely to help your form, but it's not really necessary to do it forever once you got like muscle memory or whatever.

edit: I always look up out of habit, but if you know what you're doing it's not like it's a problem or anything.

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW

vacation in merica posted:

Looking up is likely to help your form, but it's not really necessary to do it forever once you got like muscle memory or whatever.

Yea but his tips or w/e said never look up only straight, im saying it doesnt matter

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Basically don't let your eyes wander because your head will follow and that could lead to having your cg roll forward.

I use a piece of tape to focus at when I squat in front of a mirror. It helps.

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW
http://www.youtube.com/user/johnnymnemonic2

This guys series is prolly my favorite

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Fat dependant wife, compression shorts, kinesio tape, and a sweet pink knee brace. Sharp look for the gym.

vains
May 26, 2004

This guy's poo poo is pretty good. A lot of videos to watch and words to listen to so I can only watch one or two videos at a time.

edit:
Almost barfed in the gym doing legs today. My greatest regret was not finishing off with lunges to ensure that I puked.

I have scrawny rear end calves but not scrawny thighs. Other than shaving my legs, how do I make my calves not appear so scrawny? I don't want someone to surreptitiously take a picture of my legs and turn them into an image meme.

Unrelated; Whenever someone tells me that I look good/big, I always think they're loving with me and I start thinking about how I'm not eating enough or lifting enough or whatever. Body dysmorphia is loving cool. It's also good motivation because anytime I feel too lazy to lift I just start thinking about how small I am.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vacation in merica
Jul 19, 2012

by T. Mascis
Your calves are small cause your not doing enough calf raises. If calf raises aren't helping then guess what you got small legs God hosed you.