Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

treasured8elief
Jul 25, 2011

Salad Prong
E: ↑Maybe Coyote stole Jones' memories too?

:stonk: Oh my god. I hope Ysen gets all his memories back at some point :(

At least we have one clear 'bad-guy', now lets learn about inner Court drama!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax

Matlock Birthmark posted:

O. Totally batshit theory time. Do you think Jones could be a memory of someone?

Did we ever get an authorial yes/no on whether Jones and Jeanne are related in some way?

Cannonballoon
Jul 25, 2007

Matlock Birthmark posted:

O. Totally batshit theory time. Do you think Jones could be a memory of someone?

Edit: Actually, that wouldn't explain her physical traits, but my mind is throwing out all sorts of wild theorys now. Such as, did Coyote want Reynard as a servant for more snacks?

She could possibly be a memory if that's a possible meaning behind when Coyote said something like, "Jones? Is that what you're calling yourself now, Wandering Eye?" (my memory ain't so great). It also makes me even more curious about what "Wandering Eye" actually means.

Edit: it could also help explain why Coyote said she's a perfect example of his theory.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Goddamnit, Coyote! :catstare:

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

Avshalom posted:

Did we ever get an authorial yes/no on whether Jones and Jeanne are related in some way?

I think on formspring he has said they are not related in any way.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Yummy! All your regrets, all your fears. I love them; I'll take them. This is my great secret.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

So when Ysengrin accused the court of planting the tick tock bird on the riverbank, maybe he genuinely didn't remember that he'd buried it there himself?

Goddamn I'm going to have to reread this whole thing to see what else might have changed with this

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Suaimhneas posted:

So when Ysengrin accused the court of planting the tick tock bird on the riverbank, maybe he genuinely didn't remember that he'd buried it there himself?

Goddamn I'm going to have to reread this whole thing to see what else might have changed with this

poo poo, good catch. I think you just convinced me to reread the whole archive, too.

:suspense:

GENUINE CAT HERDER
Jan 2, 2004

Wedge Regret
BFFsies!

Oh noes!

Memories :allears:

Delicious memories!

And a couple of combined and animated:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Suaimhneas posted:

Oh christ. The best way to make anger genuine; make him think he's got to be genuinely angry.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Wow Coyote. Wow.

gently caress you.

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

Ysen probably doesn't remember attacking Annie in the court, and he may or may not remember coyote batting him aside, since coyote may have wanted him to keep that memory so that he stays subservient.

He might not remember when Coyote tricked Annie into seeing him "naked".

He probably doesn't remember anything bad or aggressive that he or coyote has ever done, only things that serve to make him hate humans or loyal to coyote.

Coyote is a bastard.

Aceofblue
Feb 26, 2009

DontMockMySmock posted:

poo poo, good catch. I think you just convinced me to reread the whole archive, too.

:suspense:
:ohdear: Me too. What if Ynesgrin doesn't actually have any direct memories of Annie at all, just a general feeling of "I know this person from somewhere and she feels familiar, and maybe it's a good thing," that slowly developed into their 'friendship?'

Or maybe this is why he hates everyone and everything from outside of the forest - fear of the unknown. He doesn't remember anything but what Coyote lets him, and if Coyote tells him that anything outside the forest is bad, then Ynesgrin is going to believe him because he doesn't have any direct reason not to.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
Aw no, coyote!

I wonder if Ysengrin knows that Coyote has been taking his memories, but doesn't know the content of the stolen pieces. When Coyote is about to go into his head he seems to know what's coming, so it seems that he remembers the actual extraction each time but won't know what was taken.

Cthulhuchan
Nov 10, 2005

Rose: Sip martini thoughtfully.

Such as this one.

Just a tiny sip couldn't hurt...
He didn't sound terribly surprised by Coyote's "offer", so after the fact he probably figures it was for his own good, since clearly he's just fine! :unsmigghh:

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer
:stare:

Well, that was certainly not expected.

Easy way to turn Coyote into the enemy that's for sure.

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

Cthulhuchan posted:

He didn't sound terribly surprised by Coyote's "offer", so after the fact he probably figures it was for his own good, since clearly he's just fine! :unsmigghh:

He seems fully aware of how bad a thing it is, though, which is extra-:smith:

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Gnome de plume posted:

Coyote wouldn't do anything to put Ysengrin out of his misery. His misery is one of Coyote's sources of entertainment.

You were saying?

Holy poo poo Coyote. :stare:

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Thinking about it, this has kinda changed my whole view of the comic. :stare: It's a lot darker than it was yesterday.

Reformed Pissboy
Nov 6, 2003

I mean, we already knew Coyote was manipulative and possibly sinister, but golly you pretty much can't get any more manipulative without literal puppet strings.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
The worst part of this page isn't even the memory thing, bad as that is. It's the first panel. Look how pathetically happy Ysengrin is that Coyote is paying attention to him and trying to comfort him.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I don't know why you're all so concerned. Coyote doesn't even exist. He said so himself.

sweetroy
May 23, 2011
thats a space bar

man i hate yall
Hoooooooooooooooooooooooly poo poo Coyote that was terrifying, Ysengrin looks almost happy in the first panel but then he goes into "oh poo poo noooo" mode :smith:. This suddenly got way darker

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
I haven't done a reread in while but now seems like a good time to do it. I want to believe that Ysengrin has some inkling Coyote is messing with him, like when he forgives Annie after she sees him eating. This definitely changes the past Ysengrin/Annie interactions though.

I think a neat Av would be all the Ysengrin attacks of the comic interspersed with the frames of Coyote eating the memory and then dwell on a Coyote grin. Not that I'm looking for a new Av when there's a Jones chapter coming up :allears:

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Guys I think Coyote might be more sinister than he looks.

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

Trickster gods are ALWAYS assholes. I was waiting for something like this to happen for the longest time.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
It'll be fine, guys. Now Coyote just has to do the same to Annie, then they can be friends again.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?
Coyote, everybody.

:stonk:

the2ndgenesis
Mar 18, 2009

You, McNulty, are a gaping asshole. We both know this.
So is Coyote literally consuming Ysengrin's memories in such a way that they can never be recovered again? Since he's said that the forest gods only exist because they are essentially collective cultural memories, is Coyote actually permanently destroying part of Ysengrin's essence to make himself more powerful?

Or is he perhaps storing those negative memories to force on Ysengrin at a later date?

God, I don't think I like either answer. gently caress you, Coyote. :smith:

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat

GENUINE CAT HERDER posted:

And a couple of combined and animated:

Now why don't I remove this nasty little avatar.

Thank you kindly.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
Well, Jones DID say his mind was gone.

Now we know where it went.

One Legged Cat
Aug 31, 2004

DAY I GOT COOKIE
As obvious as I'd expect the "what Coyote is doing is a bad" theory is, I can't help but to think that he might be removing Ysengrin's traumatic memories as a way to keep him from going off the edge completely (probably not, but hey).

Or he's doing something important, like keeping the forest energized or the stars in the night sky twinkling by taking away peoples' bad memories. Again; probably not, but this is Coyote and who the hell knows what's really going on in his head.

Really, the bigger question in my mind is, "has he done this to other characters, and/or to what degree?"

Rasamune
Jan 19, 2011

MORT
MORT
MORT
I did not think we'd be getting a page like this. :catstare:

At least now we know where the icon for this chapter comes from.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

SynthOrange posted:

Aw that's sweet of him. :3:

I know, right! What a good friend :)

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Coyote's true great secret...

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat

Nettle Soup posted:

Coyote's true great secret...

Is that I'm a mind flayer.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
:stare:

drat.

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?

One Legged Cat posted:

Really, the bigger question in my mind is, "has he done this to other characters, and/or to what degree?"

At the very least, he probably isn't doing it to anybody who doesn't know that he's doing it. Since removing the memory of him removing a memory would keep him there forever and he's got a lotta tricks to play. Unless he can do it while someone's asleep. Which pretty much just leaves forest folk (and Annie during her National Lampoon's Arborean Vacation)

Also Coyote is looking pretty sinister right now but let's not jump to any conclusions. So far we have yet to have a true "bad guy" and I doubt we're going to get one now. I think we can all agree that Ysengrin just became the most tragic character in the comic in the span of two comics, though. Let's hope Coyote never encounters Boxbot.

H.P. Shivcraft
Mar 17, 2008

STAY UNRULY, YOU HEARTLESS MONSTERS!

Would you like to know my Great Secret?!

(Should be av-able.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!
Jesus Christ! gently caress you Coyote! gently caress you.

Thinking about this a bit, what makes you you? Mostly it's your memories, other things factor in but would you still consider a "you" without your memories to be "you"? The way I'm looking at this Coyote is literally consuming Ysengrin's self. No wonder he is so unstable. Who knows how many of Ysengrin's memories are left? And if Coyote can remove memories then what is to stop him from inserting them? Changing them to suit his purposes?

What if when Ysengrin attacked Anne he was remembering all of those times Anne was cruel to him, all of those times Anne humiliated and laughed at him, all of those times that never happened. :gonk: