Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

Aurune posted:

I was driving a new Camaro the other day. It was just plain silly. I'm sitting as high as I do in my MINI but my head was in the roof liner and I still couldn't see out the loving thing. It's like the auto companies think that glass costs more than steel. That or people love not to see where they are going. Or where they have been for that matter. All I could see was the roofs of the cars behind me. Thank goodness for the backup camera or I would have hit two curbs and a pole.

I ended up driving a Volt for a couple of weeks last month, and it has the same rear visiblity issues, so I think it's a GM conspiracy to sell more backup camera options and rear bumpers for dealers.

Unless the object behind you is taller than about five feet, it's completely invisible without the use of the backup camera. Going fowards isn't much better, since the hood is entirely out of the drivers line of sight, which makes parking a lot of fun. Reversing or parking the Volt relies heavily on use of the backup camera and front/rear proximity sensors to judge distance from things, and I'm completely baffled as to why they're not a standard feature on a $40K car with those visibility issues.

My family used to own a 94 Suburban, which managed to have better rear visibility than the Volt (without the backup camera) despite being the size of a small house.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

azflyboy posted:

I ended up driving a Volt for a couple of weeks last month, and it has the same rear visiblity issues, so I think it's a GM conspiracy to sell more backup camera options and rear bumpers for dealers.

Unless the object behind you is taller than about five feet, it's completely invisible without the use of the backup camera. Going fowards isn't much better, since the hood is entirely out of the drivers line of sight, which makes parking a lot of fun. Reversing or parking the Volt relies heavily on use of the backup camera and front/rear proximity sensors to judge distance from things, and I'm completely baffled as to why they're not a standard feature on a $40K car with those visibility issues.

My family used to own a 94 Suburban, which managed to have better rear visibility than the Volt (without the backup camera) despite being the size of a small house.

It really makes the rears of the cars look bizarre too, especially for hatches and wagons. They're just this big, flat expanse of metal with a tiny little window. It looks very disproportional.

thecobra
Aug 9, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Boo

Twistershift
Feb 7, 2007

Powershift posted:

It's even worse when it gets dirty, because the rear windscreen is only about a foot tall, the rear wiper is only about 10 inches long, so it can only clean a very small portion of the rear window, as this high tech rendering demonstrates.

Haha, like these Range Rovers will ever see dirt.

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

SKINNY JEANS CANT HOLD BACK THIS ARC

How can he get this look so wrong?

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

Twistershift posted:

Didn't James May drive one of these things all over Death Valley?

Patina'd hood looks sweet, brah. *glues fake plastic scoop on top of rust*

Aurune
Jun 17, 2006

Twistershift posted:

I imagine it'll go something like this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HT7mXvdcKg

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Every time I see an Evoque, I see this hidden in the lines:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Aurune posted:

I was driving a new Camaro the other day. It was just plain silly. I'm sitting as high as I do in my MINI but my head was in the roof liner and I still couldn't see out the loving thing.

I drove a friend's 08 Civic yesterday, trying to help her chase down "some weird noise after I hit a curb" (turns out wheel bearings don't appreciate curbs, nor do front lips).

I felt like I was 7 feet tall in the drat thing, my head was only a couple of inches from the head liner (I'm 5'7.. not exactly tall). Blind spots galore, numb steering, and a "where's the engine??" feeling when you stomp the gas. Parking it was weird too, with such a short hood. Not quite like parking a Prius I drove awhile back, but still weird.

EightBit posted:

The only thing I liked about my old beater Integra was that I could see everything around me; came at a cost though, even with the a/c blowing 40F you couldn't cool the thing down in South Texas summers.

My 91 Integra had no problem freezing me out of the car, even in Texas. It would get a little muggy if I was sitting in traffic, but as long as the car was moving you could use it as a meat locker.

But it was R-12 when I bought it, and still R-12 when I got rid of it.

My Altima only gets meat locker cold on the highway. <:mad:>

Aurune
Jun 17, 2006

some texas redneck posted:

Blind spots galore, numb steering, and a "where's the engine??" feeling when you stomp the gas.

Driven a 2011. I felt the front visibility was good. However, it felt very big. Also, if you think that steering is numb. Drive a Hyundai.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

EightBit posted:

It won't. You can't hide side-impact air bags and good crush-resistance in glass, unfortunately.

I don't buy it.
This has one of the best side-impact ratings
(2006+) and has a real greenhouse.

Gorillian Dollars
Jan 22, 2012

We are selling to willing buyers at the current fair market price, even if we know it has no value.

Ugh, this thing is parked at the end of the street and everytime i drive in i wonder how you can peek through those slits of a window. But as someone said, it won't ever see actual mud. Urban Rover really.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
This is the thread for posting terrible Evoque poo poo, right?

Took that shot walking home from the pub last night. Yes, those are diamante highlights on the base of the "lashes".

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Both the Chrysler 300/Dodge Charger and the new Honda Accord have actually reduced the width of their pillars and/or lowered the beltline, I think, compared to the last generation.

The Jabberwocky
May 31, 2006

At least it worked.

nm posted:

I don't buy it.

Yeah, it can be done, but designers are being given less of a reason to do it now that backup cameras are becoming mandatory and it's easier to get high ratings by just building up the sides/back. I'm hoping once we get some stronger and lighter building materials that aren't carbon-fiber-expensive we'll start seeing less of it again.

vv Yep. This is the solution. vv

The Jabberwocky fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Sep 14, 2012

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Obviously the solution here is transparisteel

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

rscott posted:

Obviously the solution here is transparisteel
Or General Products hulls.

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON
:minnie:

College Slice

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

he needs to update it by adding 20 degrees of camber

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Linedance posted:

he needs to update it by adding 20 degrees of camber

Left-hand-side positive, right-hand-side negative.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

InitialDave posted:

Or General Products hulls.

That's not a cure all, passengers are still subject to tidal forces

Marvin K. Mooney
Jan 2, 2008

poop ship
destroyer

azflyboy posted:

I don't know what you're used to, but we have dozens of Volts at my work and driving them is always totally fine. Parking isn't any more difficult than with any other compact car and even if you didn't use the backup camera at all, you could still see things out of the back glass under 5 feet. And a 1994 Suburban has better visibility? Not unless you have x-ray vision.

For all the problems with the Volt, it's a completely acceptable compact car (if overpriced). We have solar chargers here so it's basically free transport.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Twistershift posted:

This is how my mini gets from normal street driving. The car is just perpetually dirty because of the way the it's designed

I drove a CX5 for work and the car was nice, but when the dudes at the dealership I was bringing me to were like "yeah go park it over there" and I had to back into the spot with the back up camera guiding me it wasn't too fun. And that car has a pretty normal back window size too, it's just way bigger than my own car

Nodoze fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Sep 14, 2012

Moxie Omen
Mar 15, 2008

ah, rusty crappington

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

EightBit posted:

The same reason that amps don't usually operate in any specified units:
http://xkcd.com/670/

Most people couldn't give two shits about the units, just :downs:BIGGER NUMBARS:downs:
Yeah? Well, my cell phone has more bars than yours!

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

Phy posted:

That's not a cure all, passengers are still subject to tidal forces

And anti-matter!

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

nm posted:

I don't buy it.

The crash test ratings changed significantly recently (I think 2010 or 2011) and results prior aren't really comparable to results today.

That said, I wouldn't be surprised if it still fared well under current specs; I remember an article once where fire departments would train specifically on how to cut people out of Subarus due to the much higher use of high strength steel in their pillars versus other makes.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
This isn't really "terrible" but it's a cellphone pic and not awesome so I'm putting it here. I just don't remember ever seeing an MR2 with no spoiler. I guess I always thought they just came with them and it wasn't even an option, or was that the case and this guy removed it? Either way I think they look pretty bad with no spoiler. It's like a vampyr with no fangs.

Network42
Oct 23, 2002
MR2s never came without a spoiler, if you see a wingless one it had the wing removed. I like the look personally, but it doesn't work with nice wheels and good ride ride height IMO.

Method Loser
Oct 10, 2001

Network42 posted:

MR2s never came without a spoiler, if you see a wingless one it had the wing removed. I like the look personally, but it doesn't work with nice wheels and good ride ride height IMO.

It loos like a Tercel or something

Paul Boz_
Dec 21, 2003

Sin City
The mkII in particular looks pretty terrible without a spoiler. The same can be said for the z32 30zx as well. A guy in Baton Rouge went spoilerless on his MR2 and the rear end looked like a blob.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

IOwnCalculus posted:

The crash test ratings changed significantly recently (I think 2010 or 2011) and results prior aren't really comparable to results today.

That said, I wouldn't be surprised if it still fared well under current specs; I remember an article once where fire departments would train specifically on how to cut people out of Subarus due to the much higher use of high strength steel in their pillars versus other makes.

The first part is true, Subarus are notorious for requiring different techniques. The reason tho isnt steel, it's boron rods.

http://boronextrication.com/2009/10/subaru-ring-shaped-reinforcement-body-structure/

I think crash extraction was basically find somewhere where the boron reinforcement wasnt.

The main change in getting five stars for side impact is that side airbags are mandatory to get five stars, without them you get four no matter how well the car did. Subarus were capable of gaining five on a side impact without side airbags before the change to the ratings - that model without side bags would still easily gain four stars. With sidebags, I'll bet five would be gained.

CAT INTERCEPTOR fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Sep 14, 2012

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

IOwnCalculus posted:

I remember an article once where fire departments would train specifically on how to cut people out of Subarus due to the much higher use of high strength steel in their pillars versus other makes.

In my experience, they are mentioned....but it's really not a big deal. What is specifically trained for are plasticars like Saturns. It's difficult to get a purchase anywhere for prying (big old real thick metal cars are much easier with spreaders because you don't tend to tear holes in it as you spread) and they have lots of hardened steel rods and stuff (for side impact protection) that our tools simply don't like cutting through.

Edit:

That's what I'm talking about right there. Squeeze that door and make a spot to jam the spreaders in and a car like that come apart like buttah.

Motronic fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Sep 15, 2012

Root Bear
Nov 15, 2004

DARKEST SKETCH
Had this Honda Civic 3-door coupe in the shop today. I would've gotten more pics of it but I was short on time and the owner was watching me like a hawk. The interior was mostly stripped and some bracing was installed in the rear. The exterior was mostly stock with the exception of some bent aftermarket wheels and a custom grill and splitter:

Upon closer inspection:

Yes, that's plywood. It was held to what I believe was the original bottom splash shield with a few machine screws and wing-nuts with washers, and actually went far enough back to cover the underside of both the oil pan and transmission. Wish I could've gotten a pic of the whole thing. :(

The one interior shot I was able to get. What's that on the floor?

Oh. :ughh:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Plywood's a pretty good base for a splitter actually. Fairly lightweight and tough, they've wrapped it in wet carbon fiber sheets before on MotoIQ builds to make homemade aero.

I mean, the rest of it is a horrendous hack job obviously made by someone who doesn't know what they're doing but the plywood isn't that big of a :wtc: on its own.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Looks like someone did an OBD1 conversion, probably to add HonData.

Still ugly as poo poo.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Network42 posted:

They sold a base car in some markets with no spoiler, with manual windows/steering and completely anemic 3sfe motor. Probably one of the rarest versions, but honestly who cares seeing as its pretty much the worst versions of the car anyway.

I actualy had a spoilerless base bootlid on my old car after someone rearended it managing to only crumple the bootlid. Quite liked it for a while but I did end up getting one with a spoiler on later on.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I mean, the rest of it is a horrendous hack job obviously made by someone who doesn't know what they're doing but the plywood isn't that big of a :wtc: on its own.

He could have at least used a sheet of paint grade instead of some god-awful piece of underlayment. Or at least done a few coats of paint with sanding to cover up the grain pattern...

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Maybe he was just watching Root Bear intently to set him up for a new hidden-camera show where people present mechanics with half-assed modification work and see what they do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

obso
Jul 30, 2000
OBSOLUTELY
The ecu that is so cleanly mounted to the floor has a pigtail adapter on it so it's probably engine swapped at least. Looks like a low-budget build. Can't totally hate on that.

obso fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Sep 15, 2012