Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Shame about the Raven and the Phoenix Hawk. Losing the active probe is going to hurt quite a bit, with all those Salamanders running around. At least the pilots still live, including the p1g1 Lance Commander of the Phoenix Hawk. Maybe he can pick up a new ride after this mission is over. Still, with a Head hit, shouldn't the pilot have taken a hit as well?

Ballsy move by the Atlas, and it paid off, taking the Cyclops out of the rest of the fight for good, and leaving it good to go to be piloted by a dispossessed member of GoonCompany Death Commandos after some armor and head repair. Since PTN stated that sensors are relatively easy to replace, it should be good to go next mission for you guys. And he didn't even take any damage doing so.

Unlucky that the possible headcap on the Annihilator missed by that little. If that would have connected, then the Trojan deception that the Banshee pulled would have paid off handsomely and been all worth it. Oh well, guess GoonCompany will have to take it out the hard way.

Hopefully the focused fire coming next turn on the Pillager will be able to take it out. With it already heavily damaged from the beating it took two turns ago, it should go down, but I guess you never can tell with Battletech. Since you guys should be firing at its rear, something should get through and damage something important. For GoonCompany and the mission's sake, I hope it does, at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
I don't want to ruin something amazing, but will the clanner die of exposure outside of his mech?

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Voyager I posted:

I don't want to ruin something amazing, but will the clanner die of exposure outside of his mech?

He should be okay (if uncomfortable) unless the outflow control bunkers get taken out or he wanders into a magma vent.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
On that subject, can we trust a clanner to count being knocked out, forcibly removed from their cockpit, and laid out safely on the ground as being defeated in battle and consider themselves a bondsman? Just on the off chance he wakes up before the battle is over (assuming PTN even bothers rolling dice for him) and decides to do something ~honorable~.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

Voyager I posted:

On that subject, can we trust a clanner to count being knocked out, forcibly removed from their cockpit, and laid out safely on the ground as being defeated in battle and consider themselves a bondsman? Just on the off chance he wakes up before the battle is over (assuming PTN even bothers rolling dice for him) and decides to do something ~honorable~.

We can trust him to be relatively unarmored besides a coolant vest, surrounded by lava tubes hot enough to heat a 'mech and unable to move particularly fast.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Voyager I posted:

He's a mechwarrior. There is nothing honorable he could do on foot. That poo poo is for peasants and bandits!

I don't think you can count him as an automatic bondsman, but it's safe to assume he is mission killed.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Zaodai posted:

He's a mechwarrior. There is nothing honorable he could do on foot. That poo poo is for peasants and bandits!

I don't think you can count him as an automatic bondsman, but it's safe to assume he is mission killed.

I think they mean trying to take an extra hot bath once he wakes up :v:

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

dis astranagant posted:

I think they mean trying to take an extra hot bath once he wakes up :v:

He has no reason to. If he does it to try and evade being captured, it means he commited suicide without being granted bondsref. He would die in the most cowardly, dishonorable way possible.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Taerkar posted:

PTN, I went to 2111, not 2211. That should change my LoS picture.

I was wondering why you moved to such a godawful position.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Yeah. I've been listed as a 4/6 since the start of this battle, but I should be a 5/8 and thus have enough MP. Should also let me hit the Pillager.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Taerkar posted:

Yeah. I've been listed as a 4/6 since the start of this battle, but I should be a 5/8 and thus have enough MP. Should also let me hit the Pillager.

I did. It didn't do much, but that happens.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

drat those dice. I've been hitting below what my chances should allow for this match, I think.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Taerkar posted:

drat those dice. I've been hitting below what my chances should allow for this match, I think.

Everyone has, except the Pillager. And maybe the Annihilator (harder to tell since he's generally got better shots).

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

In all honestly I want the Cyclops pilot to wake up on this upcoming turn, just to see what PTN comes up with for flavor text.

I mean, there's not much he can do but lean against his mech and sit there until the battle is over, so I'd be all for an automatic success in waking up.

Come on, do it for the story PTN. :allears:

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Zaodai posted:

He has no reason to. If he does it to try and evade being captured, it means he commited suicide without being granted bondsref. He would die in the most cowardly, dishonorable way possible.

That's what I was worried about. The captured clanners have been excellent assets so far, now that they're in the hands of people who play hardball enough to use them. Hell, if we ever ended up short on pilots we could probably put the smarter of them back in the saddle to decent effect.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Voyager I posted:

That's what I was worried about. The captured clanners have been excellent assets so far, now that they're in the hands of people who play hardball enough to use them. Hell, if we ever ended up short on pilots we could probably put the smarter of them back in the saddle to decent effect.

We're unlikely to run short on pilots before we run short on mechs. Plus, any pilot that would willingly commit suicide without being ranted bondsref would not be of the Clan mindset enough for us to abuse them into being a resource anyway.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

jng2058 posted:

Well that was as awesome as I wanted and I even survived the experience! Whoo!
:stare: :aaaaa: :woop:

Man, that right there was a genius move. gently caress you spirit of the rules, letter is my bro.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem
Thinking outside the box. Awesome!

enigma74
Aug 5, 2005
a lean lobster who probably doesn't even taste good.
Heh, that was awesome. The cyclops is now down for the count, and we have guaranteed salvage now, assuming we win the mission.

It is looking pretty dire, though. We just lost two mechs in one round, and I'm not sure how vulnerable the remaining hostiles are.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

enigma74 posted:

Heh, that was awesome. The cyclops is now down for the count, and we have guaranteed salvage now, assuming we win the mission.

It is looking pretty dire, though. We just lost two mechs in one round, and I'm not sure how vulnerable the remaining hostiles are.

Good question, let's check.

Pillager: One arm down to internals. Two rear and two front torso locations paper-thin. Head can be headcapped by a large laser or similar. Plenty of explosive crits with the two gauss rifles. Getting focused upon.

Annihilator: down to about two thirds armour, no breaches.

Bowman: leg can be penetrated via kick with assault or heavy, but largely good condition.

Exterminator: Leg down to internals and can be removed via kick from assault or heavy, mission-killing it. Armour very thin in places.

Cyclops: Mission-killed, perfectly salvageable condition.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

enigma74 posted:

Trading a Raven and a Phoenix Hawk for a clantech Cyclops is acceptable. You're ahead of the curve for the moment.

Katreus
May 31, 2011

You and I both know this is silly, but this is the biggest women's sporting event in the world. Let's try to make the most of it, shall we?
I just want Ho He to be awesome and for more Miranda and Ho He shenanigans. I dunno. Something about the odd couple situation in there tickles me. She is very good about not backseat driving though.

enigma74
Aug 5, 2005
a lean lobster who probably doesn't even taste good.
Talking about two people in the cockpit, why don't factions do this? You could have one person be the pilot and the other person as a gunner, or something.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

enigma74 posted:

Talking about two people in the cockpit, why don't factions do this? You could have one person be the pilot and the other person as a gunner, or something.

Two pilot cockpits are available, for training and C&C. Problem is that they take up space that is usually better devoted to weapons and stuff.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Because Japanese animes dont use dual seat mechs.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Katreus posted:

I just want Ho He to be awesome and for more Miranda and Ho He shenanigans. I dunno. Something about the odd couple situation in there tickles me. She is very good about not backseat driving though.

Given what the Banshee pulled, I am surprised the clanners have been basically ignoring it and shooting the rest of the mechs instead.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

dis astranagant posted:

All I can think of when I read about the Atlas this turn is http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlEXy8U8FSs&t=21m

Finally got around to looking at that video. That's hilarious. And that show looks pretty insane, whatever it is.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

I've not been the best target, as eager as they might be to kill me. Perhaps they're doing that whole smug "Ignore the target till you take out all his friends" thing. He gave a proclamation somewhat along those lines, but I'm not going to count on it if I give two or three of them a clean shot.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

enigma74 posted:

You can, it is expensive.

Generally either 1. The other guy is a large scale ops commander and is busy directing the entire planets fight or 2. Training

However there are rules for if one person is taken out by pilot damage, and the mech still has a head the other can slot in while they nap and keep fighting.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Katreus posted:

Hard to back-seat drive when you're sitting sideways in what amounts to a glorified folding chair. Most medium or larger `Mech cockpits have room for two people, the second person just gets crammed in behind the rocket in the ejector seat. So yeah, not a safe place to be but better than being abandoned on a battlefield.

VVV Mechanically? No.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Sep 14, 2012

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.
For one is faith and the other is victory and neither may ever be put out.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer
Doesn't the King Crab have 2 cockpits.

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

PoptartsNinja posted:

Hard to back-seat drive when you're sitting sideways in what amounts to a glorified folding chair. Most medium or larger `Mech cockpits have room for two people, the second person just gets crammed in behind the rocket in the ejector seat. So yeah, not a safe place to be but better than being abandoned on a battlefield.

VVV Mechanically? No.

That sounds like fun times if the pilot ejects. :supaburn:

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

GruntyThrst posted:

That sounds like fun times if the pilot ejects. :supaburn:

Holy poo poo. If the pilot is friends with the guy that would be the most horrifying experience ever.

Imagine you're the pilot and you accidentally catch the eye of the person as you hit eject, and both of you know what is about to happen.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

PoptartsNinja posted:

Sitting on the toilet in the back.

Andrevian
Mar 2, 2010
Clanners don't get toilets in their cockpits.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Andrevian posted:

Clanner toilets have twice the flush capacity but only generate half as much heat.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Andrevian posted:

Come to think of it, neither do the Manei Domini.

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011

T.G. Xarbala posted:

Come to think of it, neither do the Manei Domini.

Well, when you are more cybernetics than flesh you don't really need a toilet do you?

Katreus
May 31, 2011

You and I both know this is silly, but this is the biggest women's sporting event in the world. Let's try to make the most of it, shall we?

Artificer posted:

Holy poo poo. If the pilot is friends with the guy that would be the most horrifying experience ever.

Imagine you're the pilot and you accidentally catch the eye of the person as you hit eject, and both of you know what is about to happen.

Couldn't you just grab the other person and pull her onto your lap before ejecting? (And presumably hold on unless you want that person to go flying free)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

jng2058 posted:

Finally got around to looking at that video. That's hilarious. And that show looks pretty insane, whatever it is.

It's pretty much the best drat thing, once it finally decides what it wants to be when it grows up around episode 19.

• Locked thread