Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Emnity
Sep 24, 2009

King of Scotland
Hmm, may just stop where I am then.

Are there any other decent Eisenhorn/Ravenor equivalents? Read the Gaunt's Ghosts series, never bothered with Cain to date as I expect it to be more of the same but I'm open to being surprised.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Emnity posted:

Are there any other decent Eisenhorn/Ravenor equivalents? Read the Gaunt's Ghosts series, never bothered with Cain to date as I expect it to be more of the same but I'm open to being surprised.
Cain is nothing like Gaunt. You should pick one up to make your own judgment, but be forewarned that every book in the series follows pretty much the same formula. They can get somewhat repetitive. Also, pick up the Atlas Infernal book. It's another Inquisitor, but he isn't a clone of Eisenhorn or Ravenor.

Also, not strictly fluff/BL related, but FW has put up a sneak peek of the HH Volume 1: Betrayal https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6S0ZaG9xEIA I'm worried that it's obviously geared toward the higher price point as it is leather-bound with metal corner protectors. That being said, I am drooling.

Cat Planet
Jun 26, 2010

:420: :catdrugs: :420:

berzerkmonkey posted:

Also, not strictly fluff/BL related, but FW has put up a sneak peek of the HH Volume 1: Betrayal https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6S0ZaG9xEIA I'm worried that it's obviously geared toward the higher price point as it is leather-bound with metal corner protectors. That being said, I am drooling.

It's not like money is a concern for people who buy FW stuff :haw:

Emnity
Sep 24, 2009

King of Scotland

berzerkmonkey posted:

Cain is nothing like Gaunt. You should pick one up to make your own judgment, but be forewarned that every book in the series follows pretty much the same formula. They can get somewhat repetitive. Also, pick up the Atlas Infernal book. It's another Inquisitor, but he isn't a clone of Eisenhorn or Ravenor.

Will give that a try, thanks for the tip.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Dickeye posted:

THe Space Wolves omnibus is enjoyable just for how loving goofy/metal it is.

William King really does banter very well, I should say, and his leaving the Space Wolves for other book lines was a real blow to the series :(

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Emnity posted:

If you like the "Inquisitor running around doin' thangs" concept, you should give Atlas Infernal a read. It's pretty wacky, but I loved it.

Cain is completely different, it's a comedy series. It also gets incredibly stale after the first few books.

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Sep 14, 2012

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

CommissarMega posted:

William King really does banter very well, I should say, and his leaving the Space Wolves for other book lines was a real blow to the series :(

Same goes for Gotrek and Felix :(

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009

Therion posted:

It does not. They get rid of the beasts, then the Emperor comes down and makes them into Astartes, oh and they kill some poo poo afterwards.
Here, now you can read something better.

Also avoid Battle for the Abyss if you're going to continue with the series.

That's glossing over what's probably the best part of the book where it covers (admittedly for only a chapter or two) the transition from feudal backwater world into an Imperial Legion homeworld.

Battle for the Abyss is downright awful though.

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

I just finished reading the Alpha Legion story in The Primarchs

The ending got me really confused. Did Omegon secretly order the tenebrae installation to be destroyed behind Alpharius' back? Did he change his mind about the whole Cabal theory? Is this mentioned anywhere else?

I'm not sure all this makes sense canon wise. Plots within plots is taking the Alpha Legion gimmick a bit too far as far as I'm concerned.

Anyways, Ian Watson's Inquisition Wars omnibus just got in the mail.
What can I expect besides dancing dreadnoughts?

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Mikojan posted:

I just finished reading the Alpha Legion story in The Primarchs

The ending got me really confused. Did Omegon secretly order the tenebrae installation to be destroyed behind Alpharius' back? Did he change his mind about the whole Cabal theory? Is this mentioned anywhere else?

The answer is "Maybe, possibly!" *cue ominous music*

(yes, the Alpha Legion are a bunch of dumb babies)

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Sep 14, 2012

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Mikojan posted:

Anyways, Ian Watson's Inquisition Wars omnibus just got in the mail.
What can I expect besides dancing dreadnoughts?
A general feeling of confusion. When I read it back in 2nd ed days it was still totally different from the fluff at the time.

The Southern Dandy
Jun 15, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT MY RADLEY-WALTERS' MEDAL

Is that medal for being the most intolerable poster in a thread about Warhammer 40.000 novels? Because if it is, you sure blew the competition out of the water, son.
I'm done with Abnett. He writes some great action, but the two page denouement after 450 pages of book really gets grating. Also, Gaunt's Ghosts gets lame after he keeps killing the likeable characters. Shades of GURM.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?

Fried Chicken posted:

Well yes, in theory there isn't anything that is stopping your from growing a marine for 10 years, killing him, then growing 2 for 10 years, killing them, etc, getting an exponential increase in geneseed and creating a massive number of space marines. A mere 200 years would give you a million marines, 300 years a billion, and 400 would give you a trillion.

Sounds like a perfect evil plan for a Black Library antagonist - probably a radical Inquisitor Lord or an Arch-Magos with an interest in bioengineering.

Cat Planet
Jun 26, 2010

The Southern Dandy posted:

Also, Gaunt's Ghosts gets lame after he keeps killing the likeable characters.

He just needs to either tie up the series or throw them into a new situation, like the Gereon stuff. His traditional "ho ho ho, command shafted us, time to fight Chaos in [wacky location]" got old really fast.

Arthur Bowlsworth
Dec 5, 2003

Wot wot, old boy. Might one have a toke?
Anyone else like to see more of the Inquisitorial retinue from the Emperor's Gift?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Ephemeron posted:

Sounds like a perfect evil plan for a Black Library antagonist - probably a radical Inquisitor Lord or an Arch-Magos with an interest in bioengineering.

The usual answer to questions about doing odd and innovative things with Space Marine biology is "Fabius Bile tried it already". So yeah, this has probably been attempted a couple of times.

The big problem is that Space Marines were designed by an incarnate god. Mortals, even superhuman ones, can't even begin to comprehend some of the stuff the Emperor put into 'em - they can (imperfectly) replicate the end product, but improving on it is outside nearly everyone's intellectual capacity.

Cat Planet
Jun 26, 2010

Are there any decent Eldar novels that tell about their society, etc? I only know of the C.S. Goto ones, and even my lovely author tolerance only goes so far.

a shitty king
Mar 26, 2010

Therion posted:

Are there any decent Eldar novels that tell about their society, etc? I only know of the C.S. Goto ones, and even my lovely author tolerance only goes so far.

William King did a decent one called Farseer, that follows a Rogue Trader falling in with some wandering Eldar siblings, and it was meant to be a series but never got any follow-ups. Not sure if you can still get it but it's worth a read.

ed balls balls man
Apr 17, 2006
There's a whole Eldar series out at the minute that is active but I have no idea if it sucks or not.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Therion posted:

He just needs to either tie up the series or throw them into a new situation, like the Gereon stuff. His traditional "ho ho ho, command shafted us, time to fight Chaos in [wacky location]" got old really fast.
That kind of ended after the fourth book. The remainder were a progressively more tailored set of missions as Van Voytz took over, then Gereon doing the whole Will Gaunt ever get command back?!?!?! fakeout and then back to business.

Cat Planet
Jun 26, 2010

Arquinsiel posted:

Will Gaunt ever get command back?!?!?! fakeout

I wish Abnett killed off one of his books' main characters or had something irreversably lovely happen to them, since I have trouble feeling any tension at all while knowing that his protagonists have the thickest Plot Armor this side of Salvatore. I know that 40k novels are intended for the ARGH BADASS KILLS EVERYONE teenage crowd but there are only so much cliches one can use before the reader starts to recognize the patterns.

Cat Planet fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Sep 16, 2012

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Therion posted:

I wish Abnett killed off one of his books' main characters or had something irreversably lovely happen to them, since I have trouble feeling any tension at all while knowing that his protagonists have the thickest Plot Armor this side of Salvatore.

Is this an ironic post or what I don't even :psyduck:

Cat Planet
Jun 26, 2010

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Is this an ironic post or what I don't even :psyduck:

I know that Gaunt's dudes occasionally die and Eisenhorn falls into radicalism but the former is arbitrary in an IG novel and the latter is the main plot point in its book. When [important character] is in a proper battle, you know that they won't lose :) Haven't read Brothers of the Snake yet though.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
Yeah, he just killed of Merrt, Dorden and Costin, all of which were pretty heavily featured in previous books. However, Abnett does introduce new characters each book to kill of. Basically, if someone suddenly pops into existance from a known squad, he will probably die.

But the main characters of the books all still live. I think the only really big ones that died are Corbec, Caffran, Soric, MkVenner and Dorden.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Therion posted:

I wish Abnett killed off one of his books' main characters or had something irreversably lovely happen to them, since I have trouble feeling any tension at all while knowing that his protagonists have the thickest Plot Armor this side of Salvatore. I know that 40k novels are intended for the ARGH BADASS KILLS EVERYONE teenage crowd but there are only so much cliches one can use before the reader starts to recognize the patterns.

Err how many of the Gaunt's Ghosts series books have you read?

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

Therion posted:

There's a series by Gav Thorpe called Path of the Eldar. The first one, Path of the Warrior followed an Eldar's journey into from an artist to becoming an aspect warrior. It wasn't awful which by default makes it one of the best Eldar book that GW has published.

I think the other two books in the series are about similar Eldar journeys into the path of a seer and an outcast but I haven't read them so can't comment. There's also a Dark Elder novel as well that is suppose to be qiote readable.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Therion posted:

:stare:
He literally kills 80% of the characters in "Know No Fear".

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Samopsa posted:

Yeah, he just killed of Merrt, Dorden and Costin, all of which were pretty heavily featured in previous books. However, Abnett does introduce new characters each book to kill of. Basically, if someone suddenly pops into existance from a known squad, he will probably die.

But the main characters of the books all still live. I think the only really big ones that died are Corbec, Caffran, Soric, MkVenner and Dorden.
You forgot Bragg, and Gutes is actually mentioned a few times in earlier stories. What happens to Kolea is lame as hell, but the Saint fixes it so... negative grimdark I guess?. But seriously... have you read the books at all Therion? Like.... any of them? What happens to Dorden is incredibly lovely and don't even get me started on Soric. Gaunt himself doesn't get off scot free.

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Just finished reading the Night Lords trilogy. Goddamn, ADB should write more, his Spehss Mehrine characters are great. Uzas, Talos, Xarl... even the 'side' characters like Malcharion or Vandred were just metal as gently caress. I loved the way lots of characters hated each other, like Talos vs. the Exalted, but still covered for each other when their asses were really on the line. gently caress Cyrion though, I never liked that guy.

"Try and run now, bitch." :black101:

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

So I just finished the latest book in the Horus Heresy series, Fear to Thread by James Swallow.
Completely predictable if you have read any of the previous fluff on Blood Angels.

Also just realized that James Swallow wrote Nemesis, which is utter crap.
Seriously, you have a brainwashed assassin and his sister as the main characters and it becomes a crappy family drama.

Anyways, so how many books are there left in the series? Or are they gonna do like in Dragonlance and Forgotten Realms and just expand the series while there's money in it?

They have yet to cover White Scars, Imperial Fists as well as more in depth of some traitor legions. And then we have the Battle of Terra. Easily at least 20 more books.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Cardiac posted:

So I just finished the latest book in the Horus Heresy series, Fear to Thread by James Swallow.
Completely predictable if you have read any of the previous fluff on Blood Angels.

Also just realized that James Swallow wrote Nemesis, which is utter crap.
Seriously, you have a brainwashed assassin and his sister as the main characters and it becomes a crappy family drama.

Anyways, so how many books are there left in the series? Or are they gonna do like in Dragonlance and Forgotten Realms and just expand the series while there's money in it?

They have yet to cover White Scars, Imperial Fists as well as more in depth of some traitor legions. And then we have the Battle of Terra. Easily at least 20 more books.

The HH books sell really well, and it's GW, so you have to imagine they're going to stretch it out as long as they possibly can.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
We already know how it ends (Hint: Hitler loses) so really they can just keep on backfilling detail until they run out of trees to print on.

Emnity
Sep 24, 2009

King of Scotland
Looked to getting that Astral Infernal last night as an ebook download, seems they have the Black (Library) Market all tied up, £6.50 for letting someone copy your file, not bad going considering most paperbacks I own cost less than that. Just needed a rant, buying it anyway.. mutter mutter..

On another note I never really felt anyone but Gaunt himself was safe (and never really out of harms way) in any of the Ghosts series. I wasn't a big fan of Salvation's Reach though, didn't have the same.. presence to it as the other books.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Arquinsiel posted:

We already know how it ends (Hint: Hitler loses) so really they can just keep on backfilling detail until they run out of trees to print on.

Then they can say that it's all apocrypha and proceed to retell the REAL story.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Emnity posted:

Looked to getting that Astral Infernal last night as an ebook download, seems they have the Black (Library) Market all tied up, £6.50 for letting someone copy your file, not bad going considering most paperbacks I own cost less than that. Just needed a rant, buying it anyway.. mutter mutter..
Yeah - this is an interesting situation. Because they control the only channel of distribution, they aren't liable in price-fixing like the other publishers. The downside of their model (aside from screwing over people who really want to buy their ebooks) is that all they're doing is encouraging piracy.

Gormless Gormster
Jul 28, 2012

AVE IMPERATOR!

Or something

Kegslayer posted:

There's a series by Gav Thorpe called Path of the Eldar. The first one, Path of the Warrior followed an Eldar's journey into from an artist to becoming an aspect warrior. It wasn't awful which by default makes it one of the best Eldar book that GW has published.

I think the other two books in the series are about similar Eldar journeys into the path of a seer and an outcast but I haven't read them so can't comment. There's also a Dark Elder novel as well that is suppose to be qiote readable.

I've read all of them. Path of the Warrior started the series off on a good note, since it was relatively enjoyable and also quite novel (HA!) being one of the first Eldar books to actually shed some light on Eldar society beyond the battlefield. The other two (Seer and outcast) are just loving boring , replete with boring characters (The main character of outcast somehow manages to be a contemptible rear end in a top hat who is also incredibly boring. The main character of seer is a frigid one-dimensional brat with daddy issues.) and a boring recycled overarching plot (Literally the same events occur in all three novels, but from different viewpoints.) and boring sequences. The novelty wears off remarkably quickly.

Path of the Renegade (The Dark Eldar one) is quite enjoyable by contrast, creating almost half sympathetic DE characters without sacrificing any of the delicious SOULTORTUREBLOODFEAST grimdark of the Dark Eldar. Again, there is a lot of novelty value to be had because it expands Dark Eldar society and culture quite comprehensively.

Read Path of the Renegade simply because it's the best of the lot, then Path of the Warrior if you're curious. IGNORE THE OTHER TWO and pretend that they were never written.

Gormless Gormster fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Sep 17, 2012

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Mechafunkzilla posted:

The HH books sell really well, and it's GW, so you have to imagine they're going to stretch it out as long as they possibly can.

Yeah, that's what I'm afraid of. Feels like it's going to be Dragonlance all over again, and as the gullible fool I am, I will probably read them all. Never mind the fact I haven't played WH40k for 15 years and have read all the codexes, I apparently haven't had enough.

Anyways, I have this vague memory from the 3d Edition that Sanguinius killed a Bloodthirster during the Siege of Terra. I'm guessing this is the same Bloodthirster as in Fear to Thread, guessing from the hints in the book.

FoulWeatherFriend
Apr 10, 2006

Huh, okay...

Gormless Gormster posted:

Path of the Warrior started the series off on a good note, since it was relatively enjoyable and also quite novel (HA!) being one of the first Eldar books to actually shed some light on Eldar society beyond the battlefield. The other two (Seer and outcast) are just loving boring , replete with boring characters (The main character of outcast somehow manages to be a contemptible rear end in a top hat who is also incredibly boring. The main character of seer is a frigid one-dimensional brat with daddy issues.) and a boring recycled overarching plot (Literally the same events occur in all three novels, but from different viewpoints.) and boring sequences. The novelty wears off remarkably quickly.

I dunno man, I've only read Warrior and Seer, but I quite liked the alternate viewpoint given in Seer, and how it highlights how much of an egotistical creepy sperg the protagonist of Warrior really is. The again I'm very much a "story is about the journey" kinda guy as opposed to a "story is about the end" kinda guy so ymmv v:shobon:v
I liked seeing how both characters arrived at their respective story conclusions, and how they percieved each other and their third friend. So much thinly veiled contempt and dysfunction :allears:
I imagine the third book will be more of the same, which to me seems like not such a bad thing at all.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Cardiac posted:

Anyways, I have this vague memory from the 3d Edition that Sanguinius killed a Bloodthirster during the Siege of Terra. I'm guessing this is the same Bloodthirster as in Fear to Thread, guessing from the hints in the book.
Yeah, he got all WWE and snapped its spine over his knee.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joneswt
Feb 22, 2011

The Southern Dandy posted:

I'm done with Abnett. He writes some great action, but the two page denouement after 450 pages of book really gets grating. Also, Gaunt's Ghosts gets lame after he keeps killing the likeable characters. Shades of GURM.

Dembski-Bowden has usurped Abnett as the best BL writer like a wet-leopard growl.