Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!
I asked this a couple of months back and got a good recommendation or two, figure I'll try again and see if anybody can nail this request this time: I'm looking for something that sounds pretty much just like Counterparts or Heart in Hand, just a bit heavier. Seriously, Counterparts comes so close to hitting that mark, but I feel like they hold back and aren't as heavy as they could possibly be, at least for my personal tastes. Anyone have any ideas? I hope I'm not being too ambiguous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Romance is Dead will always be my favorite PWD song. Always.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

The Dark Wind posted:

I asked this a couple of months back and got a good recommendation or two, figure I'll try again and see if anybody can nail this request this time: I'm looking for something that sounds pretty much just like Counterparts or Heart in Hand, just a bit heavier. Seriously, Counterparts comes so close to hitting that mark, but I feel like they hold back and aren't as heavy as they could possibly be, at least for my personal tastes. Anyone have any ideas? I hope I'm not being too ambiguous.

Misery Signals. Specifically their last album "Controller".

Counterparts is basically Diet Misery Signals anyway.

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Misery Signals. Specifically their last album "Controller".

Counterparts is basically Diet Misery Signals anyway.

I absolutely love Misery Signals, although they don't hit the mark either, though they come pretty drat close too. Somethings perhaps a little bit less technical or clean, but rather more gritter and heavier. Their album Mirrors is more or less what I'm talking about, specifically songs like Anchors or Sword of Eyes. Maybe a bit more minor 7ths and 9ths. Gotta love those minor 7ths and 9ths

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

The Dark Wind posted:

I'm usually pretty bad at this, but I'll list some bands anyway.

Architects
Elitist (YouTube "Caves")
The Ghost Inside
Sirens (YouTube "The Difference Between")

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

The Dark Wind posted:

I absolutely love Misery Signals, although they don't hit the mark either, though they come pretty drat close too. Somethings perhaps a little bit less technical or clean, but rather more gritter and heavier. Their album Mirrors is more or less what I'm talking about, specifically songs like Anchors or Sword of Eyes. Maybe a bit more minor 7ths and 9ths. Gotta love those minor 7ths and 9ths

Try the band Your Memorial.

Ramseyk
May 30, 2005
hi

The Dark Wind posted:

Gonna take a stab at some recommendations.

Heartless
http://heartlessca.bandcamp.com/album/heartless-ep

The Divided
https://www.facebook.com/wearethedivided
Karl Schubach does guest vocals on one of the tracks.

I Am Divide
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0SNhh-s58Q4
These guys have since broken up. But they have an EP and man it was good.

Ramseyk fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Sep 14, 2012

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!

Ramseyk posted:

Heartless

The Divided
https://www.facebook.com/wearethedivided
Karl Schubach does guest vocals on one of the tracks.

I Am Divide
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0SNhh-s58Q4
These guys have since broken up. But they have an EP and man it was good.

These bands are definitely what I'm talking about, gently caress yes. Thank you for this.

Eight Is Legend
Jan 2, 2008
New PWD definitely slays - dat breakdown at 3:30. It's pretty clear, at least to me, why they are the current ring leaders of their scene, their songs are just more instantly memorable compared to a lot of other chugga-chug bands.

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

But I hope you leave enough room for my fist, because I'm going to ram it into your stomach!!!

Ramseyk posted:

Heartless

it owns hard that someone recommended this band, I was literally about to do so. But... did you find out about them through this thread? because if so, then it was from me. this is what they might call "meta as gently caress"

Seriously though, Heartless is awesome as f*ck. Also Your Memorial is very good

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

But I hope you leave enough room for my fist, because I'm going to ram it into your stomach!!!
also fucken awesome:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBJKuDK0QyE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gB34EUcps_U

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

even more awesomer, however,,,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wYRrf36hWAY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-y1ivKaZ7vc

holy poo poo,,

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

holy f-ck

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

Guys... GUYS!

This new Tony Danza track is in-loving-sane

http://www.altpress.com/features/entry/song_premiere_the_tony_danza_tapdance_extravaganza_the_alpha_the_omega

MMMCCLI
Apr 24, 2009
^^ I hate to admit it, but I agree with you. *shudders*

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!
Holy gently caress, Alex Erian and Phil Bozeman both on the same track? That's one of the most insane things I've heard in a while.

Also, my friend's band is opening for The Last Ten Seconds of Life/Bermuda/King Conquer on Sunday. Been listening to The Last Ten Seconds of Life a ton these last couple of weeks, should be a pretty sick show.

TheIllestVillain
Dec 27, 2011

Sal, Wyoming's not a country
is BTBAM still considered core? because their new album is amazing

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

BTBAM is considered boring jerk-off music

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

ShoogaSlim posted:

BTBAM is considered boring jerk-off music

Colors is awesome, Misdirect is good too but it's the same poo poo...yeah I can see myself being bored with their upcoming album if it sounds like Colors and Misdirect.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

Another track from the upcoming album of the year, guys:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_yE7FiAS0jc

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

ShoogaSlim posted:

Another track from the upcoming album of the year, guys:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_yE7FiAS0jc

Every track I've heard of this album makes it seem like the production is really muddy...

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Every track I've heard of this album makes it seem like the production is really muddy...

Everything tuned to drop E is either going to sound really muddy or painfully dry. I can hear the bottom string flopping around at the end, the whining "whap whap whap whap" breakdown. That might be emphasized by YouTube's audio compression. Damnit, stop mixing Meshuggah into my Acacia Strain, I hate Meshuggah.

It has been interesting to hear the influences that have been becoming more prevalent in their last two albums. I think they have always been fans of Integrity and Ringworm (especially with Human Furnace doing some vocals on TDW), they have been going towards the darker side of the Holy Terror stuff. They're shaping the sound to be a lot doomier - there's death/doom in the sound, and it seems that Vincent is just a fan of doom in general (thanking Matt Pike and Al Cisneros of Sleep, plus Dylan Carlson of Earth on Wormwood). DL obviously loves Meshuggah, which is why he's using eight strings and Thordendal's signature DAR amp - sounds like it's blended with a Mesa Rectifier and a 5150. This sucks because Meshuggah sucks and the sound is suffering from the excessive downtuning. The choppy riffing feels out of place a lot of the time, it felt more hammering and less choppy when you couldn't hear the strings flopping. I think DL might have gotten in a bit over his head in terms of production.

The intro to the song reminded me of the feel of the Grand Supreme Blood Court teaser that came out today, though the rest is quite different.

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

YOUR GOLDEN MAGNETIC LIGHT

TheIllestVillain posted:

is BTBAM still considered core? because their new album is amazing

Considering there is maybe one breakdown on the entire album I wouldn't even think of comparing it to any -core band. It's prog metal. AOTY for me though and I've been kinda hating on BTBAM since TGM.

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

Newer Strain still doesn't have the hooks/grooves of Continent and earlier, but this new track is blasting a lot of sick tones and riffs and I found myself nodding my head a lot and felt like screaming so: it's definitely an Acacia Strain song.

I really need to hear a better version of this than a super-compressed YouTube before I can figure out if I like DL's production or not.

e: repetition. Both these songs have that Meshuggah-like grind where it's the same riff for what feels like an entire song.

MMMCCLI
Apr 24, 2009
Urgh album of the year, are you even kidding? There's no way. Lets all be honest here, if this album was released under the name of some band you'd never heard of you wouldn't give it a second listen. From what has been released in their last 2 albums I've totally lost my boner for TAS. They've gone in a direction that is so boring I can hardly stand to listen to a single song all the way through. It's like a musical version of wading through treacle.

Can someone post something with some actual energy?

Cheers

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

It leaked. It rules. You suck.

OnlyJuanMon
Jan 25, 2010

:burger::taco::burger::taco::burger:
Too tired to chase fences right now.
:taco::burger::taco::burger::taco:

MMMCCLI posted:

From what has been released in their last 2 albums I've totally lost my boner for TAS. They've gone in a direction that is so boring I can hardly stand to listen to a single song all the way through.

Cheers

This pretty much goes for any deathcore band nowadays. The genre is dead.

Y'all should come on over to straight Hardcore, the scene is looking much more promising!

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

Oh yeah because the new Lionheart album doesn't get boring as gently caress after 2 listens.

e: it's still fun to do pull-ups to in my room :cool:

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
:fuckoff: Get this Meshuggah-clone poo poo out of The Acacia Strain, it's almost as bad as Meshuggah. :arghfist::jerkbag:

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

Still listening through (track 5 now) but I just heard a line that's a glimmer of old Strain and it owns a lot.

"Give 'em an inch, and they take a mile. All you were was a big butt and a smile."

e: track 6 literally recycles an exact riff from Servant In The Place Of Truth, released back in spring.

e2: Overall this is tuned too low, I had to use a Bass Reducer equalizer just to stop it clipping all the time on my headphones. Vincent's too low in the mix, I can't make out a lot of his vocals and that's NEVER been a problem before.

There's some real shining high points on this record, but also a LOT of Meshuggah-style drone riffing and the production is hard to get past.

I maintain that Doomblade will melt a motherfucker's dick clean off his body though. Dang what a fucken intro and then first breakdown :stare:

Wamsutta fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Sep 27, 2012

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

Making another post to emphasize that, holy poo poo, this song Doomblade is unbelievably sweet: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2BPio47_O4 aaauuuuuggghhhhhhhh The groove in that breakdown riff at 1:10 has my dick hard and is 100% vintage Strain, also the end part of the track at 3:30.... !

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

OK listened to this a few more times and yeah, that breakdown at the end is loving sick.

Still don't think environmentalism is very metal but if anyone could pull it off, it'd be PWD

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

I like the new Acacia Strain tape quite a bit. It's not like their old stuff, but it is unimaginably heavy. I don't mind the "meshuggah-style droning riffs" at all and actually like them. It's not just as gym-ready as their other stuff.

I think if this was a totally new band people would like it more, rather than being a new release from a band going in a direction that some people don't like. I like it :)

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

Doomblade and Dust & The Helix are two oldschool sounding tracks, the latter even features a f*ckin sick two step bit :O overall I am enjoying it a lot after two days of blasting it. Mouth Of The River has also become a hot favorite of mine.

Parachute
May 18, 2003

Traitorous Leopard posted:

Still don't think environmentalism is very metal but if anyone could pull it off, it'd be PWD

Tell that to Earth Crisis.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

I absolutely can't wait for them to inevitably open with Doomblade. Track hits the loving ground running and is high energy all the way through.

The album has a lot of really slow parts that I'm not entirely sure how I feel about but I remember having a similar opinion of Wormwood and then it all just clicked.

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

"House of Abandon" (the last song) is a really good one too :)))

Incursus
Sep 17, 2012

NOTHING LIKE HAVING THE BEST OEGAMIOM IN THE WORLD EVERYDAY!

XIII posted:

Romance is Dead will always be my favorite PWD song. Always.

I used to listen to that song before every PT test I ever took while in the army. Saw them open for Bring me the horizon and I ended up breaking my knee halfway through Romance is Dead. Had to wait for my girlfriend to drive 4 hours back to El Paso before I could go to the emergency room because I was out of a 200 mile radius of Fort Bliss. Was worth it in the end.

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

ShoogaSlim posted:

I absolutely can't wait for them to inevitably open with Doomblade. Track hits the loving ground running and is high energy all the way through.

The album has a lot of really slow parts that I'm not entirely sure how I feel about but I remember having a similar opinion of Wormwood and then it all just clicked.
Heck yeah brother Doomblade has opener written all over it. This record is falling into place with me and I've been blasting it at the gym since it dropped, unrelentingly heavy and cruel music augh yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Incursus
Sep 17, 2012

NOTHING LIKE HAVING THE BEST OEGAMIOM IN THE WORLD EVERYDAY!
Has anyone seen Lamb of God live? They are coming to Indianapolis with hatebreed. I guess Randy Blythe got out of jail.