Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS
For the other JetX20 videos, I'll try to link the music track that goes with it since you don't get to hear it very well over blanktester and I.

Speaking of which, we brought a special guest commentator in for the next 2 JetX20 vids and this Splashdown vid, mainly just to mess with him. So uh, decide his fate. Or not, it was just to spice things up a bit.

Splashdown Episode 3: Lake Quilotoa, Nice, Loch Ness and Madrid 2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
First Bigfoot and then the Loch Ness monster? Whats next, Mothman?

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!
So much goddamned All-Star. Maybe the playlist is sentient and knows where these videos are going. :smithmouth:

Either way, looking at both of these games I just don't really see myself playing them over Waverace 64, or even its sequel. Good on you to show off these games regardless.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
The stadium races remind me of nothing so much as Trackmania tracks.

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS

Tombot posted:

First Bigfoot and then the Loch Ness monster? Whats next, Mothman?

Bermuda Triangle.

Glazius posted:

The stadium races remind me of nothing so much as Trackmania tracks.

Another reason why there should've been a map editor in Splashdown. Even if it ended up nowhere near as cool as Trackmania tracks, I'd still try my best. I love map editors.

Insetik fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Sep 12, 2012

SnafuAl
Oct 20, 2010

VR! VR! VR!
BLOODY VR!

Going to have to back Blanktester up here, Loch Ness does not look like that. They did however get that glorious Scottish summer weather absolutely spot-on.

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS
Well, I wasn't disagreeing with him or anything. The only level I could accurately compare from my experiences is "Local Midwest Pond, USA".

Well, here's another JetX20 vid, and this was actually the first one we did with Alan the silent roommate. So that's why he actually gets a real introduction here. buy borderlands 2

JetX20 Level 5: Permafrost
Music - Cold Out Here

Six Of Spades
Oct 24, 2010

"...That too is according to my calculations."
Cold Out Here is looking to be my favourite track after the menu music. I've looked around online for a PAL copy and couldn't find it, so I guess it never got a release in the UK :(

I did, however, find a copy of Downhill Domination for £1.50. BMX isn't as cool as snowboarding or jet skis, but at that price, I can't say no, can I?

blanktester
Aug 28, 2012

Also I saw my hand on blood lying on the ground, and I saw someone with device's like pile bunker and grind with evil smile

Six Of Spades posted:

I did, however, find a copy of Downhill Domination for £1.50. BMX isn't as cool as snowboarding or jet skis, but at that price, I can't say no, can I?

I think you'll have more fun with DD than with JetX2O when playing on the harder difficulties. Especially if you play the whole game with cheats. I wonder how much it would cost to get a copy of JetX2O off Amazon or something...

When I looked it said there was one left in stock for (US)$17.99, but it also said new ones were available for as low as $4.29. Yeah, I don't know.

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS

Six Of Spades posted:

Cold Out Here is looking to be my favourite track after the menu music. I've looked around online for a PAL copy and couldn't find it, so I guess it never got a release in the UK :(

:getin:

I think Downhill Domination is honestly the best game of all the ones I've done so far, maybe even the best of all the games I'll do. It knows what it wants to be, and it's not trying to imitate anything. Consistent difficulty that goes up at a good pace as you progress through the circuit, and only a few tracks near the end that have dumb moments (like Salt City Freeride's shortcuts). It's not very tough to learn, and I basically provided a full walkthrough. While the characters aren't that different, and the soundtrack is... not really there, it keeps a level of quality that the other games have trouble keeping.

Like I've been saying, other peoples' experiences with these are always welcome, especially if your purchase was brought on by this thread.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
That was absolutely ridiculous air at about 3 minutes in.

blanktester
Aug 28, 2012

Also I saw my hand on blood lying on the ground, and I saw someone with device's like pile bunker and grind with evil smile

Glazius posted:

That was absolutely ridiculous air at about 3 minutes in.

Yeah, it highlights just how unrealistic the gravity is. It takes about 9.5 seconds for him to fall the distance he falls, that (to me) looks about 200-300 feet, but if you were falling in freefall for 9.5 seconds you would have travelled just over 1450 feet. I'd say the game would be a lot less fun if you had to pull off those moves in the 4 seconds you'd get in real life for that height.

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS

blanktester posted:

Yeah, it highlights just how unrealistic the gravity is. It takes about 9.5 seconds for him to fall the distance he falls, that (to me) looks about 200-300 feet, but if you were falling in freefall for 9.5 seconds you would have travelled just over 1450 feet. I'd say the game would be a lot less fun if you had to pull off those moves in the 4 seconds you'd get in real life for that height.

Then again, you think the Loch Ness monster is 100,000 miles wide.

Anyways, on to the next level, which is pretty good when the AI's not somehow coming in first despite no one passing me and nothing showing up on the progress bar.

JetX20 Level 6: Neotropic
Music - Sleepwalker

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I noticed you get some air off that cracked lava block at the beginning. I'm guessing you can jump off of anything sloped, not just the ramps?

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS

Glazius posted:

I noticed you get some air off that cracked lava block at the beginning. I'm guessing you can jump off of anything sloped, not just the ramps?

It depends on the angle of the slope though. Anything at a small angle like that you can ride up, but anything much steeper than that you just "bounce" up. Like, your guy jerks forward and you can't do a trick for a bit.

Something about the wave currents that I haven't mentioned is that they can screw you up when going off a ramp if the current is at its highest, because it's a steeper angle when you just hit the top of a ramp, so you don't actually ramp off it. Isntead, you crash into it, and bounce up, getting much less air and not being able to do anything for a few seconds. Basically, you missed the jump because you got to it at the wrong moment.

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS
drat, you all almost went a week with SPLASHDOWN!!! On this episode, blanktester gives us some insight into the world of level making, so if you want real discussion, we got it here.

Splashdown Episode 4: Kuta Beach, Tokyo, Nile River and Seoul 2

Also, it's about time I start playing and getting ready for the next game. I know I've been playing racing game after racing game, so I think it's time to go back to an objectives game. Only problem is that I have three of them. That's right, it's audience participation time

Aggressive Inline is a game where you do cool tricks on roller blades, featuring an "Incredible soundtrack from bands such as: Hoobastank..." and I stopped reading the back cover right there.

Dave Mirra Freestyle BMX 2 is a biking game in the vein of Tony Hawk (ok all of these are) where you complete certain challenges around a level to unlock tougher challenges in that level. Interact with real pro BMX bikers that we don't care about

Wakeboarding Unleashed is probably the world's only wakeboarding game. You follow a boat as you go on a path through the levels, but there are objectives to do along the way. Also, if I remember right, the boat goes back around to the start, so it's not like you only have one chance.

So there are 3 games here. Post in the thread which one you want me to do first. I played Dave Mirra and Wakeboarding a long time ago, and I've never played Aggressive Inline, but I shouldn't have a problem picking it up. All three of these have been brought up in this thread, so I'll need everybody to reach their inner kid and decide which game you most want to see (I'll get to all of them eventually). Of course, if I don't get very many votes, I do have an order, but you guys will play nice... riiiiiight?

Insetik fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Sep 17, 2012

Six Of Spades
Oct 24, 2010

Aggressive Inline! I actually have it in my collection, albeit unplayed. I can play along with the LP for a change! (I also got that copy of Downhill Domination so expect a trip report soon I guess!)

SnafuAl
Oct 20, 2010

VR! VR! VR!
BLOODY VR!

I played Aggressive Inline to death as a kid, and we've been on the water quite a bit lately, so let's go with Dave Mirra Freestyle BMX 2.

Major_JF
Oct 17, 2008
Hmm let's see:
Wakeboarding Unleashed: More water? My brain is getting soggy for all the water sports so No.

Dave Mirra Freestyle BMX 2: Well you could it is different than the other 2 bike games but we already had 2 other bike games.

Aggressive Inline: is what is left go with that one.

Edit: when you were complaining about the lack of changes on track 13 the area that you were referring to was part of the path you come back on. So, if they didn't yell at you and rest you, you could just hop over turn around and skip half the track.

Major_JF fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Sep 17, 2012

Beffica
Apr 6, 2009

by Azathoth
Aggressive Inline, like it's been said before, we've had enough bikes and water for now.

Kefit
May 16, 2006
layl
The first thing that came to my mind when I saw this thread was Dave Mirra Freestyle BMX 2. My friends and I played that game to death when we were in high school, and I'd love to revisit it now.

AutistTree
Mar 28, 2010
Agressive Inline please! I want to see how :airquote: edgy and zany :airquote: they tried to make this game.

AutistTree fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Sep 17, 2012

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
Aggressive inline sounds different enough to what we've seen already, lets go for that one.

Distant Chicken
Aug 15, 2007
Really? Rock Show is the Blink 182 song in this game? That seems like a weird pick. No weirder than All Star, I guess.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

Hi. I forgot your name. Whatever.
My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.
I say Aggressive Inline to both give us a new "sport" and so that I can see a game I was curious about but never played. I would like to see Dave Mirra after it, though.

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS

Major_JF posted:

Hmm let's see:
Wakeboarding Unleashed: More water? My brain is getting soggy for all the water sports so No.

I was actually going to do the 2 jetski games then Wakeboarding Unleashed and call the block "Watersports Month" but blanktester laughed at that title and told me not to use it. I don't know why, I thought it was fine.

Ok so keep voting, oh people who haven't voted. Of course we are all going to be playing Borderlands 2 for a while but I'd find time to work on the winning game, maybe even record some.

Double May Care
Mar 28, 2012

We need Dragon-type Pokemon to help us prepare our food before we cook it. We're not sure why!

I'd love to see Dave Mirra, especially if you manage to show off the first one just a little, if only for Slim Jim Guy. :allears:

Grope-A-Matic
Nov 16, 2008

sigh... you really suck at hand
to hand combat i wont lie and
this is way more challenging
then i thought it would be. to
teach you hand to hand combat,
alright i will try to teach you
some more hand to hand combat
Nthing Agressive Inline. Sounds like the one of the three most different from what we've seen so far.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
Man, that's a hard question to ask. I enjoyed Aggressive Inline quite a bit (excessive jiggle physics aside), but Dave Mirra was real fun too. Just for tension's sake, I'm voting for...DAVE.

Mr. Highway
Feb 25, 2007

I'm a very lonely man, doing what I can.
I was always more of an inline skater, which means I had some roller blades and managed to not break a bone, so I'm voting Aggressive Inline.

Just a Fish
Mar 22, 2012

ThornBrain posted:

I say Aggressive Inline to both give us a new "sport" and so that I can see a game I was curious about but never played. I would like to see Dave Mirra after it, though.
my thoughts exactly

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS
Alright well Aggressive Inline is pretty much knocking it out of the park, so the next game will probably be that. For now, enjoy some jetski racing.

JetX20 Level 7: Aquatica
Music - Aquarius

Six Of Spades
Oct 24, 2010

Aesthetically, I really liked that stage, though it looks like a total rear end to race on.

I did I quick play of Downhill Domination today to see if the disc was functional and it is! Sorta. Musical glitches everywhere, and when I went to the Bike Shop after finishing the first race, the game locked up. Hm. Well, I can play it after a fashion, so that's not so bad for the super-cheap price I paid for it. The race itself was actually pretty drat intuitive (you have very responsive handling, and controls roughly like SSX with dedicated accelerate and jump buttons), but you flip/spin at a surprisingly slow rate, and the game is very selective about the angle you can survive a landing sometimes (and not others).

If I can keep playing without any serious lockups, I can see myself finishing it.

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS

Six Of Spades posted:

Aesthetically, I really liked that stage, though it looks like a total rear end to race on.

I did I quick play of Downhill Domination today to see if the disc was functional and it is! Sorta. Musical glitches everywhere, and when I went to the Bike Shop after finishing the first race, the game locked up. Hm. Well, I can play it after a fashion, so that's not so bad for the super-cheap price I paid for it. The race itself was actually pretty drat intuitive (you have very responsive handling, and controls roughly like SSX with dedicated accelerate and jump buttons), but you flip/spin at a surprisingly slow rate, and the game is very selective about the angle you can survive a landing sometimes (and not others).

If I can keep playing without any serious lockups, I can see myself finishing it.

You probably did a freeform spin/flip. If you're going to flip backwards, prime your jump, hit forwards quickly then hold backwards and jump. Do the same thing for frontflips and left/right spins.

Hope you get at least a bit more fun out of the game.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
I like how Seoul 2 in Splashdown only had one left turn.
This is what Motocross Madness 1's level editor looked like:

(There was more pieces like High level track pieces but that was basically the whole thing)
Also on the old Motocross Madness 2 webpage you can download two video tutorials on how to create levels. I assume this is the exact way they made the levels in Splashdown just with an Add Water button/options. MM2 and Splashdown were only released a year and a half apart so yeah.

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS
Well, here's the final part of Splashdown. The video is kind of long but that shouldn't be too bad. More game discussion ahoy and the worst "victory video" that I have ever seen are also in here. Seriously, gonna want gifs, people.

Splashdown Episode 5: Venice, Bering Strait, Amazon River and Lake Havasu

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

Dear lord, I found myself squinting to try and see the rest of the track in that Amazon video. What the hell were they thinking?

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS

T1g4h posted:

Dear lord, I found myself squinting to try and see the rest of the track in that Amazon video. What the hell were they thinking?

Gotta make things tougher (in a way that makes no sense and is never used again)!

I kinda think the developers had more nighttime tracks, saw how lovely they were, and removed the night effect, forgetting one in the process. It's the only way it would make sense.

Also, does anyone know why my winning lead of 0.4 seconds jumped to a lead of a minute and a half in the final screen on Amazon? Like, does anyone know why or how that could happen?

Distant Chicken
Aug 15, 2007
That cutscene. :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Major_JF
Oct 17, 2008
I like that after awhile all you had to do to advance was show up.

• Locked thread