Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Z-Magic
Feb 19, 2011

They talk about the people and the proletariat, I talk about the suckers and the mugs - it's the same thing. They have their five-year plans, so have I.

netally posted:

Iceland's Christmas adverts are always the highlight of the holiday season. I always wanted to try a hoisin duck christmas tree. We once had a very depressing end of term party in my old student house, catered exclusively by Iceland. The American party platter was quite nice, but the defrosted plate of sandwiches was grim. I suppose it saved us the supreme effort of just loving buying some bread and cheese.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khGQSqocvGU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

netally posted:

Since we're on the food subject. Any recommendations for cooking shows which actually teach you recipes the average human can use? I like Nigella, because although a few of her ingredients are odd, most of the stuff she cooks is quite basic and looks impressive. I tried Jamie's 30 min meals, but I can't stand the twat and he moves at such a fast pace it's hard to follow what he's doing.
Anything River Cottage (although it's about lifestyle and the presenter(s) as much as the cooking), Saturday Kitchen.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
I always find that Nigel Slater cooks really good food, and explains himself in a clear and concise way. He also doesn't really have any kind of gimmick, unlike virtually any other TV chef out there.

Giedroyc
Feb 18, 2001

Can't post for 2,400,000 hours!
Sky is launching a new Bond movie channel. Which means we'll have one channel dedicated to showing all 22 Bond films (maybe with the DVD extras to pad out time? I can't imagine people wanting to watch Peter Lamont in HD)

This has the knock on effect of ruining ITV's lazy afternoon programming schedule. They could always just put The Mummy on instead.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

We had a brief chat about The Daily Show a bunch of pages back, I thought the website was working in the UK again because I was able to watch some videos on my laptop. Then I tried later on my desktop and couldn't so presumed it was an error.

Turns out it was because I had a custom DNS server in place on the laptop, and TDC site uses the DNS to work out your location, rather than Geo IP (Netflix does this as well). So if you want to see any of those videos, just add '208.67.222.222' to your DNS list. I use it as my primary, it won't slow down your connection like a Proxy/VPN does.

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer

Giedroyc posted:

There's ready meals and then there's ultra lazy ready meals. Like Rustlers and those fake panini things that you put in a Microwave and smell like the Zeebrugge ferry disaster.

haha, that's a great description!

I worked in a factory that produced those types of 'food' back in 1997. I can't imagine the process has changed too much, it basically consisted of variations on standing at a conveyor belt for 8 hours placing 'cheese food' slices on burgers, putting salsa in taco shells (god help you if you put too much in, they'd stop the belt and DEMAND to know which feckless idiot put in 2g too much and then shout at you) and sticking labels on refried beans containers (it is cheaper to get humans to do it)

I lasted 2 days. I clocked out, never went back, and never heard from them again.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

netally posted:

Since we're on the food subject. Any recommendations for cooking shows which actually teach you recipes the average human can use? I like Nigella, because although a few of her ingredients are odd, most of the stuff she cooks is quite basic and looks impressive. I tried Jamie's 30 min meals, but I can't stand the twat and he moves at such a fast pace it's hard to follow what he's doing.

Gordon's current series (5pm channel4) is decent for recipes. Its just a basic cookery lesson every episode. The recipes are easy and use ingredients you can find easily in supermarkets. Also watching Gordon taste his own food and try his hardest not to swear is fantastic.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

Giedroyc posted:

Sky is launching a new Bond movie channel. Which means we'll have one channel dedicated to showing all 22 Bond films (maybe with the DVD extras to pad out time? I can't imagine people wanting to watch Peter Lamont in HD)

This has the knock on effect of ruining ITV's lazy afternoon programming schedule. They could always just put The Mummy on instead.

They have the rights for a year, but I think the channel is only running for a month. Probably just until the release of the new one.

Padje
Sep 10, 2003

I don't much care for the attitude of filthy money-lenders

NaDy posted:

Don't forget the culinary masterpiece that is chicken tikka lasagne.

yes.

Ah, Skittlebrau.

The Perfect Element posted:

I always find that Nigel Slater cooks really good food, and explains himself in a clear and concise way. He also doesn't really have any kind of gimmick, unlike virtually any other TV chef out there.

He wants to shag food.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

The best cooking program is The Good Cook just for how gorgeous it looks. Give a guy an HD high-speed camera and suddenly he thinks he's Tarsem loving Singh

Noreaus
May 22, 2008

HEY, WHAT'S HAPPENING? :)
Great British Bake Off or nothing :colbert:

Also, Lorraine Pascal is just the worst. She just assembles things. She makes things like "some swiss roll from the shop, plus some ice cream. There, I made something."

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

I like Saturday Morning Kitchen. They tend to actually use ingredients normal human beings can acquire.

The pHo posted:

We had a brief chat about The Daily Show a bunch of pages back, I thought the website was working in the UK again because I was able to watch some videos on my laptop. Then I tried later on my desktop and couldn't so presumed it was an error.

Turns out it was because I had a custom DNS server in place on the laptop, and TDC site uses the DNS to work out your location, rather than Geo IP (Netflix does this as well). So if you want to see any of those videos, just add '208.67.222.222' to your DNS list. I use it as my primary, it won't slow down your connection like a Proxy/VPN does.

Hmmm, would this work so I could get US Netflix?

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

VogeGandire posted:

I like Saturday Morning Kitchen. They tend to actually use ingredients normal human beings can acquire.

Hmmm, would this work so I could get US Netflix?

unblock-us.com for this, five dollars a month, good value in my eyes.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Yeah unblock-us is (supposedly) more intelligent than just a straight US DNS, it (supposedly) only fakes your location for certain services like Netflix and Hulu, not absolutely everything.

I think it's actually $5 Canadian a month.

FelixMeOneMoreTime
May 11, 2010

netally posted:

I found The Delicious Miss Dahl to be good. I think the recipes are comparable to Nigella's, and Sophie Dahl is lovely :3:

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.
I'm finding this wartime farm programme strangely fascinating but I think it might just be because I enjoy watching people in old clothes romping around the countryside pissing around with antique, dangerous farming machinery.

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad posted:

I'm finding this wartime farm programme strangely fascinating but I think it might just be because I enjoy watching people in old clothes romping around the countryside pissing around with antique, dangerous farming machinery.

Agreed, it's awfully enjoyable. It's the same sort of pleasure I get when I watch stuff like Giles Coren & Sue Perkins eating rotting fish and pretending to live in the Tudor period for a week, or Professor Lucy Womsley skipping about stately homes investigating the history of the bidet.

There's just something very comforting about programmes like that. It makes me really appreciate my central heating, electricity and indoor plumbing.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
What is the point of the non Academic talking heads in Sky Atlantics The British? Russel Brand does not know nor give a gently caress about the consequences of the Peasant Rebellion.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Irisi posted:

Agreed, it's awfully enjoyable. It's the same sort of pleasure I get when I watch stuff like Giles Coren & Sue Perkins eating rotting fish and pretending to live in the Tudor period for a week, or Professor Lucy Womsley skipping about stately homes investigating the history of the bidet.

There's just something very comforting about programmes like that. It makes me really appreciate my central heating, electricity and indoor plumbing.

I loving love The Supersizers. We need more of that. Giles and Sue had amazing chemistry together which made it all the better.

Al2001
Apr 7, 2007

You've gone through at the back

FelixMeOneMoreTime posted:

I found The Delicious Miss Dahl to be good. I think the recipes are comparable to Nigella's, and Sophie Dahl is lovely :3:

Even though I'm basically in love with Sophie Dahl this was far too twee for me. I don't like being taught cooking by people who aren't chefs either though.

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Each morning after Sunblest
Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic
QI Series J started yesterday. Was it just me or was it really weirdly edited? The klaxons didn't go off once (except for that little joke on Victoria Coren at the end), yet somehow Jimmy Carr and Alan Davies had negative scores.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

DominoDancing posted:

QI Series J started yesterday. Was it just me or was it really weirdly edited? The klaxons didn't go off once (except for that little joke on Victoria Coren at the end), yet somehow Jimmy Carr and Alan Davies had negative scores.

And was it just me or did they not have General Ignorance and Fry's standard joke at the end?

Still, I thought it was a superb episode. The little boy in me was giggling for five minutes straight during that part.

Catzilla
May 12, 2003

"Untie the queen"

DominoDancing posted:

Probably because the QI score rules were written by the same chap that writes the rules for Mornington Crescent.

Real answer is that they probably film about 2 or 3 hours of material, so the editor decides what gets shown

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic
You guys are probably right of course. Perhaps the XL version will have the "missing" parts.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
I've pretty much made it a rule to always watch QI XL and skip regular QI, less trimming and you don't have to watch it twice.

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES

Catzilla posted:

Real answer is that they probably film about 2 or 3 hours of material, so the editor decides what gets shown

I believe this is the official answer for why HIGNFY scores often don't add up to what you see on the programme. It's probably also exactly what happens with basically any other scored topical quiz on TV, though I don't think there are many shows which fit that description.

Szmitten posted:

I've pretty much made it a rule to always watch QI XL and skip regular QI, less trimming and you don't have to watch it twice.

I'm in the same boat with Have I Got More News For You as well, it's annoying that there's a longer wait to see it,

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic
I just read a confirmation on the QI forums that General Ignorance as its own round has actually been dropped from the show. And while that's weird (Change! Booooh!), I'm not sure if it makes an actual difference.

eggshaped on QI.com posted:

[...] We felt that for the last few years people had stopped going for the forfeits as they became used to the format, so this year we still have Gen Ig questions but they're sprinkled throughout the show.

DominoDancing fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Sep 15, 2012

sex pervert
Mar 22, 2011

Rondette posted:

haha, that's a great description!

I worked in a factory that produced those types of 'food' back in 1997. I can't imagine the process has changed too much, it basically consisted of variations on standing at a conveyor belt for 8 hours placing 'cheese food' slices on burgers, putting salsa in taco shells (god help you if you put too much in, they'd stop the belt and DEMAND to know which feckless idiot put in 2g too much and then shout at you) and sticking labels on refried beans containers (it is cheaper to get humans to do it)

I lasted 2 days. I clocked out, never went back, and never heard from them again.

You know, I've always wondered who or what put the cheese slices in the burgers. Thank you, Rondette. My world is a little less mysterious now.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
I always imagined some little tiny robot arm did it myself. My perceptions of Microwave meal assembley forever shattered.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

So more The Thick of It tonight!

And the advert confirms the return of both Malcolm AND Ollie.

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Waiting for a train, I needed a shit. You won't bee-lieve what happened next

VogeGandire posted:

So more The Thick of It tonight!

And the advert confirms the return of both Malcolm AND Ollie.

Where when?

e: found it
"
Season 4 Episode 2 of 7
Former minister Nicola Murray finds herself facing a new set of pressures in opposition following her party's election defeat, including being harassed by a man in an unusual costume. However, her problems mount when journalists get a glimpse of some embarrassing meeting notes - and she starts to worry about how close fellow shadow cabinet member Dan Miller is getting to media strategist Malcolm Tucker. Political satire, starring Rebecca Front and Peter Capaldi
Read more at http://www.tvguide.co.uk/detail.asp?id=134087385#wMVZ6cI7Jw6058K3.99
"

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Holy poo poo Malcolm trying to describe Star Wars.

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

Slightly taken out of the Thick of It ambience by the fact that I've just realised that Dan Millar is played by the same bloke who was the dad in "My Parents Are Aliens", that kids TV programme on ITV from about 8 years ago.

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice
She even LOOKS like Ed Milliband, frightening.

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Christ Ollie has lost some weight hasnt he, he was a skinny fucker before but ...

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

BizarroAzrael posted:

Holy poo poo Malcolm trying to describe Star Wars.

"The one about the loving space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin. His father's a robot and he's loving hosed his sister. Lego. They're all made of loving lego."

I love the fact that he's so clearly bored and a little out of touch in this episode, as is right for a man who's spent 2 years away from power.

Oh, I do love Peter Capaldi as Tucker. He's able to make his eyes so horrifyingly cold and reptilian when he plays the character. I think the MP at the end was right when he said he'd been raised by wolves.

CydonianKnight
May 7, 2007

What do you want? Toothpaste in my eye!
To change the subject for the worse:

Jacques Antoine, the creator of Treasure Hunt, Interceptor, The Crystal Maze and Fort Boyard died yesterday.

Re-runs of those shows on Challenge have probably accounted for about 2000 hours of my life.

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Irisi posted:

[i]"The one about the loving space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil I think the MP at the end was right when he said he'd been raised by wolves.
That guy is Milliband isnt he dont you think?

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Irisi posted:

Oh, I do love Peter Capaldi as Tucker. He's able to make his eyes so horrifyingly cold and reptilian when he plays the character. I think the MP at the end was right when he said he'd been raised by wolves.

Capaldi looks like a loving SUPERVILLAIN. It's just that god-damned death stare.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

Seaside Loafer posted:

That guy is Milliband isnt he dont you think?

Well he was in series 1/4, so maybe not.