Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Donald Kimball
Sep 2, 2011

PROUD FATHER OF THIS TURD ------>

So, I've got a '98 Audi A6 sedan, and some part of the audio has gone out. The radio still turns on: I can see the station, change stations, etc, but there's no sound. I'm not sure if it's the amp or wiring somewhere. I've been considering a new stereo system for a little while, but should I take this to the dealer and get it checked out, or would Best Buy be able to install new poo poo and have me ready to go?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

schnibs
Jan 10, 2006
I know this corner of the earth, it smiles at me
Apologies if this question has been asked before but it's a big thread and I searched as much as possible without success.

Sometimes when starting my Golf up i get this issue:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDYfqa7JW3s&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Notice the Coils light and the Key light flashing. Research on the internet has only found one or the other flashing, not alternatively. This is before the key is turned fully, before the engine starts. The engine then turns over when I turn the key, but then immediately dies. Turning the key to off and on a few times generally cures the issue, but it's really annoying.

For reference it's a 2004 Mk5 Golf 1.9 TDi SE. My car knowledge is basically zero so any advice before taking it to a dealer would be appreciated.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Video is private.

schnibs
Jan 10, 2006
I know this corner of the earth, it smiles at me

Bovril Delight posted:

Video is private.

Sorry, fixed it.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
I took my 2010 GTI to a tuner shop in Seattle yesterday to get the Unitronic Stage 1 flash. It was supposed to be done in a few hours, and now we’re on day two. Apparently the software crashed (running inside of Firefox, wtf?) during the flash and they’re on the phone with Unitronic tech support. Has anyone heard of something like this happening? Is there a chance they fried my ECU/computer dealie? I thought this was supposed to be a painless upgrade :ohdear:

Edit-turns out the Unitronic dongle the shop was using had an outdated key for the software. Once it was updated it flashed without issues.

Edit2-hoolly poo poo I've never experienced tire slippage in 2nd gear before, it's stupidly fast. How on earth do people handle stage 2 and beyond in every day traffic?

Haptical Sales Slut fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Sep 13, 2012

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

schnibs posted:

Apologies if this question has been asked before but it's a big thread and I searched as much as possible without success.

Sometimes when starting my Golf up i get this issue:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDYfqa7JW3s&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Notice the Coils light and the Key light flashing. Research on the internet has only found one or the other flashing, not alternatively. This is before the key is turned fully, before the engine starts. The engine then turns over when I turn the key, but then immediately dies. Turning the key to off and on a few times generally cures the issue, but it's really annoying.

For reference it's a 2004 Mk5 Golf 1.9 TDi SE. My car knowledge is basically zero so any advice before taking it to a dealer would be appreciated.
https://www.tdiclub.com is a great place for any TDI related questions.

Francis Baconator
Jul 11, 2008

Thanks for the avatar man!
Would it be stupid to buy a 2001 VW Passat 2.8 V6 with 266,000 miles on it? I'm trying to get more info, but the ad alleges most of the miles were highway miles, that it's in good mechanical condition (is that really possible?), has recent brake work and a new battery. The kicker is that they're asking $1,800, but are taking offers. Pictures look pretty good.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Francis Baconator posted:

Would it be stupid to buy a 2001 VW Passat 2.8 V6 with 266,000 miles on it? I'm trying to get more info, but the ad alleges most of the miles were highway miles, that it's in good mechanical condition (is that really possible?), has recent brake work and a new battery. The kicker is that they're asking $1,800, but are taking offers. Pictures look pretty good.

Gonna quote this post that NM wrote for you

nm posted:

Please don't give bad advice.
You're correct, that this generation of VW/Audis hve some issues, but lets be clear, the 4 motion system is certainly the most reliable system on this car. In fact, the very simple torsen diff is exactly the type of thing that the germans still do well. I'd venture that the awd system on that car is among the most reliable made, more so than subaru's VLSDs.
A run down of the 2.8L automatic Passat.
As a 2002, this is what is called a B5.5 Passat, it is based on the B5 Audi A4 with a longer floorpan, however, the rear end (suspension and diff) share parts with the Audi A6.
The drivetrain on this is a mixed bag.
If you're in a non-emissions state, the 2.8L is actually a pretty good motor. The 2.8L shares most of its internals with the 2.7TT, though without the boost, obviously. Forged bits, pretty fancy and robust cooling and oiling. These motors are mostly bulletproof. No, really.
Its weaknesses:
They leak oil like a sieve, mostly through the valve cover gaskets (which can be fixed for a reasonable price if the shop knows how to do it without service position).
The temp sensor will fail at some point and if its cold, your car won't start. It is a $20 part that can be changed easily if you have the hands of a 6 year old.
The cat dies around 100k mi. The cat is amazingly expensive (over $1000). Car will throw an intermittent CEL while it is dying.
The transmission is a ZF box that has been used in every german car you can think of from the boxter to the 3 series to well, audis. It has serious heat issues. VW said that it had a lifetime service interval. This is a baldfaced lie. 60k mi at the most. Get it changed and change it often and you'll be fine. Keep it until 100k and wonder where reverse went when you cross 120k.
The timing belt on the 2.8 is due at 75k (the 1.8t is at 60k) regardless of the manual. You need to do everything, the water pump, pulleys, and DO THE drat THERMOSTAT -- nothing worst than doing 8 hours of work or paying a mechanic $800 to have a $30 part fail and have to do all that labor all over again.

Most Passat horror stories are from the 1.8T or w8 engines, which are nightmares.

The electrics are interesting.
A 2002 passat could have one fo two electrical system. The early 2002s (evidenced by a single DIN radio and traditional wiper blades) have a traditional system. later ones (have a double din and "aero" wipers) have a CAN bus. The early 2002 is reasonably reliable, and I don't know anything about the can bus but ahven't heard of any real issues unless you try to install an aftermarket radio and are an amateur.
It is mostly trouble free, if you keep it dry. This is a problem on these cars. Water can leak from the sunroof and from the cowl tray area. The cowl tray area shouldn't be an issue on 2002+. If you're sunroof free, you should be good. Check for signs of water in the front footwells otherwise. There is a recall on the sunroof issues, make sure that gets performed. If water gets in the footwell it can take out the transmission control unit and the comfort and convenience unit (if any electronics at all in the car don't work, this is likely the cause and avoid).
If you keep dry, the only quasi electric common problem is the airbag clockspring failing.

Everything else
The one area that these cars are amazing for is rust resistance. I lived in Minnesota for 7 years. These cars don't rust. VW/Audi has some amazing rustproofing.

This is where the cars have failing. Your wheel bearings will fail. You LCAs will need to be replaced as will the TREs. (These are expensive and labor intensive). You CV boots suck. Basically the suspension sucks. However, if you're not a loving dubber and don't slam it or put 20in wheels on it, it won't be so bad.
--

Basically, it can be a reasonable car. Get it inspected by the best VW shop in the area. Do maintenance religiously. And if you pay $10k you're a moron. It isn't a toyota or something though.
Don't buy a 1.8t or w8 (or even the TDI -- the 2.0 has failing oil pumps)

The biggest problems I have with it now after a year of owning it is the circuit in my door has a bad solder joint (sometimes thinks the door is open as a result). Make sure the timing belt has been changed recently too.

SEStone
Jun 30, 2007

Nuts and Gum posted:

I took my 2010 GTI to a tuner shop in Seattle yesterday to get the Unitronic Stage 1 flash. It was supposed to be done in a few hours, and now we’re on day two. Apparently the software crashed (running inside of Firefox, wtf?) during the flash and they’re on the phone with Unitronic tech support. Has anyone heard of something like this happening? Is there a chance they fried my ECU/computer dealie? I thought this was supposed to be a painless upgrade :ohdear:

Edit-turns out the Unitronic dongle the shop was using had an outdated key for the software. Once it was updated it flashed without issues.

Edit2-hoolly poo poo I've never experienced tire slippage in 2nd gear before, it's stupidly fast. How on earth do people handle stage 2 and beyond in every day traffic?

I work for an APR dealer and do all of their performance flashes and installation. The 2009+ MED17 ECUs are reasonably bombproof...if something happens during a flash, it is hard to 'brick' them and you just restart the flashing process. It sounds like they got you sorted out.

Sticky tires help the traction issues. All seasons, mediocre summer tires, dirty pavement, wet pavement, and cold pavement are your enemies in this battle. Upgrading the dogbone mount/bushing will also help the axle hop you're prone to getting during wheel spin. If you think it's bad now, wait until you get an intake and a downpipe, or throw a K04 on the car. A K04'd TSI is a total riot to drive if you can get it to hook up.

BurgerQuest
Mar 17, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I was under the impression newer model MK5s shipped with K04's? Entirely unsure though.

coffeeshopgoth
May 14, 2010

"Why must I always be waylaid by jackassery?"
I am looking at picking up an Audi and was wondering if anyone on here switched from BMW to Audi. Pros/Cons between the two in your opinion? Does anyone drive an S5? If so, how has it treated you and have you picked up any Stasis stuff for it? Thanks all!

Opensourcepirate
Aug 1, 2004

Except Wednesdays

PhancyPants posted:

Is it a terrible thing to replace yourself?

The clutch Master Cylinder isn't too bad. They slave could be bad as well, and is even easier to replace. The hose between them is mostly steel but with a rubber section to allow the engine/transmission to move around in the bay. The rubber can wear out so it expands when pressure is applied, and could also be your issue, although I'd expect the cylinders to be much more likely issues.

You can also try just bleeding the system and seeing if that helps. It might help for a little bit and then go bad again, which could indicate a bad cylinder. The bleeder screw is easy to find on the slave cylinder. It's 11 mm - one of the few 11 mm parts on the car.

SwashedBuckles
Aug 10, 2007

Have at you!

coffeeshopgoth posted:

I am looking at picking up an Audi and was wondering if anyone on here switched from BMW to Audi. Pros/Cons between the two in your opinion? Does anyone drive an S5? If so, how has it treated you and have you picked up any Stasis stuff for it? Thanks all!
I switched from an E46 330i to an S4 a few years back. I liked the interior of the Audi better than the 335i, but the BMW cornered better. Steering felt heavier in the BMW as well. I ended up getting the sports rear differential on the S4 which allows you to push into corners with the throttle, but it still doesn't bring it up to the level of the BMW. I think the Audi was a few thousand cheaper too. I've had no reliability complaints from either (1 recall for each in the time I owned them).

I ended up going with the S4 because it seemed like more bang for the buck, but the best advice is just to drive both and see what you prefer. I never thought I'd buy an Audi, but I gave it a shot on a whim and here we are.

HATE TROLL TIM
Dec 14, 2006
Here's a tip for changing your DSG oil at home, without any special equipment or tools!

Normally, you'd have to buy an expensive adapter from VW to pump the fluid in from the bottom, then use VAG-COM to check the transmission temperature while letting excess fluid drain out the overflow.

However, my method eliminates all of that. When you drain your DSG oil, measure how much you took out. If you drain 4.5L, simply put exactly that amount (+0.1L to account for the filter) back in and you're good to go!

Instead of pumping it in from the bottom, you can simply pour it into the filter housing.

Wal-Mart and Advance Auto both carry Hoppy-Flo funnels which work great for this:

The tip fits perfectly into the filter port:

Hopefully this will save someone else some time and hassle!

SEStone
Jun 30, 2007

coffeeshopgoth posted:

Drive both and see what you like. They are both good cars, but each car does certain things better than others. I know lots of local guys that used to drive Audis that got huge boners for E9x 335s. They're quick cars (400hp/400tq with $1k in mods), and they handle niceish, but I personally find the interior and styling putrescent. The other bunch, like dropshadow, are picking up B8 S4s and all seem to be liking them. Or you can go buy a 996 Turbo for about the same money and enjoy a real man's car (if you don't mind a lovely interior).

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat
Anyone have tire suggestions? My '08 a4 avant has a nail in one tire and the rest are almost gone anyway so I'm going to replace them. Discount tire says about $225 per tire for Michelin Pilot Super Sports which is the way I'm leaning. I have the titanium package so they are 18s.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

havelock posted:

Anyone have tire suggestions? My '08 a4 avant has a nail in one tire and the rest are almost gone anyway so I'm going to replace them. Discount tire says about $225 per tire for Michelin Pilot Super Sports which is the way I'm leaning. I have the titanium package so they are 18s.

You can't have a tire discussion without knowing things like what you use the car for, your driving style, where you live (weather, road types and surfaces), and if these are your only set or you do a summer/winter swap.

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat

Motronic posted:

You can't have a tire discussion without knowing things like what you use the car for, your driving style, where you live (weather, road types and surfaces), and if these are your only set or you do a summer/winter swap.

Summer only is fine. I'm in Texas. I've autocrossed occasionally in the past, but it's probably not likely now. It might be worth it to me to spend a bit more on a better performing tire so I can pretend I'll actually find time to autocross if that makes any sense.

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

havelock posted:

I put a set of PSS's on my S4, and they are without a doubt the best tire I've ever owned. I had a set of Hanook Ventus Evo v12 k110's (that's a mouthful) on my B7 Avant, and was just going to get another set of those, but a couple friends pressured me into the PSS's, and I'm glad they did. I was reluctant to put down the extra cash for the Michelins, but they have proved themselves worth the cost. I'll always buy them from now on.

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat

DropShadow posted:

I put a set of PSS's on my S4, and they are without a doubt the best tire I've ever owned. I had a set of Hanook Ventus Evo v12 k110's (that's a mouthful) on my B7 Avant, and was just going to get another set of those, but a couple friends pressured me into the PSS's, and I'm glad they did. I was reluctant to put down the extra cash for the Michelins, but they have proved themselves worth the cost. I'll always buy them from now on.

That's all I needed to hear, thanks. I've gone the budget route before (with Sumitomos on my z4 coupe...they got greasy on auto-x, and I put those Hankooks on my M3 but never got a chance to auto-x it).

Do you have a new S4? If Audi brought an S or RS avant over I'd be forced to buy one, but I still think about trading for a sedan S4.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

I had Pilot Super Sports on my WRX and have them on my B8 S4 and I've got no complaints. I can't really compare them to anything else since I don't autocross or track day.

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

havelock posted:

That's all I needed to hear, thanks. I've gone the budget route before (with Sumitomos on my z4 coupe...they got greasy on auto-x, and I put those Hankooks on my M3 but never got a chance to auto-x it).

Do you have a new S4? If Audi brought an S or RS avant over I'd be forced to buy one, but I still think about trading for a sedan S4.

I have a B8 S4, though I also wish that the new S4s were available here as a wagon. As much as I like the power of my S4, I miss driving an Avant a lot more than I expected to, and have decided that my next car will be another Audi wagon.

Here's my S4:

... and here's my old wagon:

DerDestroyer
Jun 27, 2006

DropShadow posted:

I have a B8 S4, though I also wish that the new S4s were available here as a wagon. As much as I like the power of my S4, I miss driving an Avant a lot more than I expected to, and have decided that my next car will be another Audi wagon.

Here's my S4:

... and here's my old wagon:

Is that midnight blue on your S4?

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat

DropShadow posted:

You probably just saved me some money :)

My sensible plan is to drive this until the CPO warranty runs out and then drop a K04 in it or something silly like that.

I really like being able to carry my wife, kid, and 100lb Great Pyrenees comfortably anywhere. Mine's just an '08 s line titanium...with lots of brake dust on the wheels to make them look flat black.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Someone I work with is thinking about getting a mk5 Jetta TDI. I know the '09 has the common rail engine and telling him about the HPFP failure possibility scared him a bit but I know that the pre '09 models had a different engine. I've done a bit of research for him and haven't found anything really serious, is there anything outside of standard VW maintenance he'd need to know about on the earlier models?

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

DerDestroyer posted:

Is that midnight blue on your S4?

It's a 2011, so it's deep sea blue. I believe midnight was a 2012 color.

Aflicted
Jun 9, 2007

DropShadow posted:

THIS.

I had put the same Hankook set on my S2000 and thought I had struck the budget/performance lottery on them. I really actually did. On my B7 A4 I put on the Continental Extreme Contact DW and I quite like them and the price was the same. If I had it all to do over again... I will before too long. I'll drop the extra cash for the PSSs. A friend of mine has gone through two sets and they are worth it IMO.

HATE TROLL TIM
Dec 14, 2006
I was looking at Conti DWS but now you've all got me wanting the PSS's.

Aflicted
Jun 9, 2007

timb posted:

I didn't get the DWS, just DW. I live in the south so there it is not a big deal to run UHPS tires year round so long as you don't act a fool in the winter months with water on the ground. I have heard and read great things about the DWS tires as well and see plenty of cars with them.

Opensourcepirate
Aug 1, 2004

Except Wednesdays

fknlo posted:

Someone I work with is thinking about getting a mk5 Jetta TDI. I know the '09 has the common rail engine and telling him about the HPFP failure possibility scared him a bit but I know that the pre '09 models had a different engine. I've done a bit of research for him and haven't found anything really serious, is there anything outside of standard VW maintenance he'd need to know about on the earlier models?

Before the Common rail models was the PD engine. It had problems with camshafts wearing out and failing, especially if the wrong oil was used. I would go to tdiclub.com for more info.

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

timb posted:

Every set of Continentals I have owned have been utter poo poo. The set that came on my MkV GTI didn't make it to 15k miles. Even if they had made it to 30k, they handled terribly in the wet & dry. I'll never buy Continentals.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

The Contis that came on the TDI aren't terrible, but they'll be gone by 30k. I wouldn't buy them but they aren't the worst OEM tire.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Bovril Delight posted:

The Contis that came on the TDI aren't terrible, but they'll be gone by 30k. I wouldn't buy them but they aren't the worst OEM tire.

The contis that come on VWs from factory are in fact poo poo. I have the DWS in 235/35/19 and absolutely love them. I had to go DWS because I deal with snow 4-5 times a year. I was able to get out of my neighborhood(they dont plow it) and haul plenty of rear end around town without any issues. These things handle as well as my old snow tires did on my 04, but I'd be willing to bet the traction control is better on my 11.

As to the 09 TDI, it's going to be a better car than the current Jetta, just because it still has IRS and soft touch interior. It's the same engine as current TDIs, and if he is really worried about the HPFP, the rate of asploding is less than 1% and alot of those are from misfueling.

veedubfreak fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Sep 17, 2012

FreeFunnelCake
Jul 3, 2011
I am in the market for my first car and one ad on CL has a 1999 2.0 Jetta for $1,000 because the safety neutral switch needs to be replaced. Is it worth buying the car and having it fixed, or should I continue my search? If it is worth fixing, what would the cost and labor time be?

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

FreeFunnelCake posted:

I am in the market for my first car and one ad on CL has a 1999 2.0 Jetta for $1,000 because the safety neutral switch needs to be replaced. Is it worth buying the car and having it fixed, or should I continue my search? If it is worth fixing, what would the cost and labor time be?

The 2.0 engine is probably the slowest engine VW has made since the 36hp air cooled engine in the old bugs. I'll just leave that there for you.

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
HEY ILL HAV 2 TXT U L8TR I JUST DROVE IN 2 A DAYCARE AND SCRATCHED MY RAZR

Bovril Delight posted:

I got about 60k out of mine before one got a bit thumpy from not rotating it in 20k towards the end... might have gone to 65-70k since it was the beginning of warm season when I had to replace it.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

veedubfreak posted:

The 2.0 engine is probably the slowest engine VW has made since the 36hp air cooled engine in the old bugs. I'll just leave that there for you.

Unless you live outside of North America where much slower options were available

drizzle
Jul 7, 2004

The world is a fine place and worth the fighting for and I hate very much to leave it.
Another DWS user here. I'm at about 50k miles with them and thought they've done really well in all conditions. I'm about due for a new set of tires and probably am going to go with them again. Kinda tempted to get a summer set now and a set of winter tires/wheels in a few months but I'll probably just get the DWS again and save some money. I do feel they are rather loud though.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

veedubfreak posted:

Dumb question from a veedub admirer... Isn't the 2.5 they're currently using just the 2.0 with an extra cylinder? I had a jetta rental last week and aside from the interior, the worst part of the car was the 2.5 engine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

Goober Peas posted:

Dumb question from a veedub admirer... Isn't the 2.5 they're currently using just the 2.0 with an extra cylinder? I had a jetta rental last week and aside from the interior, the worst part of the car was the 2.5 engine.

I'm not sure of its origins, but I will concur that it is a horrible engine. My wife had one in the '07 Rabbit she drove for five years, and it ruined what would have otherwise been a fun little car. It was surprisingly loud, slow, and not as economical as a car that size should be. Didn't help that it was an automatic either.