Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sheogorath
Mar 29, 2007

I think that maybe he's removing all the memories to weaponize Ysengrin.

So lets assume that Coyote actually means to give the memories back. If that happens, It'd be likely that suddenly giving them all back would probably instantly drive Ysengrin insane. It seems possible that Coyote could modify the memories or only give back parts of them to paint a specific picture. Also since the more crazy he seems to get the larger and more dangerous his plant component gets, so that may utterly consume him. Like when the Jones comments on how he contorted his body.

Also, belief is power according to Coyote. Since belief drives the existance of etheric creatures, their memories may also act as some sort of self-belief? Either through actual power or in how they hold themself together. This would explain how Ysengrin seems to be more and more controlled by plant-self, since its a more based on a gift from Coyote, and might be based on Coyote and his belief rather than Ysengrin's. By suddenly regaining all these memories, it could make him potentially much much more powerful or in control of his powers than the Court expects, since they've only seen him degrade over time.

I dunno why Coyote wants to do this though. Maybe full-power insane Ysengrin could send so much plant material over the gap that Jeanne couldnt cut through it all? If he made the gap then would he just fill it in for a joke?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

One Legged Cat
Aug 31, 2004

DAY I GOT COOKIE
Well since Coyote is Coyote, there is always a chance this is just part of a huge practical joke. As far as we know he's manipulated everything that's happened in the comic so far, and Gunnerkrigg Court is actually the story of one of Coyote's greatest jokes.

Alkanos
Jul 20, 2009

Ia! Ia! Cthulhu Fht-YAWN
:stare:

I've got a feeling that the GC archives will get a lot of traffic today as people reread everything with Ysengrin. I know I will!

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

Oh poo poo

Coyote is either the last chance that Ysengrin has at salvation, or (more likely) his damnation. His sadistic grin and Ysengrin's desperate plea to remember what he's done really seal it.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort
I'm just gonna post this fanart I found on Tumblr here because holy poo poo.

by http://witnesstheabsurd.tumblr.com/Unknown Kadath

Ezzer
Aug 5, 2011

Holy poo poo indeed. :stare:

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
Watch it turn out that Annie's summer in the woods wasn't all fun and elf boyfriends after all.

Pardot
Jul 25, 2001

Nipponophile posted:

Watch it turn out that Annie's summer in the woods wasn't all fun and elf boyfriends after all.

Watch it turn out that she actually had a fantastic relationship with her father.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Coyote had been growing a bit more sinister in this arc. But this is.. it's downright creepy.

Edit: I just realized something.

http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/archive_page.php?comicID=1076
Look at that page.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

Dr Pepper posted:

Coyote had been growing a bit more sinister in this arc. But this is.. it's downright creepy.

Edit: I just realized something.

http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/archive_page.php?comicID=1076
Look at that page.

:aaaaa:

Maybe this won't be as sitcom-y as I was expecting, then. I was def. expecting a Annie/Ysengrin "You attacked me"/"No I didn't" back and forth, but if Annie finds out about what Coyote is doing early on then it takes it from wacky sitcom territory into something more interesting.

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Did I... did I miss anything important?

Pardot posted:

Watch it turn out that she actually had a fantastic relationship with her father.
"Wait, what? I told you all about where I was going! Don't you remember the dozens of phone calls we've had ever since?"

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

What if Coyote did the same thing to Annie when she stayed over

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
I wonder if this page is connected: http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/archive_page.php?comicID=488

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Ursine Asylum posted:

:aaaaa:

Maybe this won't be as sitcom-y as I was expecting, then. I was def. expecting a Annie/Ysengrin "You attacked me"/"No I didn't" back and forth, but if Annie finds out about what Coyote is doing early on then it takes it from wacky sitcom territory into something more interesting.

What if Coyote missed a spot at some point, and the (saner) Ysengrin told Jones what was going on at a meeting between the sides? From what we know about Ysengrin, he's not an evil force of any kind, but rather one that literally doesn't know what he's been doing for the last god-knows-how-many years, with all of the hatred caused by that layered upon his soul.

Coyote's kind of a sick gently caress.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

pandaK posted:

What if Coyote did the same thing to Annie when she stayed over

What if Coyote did something like this to Diego?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Fangz posted:

What if Coyote did something like this to Diego?

That one's not too likely. Coyote's pretty comfortable sticking around in Gillitie. Diego's an example of the villainy that originated purely from the Court.

Coyote's a bastard and pretty solidly in "antagonist" territory after this latest stunt, but it would be pretty weak for him to be the sole cause of so much of the story's drama.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
Okay, source of entertainment and food. But this just gives room for fresh delicious misery to grow anew.

gently caress's sake Coyote go back to being yippy and only (relatively) slightly dickish.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Oxxidation posted:

That one's not too likely. Coyote's pretty comfortable sticking around in Gillitie. Diego's an example of the villainy that originated purely from the Court.

Coyote's a bastard and pretty solidly in "antagonist" territory after this latest stunt, but it would be pretty weak for him to be the sole cause of so much of the story's drama.

Well, I mean, what if Diego's 'they killed her and we did nothing' isn't denial like we had assumed, but that he literally did not remember what happened. One day, Jeanne just disappeared and no one would talk about it.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Coyote doesn't want Ysengrin to realize that he's capable of such aggressive acts. Why not, apart from remaining slavishly devoted to Coyote and the forest? Why do it this way? Ysengrin will think that Annie is the one who turned on him.

The real new question raised by this is: which of Renard's memories has Coyote taken? A close reading of those early chapters might be called for. Would somebody not currently posting from a phone be willing to oblige?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Bongo Bill posted:

Coyote doesn't want Ysengrin to realize that he's capable of such aggressive acts. Why not, apart from remaining slavishly devoted to Coyote and the forest? Why do it this way? Ysengrin will think that Annie is the one who turned on him.

The real new question raised by this is: which of Renard's memories has Coyote taken? A close reading of those early chapters might be called for. Would somebody not currently posting from a phone be willing to oblige?

I don't think that Coyote took any of Renard's memories, but that he did quietly orchestrate the events that would lead to Renard being trapped in the Court. The most suspicious thing about Coyote is that he's an interloper. No matter what he claims, he doesn't belong in Gillitie. But then he just sashayed into those woods and not long after one of its original "leaders" was disposed of and the other made a crippled, insane wreck under his thumb. He's consolidating power for some reason, but he's so unpredictable that it's currently impossible to know what that reason is.

Fangz posted:

Well, I mean, what if Diego's 'they killed her and we did nothing' isn't denial like we had assumed, but that he literally did not remember what happened. One day, Jeanne just disappeared and no one would talk about it.

We saw Diego's entire history on a projector screen. He hated the woods with a passion and wouldn't have gone anywhere near it after strengthening the seal. What this chapter confirms is that there are terrible people (speaking figuratively in Coyote's case) on both sides of the river, not that Coyote's been gulping down the memories of every villainous character in sight.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Ysengrin probably didn't remember burying the tick-tock bird when he went to the Court. :stare:

We're all so angry at Coyote we didn't comment on the GORGEOUS artwork today. Good work as always.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Oxxidation posted:

not long after one of its original "leaders" was disposed of and the other made a crippled, insane wreck under his thumb

Assuming you mean Renard and Ysengrim here, I don't think they were original leaders or anything, Coyote brought them to the forest with him.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Zerilan posted:

Assuming you mean Renard and Ysengrim here, I don't think they were original leaders or anything, Coyote brought them to the forest with him.

Nope, Coyote heard of a forest where a fox and wolf spirit rained misery and joy down on people so he came to investigate.

Why is Coyote the ruler of the forest? Just raw power?
I wouldn't want Coyote to be my king.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

VanSandman posted:

Nope, Coyote heard of a forest where a fox and wolf spirit rained misery and joy down on people so he came to investigate.

Why is Coyote the ruler of the forest? Just raw power?
I wouldn't want Coyote to be my king.

http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/archive_page.php?comicID=490

He searched for them, but they came to the forest together. Renard also states that the founding of the court was before his time.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Gnome de plume posted:

Okay, source of entertainment and food. But this just gives room for fresh delicious misery to grow anew.

gently caress's sake Coyote go back to being yippy and only (relatively) slightly dickish.

A lot of people in this thread got pretty comfortable with the capricious and powerful forest god, huh? The one who pulls down the moon for funsies? Whose tooth can cut a shadow? Whose general is the butt of his every joke? The one who half the people in this thread can't help but hear his lines in the voice of Mark Hamill as The Joker, and maybe there's a good reason for that?

If you go back and read it again, there's always been this sinister undercurrent from Coyote. The wakeup call in this chapter isn't just for Annie. Coyote may be awesome, he may be terrific, but he isn't nice.

And shoot me if I'm wrong, or even projecting a little, but does it seem like there's always a bit of Coyote sitting back from himself, watching himself perform? Nothing that's drawn explicitly ever, just... body language and tone.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

VanSandman posted:

Ysengrin probably didn't remember burying the tick-tock bird when he went to the Court. :stare:

That's a really good point; I'd clean forgotten about that.

Dogbutt
Nov 26, 2011

Look at my face.
No don't hurt Ysengrim no stop NOOOOOOOOOO. Why does this comic do everything I DON'T want it to do :(

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

the2ndgenesis posted:

So is Coyote literally consuming Ysengrin's memories in such a way that they can never be recovered again?
He says, "I'll hold onto this for you," so I'm guessing the memories still exist. And given Coyote's story about memories always living out there in the ether somewhere, he probably wouldn't destroy them completely, even if he could.

But I don't know if Ysengrim will ever get them back. :smith:

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

What's amazing is that this arc started with this.

Coyote looking all scary and monstrous, only for it to fall apart quickly and it quickly became him at his silliest.

And then, we get a slow build up of creepiness. Contrasting the over the top "Show" Coyote put on with the much more subtle and genuine sinister acts.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Oh no you guys Coyote is bad! :(

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?
Coyote is the Walter White of Gunnerkrigg Court. It starts out all fun and games, illegal hijinks and capers, you're cheering for them, etc.

And then BAM they turn around do something totally hosed up that leaves you shell-shocked and disgusted.

Also Ysengrin is Skylar

Murderion
Oct 4, 2009

2019. New York is in ruins. The global economy is spiralling. Cyborgs rule over poisoned wastes.

The only time that's left is
FUN TIME
Given that she threw her blinker stone at Ysengrin, is it possible that Annie's watching all this? Or will she find out when she talks to Jones anyway?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Murderion posted:

Given that she threw her blinker stone at Ysengrin, is it possible that Annie's watching all this? Or will she find out when she talks to Jones anyway?

Jones has no idea any of this is happening, which is probably one of the more unsettling parts of the whole deal. She just thinks Ysengrin's losing his mind, not that his mind's literally being taken from him.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Oxxidation posted:

Jones has no idea any of this is happening, which is probably one of the more unsettling parts of the whole deal. She just thinks Ysengrin's losing his mind, not that his mind's literally being taken from him.

I wouldn't be so sure of this. Like Dr. Pepper noted, when Coyote tells Annie to talk to Jones and ask about the stars in the night sky he's holding some stars right there, and they might well be memories. Perhaps Jones doesn't know what specific memories Coyote has stolen, but I'd wager at least that the stars are memories and she knows that.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Oxxidation posted:

Do we know this for sure? We know very little about what Jones ACTUALLY knows, just what she's told other people and how they've interpreted it.

Agreeable Employer
Apr 28, 2008

Well Manicured Man posted:

I'm just gonna post this fanart I found on Tumblr here because holy poo poo.

by http://witnesstheabsurd.tumblr.com/Unknown Kadath

Noice!

Daktar
Aug 19, 2008

I done turned 'er head into a slug an' now she's a-stucked!

Murderion posted:

Didn't she just use it to make that flash? I would have assumed she'd have blinked it right back to herself after she was done.

Pardot
Jul 25, 2001

I wonder if you could describe that big eye on that page as wandering.

Pester
Apr 22, 2008

I'd assumed that the big eye was the Great Spirit. Seems unlikely for a capitol G kind of god to be running around in the court.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
I think they're going to talk about the literal stars here. As in, "how can Coyote have put the stars in the sky if humans made him up". We'll see, though.