Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

Saw a Harley rider swing really wide over the median on a right hand turn, just in front of another left hand turn that also happened to be fairly blind. Then he pulled right into his driveway. I can't imagine how many times he must do that if he fuckin' lives there and hasn't figured out that turn yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
I was walking out of the gym today and some guy in the parking lot sees my gear and walks up to tell me about a bike accident he saw up the street, where a car apparently ran a red light and t-boned the guy. I made a comment about how poor/inattentive the drivers are, especially on that stretch of road, and got:

"I know, it's all those drat Mexicans! Most of them don't even have licenses! That's why I just sold my Harley!"

Among other things the poor driving in western CT certainly stretches across ethnic and other demographic lines. And besides, since the area is heavily Portugese speaking our immigrant population is mostly Brazilian with almost no Mexicans.

E: I forgot, he also asked me if I ride "some Ninja crotch rocket"

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
My preferred derogatory term for Japanese bikes is "rice-burner" or "rice-rocket", because crotch rocket always makes me think of this sort of thing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yA0EaLjKnLE

kenny powerzzz
Jan 20, 2010

Sagebrush posted:

My preferred derogatory term for Japanese bikes is "rice-burner" or "rice-rocket", because crotch rocket always makes me think of this sort of thing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yA0EaLjKnLE
I prefer "jap scrap".

Giblet Plus!
Sep 14, 2004
I had a harley rider, my tow truck driver, inform me that he does 150+ mph on the freeway with his big twin bagger. It has a lot of screaming eagle parts.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Are they even geared that high?

BaKESAL3
Nov 7, 2010
Considering that's around the same speed as a built modern 600cc supersport and it only has around 105hp, tops. I'd reckon he's full of poo poo.

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006
--the creator of awesome--

Probably Hates You posted:

Considering that's around the same speed as a built modern 600cc supersport and it only has around 105hp, tops. I'd reckon he's full of poo poo.

But he's got screamin' eagle heads! :911:

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷
Maybe he's hitting 150 in kilometers or "fag-miles", pardon my patriot talk.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
Yeah according to Harley the top speed on the soft tail is 120. The Twincams have rev limiters anyway.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Probably Hates You posted:

Any stretched and slammed busas?

You shouldn't have to ask that about Key West.

BaKESAL3
Nov 7, 2010
That's specifically why I asked :ssh:

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006
--the creator of awesome--
Who ever said you actually needed a front brake?

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac/mcy/3283499328.html

Wulframn
Jul 6, 2012

sexy fast velociraptor

XYLOPAGUS posted:

But... but... how is he going to layer dan without the front brake? :ohdear:

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

He won't. It's a safety feature.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
With that motor and rear sprocket I think the motor might stop it quicker than any brakes.

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.

kenny powerzzz posted:

I prefer "jap scrap".
"Rocket Socket" - a term introduced to me by a goon here who overheard a member of The Greatest Generation use it in a bike shop.

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42
My girl's father calls them "Zoom Splats".

Detroit117
Mar 28, 2012

Wings Of Steel

XYLOPAGUS posted:

Really like the looks of that bike (except the headlight). Enough that I could get past the no front break. Not very practical and definitely unsafe, but that is what is great about customs. They do not have to be.

Quite A Tool posted:

My girl's father calls them "Zoom Splats".

Haven't heard that one before. Made me laugh.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

I get "How's the chook chaser?" every time I rock up at the pub and the Harley guys are there :/ I kind of like it now, it might as well be my nickname to them with how often they use it to greet me. And refer to me :/

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

The annoying one is 'donor cycle'. Thanks, SQUIDS.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
To be fair when riding a springer like that without a damper on it, front brakes can be more dangerous then not having one. When you engage the front brake on a springer the wheel will start to bounce and jitter, making the ride unsteady to stay the least. So not having one, while stupid, can be less stupid depending on how your bike reacts.

Best idea is to have the srpings switched out the add pistons inside the springs or to do what HD did and put a giant gently caress off looking piston between the twosprings sticking out 7 inches. Because that looks hard as gently caress (read: dumb as poo poo)

Wulframn
Jul 6, 2012

sexy fast velociraptor
Went by the shop today to pick up my license plate. Only took two months to get it in, but we finally got it.

While I was there I got into a brief conversation with a young squid who showed up on his 'busa.

He poked light in general about my lil' 250 and proceeded to tell me about the awesome that is the 'busa. We turned to performance and he proceeded to inform me:

:smug:: Yeah, you know the secret to getting real performance out of your bike, right?
:v:: What's that?
:smug:: Double-clutching
:v:: SRSLY?
:smug:: Yeah, people think that it's only for older cars but all bikes benefit from it. It increases transmission life and really gets maximum power out of the bike.
:v:: :frogon:

I still don't know how or, even, really, why one would do this. There's no way to access neutral from any gear, it's only between first and second, so I'm assuming he is actually shifting down from third into neutral, letting it float for a moment, then shifting back up to fourth? :wtc:

So, not only is he a squid, but he's not even a good squid?

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

Wulframn posted:

Went by the shop today to pick up my license plate. Only took two months to get it in, but we finally got it.

While I was there I got into a brief conversation with a young squid who showed up on his 'busa.

He poked light in general about my lil' 250 and proceeded to tell me about the awesome that is the 'busa. We turned to performance and he proceeded to inform me:

:smug:: Yeah, you know the secret to getting real performance out of your bike, right?
:v:: What's that?
:smug:: Double-clutching
:v:: SRSLY?
:smug:: Yeah, people think that it's only for older cars but all bikes benefit from it. It increases transmission life and really gets maximum power out of the bike.
:v:: :frogon:

I still don't know how or, even, really, why one would do this. There's no way to access neutral from any gear, it's only between first and second, so I'm assuming he is actually shifting down from third into neutral, letting it float for a moment, then shifting back up to fourth? :wtc:

So, not only is he a squid, but he's not even a good squid?

He probably just doesn't know what double clutching is. You should've feigned ignorance/interest and asked him to explain how to do it.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Day Man posted:

He probably just doesn't know what double clutching is. You should've feigned ignorance/interest and asked him to explain how to do it.

It's when you squeeze the clutch twice, innit? :downs:

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
It's when you use both hands.

Wulframn
Jul 6, 2012

sexy fast velociraptor

Day Man posted:

And normally I would have, but I did not sleep last night and my brain's stupidity processing centers were already approaching critical mass for the day so I was afraid he might, literally, cause a mental melt down and I'd end up in the hospital babbling nonsense and stitching pillows that said stuff like "Kill the 'busa" and "Double-clutch that bitch!" for the rest of my life.

Honestly, I'm trying to be like you - optimistic and hoping he just thought it meant popping the clutch twice in a row or something - but dammit if he didn't seem like he understood the basic concept of shifting into neutral before shifting into a higher gear.

Now I wish I really had asked him to explain it in detail for me. :smith:

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid
I have a feeling he meant rev-matching, or at least that's what I'm going to believe for my own sanity.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

Bondematt posted:

I have a feeling he meant rev-matching, or at least that's what I'm going to believe for my own sanity.

Maybe he meant clutchless shifting, which is even more hilarious.

Wulframn
Jul 6, 2012

sexy fast velociraptor

Boat posted:

Clutchless shift then pop the clutch twice to make sure she's in gear as well as make her scream! :v: Masterful!

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

Maybe he meant using the clutch to shift then a clutch up for a wheelie in every gear. PERFORMANCE:rock:

invision
Mar 2, 2009

I DIDN'T GET ENOUGH RAPE LAST TIME, MAY I HAVE SOME MORE?

Retarded Pimp posted:

Maybe he meant using the clutch to shift then a clutch up for a wheelie in every gear. PERFORMANCE:rock:

"Motorcycles can go faster doing a wheelie because there's less friction because only one tire is on the ground!!!!"

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice
http://jacksonville.craigslist.org/mcy/3291867819.html

:nixon:

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

Boat posted:

I shift clutchlessly sometimes....

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

Ponies ate my Bagel posted:

I shift clutchlessly sometimes....

I think it's the fact that he referred it to as double clutching, which is like a infinite amount more clutching than you would need to do a clutchless upshift.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

What's the trick to clutchless shifting then? I tried it today and it just felt super clunky and was hard to do.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
Engine load and RPM.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Be accelerating and fairly high on the rev range, and while you're pushing the shifter with your foot, let off the throttle a bit and then get back in it once the gears shift

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Remember that it's all one very quick motion. Once you get the hang of it you'll find it way smoother, easier, and faster than normal shifting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

On this topic, clutchless upshifting I can do no problem but when I downshift there's always a pretty rough shunt, what's the trick for downshifting? I have no problem when I use the clutch, but with clutchless it's irritating :(

• Locked thread