Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Pollyanna posted:

Is there any secret to getting rages for Gau? I hate having to run around the Veldt for for-loving-ever trying to get a Rafflesia.

Enemies in the Veldt always appear in a specific order. Saving and loading will alter the current "Veldt number." You should probably look up a fAQ for it but it's extremely easy to game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ross
May 25, 2001

German Moses

Pollyanna posted:

Is there any secret to getting rages for Gau? I hate having to run around the Veldt for for-loving-ever trying to get a Rafflesia.

The key is to stash Gau on the airship and never use him.

Bovineicide
May 2, 2005

Eating your face since 1991.

Ross posted:

The key is to keep Gau in your party forever, because he's the best goddamn character.

Captain Vittles
Feb 12, 2008

I'm not a nerd! I'm a video game enthusiast.

ImpAtom posted:

Enemies in the Veldt always appear in a specific order. Saving and loading will alter the current "Veldt number." You should probably look up a fAQ for it but it's extremely easy to game.

It's not that simple. Enemy encounters are subdivided into groups (what you called Veldt Numbers); the groups occur in a specific order. Some encounters are the only one in their group, hence why you see White Dragon or Sr Behemoth so loving often. Other encounters may occur only once or twice in the whole rotation, hence why you may not have Bleary on your list despite it being one of the first monsters you encounter (and one of the best, given it can cast Doom). So you may need to run through the whole set of groups multiple times to see a specific encounter, though in doing so you will see most of the common encounters and have chances to learn them. If all you want to do is finish the game rather than sperglord out and learn them all, then a few runs through will be enough to get Gau a lot of useful abilities.

Or just learn Stray Cat.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Ross posted:

What, exactly, inspires people to say things like this?

"Hey guys some tips on how to do this?"

"Heh. You don't. :smug:"

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Dr Pepper posted:

...Is this your first time reading SA or even this thread? Half the replies are :smug: my FF is better than your FF.

Mister Roboto fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Oct 23, 2014

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Welcome to SA where everyone likes to use :smug: and don't get tired of it, EVER.

Anyways, I've been playing War of the Lions and it seems like grinding is sort of a necessity in the game. I got kicked hard when I first went into Doter with Black Mages dealing out 30s in damage to me and after grinding some JP for a Black Mage, two Knights and my archer I came back and still almost lost my archer to them. Although my first few tries at Doter were before I discovered how to actually work job advancing and ability learning so that would be why.

My only problem with the game so far is it feels kind of slow, I put the speed patch on, but it still feels a bit slow overall.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Anyone have any suggestions on getting burned PSX games to play properly on a Messiah'ed PS2? I wanted to try out FFT 1.3 on my PS2. I downloaded the patch and ran it on the iso I ripped from my PSX CD and it plays fine under emulator, but it hangs in the first battle on the PS2. If this is too :files:, let me know, but I assume it's cool since I'm just modding a game I already own.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Sex_Ferguson posted:

Welcome to SA where everyone likes to use :smug: and don't get tired of it, EVER.

Anyways, I've been playing War of the Lions and it seems like grinding is sort of a necessity in the game. I got kicked hard when I first went into Doter with Black Mages dealing out 30s in damage to me and after grinding some JP for a Black Mage, two Knights and my archer I came back and still almost lost my archer to them. Although my first few tries at Doter were before I discovered how to actually work job advancing and ability learning so that would be why.

My only problem with the game so far is it feels kind of slow, I put the speed patch on, but it still feels a bit slow overall.

You're in for a treat, I wish I could play this for the first time again. Anyway, it is a bit slow. It's tactical. :downs: You can use this to your advantage.

Dorter is the game's first difficulty hump, and it's not easy for a newcomer. If you ever get REALLY stuck, get some JP on Chemist and give everyone Auto-Potion. I don't recommend it if you like any sort of challenge, though. Plus there are way more fun reaction abilities, like Monk has (old translation name) Hamedo. Cancels the enemy's attack and you hit them instead.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Sex_Ferguson posted:

Just as a warning, magic is much harder to tactically use in battle than physical attacks. Mainly because magic has a delayed reaction, whereas physical is instantaneous. So the computer, being smarter than us humans, is really good at moving the characters out of spellrange. You have to think 3 steps ahead to focus on magic in FFT. Also, white magic is terrible compared to chemists for healing.

And magic doesn't work on the atheists ( :smug: ) of FFT, so it's never a guaranteed killstrike.

That's the tradeoff for the wider affect range. Higher level magic spells go far beyond the cross-shaped pattern and can wipe out tons of bodies in one shot.

Mister Roboto fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Oct 23, 2014

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Mister Roboto posted:

Just as a warning, magic is much harder to tactically use in battle than physical attacks. Mainly because magic has a delayed reaction, whereas physical is instantaneous. So the computer, being smarter than us humans, is really good at moving the characters out of spellrange. You have to think 3 steps ahead to focus on magic in FFT. Also, white magic is terrible compared to chemists for healing.

And magic doesn't work on the atheists ( :smug: ) of FFT, so it's never a guaranteed killstrike.

That's the tradeoff for the wider affect range. Higher level magic spells go far beyond the cross-shaped pattern and can wipe out tons of bodies in one shot.

You can work around the delay, though. When you're hovering over an action, press right on the dpad. You'll see a list of who's about to get their turn, and where your attack falls in line with that. Just make sure they aren't going to move out of range and BLAMMO. Otherwise, the AI has a nasty habit of making sure the spell you targeted them with will hit as many of your party members as possible.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Mister Roboto posted:

Also, have you guys ever noticed how freakishly large Golbez's proportions are:

http://www.schala-kitty.net/pandaemonium/resource/_012_Heightchart-chaos-lineup.png

It's not a big deal normally because you can kind of maybe write it off as it just being really big armor, but then when you unlock his armorless costume he's like, the exact same size and it looks so bizarre compared to the rest of the cast.

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
man, FF9 brought the pain with FMV sequences.

How badass is this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G95N6jEZ6XA

and this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLEXKuXwbQ8

and this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJ8yjz3GBKk

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Those are pretty badass, but not as bad rear end as: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPeCGIK4Z_M

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Mister Roboto posted:

Those are pretty badass, but not as bad rear end as: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPeCGIK4Z_M

Great scene, but I think FFIX had two others that were basically amazing:

The Alexander v. Bahamut scene, the greatest summon scene in the series: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GemT2kn1TC0

And everything involving Vivi v. Black Waltz #3: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UqMkKZj1OO0

It was pretty goddamn incredible just how much Square improved their cutscene design and cinematography from FF7/8 ---> FF9.

Azure_Horizon fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Sep 15, 2012

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
Man, forget Kefka, Sephiroth, Kuja, whatever.
Queen Brahne is the best villain in the series.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

I wish I could embed Kefka laugh on this page.

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

You can work around the delay, though. When you're hovering over an action, press right on the dpad. You'll see a list of who's about to get their turn, and where your attack falls in line with that. Just make sure they aren't going to move out of range and BLAMMO. Otherwise, the AI has a nasty habit of making sure the spell you targeted them with will hit as many of your party members as possible.

Which is actually really funny, because with some playthroughs it feels like the only way I'm able to beat Dorter without grinding is turning my characters into jihad-style fire-bombs on the enemy.

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
I love Dorter and wish more fights in that game required its level of strategy. It's hard as nails but it's not a stupid difficulty like Riovanes castle. You can totally beat it without grinding.

First off I usually make sure my AI support characters actually have useful abilities, maybe change one of them into a chemist and give the other some black magic or something. I basically divide my units into two groups, one to scale the house you start next to and take out the archer there / secure it for our own height advantage, while the second, meatier group waits to conserve CT in case they get tagged by a spell and holds off the knight and wizard that start off close by. Once the archer up top is dead and my guys are high enough that the other bow-carrying archer can't really attack them that well, the battle gets manageable.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

Azure_Horizon posted:

And everything involving Vivi v. Black Waltz #3: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UqMkKZj1OO0

It was pretty goddamn incredible just how much Square improved their cutscene design and cinematography from FF7/8 ---> FF9.

I always get a kick out of BW3's expression right before his airship hot-rod explodes.

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug

Harlock posted:

I wish I could embed Kefka laugh on this page.

Don't worry, you've embedded it in my head just by mentioning it.

Ross
May 25, 2001

German Moses

Dr Pepper posted:

Let me be more specific so people like "Dr Pepper" can fellow: I don't think Gau is a very fun character to use and most of his hundreds of Rages are a waste of time unless your goal is to Catch'Em All, which is also a waste of time.

Bonaventure posted:

Man, forget Kefka, Sephiroth, Kuja, whatever.
Queen Brahne is the best villain in the series.

Kefka is probably my favorite villain in the series but I never really played FF9 much, I had a hard time getting into it and the battles were just so slow. Exdeath is probably the worst (generic being of evil).

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I'll have you know that Exdeath is the best just by virtue of being an evil tree.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E

Sex_Ferguson posted:

I'll have you know that Exdeath is the best just by virtue of being an evil tree.

Exdeath and Necron hang out on the weekends.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
I find it hard to dislike Exdeath because of how hammy he is, and how embraces all the cliches, just taking them in his stride. It helps that FFV is almost a light parody of the previous FFIV games.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Exdeath's final boss design is actually really cool, it's like a lot of JRPG bosses in that it's this bizarre horror from beyond space that is just real big and baroque for the sake of drawing a sprite like that, but like Kefka in FF6 its visual design actually makes sense and is interpretable.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Ross posted:

Let me be more specific so people like "Dr Pepper" can fellow: I don't think Gau is a very fun character to use and most of his hundreds of Rages are a waste of time unless your goal is to Catch'Em All, which is also a waste of time.

Then don't chime in when people are asking about how to use the character.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
I was going through some of FFXIV's soundtrack on youtube...and...well...I found this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GpftrjYCzpA

Kupo.

:suspense:

Ross
May 25, 2001

German Moses

Dr Pepper posted:

Then don't chime in when people are asking about how to use the character.

Is Gau your child or something? I'll post about whatever I want on these games in the Final Fantasy discussion thread, your permission isn't required.

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?
Show me which you'll choose!

Pesky Splinter posted:

I was going through some of FFXIV's soundtrack on youtube...and...well...I found this:

Kupo.

The fight itself looks pretty fun. The actual appearance of Good King Moggle Mog XII is hilarious as far as "poo poo just got real" moments go.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Ross posted:

Is Gau your child or something? I'll post about whatever I want on these games in the Final Fantasy discussion thread, your permission isn't required.

Heh, maybe if you used Gau you'd know his parents wouldn't get that defensive about him.

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Un malheur ne vient jamais seul.

Pesky Splinter posted:

Kupo.

Jolly Kogi's eye for fun is clear.

He'll put an arrow straight in your rear.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

So that's where Good King Moggle Mog XII is from. Was wondering about that.

All the best FMVs in IX involve flying things.

McDragon fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Sep 16, 2012

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Ross posted:

It has nothing to do with Gau at all.

It's that "Hey how I do do X" "Don't :smug:" is a complete non-contribution to any discussion.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Pesky Splinter posted:

Kupo.

Well now I need XIV on consoles.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Ross posted:

Exdeath is probably the worst (generic being of evil).

Exdeath is the best FF villain by sheer virtue of being an extreme stereotypical cartoonish bad guy MU WA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA.

He's the only Dissidia character self-aware to describe his own fighting style: TURTLE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=okCZPRkLEaw&feature=related

He even poses with a fine wine despite being a disembodied evil tree in armor:

Also, his Void-worshipping religious beliefs got him this:

Exdeath wins.

Mister Roboto fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Sep 16, 2012

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Pollyanna posted:

3/4 with a chemist lost? :psyduck:

One of those is me. :( I job fair-ed a Chemist for my second run instead of a second Geomancer but then got so bogged down with work and real life that I couldn't finish.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Mister Roboto posted:

Also, his Void-worshipping religious beliefs got him this:

They're both going to be surprised on the honeymoon, when she finds out he's a tree, and he finds that, "she", technically isn't.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Pesky Splinter posted:

They're both going to be surprised on the honeymoon, when she finds out he's a tree, and he finds that, "she", technically isn't.
Aren't they both shapeshifters?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Pesky Splinter posted:

They're both like 1000 years old, at that point you hardly care.

Shwqa posted:

Aren't they both shapeshifters?

Abstract embodiments given human form, so pretty much, yeah.