Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Honey Badger
Jan 5, 2012

^^^ Like this, but its your mouth, and shit comes out of it.

"edit: Oh neat, babby's first avatar. Kind of a convoluted metaphor but eh..."

No, shit is actually extruding out of your mouth, and your'e a pathetic dick, shut the fuck up.

berzerkmonkey posted:

Umm, ok... How come almost all of them look better than the winner? :colbert:

Because the rest of them weren't gundams.

On an unrelated note, do the new GW washes still make that really glossy sheen? I mean I know I can knock it down with some matte varnish at the end, just curious.

Similarly, does anyone have any tips for muting the shine on metallics? I hate NMM because I don't want to spend the time hashing out a light source and then having a bunch of models that only look good from one angle, but metallic paints are just so drat shiny. I want a dingy scrap iron look, but even the darker metallics look gaudy as hell a lot of the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Honey Badger posted:

On an unrelated note, do the new GW washes still make that really glossy sheen? I mean I know I can knock it down with some matte varnish at the end, just curious.

They're not supposed to have that problem; frankly the old ones shouldn't have had that problem either as long as you shook up the pot first.

R.S. Gumby
Jul 26, 2007

Utterly useless.

!amicable posted:

Which goon has a converted Araby counts-as Empire army? That is a sweet army.
That'd be me. That's pretty drat cool, if I wanted a giant for my army I'd nick that idea in a second. Hell, if I find a cheap used giant I'd be really tempted.
But I don't think I'll do anything more for my army though. I got the last of my stuff done not too long ago, so I consider it finished now. Only thing left to do would be some completed army pics for this thread.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

SRM posted:

They're not supposed to have that problem; frankly the old ones shouldn't have had that problem either as long as you shook up the pot first.

The inks did, though. I know I mixed them up a couple of times.

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Isn't rubbing alcohol a paint stripper? I know it's taken a few layers of some models I've done. Are you just super light with the alcohol?

I put down a coat of gloss varnish before I start using anything with alcohol on it. The varnish is usually tough enough to withstand casual abuse from even 99% rubbing alcohol. I can rub it a bit and play around with the pigments after they dried if I want to lighten up some areas, but if I scrub it too much or too hard it will rub off the varnish and start to remove the paint below.

loving hottttt. A shame he didn't pick out the details/gems, I bet it would look amazing. Any idea what color he used there? I know I've gotten a nice metallic red from my airbrush paints with a silver undercoat, but nothing quite like those.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

The Saddest Robot posted:

I put down a coat of gloss varnish before I start using anything with alcohol on it. The varnish is usually tough enough to withstand casual abuse from even 99% rubbing alcohol. I can rub it a bit and play around with the pigments after they dried if I want to lighten up some areas, but if I scrub it too much or too hard it will rub off the varnish and start to remove the paint below.

loving hottttt. A shame he didn't pick out the details/gems, I bet it would look amazing. Any idea what color he used there? I know I've gotten a nice metallic red from my airbrush paints with a silver undercoat, but nothing quite like those.

Just a guess but I'd say it was something like this

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=TESR2505

FiendishThingy
Sep 7, 2003

It really looks like Tamiya clear red airbrushed over a metallic base coat. I've seen it used a lot on Gundam models.

Honey Badger
Jan 5, 2012

No, shit is actually extruding out of your mouth, and your'e a pathetic dick, shut the fuck up.
Looking to pick up some plasticard to beef up my marines a bit (not quite "true-scale", just less hunched looking), does anyone have a recommendation for where to buy the stuff at?

Also, how hard is to actually shim plasticard spacers to fit? I've seen a lot of tutorials where people just add a 1mm spacer in the middle of the legs / greaves / foot, and having never worked with plasticard before I'm wondering how hard that is. Is it going to be hours of me cursing and trying to file them down properly, or is it a pretty simple job?

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
It could also be Krylon Xmetals. I've used it to speedpaint Cygnar before and it looked pretty much just like that.

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011
Oxford Comma: Hey guys I want a cool big dog to show off! I want it to be ~special~ like Thor but more couch potato-like because I got babbies in the house!
Everybody: GET A LAB.
Oxford Comma: OK! (gets a a pit/catahoula mix)
I need some help with my airbrush.

I have an Iwata Revolution, and its not spraying paint. :(

When I hook it up to the air compressor, I can get air to come out of it. But no paint. I thought maybe it had gotten clogged since I last used it, so I took it to my kitchen, and disassembled it. I rinsed everything out. With the little point rod out of it, water flowed just fine from the paint pot out to the tip.

So I began to reassemble it. When I screwed in the tip with the wrench (which would be piece #3 on this image), water would no longer run thru the airbrush. I poked the rod through the tip to see if it was clogged, but no luck.

So what's wrong with my airbrush? What idiotic thing am I doing wrong?

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Seaweed!? Get the fuck out!

Oxford Comma posted:

I need some help with my airbrush.

I have an Iwata Revolution, and its not spraying paint. :(

When I hook it up to the air compressor, I can get air to come out of it. But no paint. I thought maybe it had gotten clogged since I last used it, so I took it to my kitchen, and disassembled it. I rinsed everything out. With the little point rod out of it, water flowed just fine from the paint pot out to the tip.

So I began to reassemble it. When I screwed in the tip with the wrench (which would be piece #3 on this image), water would no longer run thru the airbrush. I poked the rod through the tip to see if it was clogged, but no luck.

So what's wrong with my airbrush? What idiotic thing am I doing wrong?

The needle may be pushed too far forward. Try easing it back some then repeating the process.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

FiendishThingy posted:

It really looks like Tamiya clear red airbrushed over a metallic base coat. I've seen it used a lot on Gundam models.

its that. Its a pretty widely duplicated technique for painting Sazabi (gundams.)

You gotta use lacquers to do it usually. I have never seen it done with acrylics

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011
Oxford Comma: Hey guys I want a cool big dog to show off! I want it to be ~special~ like Thor but more couch potato-like because I got babbies in the house!
Everybody: GET A LAB.
Oxford Comma: OK! (gets a a pit/catahoula mix)

Sole.Sushi posted:

The needle may be pushed too far forward. Try easing it back some then repeating the process.

That was it. Thanks!

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Fauxtool posted:

its that. Its a pretty widely duplicated technique for painting Sazabi (gundams.)

You gotta use lacquers to do it usually. I have never seen it done with acrylics

The Forgeworld Great Brass Scorpion was painted this way with acrylics, using layers of varnish to finish it off.

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....

berzerkmonkey posted:

Umm, ok... How come almost all of them look better than the winner? :colbert:

Nobody there knew how to photograph miniatures excellently. The winner was very much the grimdark shades of brown, realistic rubble school (still the popular style to win awards with) and there are a lot of things to like about the winner. Wonderful detail in places (the flies on its right shoulder and on the lamp), good weathering and a nice 'realistic' version of the tau that actually have to deal with dirty poo poo.

Not that you can't just go to the frontpage of cmon to better stuff though:

Honey Badger
Jan 5, 2012

Anyone know how to get the metallic effect of that D3 Barbarian's shoudlerpad there? I really want to get that dingy metal look but I can't figure out how to keep it from looking flat and shiny, even with washes. Is it just a hell of a lot of different washes combined together or something?

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
There probably aren't any metals used, or if there are, they're only on the edge highlights.

BuffaloChicken
May 18, 2008
Lots of new Catachan! Still not happy with my lighting and macro photography, but least it lets me see all the little details I need to eventually fix...

My goal was was to expand my current Catachan army using allies from the Grey Knights Codex, chosen for modeling opportunities rather than strategy. First up the five Crusaders with power weapons and storm shields. Yes, I noticed the Chaos guy's floating wonky eye! He's not tainted by the ruinous powers! Each model corresponds with one of my armies, my brother's armies, or one of our friend's armies.

Here's Coteaz, who runs with the Crusaders:

The whole squad together:

Eight boltgun henchmen, one with a flamer as well:

The construction Sentinel 'Dreadnought':

Vindicare Sniper:

All 500 points of allies. Clearly not chosen for a tactical advantage!

Here's the entire army as it stands with allies:

BuffaloChicken fucked around with this message at 10:54 on Sep 15, 2012

Asphyxious
Jun 25, 2012

I'm trying to explain that I'm a person who wishes to live a very quiet life.
Does that shield have a Creeper face? I love these. That sentinel is especially sexy.

CyberLord XP
Oct 18, 2005

Goldie...She says her name is Goldie
Gloss varnish on NMM parts of a model, y/n?

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

CyberLord XP posted:

Gloss varnish on NMM parts of a model, y/n?
Satin/half-gloss. You don't want the extra glares from full gloss.

Mephiston
Mar 10, 2006

I'd say no, unless you were going for a wet/slick or unpainted metal finish (which most painted metals do not have).

Maybe satin varnish instead of full gloss otherwise.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

BuffaloChicken posted:

Here's Coteaz, who runs with the Crusaders:

Never, ever stop.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
Just want to post for the record that if/when I re-start Eldar I want to use that candy-apple red car paint idea.

And that buffalochicken's army is an inspiration to a kitbasher like myself. :unsmith:

Soulfucker
Feb 15, 2012

i,m going to kill myself on friday #wow #whoa
Fun Shoe
Buffalochicken, your theme with the Crusaders is so good I just have to share the idea with my friends.

In short,

SRM posted:

Never, ever stop.

Twistershift
Feb 7, 2007

Honey Badger posted:

Looking to pick up some plasticard to beef up my marines a bit (not quite "true-scale", just less hunched looking), does anyone have a recommendation for where to buy the stuff at?

Also, how hard is to actually shim plasticard spacers to fit? I've seen a lot of tutorials where people just add a 1mm spacer in the middle of the legs / greaves / foot, and having never worked with plasticard before I'm wondering how hard that is. Is it going to be hours of me cursing and trying to file them down properly, or is it a pretty simple job?

Check any local Hobby/model shop. Any good one should have some in stock. If not, just order multiple sizes from the net. It's pretty cheap, so you can have plenty to practice with.

Shimming(or even scratch-building) with plasticard should be a snap. It's a much softer, forgiving plastic than most model kits. It's easy to cut and carve on. It should bond to Warhammer kits with styrene cement like the green Tamiya stuff or Tenax, and be very strong once dry.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Twistershift posted:

Check any local Hobby/model shop. Any good one should have some in stock. If not, just order multiple sizes from the net. It's pretty cheap, so you can have plenty to practice with.

For Sale signs are made of the same stuff, too.

Limp Wristed Limey
Sep 7, 2010

by Lowtax
I am no doubt late to complain about this but i cant believe (actually i can believe) GW have put the DV painting guide only on the ipad. I have bought i lot of your crud over the years GW but i am going to have to filez this one.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Limp Wristed Limey posted:

I am no doubt late to complain about this but i cant believe (actually i can believe) GW have put the DV painting guide only on the ipad. I have bought i lot of your crud over the years GW but i am going to have to filez this one.

It sucks since I'm honestly curious how they paint DA now. I like their paint-by-numbers system as a baseline for painting that I can build on from there. I'm sure DA are just the standard Dark Angels Green/next lightest green highlight/green wash or whatever, but I'm curious how they paint their Deathwing. I don't have an iPad so it's not like I'm gonna find that out anytime soon.

Limp Wristed Limey
Sep 7, 2010

by Lowtax
Yeah i am not bothered about the techniques but i want to know what colours they use at the different stages.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

BuffaloChicken, please be my dad.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

SRM posted:

It sucks since I'm honestly curious how they paint DA now. I like their paint-by-numbers system as a baseline for painting that I can build on from there. I'm sure DA are just the standard Dark Angels Green/next lightest green highlight/green wash or whatever, but I'm curious how they paint their Deathwing. I don't have an iPad so it's not like I'm gonna find that out anytime soon.

Ushabti Bone. Wash the recesses Sepia. Clean up with Ushabti, edge highlight with Screaming Skull and do a final highlight with White Scar.

If the How To Paint Citadel book is aimed a newer painters and is full of nice/important techniques, the iPad How to Paint Dark Vengeance is aimed at people who have almost never touched a brush before and/or are a bit retarded and won't care if the details are never explained. The Dark Angels have a pretty amusing tron-ish look to them.

It's honestly bad. If you're curious about some paint schemes I can look them up and summarize them for you, for what it's worth.

e: This is what I mean

Hello thar, lovely :shepface:

Mango Polo fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Sep 15, 2012

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
What's their technique for that green?

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
I honestly don't even remember painting these guys anymore; they show up on my desk and a day or two later they're done.

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord
Woot.com has an air compressor today. Jump on it!

http://home.woot.com/

I've never used an air compressor so I can't vouch for this brand

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo
Does anyone have an experience with wiring LEDs? Mainly the electrical wiring layout on how to hook up a led to a 1.5v watch battery. I also want it to last so does that mean I just add more and more resistors to it?

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Seaweed!? Get the fuck out!
Adding resistors won't do much of anything, really; too many and you end up with a dim bulb and more resistors means more points of failure. Depending on the strength of the battery, you shouldn't have to add more than one. An LED with good wiring will also last for a drat long time (10+ years, very likely more).

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

EVIR Gibson posted:

Does anyone have an experience with wiring LEDs? Mainly the electrical wiring layout on how to hook up a led to a 1.5v watch battery. I also want it to last so does that mean I just add more and more resistors to it?

For a watch battery you should be pretty solid. Add a switch in there unless you want to futz around with taking the battery out all the time.

Dr Hemulen
Jan 25, 2003

The resistors need to match the current drain of the LED if I remember correctly. That means you'll need to know or guess the specs of the LED. Google "LED resistor calculation" or something like that. If you go without you can burn out the LED or empty the battery faster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bavius
Jun 4, 2010

Smurfs don't lay eggs! I won't tell you this again! Papa Smurf has a fucking beard! They're mammals!

Red Robin Hood posted:

Woot.com has an air compressor today. Jump on it!

http://home.woot.com/

I've never used an air compressor so I can't vouch for this brand

The operating PSI is much higher than what you'll need for your airbrush. It could still work but that's a red flag to me.

• Locked thread