Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Where we are going we won't need shirts
Pillbug
Can someone explain to me in layman's terms what cisgender is/who would be identified as such? I tried wikipedia but I didn't really understand it. I never really was confronted with this word and it comes up all the time in the Mock thread.
I'm also not really up to date with the whole LGBT movement so excuse my absence of knowledge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.

Helios Grime posted:

Can someone explain to me in layman's terms what cisgender is/who would be identified as such? I tried wikipedia but I didn't really understand it. I never really was confronted with this word and it comes up all the time in the Mock thread.
I'm also not really up to date with the whole LGBT movement so excuse my absence of knowledge.

Cisgender means that your gender matches your birth/assigned/physical sex. It's sort of like "heterosexual."
Most people are cisgender.

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Where we are going we won't need shirts
Pillbug
Ok, I think I get it. So I, born as a male and into women would be identified as a cisgendered heterosexual and a FTM transsexual that is into women would be a transgendered heterosexual?

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

fuckpot posted:

Is it possible to sync an iphone with a PC but instead of the PCs files syncing to the iphone, can the iphone sync with the PC by uploading the data on the phone to the PC?

Not by default, but there are a ton of programs you can get, including at stores like target and stuff that will allow you to do this.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.

Helios Grime posted:

Ok, I think I get it. So I, born as a male and into women would be identified as a cisgendered heterosexual and a FTM transsexual that is into women would be a transgendered heterosexual?

Yep!
For a lot of people it's more complicated, but that's at least what the words mean.

GreenCard78
Apr 25, 2005

It's all in the game, yo.
A question about Jesus.

It's my understanding, correct if I am wrong, most of what is known about Jesus is around his birth, a story from around age 12 and then his teachings which happened when he was 29-33. These are all rough dates based on the Roman census, taking 4 years to complete. He's born in Nazareth, flees to Egypt, returns at some point (age 12?) and is then suddenly 29 when he's spoken to and subsequently begins his teachings.

What do various sects believe he did? What do secular theologians believe he (historical Jesus) did during this time? What's the deal with India?

I've read some of the various wiki pages regarding this but if anyone more knowledgeable could put it more concisely, I would greatly appreciate it. I have some religious family who put their spin on everything and I'd like a broader scope than that, I'm not Christian myself.

Thanks!

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
According to this book, he fought some dragons and did something with the Kama Sutra, or something like that. May want to take it with a grain of salt, though; I'm not quite sure this is a widely accepted gospel.

GreenCard78
Apr 25, 2005

It's all in the game, yo.
It should be. :mad:

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
I believe Chris Rock's character in the motion picture "Dogma" addressed this issue of Jesus' missing years. I can't find the quote though.

Disclaimer: it may have been addressed unsatisfactorily.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

mappertyst posted:

I recently bought an office chair from Ikea. I have hard laminate floors which I have now learned aren't quite even. Because the rolling casters on the new chair are so smooth and functional, I'm sliding all over the place when I'm trying to sit at my desk and work.

Does anyone have any recommendations other than buying a new set of casters for the chair? Aside from casters being relatively expensive for such a little thing, there is the additional problem of compatibility; I've read that caster stems aren't always uniform, and Ikea chairs in particular won't always accept third-party stems.

I've considered getting a rug, but I'm afraid it will bunch up when I do need to roll around. Anyone have any experience here?

A low pile rug might help, plus save your floors from getting scratched. If that also slides there's some anti-slipping mats that go under the rug*. Also, if you live in an apartment it'll spare your lower neighbor from hearing your chair roll around.

* http://www.homedepot.com/Flooring-A...51#.UFN3XrJlQZk

Flat Eric
Jun 13, 2002
So I am looking to both find the exact/correct form of this quote and identify its author. The quote goes something like this:

quote:

In war, there is no first or second place. The difference between winners and losers is winners live and losers die.

It goes something like that. At least that is the gist of it. I appreciate any help.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

TheHistoryChannel posted:

My question: How do I make a thread show only the OP's post?

Non SALR answer:
code:
[url]http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?action=showpost&postid=xxxxxxxxx[/url]
where xxxxxxxxx = the post id which you can get from the "#" link.

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.

Flat Eric posted:

So I am looking to both find the exact/correct form of this quote and identify its author. The quote goes something like this:

It goes something like that. At least that is the gist of it. I appreciate any help.

"History is written by the victors"?

Often attributed to Winston Churchill but actually just a phrase.

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES

Flat Eric posted:

Is it "In war, whichever side may call itself the victor, there are no winners, but all are losers."
- Neville Chamberlain

e: or maybe "War does not determine who is right - only who is left." ~Bertrand Russell

OlyMike
Sep 17, 2006
I'm talking about flagellation, who gives a damn about parades
How do bus/train station lockers work? Watching movies/tv shows it seems like you can walk in, put some coins or something in, and then indefinitely store something in there. Is this just a plot point that works? Or actually a real thing?

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

You put in money; a small bar that was preventing anyone from removing the key slides out of the way, and you take the key. You put your stuff in and remove the key. Theoretically the stuff will now stay there until you return with the key at some future point. Realistically most bus/transit lockers are cleared on a weekly basis.

Moscow Mule
Dec 21, 2004

Nothing beats the taste sensation when maple syrup collides with ham.

GreenCard78 posted:

What do various sects believe he did? What do secular theologians believe he (historical Jesus) did during this time? What's the deal with India?

Pretty much all orthodox Christians (Catholic, Orthodox, Evangelical, Protestant) have nothing dogmatic to say on the matter. I can't speak too much to Gnostics or smaller groups that are heretical to orthodox Christianity though.

There's an Infancy Gospel of Thomas which you've probably come across (http://www.earlychristianwritings.com/infancythomas.html , http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infancy_Gospel_of_Thomas ) which isn't canonical. We're not sure how much stock early Christians put in an account like this (little kid Jesus is kind of a dick). But it didn't make it into the Bible and probably it wasn't viewed as authoritative.

As an aside, there's this song which we sing during Lent sometimes: http://youtu.be/agNMQ3FtwBk I always thought it was interesting. I don't know if it's related to any actual legend or not.

Tad Naff
Jul 8, 2004

I told you you'd be sorry buying an emoticon, but no, you were hung over. Well look at you now. It's not catching on at all!
:backtowork:

Moscow Mule posted:

Pretty much all orthodox Christians (Catholic, Orthodox, Evangelical, Protestant) have nothing dogmatic to say on the matter. I can't speak too much to Gnostics or smaller groups that are heretical to orthodox Christianity though.

There's an Infancy Gospel of Thomas which you've probably come across (http://www.earlychristianwritings.com/infancythomas.html , http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infancy_Gospel_of_Thomas ) which isn't canonical. We're not sure how much stock early Christians put in an account like this (little kid Jesus is kind of a dick). But it didn't make it into the Bible and probably it wasn't viewed as authoritative.

As an aside, there's this song which we sing during Lent sometimes: http://youtu.be/agNMQ3FtwBk I always thought it was interesting. I don't know if it's related to any actual legend or not.

I faintly recall a wacky film I saw as a child that claimed he went to North America to spread his teachings to the people there at the time. Not saying that anyone actually believes this, but that's another voice heard from I guess.

Edit: OK, so some people do believe this. I guess since it made into a movie, that shouldn't have been in dispute. Wacky nonetheless.

Tad Naff fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Sep 15, 2012

Schizophrenic Orb
Nov 16, 2009

Intriguing...

GreenCard78 posted:

A question about Jesus.

It's my understanding, correct if I am wrong, most of what is known about Jesus is around his birth, a story from around age 12 and then his teachings which happened when he was 29-33. These are all rough dates based on the Roman census, taking 4 years to complete. He's born in Nazareth, flees to Egypt, returns at some point (age 12?) and is then suddenly 29 when he's spoken to and subsequently begins his teachings.

I've read some of the various wiki pages regarding this but if anyone more knowledgeable could put it more concisely, I would greatly appreciate it. I have some religious family who put their spin on everything and I'd like a broader scope than that, I'm not Christian myself.

Thanks!

Most Christians I know believe all he did from 12 to 29 was be a carpenter. Scripture reflects this, in that he's referred to as a carpenter, Joseph was a carpenter and it was tradition for people to take on the profession of their father, and everyone from his hometown thought it was really weird when all of a sudden he's going around teaching people about God. Jesus turning water into wine at the wedding is seen as the first miracle performed by him, and the beginning of his ministry.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

FeloniousDrunk posted:

I faintly recall a wacky film I saw as a child that claimed he went to North America to spread his teachings to the people there at the time. Not saying that anyone actually believes this, but that's another voice heard from I guess.

I think that's more or less what the Mormon church believes.

e: Actually I think they believe he came to the Americas after the crucifixion come to think.

Moscow Mule
Dec 21, 2004

Nothing beats the taste sensation when maple syrup collides with ham.

FeloniousDrunk posted:

You should've seen what Elohim was up to before that. http://youtu.be/RD7vKmglHMc

FightingMongoose
Oct 19, 2006
I need to pay someone on eBay using paypal. I bought several things of them and they had the option to select "other" as the payment option so they could group my purchases together at the end and save on postage. But now I can't see how to actually pay them. Is there a button somewhere I'm missing?

I've contacted the seller obviously, but I'd like to speed things along.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

I'm getting ready to do a hard drive swap in my PS3. I only have an 8G USB drive for backup, so doing an entire drive copy of the old drive isn't an option. I'm not concerned with backing movies or music - only game and related stuff. I went through and backed up all of the stuff using the "Saved Data Utility" in the games part of the menu. Is there other stuff I should be saving as well?

edit: I also downloaded and saved the newest firmware.

Skunkduster fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Sep 15, 2012

Liebfraumilch
Aug 17, 2008
No luck on my earlier question about OneNote password recovery programs/applications floating around on the web? I have no idea what is on that one page I cannot remember the password to, and it is probably drivel, but like a cat I cannot stand a closed door.

--

New question: My Turkish-born fiancé has a scar on his upper left arm that is likely from vaccination. He couldn't articulate what the vaccination was for, and he doesn't seem old enough for smallpox vaccinations so the curiosity is (again) killing me. What were Turkish kids being immunized against regularly in the 1980s? Alternately, is he a time-traveler or a vampire?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Liebfraumilch posted:

New question: My Turkish-born fiancé has a scar on his upper left arm that is likely from vaccination. He couldn't articulate what the vaccination was for, and he doesn't seem old enough for smallpox vaccinations so the curiosity is (again) killing me. What were Turkish kids being immunized against regularly in the 1980s? Alternately, is he a time-traveler or a vampire?

Could be polio. My mom has a round scar on her arm from that, and even though modern polio vaccines don't scar, they might not have had that variety in Turkey when he got it.

ClearAirTurbulence
Apr 20, 2010
The earth has music for those who listen.
The recently gassed "Things that used to titillate you as a kid" reminded me of a really odd childhood memory that I've been trying to find more info about but have been failing. There was a gold seal printed on some kitchen product I liked to look at as a kid, it had (as I recall) an angel or other winged person holding a torch or scepter who was on top of a topless woman. It wasn't very detailed, and looked Greek or Roman, like a representation of something from Classical literature. For years, I assumed it was the gold seal on the Campbell's soup can that gave me a funny feeling as a kid, but I verified that the seal I remember was never on Campbell's soup - so what was it? This would have been in the late 1970s.

Torka
Jan 5, 2008

A mole on my upper arm that I've had my whole life has suddenly grown a long black hair after being hairless for decades. Does this have any medical implications? I know that a new mole appearing or an old mole suddenly getting bigger or changing shape is cause for concern, but I can't recall reading anything related to hair growth.

TheGame
Jul 4, 2005

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Torka posted:

A mole on my upper arm that I've had my whole life has suddenly grown a long black hair after being hairless for decades. Does this have any medical implications? I know that a new mole appearing or an old mole suddenly getting bigger or changing shape is cause for concern, but I can't recall reading anything related to hair growth.

I'm recalling from an old anatomy class here, but I believe that malignant growth will actually kill hair follicles. Hair growth is not a sign of anything bad as far as I know. If it starts to change shape, size or coloring, that's when you worry.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Flat Eric posted:

Might be way off, but here's a George S. Patton quote:

“The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other guy die for his.”

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.

Torka posted:

Nope. You're fine.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.
How do you pronounce "Nguyen"?

What's the proper spelling, "Piroshki" or "Piroshky."

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Lance Streetman posted:

New-win. Don't know tin the second one.

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

Lance Streetman posted:

"пирожки" is the correct spelling. :smugdog:

All of the Russian bakeries around here spell it "piroshky". However, it's not an English word, it's a latinization of a Russian word, so it doesn't really have a proper spelling. You should see what some of the Greeks do to the word "Gyro". (My favorite are the "Yeero's" at Mr. D's Greek Delicacies.)

Neuntausend
Sep 11, 2012

Wir werden alle sterben.
Is "rad" a word people use in a positive sense? I always kinda have the feeling, that people are being somewhat ironic, when they say something or someone is "rad".

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.

Neuntausend posted:

Is "rad" a word people use in a positive sense? I always kinda have the feeling, that people are being somewhat ironic, when they say something or someone is "rad".

I've always used it in an un-ironic fashion. Then again, I own a shell choker and frequently wear 90's clothing, so you'd be best off getting a second opinion.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Lance Streetman posted:

I've always used it in an un-ironic fashion. Then again, I own a shell choker and frequently wear 90's clothing, so you'd be best off getting a second opinion.

'rad' was short for 'radical' and it meant 'cool' at the time that BMX bikes first became popular.

Then again, the way things change, it is now probably short for 'radiator' or something.

gently caress, I'm old.

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I still bust out a every so often. I mean, are the kids still using it? No. But it still gets the point across.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012

Lance Streetman posted:

I think I read a while back that it's generally meant to be pronounced "wen".

Which was all kinds of confusing.

Neuntausend
Sep 11, 2012

Wir werden alle sterben.

VagueRant posted:

I think I read a while back that it's generally meant to be pronounced "wen".

Which was all kinds of confusing.

Vietnamese-english transliteration is all kinds of confusing. "Wen" is pretty close to how you pronounce it, I believe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheGame
Jul 4, 2005

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
There are multiple ways of saying it. I've always heard 'noyen.'