Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MyFaceBeHi
Apr 9, 2008

I was popular, once.
For some reason the $10k pledge limit has now been set at 2.

I guess having 10 abominations would be too much. Pity, was looking forward to all that multicoloured blood being spilled in the second panel!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

MyFaceBeHi posted:

For some reason the $10k pledge limit has now been set at 2.

I guess having 10 abominations would be too much. Pity, was looking forward to all that multicoloured blood being spilled in the second panel!

After all those pledges coming and going, I'm betting you have to contact them now and confirming that you're actually going to pay $10,000 and they'll bump the limit up 1. Or something.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Yeah, I imagine Hussie cottoned to people using the 10k pledge to incite :supaburn: in the fandom or get fancy sprites for themselves and decided to put a stop to it.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

VJeff posted:

Yeah, I imagine Hussie cottoned to people using the 10k pledge to incite :supaburn: in the fandom or get fancy sprites for themselves and decided to put a stop to it.

Yeah, this. Still, glad he'll be following through on the other two. I'd heard a prospective name for the second, athletic-looking troll is "Sports Madden".

Midnight Raider
Apr 26, 2010

Dolash posted:

Yeah, this. Still, glad he'll be following through on the other two. I'd heard a prospective name for the second, athletic-looking troll is "Sports Madden".

I think even the most stringent fantroll hater might have their heart of stone soften a little at a name like that.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

You could game the system with a fantroll whose psychic ability is to see everything as celestial soul portraits.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled
And there was an update.

Oh yes, keep it up Davesprite. Still wonder how he found out about the Dad notes.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The fact that John had awful facial hair all along, and it was just too wispy to be seen, makes these updates retroactively better.

KoB
May 1, 2009
Couldnt Jade just make the ship bigger and it would travel through this space faster?

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

STRIIIDERRRRRR!! :argh:

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

I vaguely recall people complaining about how John was facing all these emotional issues, but not really dealing with them, just derping his way through them. I admit, I kind of felt the same way, like he wasn't really reacting to anything the way he should.

Well now he's stuck in a situation that would plausibly drive him to become an rear end in a top hat. And he's acting like an rear end in a top hat.

I miss it when he just derped through things.

Also, STRIIDEERRR :argh: is kind of an rear end for impersonating John's dead dad. But he's also hilarious, so I don't mind.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

John posted:

idiot cat princess

He's right there John you dick :mad: You gonna insult the imps, too?

Pessimism
Aug 2, 2005

You can find this and other great titles at your local library

Eiba posted:

Also, STRIIDEERRR :argh: is kind of an rear end for impersonating John's dead dad. But he's also hilarious, so I don't mind.

He's not impersonating John's dad, he is John's dad. I'm pretty sure Radiation wrote a song about this.

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!

Eiba posted:

I vaguely recall people complaining about how John was facing all these emotional issues, but not really dealing with them, just derping his way through them. I admit, I kind of felt the same way, like he wasn't really reacting to anything the way he should.

Well now he's stuck in a situation that would plausibly drive him to become an rear end in a top hat. And he's acting like an rear end in a top hat.

I miss it when he just derped through things.

I think the thing here is that it seems to take a while for things to sink in for him - most of the story, from our perspective, was spent having another thing and another and another come along to distract him every couple minutes. Now he's been sitting around for two years with little to do and barely anyone relatable to talk to and another year of this boring bullshit coming up - as far as he knows - so he's had more than enough time to get cranky about it.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

John, you'll recall, has a history of lashing out when people try to convince him of things that he doesn't want to believe. What he's really angry at is himself, which is of course something of a recurring theme.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

That ghostbutt is glorious.

Also I finally finished my gif I think:

Now I need to pick a line for the title.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
No John, don't rely on magic! Science may be hard and boring, but magic is fake as poo poo!

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
It's pretty interesting that John has hit "grumpy awkward teenager" levels at literally the worst possible time. He's stuck with the same people day in day out on a really big ship, and the novelty of it all has worn off fast. Also whilst I dislike Dave in general, John's... spritism(?) is a little unnerving. Dismissing his friend as just a game construct is pretty harsh when Davesprite has enough problems not being the real Dave. He's gonna piss everyone off and get cabin fever at some point, I just know it. They'll blast him out of an airlock or something.

Trigger warning: Spritism :kankri:

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

The Deleter posted:

It's pretty interesting that John has hit "grumpy awkward teenager" levels at literally the worst possible time. He's stuck with the same people day in day out on a really big ship, and the novelty of it all has worn off fast. Also whilst I dislike Dave in general, John's... spritism(?) is a little unnerving. Dismissing his friend as just a game construct is pretty harsh when Davesprite has enough problems not being the real Dave. He's gonna piss everyone off and get cabin fever at some point, I just know it. They'll blast him out of an airlock or something.

Trigger warning: Spritism :kankri:

On the other hand, that's actually a fairly legitimate concern. Remember, out of all the Troll's lusii/sprites, all of them disappeared/died except Aradia. We legitimately don't know what's supposed to happen there. It's entirely possible that the only reason Aradia didn't disappear/die is because she was a player in addition to being a sprite, which doesn't actually apply to Davesprite.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

King of Solomon posted:

On the other hand, that's actually a fairly legitimate concern. Remember, out of all the Troll's lusii/sprites, all of them disappeared/died except Aradia. We legitimately don't know what's supposed to happen there. It's entirely possible that the only reason Aradia didn't disappear/die is because she was a player in addition to being a sprite, which doesn't actually apply to Davesprite.

It occurs to me that perhaps Aradia's "spriteness" left her at the same time, and she reverted to being a regular type ghost (inhabiting a robot). How does being a ghost even work? Who knows?

edit: wait, did she still ribbit after the lusussprites disappeared? Do we have any examples of that?

So perhaps Davesprite won't disappear, but will revert to being just another (doomed, beta-timeline) Dave.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

for that matter, if Jade is part sprite, what will happen to her when poo poo goes down?

Dick Bitchwhistle
Oct 28, 2007

by Lowtax
I think Aradia stopped ribbiting as soon as she entered her robot, so the sprite part of her probably left at that time. However, Jade still says woof so her spriteness may not be gone just yet.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Nope, Aradia was ribbiting right up until she exploded.

Pastrymancy
Feb 20, 2011

11:13: Despite Gio Gonzalez warning, "Never mix your sparkling juices," Bryce Harper opens another bottle of sparkling grape and mixes it with sparkling cider.

1:07: Harper walks to the 7-11 and orders an all-syrup Slurpee.

1:10-3:05: Harper has no recollection of this time. Aliens?
Aradia's dreamself was untouched though. Jade's was a sprite. Therefore Jade still has spritely characteristics.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

This note by Davesprite seems kind of malicious. The shaving stuff and Matthew Mccoughnoughanhey bit, that's all harmless, but mocking the notes John's dad used to leave for him? Normally this would be the sort of thing people would think would be a big deal but then John derps it off like no big deal, but in his current agitated state I wouldn't be surprised if he stormed over to Davesprite to give him a stern talking-to. Then again this might also be a good point to start zooming out and moving on to the next scene, but it'd be exciting if the whole cabin fever situation were to start blowing up right now.

Also lots of interesting little pieces of information in the last few updates - they can't do their quests because their denizens are asleep? Personal quests appear to be bound to personal development and John and Jade appear to be at the low point of their arcs on that measure, so that makes sense. The chess people are inscrutable and the consorts are idiots? Well we kind of knew that, but at least we've learned John and Jade haven't made much progress with them.

John himself is pretty pitiable right now. Jade and Davesprite's relationship seems to have made him uncomfortable, he sounds lonely and frustrated. I'm really pleased we're getting so much out of him since his character development has been at such a slow burn since we met him. Bongo Bill's post in particular is right on the money about that story-wide theme of getting angry at yourself coming up again here.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I think it's interesting that John is bringing up their quests. I'm hoping that they're not just brushed off, that we do see Rose for example "playing the rain" and all that junk.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
All of this is just enforcing my view that John is going to royally spaz out when he finds out Vriska's dead.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

King of Solomon posted:

True, but I doubt bringing that up to Davesprite would help his mental state any. Knowing you might not be a real "person" and that you might vanish when the game finishes is gonna be depressing. No wonder he lashes out at John in the note.

John probably dislikes Davesprite for stupid/silly reasons, or reasons he can't articulate, but it's still kind of mean to remind your best friend, however deliberatley or overtly, that they're not human anymore.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

WAR FOOT posted:

All of this is just enforcing my view that John is going to royally spaz out when he finds out Vriska's dead.

I'm betting that Vriska is going to break out of the afterlife somehow either before or just after this happens.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
Or maybe John won't really care that much when the alien chick he talked to over the course of, what, a few days? turns out to be dead after having spent three years on a spaceship.

Midnight Raider
Apr 26, 2010

Technique posted:

Or maybe John won't really care that much when the alien chick he talked to over the course of, what, a few days? turns out to be dead after having spent three years on a spaceship.

Technically one day, which he himself lampshaded on his last birthday.

Still, sometimes kids actually don't really forget about that weird/interesting person they interacted with in a pseudo-romantic way for only a day. Youthful memories can be funny like that sometimes. So it's hard to say which way things might go for certain, although I doubt he'll "royally spaz out".

That said, the comic option in any case is for Vriska to return to the story before John even finds out she died, assuming Hussie would actually do that instead of just occasionally teasing us about the possibility as he has.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

Midnight Raider posted:

Still, sometimes kids actually don't really forget about that weird/interesting person they interacted with in a pseudo-romantic way for only a day. Youthful memories can be funny like that sometimes. So it's hard to say which way things might go for certain, although I doubt he'll "royally spaz out".

One the very first things John asked Meenah* was about Vriska. Then Karkat. Not Karkat first, Vriska. I'm pretty sure he remembers and misses her, he just doesn't want to admit it.

*that reminds me, I don't think he ever figured out/was told about the ancestor trolls...or that Feferi was who he heard about

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

John was definitely deep in denial last year about how much he missed everyone. Learning of Vriska's fate might well be the thing that pushes him to do something rash.

Saradiart
Dec 13, 2009

OPENING MY TAI CHI IS ABOUT AS APPEALING AS THE GOATMAN OPENING HIS ANUS

King of Solomon posted:

I believe the lusii were fated to die since they acted as their guardians/parents, and the game kills all the guardians/parents as a mechanism for the players to grow up.

I think they mentioned this somewhere in Alterniabound.

Eggie
Aug 15, 2010

Something ironic, I'm certain
Oh god, John is going to snap and turn into Eridan 2.0. :ohdear:

Desfore
Jun 8, 2011

Confirmed at least one furry on the Smash team

Eggie posted:

Eh, I'd bet he'd go crazy like Gamzee.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

Eggie posted:

Brutally murdering consorts whilst screaming about ghost butts and Nic Cage.

Someone on tumblr has already written this I'll bet you :argh:

snucks
Nov 3, 2008

Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

The Deleter posted:

Someone on tumblr has already written this I'll bet you :argh:
nah, in that one he snaps because of all the force-feeding.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Vriska coming back to life or escaping the afterlife or whatever before John has a chance to learn that she's dead (and, further, that everyone but him knew but nobody told him) would be a huge waste of a dramatic setup. War Foot's right that John revealing how much he misses his friends and how it's affected him only makes this seem more likely.

While it's true that someone you knew for a day three years ago normally doesn't mean the world to you, these aren't normal circumstances, and those three years were spent in relative isolation while being a growing teenager and fixating on the point in the future when you'll finally be free of your isolation. The events of that day probably loom gigantic in John's mind and he has nothing to do but stew on them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp
Or maybe you're thinking about all this stuff completely opposite (as is par for the course for Vriskachat here), and the question shouldn't be how would John react to anything Vriska does or knowledge of her death or whatever, but how would Vriska react to John not remembering her or caring (as John would be apt to do, and Hussie would be apt to write), after Vriska turned him into her only path to some semblance of normality?