Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Silent Movie
Jul 23, 2007
I locked my rear wheel when I braked over a slippery patch of tar in order to negotiate a truck who slammed on his brakes. Instead of easing off the brake I held it and the bike lowsided in a straight line. Minor cosmetic damage, the worst being a dangling rear blinker, along with a bent foot peg and scraped-up crash bars (paid for themselves). I was able to pick the bike up ('86 CMX450C :cry:) and safely made it home. A bit banged up myself: landed on my hip, but my armored mesh jacket saved my arm; helmet my head.

I wasn't speeding and had plenty of room ahead of me, in retrospect I should have remembered to release the brake in a rear wheel skid, and should have eaten some dinner after a long day at work.

edit with pics:

Real minimal damage, just pissed because parts for this bike aren't easy to come by. Wear gear, the armor saved the hell out of my arm.

Silent Movie fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Sep 13, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

Silent Movie posted:

I wasn't speeding and had plenty of room ahead of me, in retrospect I should have remembered to release the brake in a rear wheel skid, and should have eaten some dinner after a long day at work.

Glad to hear that you are OK. I thought that the correct move when the rear brake locks is to hold it and deal with the skid because freeing the rear wheel can throw you into a high-side should the front wheel not be lined up with the relocated rear.

So it sounds like you did the right thing, despite the drop.

BlackLaser
Dec 2, 2005

Silent Movie posted:

Real minimal damage, just pissed because parts for this bike aren't easy to come by. Wear gear, the armor saved the hell out of my arm.

Glad you are ok. That rear tire looks ancient. It may just be the picture though. Not sure if better rear grip would have helped in this situation.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
In a rear wheel skid keep the back tire locked so you don't highside. Also try to stay as straight up as possible.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

Skreemer posted:

In a rear wheel skid keep the back tire locked so you don't highside. Also try to stay as straight up as possible.

This. Never let the back brake go if you've locked it up, especially if you've leaned at all. Ditto for chopping the throttle if you manage to spin up the rear. Both will cause the rear to grab traction quickly and the bike will "trip" on the rear tire, throwing you off. And if you're really lucky, throwing the bike right on top of you.

Holding on to the rear was the right move. IME it shouldn't have taken the bike out from under you, though. Was there something on the pavement, or did you happen to also lock up the front?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Not always. If you're braking heavily in a straight line and your rear is just starting to slide, there's nothing at all wrong letting off of the rear brake. The MSF teaches you to slide to a stop because that's safer on average across all cases. If you have the judgement to tell when to slide to a stop and when you can safely not do so, use it.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

Safety Dance posted:

Not always. If you're braking heavily in a straight line and your rear is just starting to slide, there's nothing at all wrong letting off of the rear brake. The MSF teaches you to slide to a stop because that's safer on average across all cases. If you have the judgement to tell when to slide to a stop and when you can safely not do so, use it.

edit: flat-out removing my response, was being unintentionally preachy. You're right.

HandlingByJebus fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Sep 14, 2012

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Sometimes i lock it on the 250 for fun and I've only highsided every time I did it...

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

EU riding lessons insist that you release the rear brake as fast as possible, should you ever lock the rear wheel.

Given the thoroughness of these lessons compared to MSF, I'm a lot more inclined to trust their method.

Backov
Mar 28, 2010

KozmoNaut posted:

EU riding lessons insist that you release the rear brake as fast as possible, should you ever lock the rear wheel.

Given the thoroughness of these lessons compared to MSF, I'm a lot more inclined to trust their method.

Counterpoint: Mootmoot got a license.

_Dav
Dec 24, 2008
I've avoided replying to avoid ending up in the overheard thread, but yeah I have to chime in and say that I was taught to release the offending brake upon lockup. Attempted logic: You lock up due to lack of grip, so the likelihood of gaining enough grip to chuck you upon allowing the wheel to spin doesn't sound like something that would happen on the road with normal tyres? I don't even know :raise:

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

Backov posted:

Counterpoint: Mootmoot got a license.

Well-played, good sir. :golfclap:

I wonder what the Japanese approach is. They're the most stringent classes out there, yeah?

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

I was taught (mostly by this forum I think) that if you lock up the rear, release and then reapply pressure so it's not locked up.

Silent Movie
Jul 23, 2007

Shimrod posted:

I was taught (mostly by this forum I think) that if you lock up the rear, release and then reapply pressure so it's not locked up.
This is what MSF taught me. I was going in a straight line from what I remember, so had I done so I should have been able to regrip and perhaps use engine braking to slow down (I don't engine brake normally).

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

ABS :science:

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

Silent Movie posted:

This is what MSF taught me. I was going in a straight line from what I remember, so had I done so I should have been able to regrip and perhaps use engine braking to slow down (I don't engine brake normally).

My MSF course said this for the front brake only. When the rear locks, MSF told me to keep the rear brake engaged.

invision
Mar 2, 2009

I DIDN'T GET ENOUGH RAPE LAST TIME, MAY I HAVE SOME MORE?

Tamir Lenk posted:

My MSF course said this for the front brake only. When the rear locks, MSF told me to keep the rear brake engaged.

if you can get it back in something that resembles a straight line then unlock your rear wheel. it might jerk a little if you're out of line, but its better to have control over it than it is to just have the rear end end of your bike sliding around.

Silent Movie
Jul 23, 2007

Tamir Lenk posted:

it's possible I have the two confused, I'll need to look back over my materials.

I was fortunately aligned straight, so I could have disengaged the brake and possibly prevented the lowside.

invision
Mar 2, 2009

I DIDN'T GET ENOUGH RAPE LAST TIME, MAY I HAVE SOME MORE?
Also something to note is that the MSF teaches things for the lowest common denominator. I.E they'll teach stuff that's "good advice" if you have never ridden a motorcycle before. When you're able to handle more, and I hate to call them this, "advanced" things, you'll be like "oh well that was kind of retarded" when you think about some MSF things.

ArbitraryTA
May 3, 2011
I have a Dumb Newbie crash I could throw up.

So, I was riding a scooter around (in my defense I had no other options) and wasn't used to the generally bad turn radius and smaller wheel of a 150cc Fiaggio or whatever the hell it was scooter.

So I am going down a hill going, oh, 25-30 mph and try to make a turn at an intersection at about that speed. I ended up whipping into the opposing turning lane and almost smacking into a compact car, which made me panic and slam the brakes mid turn, locking the forward wheel and lowsiding me onto the pavement.

It's worth mentioning that I was wearing shorts and a t-shirt because I am a stupid individual who does stupid things.

On the plus side, it was a learning experience. It has done wonders to taper my overconfidence and since then I've become much safer when riding two wheels.

As an aside: The amazing part of it all was that the scooter suffered no structural damage what so ever aside from a few scuffs on the paint. Still got a scar on my arm from where I hit pavement though. I'm glad I at least thought to wear a helmet. (Safety first, right?)

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

ArbitraryTA posted:

I have a Dumb Newbie crash I could throw up.

So, I was riding a scooter around (in my defense I had no other options) and wasn't used to the generally bad turn radius and smaller wheel of a 150cc Fiaggio or whatever the hell it was scooter.

So I am going down a hill going, oh, 25-30 mph and try to make a turn at an intersection at about that speed. I ended up whipping into the opposing turning lane and almost smacking into a compact car, which made me panic and slam the brakes mid turn, locking the forward wheel and lowsiding me onto the pavement.

It's worth mentioning that I was wearing shorts and a t-shirt because I am a stupid individual who does stupid things.

On the plus side, it was a learning experience. It has done wonders to taper my overconfidence and since then I've become much safer when riding two wheels.

As an aside: The amazing part of it all was that the scooter suffered no structural damage what so ever aside from a few scuffs on the paint. Still got a scar on my arm from where I hit pavement though. I'm glad I at least thought to wear a helmet. (Safety first, right?)

You don't have to apologize about riding a scooter. Hopefully, you've learned your lesson about gear! Glad to hear that you're mostly ok!

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Do you want a hupyrolysege slcorpselong?
Honestly I wish more adults would start out riding scooters just so they get the hang of things with 2 wheels and an engine before moving up to motorcycles, as contemporary "beginner bikes" have double the displacement that they used to have. Although, seeing grown men learning on pit bikes is a more entertaining mental image.

Backov
Mar 28, 2010

M4rg4r1ne posted:

Honestly I wish more adults would start out riding scooters just so they get the hang of things with 2 wheels and an engine before moving up to motorcycles, as contemporary "beginner bikes" have double the displacement that they used to have. Although, seeing grown men learning on pit bikes is a more entertaining mental image.

Too many people riding scooters ride them like they are bicycles. If that's how they get the hang of it, they should just skip that.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

ArbitraryTA posted:

Bad turn radius? On a scooter? What?

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

Bad turn radius? On a scooter? What?

Maybe he's used to something with more lean angle? That's all I can come up with.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Silent Movie posted:

I locked my rear wheel when I braked over a slippery patch of tar in order to negotiate a truck who slammed on his brakes. Instead of easing off the brake I held it and the bike lowsided in a straight line. Minor cosmetic damage, the worst being a dangling rear blinker, along with a bent foot peg and scraped-up crash bars (paid for themselves). I was able to pick the bike up ('86 CMX450C :cry:) and safely made it home. A bit banged up myself: landed on my hip, but my armored mesh jacket saved my arm; helmet my head.

edit with pics:

those look a lot like the blinkers off my 88 vt800. I can we if I still have them if you want. No promises.

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Do you want a hupyrolysege slcorpselong?

Backov posted:

Too many people riding scooters ride them like they are bicycles. If that's how they get the hang of it, they should just skip that.
Shirtless and in flip flops?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pcws_iFudHg

Backov
Mar 28, 2010

Oh god that's a real thing.

But no - I mean mostly riding on the side of the road, timidly.

ArbitraryTA
May 3, 2011

Boat posted:

Maybe he's used to something with more lean angle? That's all I can come up with.

Maybe it was just what I was using. I found out later that the entire chassis was out of alignment in one way or another because it has been dropped multiple times.

It was not a fun thing to ride on in general. Last time I rode on it was when its owner failed to inform me that the front brakes were out until I had to use them. Luckily there was no car in front of me.

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

ArbitraryTA posted:

Maybe it was just what I was using. I found out later that the entire chassis was out of alignment in one way or another because it has been dropped multiple times.

It was not a fun thing to ride on in general. Last time I rode on it was when its owner failed to inform me that the front brakes were out until I had to use them. Luckily there was no car in front of me.

I'm not gonna pretend I do TCLOCKS or whatever the pre-ride inspection is called every time I ride my bike but a quick check of the more important working parts may have been in order there, seeing as you already knew it was an unreliable piece.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Splizwarf posted:

Well-played, good sir. :golfclap:

I wonder what the Japanese approach is. They're the most stringent classes out there, yeah?

It didn't come up for me (I had previous experience so elected not to do the $2000+ Japanese motorcycle school), but next time I'm at a school or talking to a bike cop I'll ask. May be quite a while though, got my license sorted last month.

Silent Movie
Jul 23, 2007

Errant Gin Monks posted:

those look a lot like the blinkers off my 88 vt800. I can we if I still have them if you want. No promises.
well I appreciate you looking into it. I've been busy chillin healing, so the bike has sat since. The real damage to the rear blinker seems to be the rubber housing which was burned away. Otherwise the plastic chrome is all scratched to hell but the blinker still works fine. It still seems like the whole rear blinker assembly will need to be rewired to get a new rubber housing on.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Silent Movie posted:

well I appreciate you looking into it. I've been busy chillin healing, so the bike has sat since. The real damage to the rear blinker seems to be the rubber housing which was burned away. Otherwise the plastic chrome is all scratched to hell but the blinker still works fine. It still seems like the whole rear blinker assembly will need to be rewired to get a new rubber housing on.

Looks like mine are round, not that rectangle shape, sorry. But I did find new stems on ebay for 10 bucks.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/REAR-Turn-S...=item3cc9c6d6d2

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
Fell over on the 690 yesterday. Pulled up to the back of some traffic, went to put my left foot down, trousers snagged on the (nice and pointy) foot peg and I couldn't unhook myself and get my foot down quick enough to stop myself falling slowly into the hedge...

:blush:

A couple more scuffs on the crash bobbins, a small rip in the hem of my favourite trousers and a small dent in my ego.

ReformedNiceGuy
Feb 12, 2008

ReelBigLizard posted:

Fell over on the 690 yesterday. Pulled up to the back of some traffic, went to put my left foot down, trousers snagged on the (nice and pointy) foot peg and I couldn't unhook myself and get my foot down quick enough to stop myself falling slowly into the hedge...

:blush:

A couple more scuffs on the crash bobbins, a small rip in the hem of my favourite trousers and a small dent in my ego.

Hah! If we're doing embarassing; I managed to lay my SV down just after I passed my test duck walking it backwards after a failed U turn on a little country lane.

Luckily I kept hold of it so there was no damage. Although it took me two attempts to pick it up. The first I failed abysmally to even move it. I then contemplated calling some friends for help, realised I'd never hear the loving end of it if I did and the bike suddenly got a lot lighter!

I felt like such a dick, I've still no idea how I lost my balance quite that badly :blush:

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Drove off to get a haircut (40 miles round trip, they closed the second I got there :() and about 1/8th mile from home I dumped it. Was making a left turn from a curve and a car pulled way out past it's stop sign. I tried to take the turn wider than usual and washed out in a shitload of gravel on the side of the road. The car then immediately drove off without even acknowledging me. I'm a little bruised up but my jacket and gloves prevented me from getting a more severe case of road rash. Got a little scratch above my knee, I need to buy some riding pants.

Heat shield is all scratched up and bent a little, turn signal cracked and bent, forks tweaked a bit, and shifter all bent up. Mirror bent. Possible crack in the alternator cover. License plate bent up too. Nothing too serious, at least the painted bits are good.

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Alchemy - the study of how to turn LS1's into a 20B. :science:

My stupid leg still bothers me and hurts way more than it should if I hit it on anything. Fack

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

stevobob posted:

My stupid leg still bothers me and hurts way more than it should if I hit it on anything. Fack

I wiped out on my friend's little mini tote gote thing once. It's hard to tell from that photo, but it's just a 3.5hp engine on a ~30" tall bike. It was maybe 7mph in an empty parking lot. The rash from wearing nothing but a t-shirt & shorts was healed up in a couple weeks, but the bruised bone in the ball of my right thumb took months to fully go away, and hurt quite a bit if I put any pressure on it benchpressing etc. After awhile I thought I'd really messed it up and was considering getting an X-ray, but luckily it faded about a week later. I went back and read your crash report and I'll bet that's what happened to you. Of course I am not a doctor, and you should have it looked at/amputated etc.

Don't underestimate bruised bones. Also, don't underestimate stupid little pocket bikes.

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Alchemy - the study of how to turn LS1's into a 20B. :science:

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

I wiped out on my friend's little mini tote gote thing once. It's hard to tell from that photo, but it's just a 3.5hp engine on a ~30" tall bike. It was maybe 7mph in an empty parking lot. The rash from wearing nothing but a t-shirt & shorts was healed up in a couple weeks, but the bruised bone in the ball of my right thumb took months to fully go away, and hurt quite a bit if I put any pressure on it benchpressing etc. After awhile I thought I'd really messed it up and was considering getting an X-ray, but luckily it faded about a week later. I went back and read your crash report and I'll bet that's what happened to you. Of course I am not a doctor, and you should have it looked at/amputated etc.

Don't underestimate bruised bones. Also, don't underestimate stupid little pocket bikes.

That is probably exactly what happened. There is still a bit of a lump on my shin where it got smashed, which is the sore bit. It'll probably go away in a few weeks but until then, every time I lean over a car or anything where my shin brushes something, I emit a stream of curses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid
It's probably a cyst, if it remains for a while and is super irritating your doctor can drain it or get it removed. Usually you just let it heal on it's own though.

I had a friend with one for over a year, no clue why she never had it taken care of cause it hurt her like poo poo anytime she hit it and it clearly wasn't going away.

• Locked thread