Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007
I gave in a while ago and just devoted a drawer to the spices I use regularly that fit in small tins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Careful with those clamp lid things, I heard that the lids are cheaply made. I haven't tried them out myself though so they might be fine.

asterioth
Jul 27, 2007

If it's worth killing it's worth overkilling.
Thanks for the reccomendations, I'll try to get one of the mortar and pestles this weekend.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
I have a few drawers like this

GigaFool
Oct 22, 2001

Slightly more expensive, but I've been very happy with the jars from Penzeys. They have a number of sizes.

http://www.penzeys.com/cgi-bin/penzeys/p-penzeysjars.html

V- really? I've had mine for a number of years now with no cracks. Maybe they've changed something. I open/close them pretty often.

GigaFool fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Sep 15, 2012

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Every single lid on a Penzey's jar I own has cracked.

Guitarchitect
Nov 8, 2003

Bob_McBob posted:

I gave in a while ago and just devoted a drawer to the spices I use regularly that fit in small tins.

I have something like that now - magnetic backs, top rotates to allow spice pouring/sprinkling. The paprika jar lid is nearly impossible to pry off, anything with salt in it corrodes them, and anything with really fine powder (onion, garlic powder) turns into a giant solid clump. So I'm pretty sure they aren't air tight and my entire spice collection is much staler than it should be! It's turned me off from anything with a two-piece lid (metal with inset plastic, for example)

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Hey everyone, I'm looking to build a small kitchen set that will last me my entire life. So far I'm looking at Shuns for knives as out of all the knives I've handled I feel they have the absolute most comfortable handle / balance to them.

The OP recommends getting an 8" chef's knife, which I agree with (I have a Miyabi down south but my mother uses it now that I'm away for college), but what's the general consensus on size for a paring knife?

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007

Xovaan posted:

Hey everyone, I'm looking to build a small kitchen set that will last me my entire life. So far I'm looking at Shuns for knives as out of all the knives I've handled I feel they have the absolute most comfortable handle / balance to them.

Handle comfort is such a bullshit piece of knife buying advice. If you hold a chef's knife properly, the shape and size of the handle are almost meaningless unless it's an extremely unusual design. It's also worth noting that many high-end western-style Japanese knives will fail the "balance" tests.

Xovaan posted:

The OP recommends getting an 8" chef's knife, which I agree with (I have a Miyabi down south but my mother uses it now that I'm away for college), but what's the general consensus on size for a paring knife?

You want something very small, because you should be using your chef's knife for everything else. I only use a paring knife for very delicate tip cutting work like finely mincing garlic. Either get a couple of cheapies like this 3 1/4" Victorinox, or spring for something fancy like the popular 80mm Dojo.

Gilgameshback
May 18, 2010

Woot has a Shun 7" santoku for $99 today. It's the excitingly curved Ken Onion one. If you like santokus and don't mind the relatively short length and weird shape that's a good price.

I would also consider getting a 10" chef knife instead of an 8", unless you have a very small kitchen.

I've used Rada and Victorinox paring knives and have liked both a lot. The Rada paring knives come with black plastic or aluminum one-piece handles, and they have an endearingly primitive quality to them. Like something you would buy at a gas station. They came out of the box pretty sharp (it helps that they are very, very thin) and cost less than $20 for a set of three, made in the USA. The Victorinox ones are a little more refined and slightly more expensive. Both are essentially disposable, though I haven't seen any indication that they won't last for years anyway. I would get a bunch of these in different sizes if I were you.

I really don't see the benefit of buying a Shun paring knife unless you just want everything to match, which is a reasonable goal.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Bob_McBob posted:

Handle comfort is such a bullshit piece of knife buying advice. If you hold a chef's knife properly, the shape and size of the handle are almost meaningless unless it's an extremely unusual design. It's also worth noting that many high-end western-style Japanese knives will fail the "balance" tests.

You want something very small, because you should be using your chef's knife for everything else. I only use a paring knife for very delicate tip cutting work like finely mincing garlic. Either get a couple of cheapies like this 3 1/4" Victorinox, or spring for something fancy like the popular 80mm Dojo.

This is how I hold my knives, but my hands are extraordinarily large (2XL and spider-like) so a lot of stuff just doesn't feel right in my hands since it tends to cramp my fingers. I like the rounded feeling of Shun knives because I don't have to worry about my other fingers' comfort from any misplaced ridges of bumps you'd find on the handle.

Gilgameshback posted:

Woot has a Shun 7" santoku for $99 today. It's the excitingly curved Ken Onion one. If you like santokus and don't mind the relatively short length and weird shape that's a good price.

I would also consider getting a 10" chef knife instead of an 8", unless you have a very small kitchen.

I really don't see the benefit of buying a Shun paring knife unless you just want everything to match, which is a reasonable goal.

My kitchen is pretty small and cramped which is why I'm limited to two basically two knives and the Shun paring knife is indeed to match because I'm a pretty big sperg with those kinds of things. :) The onion knife looks awesome, but I'm not too sure about the handle because of my hand size. :(

I just talked to my mother and she said she's gonna ship up the Miyabi, but she told me she's run it through the dishwasher every time she's used it and has been keeping it in a ceramic jar with other knives and no grain filler so I really don't even wanna look at it and feel sick just thinking about it. :smith:

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Guitarchitect posted:

! It's turned me off from anything with a two-piece lid (metal with inset plastic, for example)

What would be ideal then?

I've started using small glass spice jars with metal caps and plastic insets, they appear to be airtight, but now you've got me wondering

icehewk
Jul 7, 2003

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
Mason jars have a rubber seal. Just buy your cumin in one pound sizes, you'll be fine.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
But they're too biiiiiiiggg

icehewk
Jul 7, 2003

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
Bam, 4 oz jars. If you check out your local canning supplier (read: big box fuckos cashing in on the trend) you may be able to find 4 oz and save the $11 on shipping.

If it's good enough to seal up pipe tobacco for years, it's good enough for spices. Pipe smokers are a distinguishing lot and won't trust in just any namby pamby storage solutions to prevent their precious leaf from perishing.

edit: Actually, if you order from there it's a flat $5 for shipping and $7 a dozen.

icehewk fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Sep 15, 2012

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

icehewk posted:

Bam, 4 oz jars. If you check out your local canning supplier (read: big box fuckos cashing in on the trend) you may be able to find 4 oz and save the $11 on shipping.

If it's good enough to seal up pipe tobacco for years, it's good enough for spices. Pipe smokers are a distinguishing lot and won't take any trust in namby pamby storage solutions to prevent their precious leaf from perishing.

I can confirm all of this.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Bob_McBob posted:

I really disagree with this. I own 5-6 different santokus/chef's knives/gyotos, and I think handle comfort is really important, and different for all the knives I own.

on some knives, the area your fingers are covering is tapered down to the blade, in some it's squared off and just 'drops' suddenly - and in others it's rounded. the depth of the drop there varies a lot from knife to knife, and the blade height / how much the handle is offset from the cutting surface matters a lot when you're gripping the knife as shown.

I usually don't reach for my gyoto, for instance, because the blade height is really low and my knuckles will hit the cutting board sometimes. my MAC blade's handle is sort of a curved 'bump', which really lets me grab the knife securely, so when I think about it, I find myself reaching for it a lot when breaking down meat / cutting through tough stuff. and, for instance, my girlfriend's not-so-superb henckles has a unbeveled back of the blade - so when you grip it properly the fatty upper part of your index (or middle, depending on grip) finger is right up against a sort-of-sharp 90 degree piece of metal - so it's like blister central after any considerable use.

I think the handle is probably what matters most to me - yeah, sharpness and edge holding ability of blades is important, but you can always resharpen a blade - the handle though is there to stay.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

mindphlux posted:

I usually don't reach for my gyoto, for instance, because the blade height is really low and my knuckles will hit the cutting board sometimes. my MAC blade's handle is sort of a curved 'bump', which really lets me grab the knife securely, so when I think about it, I find myself reaching for it a lot when breaking down meat / cutting through tough stuff. and, for instance, my girlfriend's not-so-superb henckles has a unbeveled back of the blade - so when you grip it properly the fatty upper part of your index (or middle, depending on grip) finger is right up against a sort-of-sharp 90 degree piece of metal - so it's like blister central after any considerable use.

My Calphalon knife has that square top edge like that too and if I'm cutting a lot I get a blister right where you're talking about. Usually when I'm cutting up tougher things for a while. I've been looking at replacing it for a while now because of that. I just bought a Tojiro DP for my boss for a wedding present which I like the feel and shape of a lot, but it has that same square top part as well.

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007

mindphlux posted:

I really disagree with this. I own 5-6 different santokus/chef's knives/gyotos, and I think handle comfort is really important, and different for all the knives I own.

on some knives, the area your fingers are covering is tapered down to the blade, in some it's squared off and just 'drops' suddenly - and in others it's rounded. the depth of the drop there varies a lot from knife to knife, and the blade height / how much the handle is offset from the cutting surface matters a lot when you're gripping the knife as shown.

I think the handle is probably what matters most to me - yeah, sharpness and edge holding ability of blades is important, but you can always resharpen a blade - the handle though is there to stay.

Some of this stuff is really nitpicking on finish and odd design issues with specific knives. If a gyuto doesn't have enough board clearance for a normal person to use it without constantly hitting their knuckles, it's a lovely gyuto, handle or not.

I think I was getting more at handle shape-related "comfort" advice. A lot of normal people don't use the pinch grip, which is why you end up with "ergonomic" knife handles and other bullshit intended to make holding a knife wrong easier.

I've comfortably used gyutos with rounded heels, straight heels, bolsters, no bolsters, full tang, rat-tail tang, d-shaped handles, octagonal handles, round handles, various western-style handles, and so on. Some knives have poorly made handles with exposed tangs that cause blisters, some have poorly finished edges. Many of these handles would be very uncomfortable actually held in the hand (as a lot of people think they should be tested). Pinch grip means you are just using the handle to lever the force, so any flat or round surface without poor finishing is generally fine. Only really unusually sized or shaped handles (e.g. Tojiro DP or Hattori FH) are issues for some people in this respect.

Gilgameshback
May 18, 2010

rockcity posted:

My Calphalon knife has that square top edge like that too and if I'm cutting a lot I get a blister right where you're talking about. Usually when I'm cutting up tougher things for a while. I've been looking at replacing it for a while now because of that. I just bought a Tojiro DP for my boss for a wedding present which I like the feel and shape of a lot, but it has that same square top part as well.

This is easy to fix, as what's his name from chefknivestogo explains in this video -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2YSkv2bS9E

Basically, get some automotive sandpaper and pull it back and forth over the spine where your hand touches.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

Steve Yun posted:

What would be ideal then?

I've started using small glass spice jars with metal caps and plastic insets, they appear to be airtight, but now you've got me wondering

Next time you're at the doctors for a checkup go and grab some urinal specimen cups. They are airtight, liquid tight, made of neutral plastic and you can probably scam off with five or six of them in your pockets without anyone being the wiser.

Or, you can shun the thieving college student route and order them yourself:
http://www.amazon.com/Dynarex-Speci...cimen+container

Booyah! 100 spice jars at 19 cents a pop. Beat *that*.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

CuddleChunks posted:

Booyah! 100 spice jars at 19 cents a pop. Beat *that*.

amazon posted:

Perfect for single-use urine specimen sample collections, as well as single-use biological collections

I don't know what kind of spices you use in your kitchen :colbert:

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007

amazon posted:

Perfect for ... biological collections

CuddleChunks posted:

19 cents a pop. Beat that.

:raise:

Radio Help
Mar 22, 2007

ChipChip? 
I'm trying to build up a decent knife kit for work, and I had a few questions on honing steels: first off, are ceramic steels worth getting? My sous chef recommended the MAC black ceramic rod, which seems pretty sweet but I'm a little worried about dropping $50 on a steel that could shatter if I decide to be a huge klutz. Is there a huge difference between the more expensive black ceramic one and the $20 white ceramic one? Or should I just hold out and get an F Dick Multicut?

Also, my knife bag is a joke. Any recommendations on ones that don't suck?

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Radio Help posted:

I'm trying to build up a decent knife kit for work, and I had a few questions on honing steels: first off, are ceramic steels worth getting? My sous chef recommended the MAC black ceramic rod, which seems pretty sweet but I'm a little worried about dropping $50 on a steel that could shatter if I decide to be a huge klutz. Is there a huge difference between the more expensive black ceramic one and the $20 white ceramic one? Or should I just hold out and get an F Dick Multicut?

For bag/case/roll I love ChefPak. As for steel, all that matters is that the steel is a harder material than your knife. Most steels are, so go get a decent Henckel Steel and call it a day. I personally use a Shun steel, but it was part of a gift set. I don't particularly notice it being any better at honing my knives than my $20 Henckel.

e: mostly, you just want your steel to be harder than your knife.

Chef De Cuisinart fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Sep 16, 2012

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

mindphlux posted:

I care more about blade geometry, but I pretty much agree. Unless you're talking about complete poo poo or are investing a lot of money in exotic blade steels, pretty much any decently-made kitchen knife will have good enough steel for what most people need a kitchen knife for. So the main way you're going to differentiate between options involves personal preference, and personal comfort absolutely should be at the top of that list.

Certainly if you're choosing from between the mid to high end offerings from the major names in mass produced kitchen cutlery---Shun, Wüsthof, Henckles, MAC, and so on---the average consumer (that is, someone who doesn't have a bunch of carefully nurtured special snowflake prejudices about knives) is absolutely best served by just handling all the knives they can afford and picking the one with the handle they like the best.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

I don't know what kind of spices you use in your kitchen :colbert:

You mean your kitchen isn't setup as a biosafety lab level 3? Huh. Weird.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Gilgameshback posted:

This is easy to fix, as what's his name from chefknivestogo explains in this video -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2YSkv2bS9E

Basically, get some automotive sandpaper and pull it back and forth over the spine where your hand touches.

Awesome. I'd actually though about trying that for a while now. It's not that often that I'm using the knife for a long enough time for it to bother me, but every time it does I think about trying to soften those edges a bit. I'm definitely going to now.

Gilgameshback
May 18, 2010

Radio Help posted:

The advice I have heard on steels is: you're using a steel to straighten the edge of the knife when it rolls at a microscopic level. You're not using it to sharpen, which removes metal from the edge. So you want a steel that will polish your knife edge rather than abrade it, so basically you want a smooth metal steel or a very fine ceramic one. Smooth metal steels are surprisingly hard to find.

The Swamp Thing
Sep 11, 2001

It's the Evolution Revolution.

Gilgameshback posted:

The advice I have heard on steels is: you're using a steel to straighten the edge of the knife when it rolls at a microscopic level.
This right here. I have a black ceramic MAC "steel". I splurged a bit on it (was like $60 maybe) but I planned to keep if for several years (that was 2008 and it's still working great). Honestly, I use a ChefCo mechanical sharpener for sharpening and i find myself using that more than the steel at work but the steel is good for "touching up" the edge. Obviously if you get a ceramic one you need to be careful about dropping and shattering it though.

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

MAYBE DON'T STEAL BEER FROM GOONS?

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)
Is there any reason this wouldn't be a good choice as a small roaster?

http://www.amazon.com/3-qt-Stainless-Steel-Chicken-Roaster/dp/B001FT1AWM

Gilgameshback
May 18, 2010

There are a few more Shun Ken Onion knives on Woot Home today at a big discount - a five inch utility, a ten inch (!) carving knife, and a five inch serrated utility for chumps. Has anyone here used the Ken Onion knives? I'm kind of tempted to get the slicer.

http://home.woot.com/plus/shun-ken-onion-knives

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench posted:

Is there any reason this wouldn't be a good choice as a small roaster?

http://www.amazon.com/3-qt-Stainless-Steel-Chicken-Roaster/dp/B001FT1AWM
Are you lookin' to do roasting for one person? That seems awfully small for a roaster. Inexpensive, sure. Fairly decent stainless steel too. If you want something that small, I'd say it looks pretty solid.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

The Ken Onion knives are terrible, fyi. We had a guy that lasted like a month come in with one of those Ken Onion "chef's knife". Chipped the blade dicing cooked chicken. Calls Shun customer service, they tell him the Ken Onion CHEFS KNIFE is only intended to cut fruits and vegetables, and will not honor the warranty.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

The Ken Onion knives are terrible, fyi. We had a guy that lasted like a month come in with one of those Ken Onion "chef's knife". Chipped the blade dicing cooked chicken. Calls Shun customer service, they tell him the Ken Onion CHEFS KNIFE is only intended to cut fruits and vegetables, and will not honor the warranty.

Ahahahah holy poo poo. That's one hell of an expensive knife to suck so badly at cutting things.

GigaFool
Oct 22, 2001

Someone who doesn't know knives at all gifted me a Ken Onion 4.5" chefs knife. It has a giant chip in it now. I have no idea how it got there, but I don't really care because 4.5" chefs knife.

Gilgameshback
May 18, 2010

Hahahah excellent. It looks like Shun is phasing them out anyway, perhaps because they are terrible.

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

MAYBE DON'T STEAL BEER FROM GOONS?

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)

dino. posted:

Are you lookin' to do roasting for one person? That seems awfully small for a roaster. Inexpensive, sure. Fairly decent stainless steel too. If you want something that small, I'd say it looks pretty solid.

Mostly for just 2 people. All I can find around here are 3-4lb chickens anyway.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Gilgameshback posted:

Hahahah excellent. It looks like Shun is phasing them out anyway, perhaps because they are terrible.

...and that's why they ended up on Woot!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

SubG posted:

Certainly if you're choosing from between the mid to high end offerings from the major names in mass produced kitchen cutlery---Shun, Wüsthof, Henckles, MAC, and so on---the average consumer (that is, someone who doesn't have a bunch of carefully nurtured special snowflake prejudices about knives) is absolutely best served by just handling all the knives they can afford and picking the one with the handle they like the best.

As with everything like this cooking is rife with special floweritis. For 99% of people outside of professional catering your knife choice is not that important. Any mid-range knife that's comfortable for you to hold, how ever you want to hold it is fine. If people pinch grip their knives or not makes little difference, it's better for someone to be comfortable holding their knife than trying to pinch grip it because that's totally pro.

There are some things where having a really great knife helps for a specialist task, like fish. But generally, doesn't matter. What ever makes you happy.

• Locked thread