Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out

Olaf The Stout posted:

I have a nephew named Tank.

You meant to post this in "Awesome names", right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

"Scientifically proven, rich and creamy."

Olaf The Stout posted:

I have a nephew named Tank.
Is he built like one?

A girl at my high school was called Miina Kenttδ which translates to Mine Fields.

Lullabee
Oct 24, 2010

Rock a bye bay-bee
In the beehive
I've known a few stormys, summers and autumns. I'm not a big fan of Naeveh either.

The worst had to be a tiny white girl named Chevrolet. She went by Chevy.

Also, don't be that parent that names kids after states. Some, I know, are actual names that just got stuck as state names, but for heavens sake, Montana literately is Spanish for mountains people. :argh: (Sidenote: my name is Montanna, I've met a handful of others named this in my life. My siblings are named after states as well. Yeah my parents were those types.)

Deific Presence
May 7, 2007

Wizzle-Wazzle posted:

I can't remember if this exact spelling is correct but I used to have a female coworker named Chimera, pronounced shi-MEER-uh. Her parents did not research that name very well.

I've seen the name Anthony Anthony Anthony before.

I work with a girl named Chimera.

My ex's name is Betty. Not short for Elizabeth, her legal first name is Betty.

My name is pretty drat weird itself, but I'm not going to post it because according to the internet I'm the only one with this name.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

Deific Presence posted:

My name is pretty drat weird itself, but I'm not going to post it because according to the internet I'm the only one with this name.

Is it Tank?

Leocadia
Dec 26, 2011

Deific Presence posted:

That's what the net says about my name, which is Nimue, but I use my middle name now.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

redmercer posted:

The best last names for Basic Training are Gay, High, and anything so long they have to switch to a smaller font to make your name tapes (Chryssanthokopolous)

I remember reading a Reader's Digest Humor in Uniform story about a guy named Nightingale who had the bad luck of coming after a Florence during roll call.

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?

Deific Presence posted:

What's so terrible about Betty? It's just because she's your ex, right?

iamathousandapples
Jul 12, 2012

Deific Presence posted:

What's wrong with Betty?

Deific Presence
May 7, 2007

Cpt. Spring Types posted:

What's so terrible about Betty? It's just because she's your ex, right?

It's not that terrible. Mostly just odd. And people made fun of her a lot when we were younger.

DemonDarkhorse
Nov 5, 2011

It's probably not tobacco. You just need to start wiping front-to-back from now on.

Cymbal Monkey posted:

I got this year's list of amazing names from a local preschool teacher! They are as follows:
• Theron
• Zalo
• Kaydn
• Nazim
• Zavanya
• Kadrea and her mother Qadriyya.
• Kidd

Keep in mind, I live in a small town in the US that is excruciatingly white. These aren't immigrant names, these are "my child is special" names. I have confirmed that every one of these kids was white and had American parents.

Oh, more names from previous years:

Tuesday Noscel (pronounced Nozzle) and her friends Tony Crap and Brona Maloney.

Theron is my cousin's name. He was named after a great uncle, so it's a very old name.

On the other hand, my brother's best friend in grade school was Sir Dorian.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

I went to school with a kid named Theron. We called him "The Ron." Also, I have an aunt named Gay, and her brother, my uncle, is "Dickie." Not Richard, his given name is Dickey. Oh, and another sibling named Buck. I have an Uncle Buck. Glad my old man got let off with "Donald."

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

At work I've processed orders for both Aaron Assman and Mamoth Panda.

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.
A coworker of my GF when I lived in Florida exemplified "Yes, THAT is what True Love looks like!"

She married a Dutchman who's last name was Byck. She married him despite her first name being "Rhoda".

In the graduating class ahead of me was Fabumi Kabumi Atafumi - IIRC they were from Ghana, originally.

The best friend of my HS GF was Chevy. His daughters were Chevelle and Chevette. They were awesome.

I
Aug 4, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage

Eat This Glob posted:

I have an aunt named Gay

Me too. My mum's name is Joy and her sister is Gay. I always said their other sister should be called Happy, but she's not.

Broxgar posted:

My wife and I named 3 of our 4 kids after Babylon 5 characters. Most people think they are terrible. Twin boys, Londo and Lennier. Little girl named Delenn.

My ex's cats were called Delenn and G'Kar. Awful names for cats, worse names for human beings.

I knew of a kid at school with the surname Gaylord. His first name was something innocuous like Tom, but he ended up dating a girl called Regina Shufflebottom. Now there's a worse name.

When I worked at a hospital I came across the name Nana Law, which I've liked ever since. It sounds like a more hardcore version of Murder She Wrote, or a Boney M song. Also got confused by a patient who hadn't had her records updated and was still listed with the first name "baby". Turned out her parents had actually named her Baby.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

madlilnerd posted:

I knew of a kid at school with the surname Gaylord. His first name was something innocuous like Tom, but he ended up dating a girl called Regina Shufflebottom. Now there's a worse name.
Gay-Shufflebottom-Lord :allears:

Constipated
Nov 25, 2009

Gotta make that money man its still the same now

This is my favorite one so far, hope its real. My family is pretty good at choosing weird names. I have a cousin named Finn Nicholas Lynch, his twin sisters are Maeve and Naeve. (Were American, mostly German and and a mix of other European ancestry, but hey! Lets give our kids Irish names, cuz there is a little bit there in us apparently?) Another cousin named Guyle. One of my twin niece's is named Kindle. Pretty sure they thought of that before the Ebook came out.

I actually like the name Finn,(partly because of Adventure Time) and I hope he can rock it for the rest of his life. I kind of resent my parents for giving me two middle names, and one of the most common first names for a guy. Writing out my full name is a pain, especially in cursive. My last name starts with Mc, and my second middle name is Patrick.. So people always try and ask about my family tree and how Irish/Scottish I am, and how Irish/Scottish they are.

Reminds me of a goon quote about Americans saying they're whatever nationality, but they're really as American as a bald eagle making GBS threads apple pies on a freshly waxed SUV.

Hammond Egger
Feb 20, 2011

by the sex ghost
Processed bank details for Arman Mustafa Kunt once.

Must be fairly common because a while later I came across this on the internet:

skip.
Nov 26, 2007

My brother went to primary school with a set of twins called Race and Blade. And I remember a guy at my high school called Richard Korn. Also a guy called Ben De Angel, but I was apparently the only one who thought that was funny.

razz
Dec 26, 2005

Queen of Maceration
Some real people from my hometown:

Herschel Frankenberry

Hannahlore Mahoney (best name ever, she's a little old lady that goes to my parent's church)

Rusty Flack

Lilly Dilly

Bryant Bryant

Rocky Sunny Shore (saw him in the police blotter last summer!)

razz has a new favorite as of 02:39 on Sep 16, 2012

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

http://www.vitals.com/doctors/Dr_Peter_File.html

At least he isn't a pediatrician

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Excalibur? More like "Needle"

Grimey Drawer
My wife's cousin decided to name her baby girl Brooke Spring. I wish I were joking. Whenever she comes up in conversation I refer to her as River Brooke Spring Creek.

Not so much a bad name, but certainly pretty odd: in my tiny high school of something like 400 students from grades 8-12, we had two Goldwyn MacLeods. One of them was 6'2" I believe, over 300 lbs (a good portion of which was muscle), and very soft-spoken. The other was 5-foot-nothin' and was the mouthiest little bastard I've ever met.

Tinestram has a new favorite as of 03:35 on Sep 16, 2012

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous

Deific Presence posted:

If your name is Al, you missed a perfect opportunity.

vv Reminds me -- in middle school I had a camp counselor named September. All of her siblings were named after the months in which they were born. Makes sense if you come out between April and August, but any other time of the year it's just cruel.

hyperhazard has a new favorite as of 04:32 on Sep 16, 2012

ServoMST3K
Nov 30, 2009

You look like a Cracker Jack box with a bad prize inside
There was some mean guy who worked at DZ back when I was at a birthday party in 4th grade. His name was January. Perfect name for a turd out to ruin elementary school hijinks.

edit: Also I encountered a lad named Tommy Toy one Christmas. He obviously wasn't a fan of his name though, and introduced himself as Tom Header.

ServoMST3K has a new favorite as of 04:17 on Sep 16, 2012

Croisquessein
Feb 25, 2005

invisible or nonexistent, and should be treated as such
I came across an order form once for a "Lil Hardlicka" and was sure that it was a joke name but when I called to tell her her order was in her voicemail identified her as such.

Also I love that Matt Braunger standup bit about "Eggly Bagelface". Poor guy, I bet he gets round-the-clock prank calls now.

Eggbeater Jesus
Sep 21, 2008

Add a dab of lavender to milk. Leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it.
It seems like more people are giving their kids last names instead of first names. It's really getting to be a pet peeve of mine. Stop naming your kids "Jackson" and "Davis" and "Carter." Stop it.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

Eggbeater Jesus posted:

It seems like more people are giving their kids last names instead of first names. It's really getting to be a pet peeve of mine. Stop naming your kids "Jackson" and "Davis" and "Carter." Stop it.
I feel exactly the same way. For a long time now.

spite house
Apr 28, 2009

My parents almost named me Myfanwy, which is a very traditional, ordinary, common name... in Wales. Not so much in southern California, and I'm glad they came to their senses.

(For the non-Welsh, it's pronounced "muh-VON-way". Roughly.)

Idiot Kicker
Jun 13, 2007

jojoinnit posted:

I feel exactly the same way. For a long time now.

I knew a guy whose first name was Reynolds a couple years back.

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER
I fished with a guy named Bartholomew Noel Hemlet. That was actually a pretty rad name, and he just went by Hemlet.

Also worked construction with a guy named Erutan, which of course is nature spelled backwards. His parents were super hippies I guess.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

spite house posted:

My parents almost named me Myfanwy, which is a very traditional, ordinary, common name... in Wales. Not so much in southern California, and I'm glad they came to their senses.

(For the non-Welsh, it's pronounced "muh-VON-way". Roughly.)

I love that name, and my dad is Welsh, so it wouldn't be too terrible if I named my kid that, but I cannot imagine a child named Mfanwy running around rural Montana, fighting bears and poo poo or whatever it is people do here.

Crump Rocknubs
Sep 14, 2007

Maybe grind on some shit.
My next door neighbor is an old black grandmother named Lovely Diamond. She has her name tattooed on her bicep, too. She also has attack parakeets. Awesome old lady.

Blackbird Betty
Mar 27, 2010
Zeus Monopoly.

Honestly. He's about eight now, and he goes to the school down the road. Surely there are other traditional Greek names that work better in rural New Zealand.

douche ex machina
Oct 31, 2008
My father went to school for about ten years with a guy named Dick Finger.

I ran in a track meet against a girl named Taylor Bumpass and another named Stash Grab.

Also my sister while student teaching had a child named Seven. Pronounce seh-VAN.

fallingdownjoe
Mar 16, 2007

Please love me
When I was a kid I had a major crush on a girl called Skye Powers which even then struck me as being a bit strange. There was also a Chris Hunt in the year below me at school, and the bloody-minded mother of a girl in my year revelled in the name Gaynor Gaynor following a remarriage.

Also, as a Welshman, Myfanwy is an excellent name, and you should be proud to have been considered for that lofty title.

Indentured Servant
Aug 31, 2008
In the 1800s and early 1900s there seemed to be an epidemic of children named Lemon and Orange. Maybe it's the origin of that Orangejello-Lemonjello bullshit? Here's a few I found in Canadian records (thumbnailed):

The Lemons you can argue are poorly written Simons or Lennons, but the Oranges are definitely Oranges.

spite house
Apr 28, 2009

fallingdownjoe posted:

Also, as a Welshman, Myfanwy is an excellent name, and you should be proud to have been considered for that lofty title.
It's a fantastic name. It just falls into the Menlo Park Anglo kid named Nazim category of situational dissonance. And would cause a lifetime of being addressed as "Uh".

the tits
Mar 17, 2011

mophymophymophy
I went to elementary school with a Cinnamon Coffey. I went to high school with three sisters named Autumn, Summer, and Winter. I guess their parents never got around to Spring. There was also a guy with the last name Butt.

I need to start writing down the bizarre names I run across at work. I look at insurance policies all day, and off the top of my head the one I remember is Marijuana Miles, but there have been many others.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I
Aug 4, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post