Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eyecannon
Mar 13, 2003

you are what you excrete
Upgrade time October 1st! Finally can get rid of these Epic 4G's. Is there anything random I should know about SERO Premium upgrades? My wife wants a iPhone, will she be able to get a 5? Does sprint have any android phones with physical keyboards? I have no idea what I am going to get!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robo Kitty
Sep 5, 2011

There was a POST here. It's gone now.
Is there a consensus on preordering the new iPhone for SERO customers? Should we do it online or should we call the Employee Care number?

fagalicious
Jan 15, 2004

WHAT FAG

Robo Kitty posted:

Is there a consensus on preordering the new iPhone for SERO customers? Should we do it online or should we call the Employee Care number?

Worked fine for me on sprint.com once they finally stopped putting it up and taking it down. It tells you to call to activate it since it needs a different plan and sprint.com can't change sero plans, but the upgrade price was fine etc.

steimer
Jun 6, 2005

fagalicious posted:

Worked fine for me on sprint.com once they finally stopped putting it up and taking it down. It tells you to call to activate it since it needs a different plan and sprint.com can't change sero plans, but the upgrade price was fine etc.

Is the upgrade price just the $649 minus the upgrade credit? I'm out of contract with the old $30 sero and wondering if I can get some sort of credit for upgrading to sero premium with a new 2 year contract.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

So is going with a 2 year contract this time around the safer bet? Or are the fears of Sprint dropping the unlimited data plan completely unfounded?

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

steimer posted:

Is the upgrade price just the $649 minus the upgrade credit? I'm out of contract with the old $30 sero and wondering if I can get some sort of credit for upgrading to sero premium with a new 2 year contract.

Upgrade price == New contract price at Sprint.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

change my name posted:

So is going with a 2 year contract this time around the safer bet? Or are the fears of Sprint dropping the unlimited data plan completely unfounded?

I would really like to tell you they are completely unfounded, because if Sprint starts tiering/capping they lose the only thing they can really offer over the other carriers. Sure it's slow and has congestion problems in cities, but you don't need to deal with caps and poo poo, and when it's good it's really goddamn good. Getting rid of unlimited data would basically mean cheap, low grade service with no tangible benefit over competitors outside of a minor price difference.

Sprint would be stupid to do that, but they have not been the smartest decision makers as of late and have not always avoided stupid choices.

Magicaljesus
Oct 18, 2006

Have you ever done this trick before?

fagalicious posted:

Same. I called SERO customer care and upgraded my $30/mo SERO plan to SERO premium after I ordered the iphone on the sprint website (upgraded, new 2 year contract). I'll have to call again to activate and upgrade to the smartphone data plan ($50/mo). I can't be the only one to be happily locked into the SERO contract for another two years.

I was blown away with that SERO customer care line. I called this morning (iphone preorder day) and the representative answered on the first ring and I was off the line in under 3 minutes.

iluvpr0n
Oct 21, 2000

Figured getting LTE in Boston would be a ways off ("in the coming months"), but apparently us and Chicago are getting turned on next Friday.

Good thing, I've been having weird data connection issues on my EVO LTE (I'm on the Fresh ROM) for the last week or so. Sometimes 3G works fine, other times the phone displays 1X, and other times it won't connect to the mobile network at all. It's been a little frustrating.

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

If found, please return this poster to GIP. His mothers are very worried and miss him very much.

iluvpr0n posted:

Good thing, I've been having weird data connection issues on my EVO LTE (I'm on the Fresh ROM) for the last week or so. Sometimes 3G works fine, other times the phone displays 1X, and other times it won't connect to the mobile network at all. It's been a little frustrating.

My Sprint service in Chicago is truly god awful. It has been awful for months and I haven't seen any improvement other than a tower near my work which pushes 1.5 Mbit speeds on 3G. A large portion of the time my 3G is dial-up speed or the phone is completely unable to get an internet signal at all (not even 1x).

I'm glad they're turning on towers as they go live, but I've seen the maps at S4GRU and although there are supposed to be dozens of NV towers completed where I live, none of them put out anything more than 100k-400k speeds on 3G. They must really be chugging on getting backhaul to these towers.

I imagine it will be just like their other launches, officially launched but no one can find a signal or stay connected.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Is Omaha a market of its own? Or are we lumped in with some rural market that just gets constantly ignored since it is actually something like the empty fields of Western Iowa plus 900k people in the Omaha metro?

I don't get how we are this damned close to KC (Sprint HQ) but are ignored over and over when it comes to rollouts. We'd be a pretty awesome test market, considering corn and beef interfere with GSM or something so the vast majority of people in the area are Sprint or Verizon.

Nope, they'd rather truck a bunch of poo poo to some coastal market, incur years of delays, and then likely never end up hitting Omaha. This'll probably end up like WiMax except this time there won't even be a Sprint with whom to register my disappointment and I'll just be getting hosed bloody by Verizon after the merger.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
AT&T has 4g in Omaha.... Such failure.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

Eyecannon posted:

Upgrade time October 1st! Finally can get rid of these Epic 4G's. Is there anything random I should know about SERO Premium upgrades? My wife wants a iPhone, will she be able to get a 5? Does sprint have any android phones with physical keyboards? I have no idea what I am going to get!
Yeah, you'll have to call in and speak to Employee Care because they need to switch the SERO Premium plan codes from WiMax to LTE.

And as for a keyboard phone, they're pretty rare nowadays and will get more rare in the future. Luckily, one was just released: Motorola Photon Q 4G LTE review: the best full QWERTY phone on Sprint's network.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

TLG James posted:

AT&T has 4g in Omaha.... Such failure.

Holy poo poo, I wasn't even aware they had decent 3G in the area, given their map.

Still, it's AT&T. No way in hell am I going to them.

Cock Democracy
Jan 1, 2003

Now that is the finest piece of chilean sea bass I have ever smelled

FlyingCheese posted:

Use your upgrade to get a new iPhone 5, sell that poo poo on ebay and get whatever android device you want (and pocket the profit).
This is a great idea considering the current upgrade pricing on android phones. The only free android phone with an upgrade is an Optimus S? So lame. The iPhone 5 64GB can be had for $399 with an upgrade, then it will sell on ebay for $725-750. Plus I would get to feel smug about helping some idiot waste that much money on a new shiny iphone.

bobula
Jul 3, 2007
a guy hello

Cock Democracy posted:

This is a great idea considering the current upgrade pricing on android phones. The only free android phone with an upgrade is an Optimus S? So lame. The iPhone 5 64GB can be had for $399 with an upgrade, then it will sell on ebay for $725-750. Plus I would get to feel smug about helping some idiot waste that much money on a new shiny iphone.

I don't think Sprint iPhones go for that much on ebay, but I could be wrong. Even if you do that though, your investment in the phone would be $400+taxes, and if you got $750 for it that's only a $300-ish profit. And you'd end up spending more than that on a hot new Android phone, so how does that add up?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

7 Bowls of Wrath posted:

Sprint employees, is there any validity to this? Perhaps this will give us an excuse to upgrade from our OG-EVO4G's?

I haven't seen anything.

Hey, anyone looking to upgrade to an iPhone 5 and sell it, I will trade my Galaxy Nexus plus a bit of cash to swap for it. Let me know if you are interested.

Or I would do a straight up GS3 for 5 swap.

Duckman2008 fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Sep 15, 2012

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

bobula posted:

I don't think Sprint iPhones go for that much on ebay, but I could be wrong. Even if you do that though, your investment in the phone would be $400+taxes, and if you got $750 for it that's only a $300-ish profit. And you'd end up spending more than that on a hot new Android phone, so how does that add up?
Last year at launch I sold a 16GB 4S on eBay for $666 so $700-something sounds about right for a 64GB one.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

:getin:

So if I did that new line $50 thing Duckman how long does it take to get my dang $50?

T-Shaped
Jan 16, 2006

The weapons you pick up along the way help. At least they help you do less talking.
So the family decided to get in on the tail end of the $450 port credit yesterday, but there's one minor issue that came up.

I was with Sprint before, and right now my upgrade comes on Oct 1st. So to get around the issue, my fiancee took the Galaxy S3 I wanted as her porting over phone, and we were going to trade on Oct 1st, since she wanted an iPhone 5 that I would then get with my upgrade.

However, the in-store rep told us that because of how it works, we'd be stuck with the phones for 14 days for each of us which means I'd be stuck with an iPhone I'd hate for two weeks until I could trade it back to my fiancee.

Is there any way to get around this, or am I just stuck dealing with it?

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.

Duckman2008 posted:

I haven't seen anything.

Hey, anyone looking to upgrade to an iPhone 5 and sell it, I will trade my Galaxy Nexus plus a bit of cash to swap for it. Let me know if you are interested.

Or I would do a straight up GS3 for 5 swap.

Have you still not gotten rid of that thing?

After Vegas, I'm so ready to ditch my Evo 3D. I'm going to start looking at used Galaxy Nexuses once I get paid again, I guess. No interest in iPhone, and I doubt I could afford a used SGS3 at this point. Sorry I don't have anything of more value to offer you towards a trade.

Simulated
Sep 28, 2001
Lowtax giveth, and Lowtax taketh away.
College Slice

Cmdr. Shepard posted:

My Sprint service in Chicago is truly god awful. It has been awful for months and I haven't seen any improvement other than a tower near my work which pushes 1.5 Mbit speeds on 3G. A large portion of the time my 3G is dial-up speed or the phone is completely unable to get an internet signal at all (not even 1x).

I'm glad they're turning on towers as they go live, but I've seen the maps at S4GRU and although there are supposed to be dozens of NV towers completed where I live, none of them put out anything more than 100k-400k speeds on 3G. They must really be chugging on getting backhaul to these towers.

I imagine it will be just like their other launches, officially launched but no one can find a signal or stay connected.

Chicago is a unique case. Due to incompatibilities with the legacy equipment, the new towers cannot hand-off with the old ones and there is no fix. So the priority switched to upgrading every tower ASAP without waiting for fiber to the tower. As a result you won't necessarily see speed increases when a tower is upgraded, though you should be seeing less and less dropped call issues. The speed bumps will come along over the next year or so as the fiber rolls out, maybe sooner if Chicago isn't as much of a clown-show as DFW.

Speaking of, Sprint upgraded another 8 towers in the DFW marked last week. Wheeeee! Total towers upgraded ~150.

brc64 posted:

After Vegas, I'm so ready to ditch my Evo 3D. I'm going to start looking at used Galaxy Nexuses once I get paid again, I guess. No interest in iPhone, and I doubt I could afford a used SGS3 at this point. Sorry I don't have anything of more value to offer you towards a trade.

Come to the dark side! Muahahahahaha...

But seriously, you can always sell iPhones for good prices. Try it for a month and if you still hate it then flip it and get something else.

P.S. Also buy my app.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.

Ender.uNF posted:

Come to the dark side! Muahahahahaha...

But seriously, you can always sell iPhones for good prices. Try it for a month and if you still hate it then flip it and get something else.

P.S. Also buy my app.
I'd be buying while still under contract, so there is literally no reason for me to even consider an iPhone right now anyway. Besides, the iOS interface and I don't get along. I have a finely-tuned set of informative homescreens in Android that I'd be lost without. It's one of the few things that I really liked about Windows Mobile back in the day, too.

Port your app to Android!

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

brc64 posted:

I honestly like both phones, I just have two android phones so switching one to iphone is fine for me either way.

Destoration
Apr 30, 2012
I have a gnex and the signal bars have been all over the place since updating to jb. I have a airave right beside me but sometimes the phone displays only 1 bar of signal then full bars then switches to a outside tower. If I just sit there it will switch back to the airave after a minute or so. Could this be my phone or the airave?

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

A part of me would trade my GNex for an iPhone 4S if I could. I don't mind if I can't get a 5 but I am kicking myself a bit for not waiting.

Oh well.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Skeezy posted:

A part of me would trade my GNex for an iPhone 4S if I could. I don't mind if I can't get a 5 but I am kicking myself a bit for not waiting.

Oh well.
nexus is way more usable with the free extended battery, did you get that from sprint?

OMGMYSPLEEN
Jul 12, 2009

Rawwwwhiiiiide
College Slice

Duckman2008 posted:

nexus is way more usable with the free extended battery, did you get that from sprint?

Speaking of that, is that offer still available?

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

ninmeister posted:

Speaking of that, is that offer still available?

The code is still visible on the order page for the extended battery, so I assume so.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Duckman2008 posted:

I was never able to do it.

OMGMYSPLEEN
Jul 12, 2009

Rawwwwhiiiiide
College Slice

Skeezy posted:

When I try the code it wants me to suddenly buy a new phone instead of giving the discount. I'll have to give them a call tomorrow.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
The online ordering never worked for me either, the shopping cart seemed to be broken- calling worked though.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Skeezy posted:

Yeah you have to call.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Destoration posted:

I have a gnex and the signal bars have been all over the place since updating to jb. I have a airave right beside me but sometimes the phone displays only 1 bar of signal then full bars then switches to a outside tower. If I just sit there it will switch back to the airave after a minute or so. Could this be my phone or the airave?

I've had something like this too after updating to Jelly Bean on my Nexus S 4G.

I've never seen that happen before on GB or ICS so I don't know what happened.

Destoration
Apr 30, 2012

ThermoPhysical posted:

I've had something like this too after updating to Jelly Bean on my Nexus S 4G.

http://i.imgur.com/ERDY4.png

I've never seen that happen before on GB or ICS so I don't know what happened.

Updating the PRL or just sitting there for a few minutes will get the phone back on the airave for me. I reset the airave but that didn't seem to make a difference.

allcowseatgrass
Sep 30, 2007
Ok, I have been a Sprint evangelist since 2007, preaching the virtues of unlimited data to any friends that would actually listen. This has been going on for 2 weeks now though:

I can still get a decent WiMax signal if I'm within 100' of a Sprint store, but I'm getting pretty pissed off with an unusable phone at work where it used to be just fine. The signal strength hasn't changed. It has always been between -90 and -98db and I could stream music just fine.

My question for you goons is who should I complain to at sprint? I'm on sero premium with an Evo4g if that matters.

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem

allcowseatgrass posted:

Ok, I have been a Sprint evangelist since 2007, preaching the virtues of unlimited data to any friends that would actually listen. This has been going on for 2 weeks now though:

I can still get a decent WiMax signal if I'm within 100' of a Sprint store, but I'm getting pretty pissed off with an unusable phone at work where it used to be just fine. The signal strength hasn't changed. It has always been between -90 and -98db and I could stream music just fine.

My question for you goons is who should I complain to at sprint? I'm on sero premium with an Evo4g if that matters.

Looks like the speeds I'm getting in Southwest Ohio...so I feel your pain. I've complained on Twitter, but they basically told me nothing shows as being wrong on their network, and to check the network vision updates site.

I'd love to know if there was somewhere else I can complain that might get results...but it's probably a futile effort to do so.

bigpolar
Jun 19, 2003

Ozmodiar posted:

Looks like the speeds I'm getting in Southwest Ohio...so I feel your pain. I've complained on Twitter, but they basically told me nothing shows as being wrong on their network, and to check the network vision updates site.

I'd love to know if there was somewhere else I can complain that might get results...but it's probably a futile effort to do so.

I have had to call tech support a couple of times when my speeds drop that low after being decent previously. They made me reprovision my phone (the hands free activation) and when that doesn't fix it they tell me they are reporting it to engineering, and usually within 3 hours I'm back to speeds around 60-80 kbps. That's usually just enough to stream Internet radio, which is what I mainly use at work. Sometimes right after a repair I get over 100 kbps.

Jensen
Jun 4, 2006
This thread is so depressing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)

Ozmodiar posted:

You could always try to email the CEO, Dan Hesse at Dan@Sprint.com (not really him of course, but supposedly it's people who work directly under him who respond to complaints)