Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

madey
Sep 17, 2007

I saved the Olympics singlehandedly
The thick of it was very good but not funny in the slightest. Ok maybe the credits sequences but that's it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HoldYourFire
Oct 16, 2006

What's the time? It's DEFCON 1!

madey posted:

The thick of it was very good but not funny in the slightest. Ok maybe the credits sequences but that's it.

Actually I don't think I laughed much watching this one. OK, maybe at "What is this, Tinker Tailor Soldier oval office?"

meme
Oct 7, 2009

But it's a pretty good way to get someone to spend money on buying you an av and sig. Maybe I should be really obnoxious and get an upgrade myself

Moral of the story: be careful what you wish for.

You are welcome.

StrawmanUK posted:

Born and raised in St Helens. Currently a scouser!

Got a lot of family in St Helens. Used to drive to Birchalls for a pie every sunday! currently scousing at liverpool uni!

Edit: Or Pilkingtons? the place with the amazing pies.

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary
I'll just leave this here

http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/2012/sep/16/school-budget-cuts-breakfast-clubs

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
Dan Miller has always given off a David Miliband-ish vibe, he looks like him, has the same initials, and had one eye on the throne during the whole PM vs Tom thing.

madey
Sep 17, 2007

I saved the Olympics singlehandedly

So they're changing genres to true life (p)re-enactment, maybe that's why it wasn't funny it was just what actually happened. I also realised last night that if they go down the Leveson route they already have a baldy lord in the wings to preside over matters which would be amazing.

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary

Leyburn posted:

Dan Miller has always given off a David Miliband-ish vibe, he looks like him, has the same initials, and had one eye on the throne during the whole PM vs Tom thing.

Yeah I think Miller is a clear David Miliband analogue, especially now with him waiting in the wings to "save" the party

madey posted:

So they're changing genres to true life (p)re-enactment, maybe that's why it wasn't funny it was just what actually happened. I also realised last night that if they go down the Leveson route they already have a baldy lord in the wings to preside over matters which would be amazing.

I just find it both funny and sad that the show's Tories, who are meant to be a satirical exaggeration, abandoned that policy for being too evil even for them. And here we are, in the boring unexaggerated real world and our lot are actually going through with it

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

madey posted:

I also realised last night that if they go down the Leveson route they already have a baldy lord in the wings to preside over matters which would be amazing.

Oh my god, if they bring back Julian Nicholson to preside over the enquiry episode I will be the happiest little bunny in all the world.

Also, I know he hasn't been in the show for a while now, but I still miss Jamie "Angriest Man in Scotland" Macdonald.

Aristurtle Records
Jun 9, 2006

live at random, live as best one can

madey posted:

Really, I thought this episode was particularly funny. The whole sequence where they try to come up with a term for the everyday do-gooders and end up with "quiet bat people" had me in stitches. Also Nicola's classic cringe moments, like when she says everyone has to wear their poppies or be shot at dawn.

On the whole I'm just really happy to see Malcolm Tucker again. Ben recounting some of his insults was great - noncy sinatra especially

James R
Dec 22, 2006

I hear they're still eating paper. Is that true?

HoldYourFire posted:

Actually I don't think I laughed much watching this one. OK, maybe at "What is this, Tinker Tailor Soldier oval office?"

Would anyone object if I was to make a Thick of It thread? There might not be too many of us, but if it had a thread it'd maybe get more people interested in watching it. Or we could all just post YouTube clips and favourite Malcolm quotes.

lets go swimming
Sep 6, 2012

EAT THE CHEESE, NICHOLSON!

James R posted:

Would anyone object if I was to make a Thick of It thread? There might not be too many of us, but if it had a thread it'd maybe get more people interested in watching it. Or we could all just post YouTube clips and favourite Malcolm quotes.

Not at all, it'd be quite nice

a shitty king
Mar 26, 2010

VogeGandire posted:

Capaldi looks like a loving SUPERVILLAIN. It's just that god-damned death stare.

When the Discworld BBC series about the City Watch is made, he needs a part somewhere in there. He'd just fit right into Ankh-Morpork, as someone. Anyone!

James R
Dec 22, 2006

James R posted:

Done, made a Thick of It thread. If I have missed anything then please just let me know and I'll add more/less. I will add opposition characters soon once we have some more information on them.

Link:- http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3507221

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

James R posted:

I'm down for it.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".
I enjoyed The Thick of it moment in Parade's end when the General tells Potty under his breath that he will break him. Soon everything will be TTOI.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

I would watch TTOL set in the past as well, I may add.

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.

Mowglis Haircut posted:

When the Discworld BBC series about the City Watch is made, he needs a part somewhere in there. He'd just fit right into Ankh-Morpork, as someone. Anyone!
Imagine how relentlessly terrifying he could be as Vetinari.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad posted:

I'd love if he had his own character written for it.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Irisi posted:

Oh my god, if they bring back Julian Nicholson to preside over the enquiry episode I will be the happiest little bunny in all the world.

Also, I know he hasn't been in the show for a while now, but I still miss Jamie "Angriest Man in Scotland" Macdonald.

I do miss Nicholson, and the Caledonian Mafia.

meme
Oct 7, 2009

But it's a pretty good way to get someone to spend money on buying you an av and sig. Maybe I should be really obnoxious and get an upgrade myself

Moral of the story: be careful what you wish for.

You are welcome.

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad posted:

I see him more as a Vimes, myself.

Carrier
May 12, 2009

Big Fat Quiz on tonight, wonder if it will be poo poo or mediocre.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Carrier posted:

Looking at the guests they have on, I'm going to go with poo poo.

incredible bear
Jul 10, 2005

doing the bear maximum

Carrier posted:

Is it New Year's already?

lets go swimming
Sep 6, 2012

Carrier posted:

It's an 80s circlejerk. And a bit poo poo.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

incredible bear posted:

Is it New Year's already?

80s special, one of three. It has Count Buckules and he seems in top form. No one has been too awful yet, though I'm not expecting much of Vorderman.

Carrier
May 12, 2009

No one is getting anything wrong this is poo poo.

James R
Dec 22, 2006

Reminiscing with one of my friends via Blackberry Messenger about Alive & Kicking and how the drat telephone number is still stuck in my head after all these years due to the catchy jingle. Y'know.. 0181-811-81-81!

So checked on Wikipedia and was looking through the different segments and presenters and started looking at SMTV the ITV competition which I never really watched and found this, which I can honestly believe isn't exaggerated or vandalised:-

quote:

Captain Justice
Based on consumer affairs programming, a studio audience of the day's guests with children sitting by them were given the chance to ask questions to Captain Justice (Ant in a superhero costume), but Dec would rephrase the question before the children had a chance to speak. The Captain would, in a booming echoing voice, give an explanation of how he'd do a superhero-esque revenge in answer to the problems, such as dealing with a store by unleashing the Horsemen of the Apocalypse to lay waste to it and leaving horse manure everywhere. Then, presenter Dec would say "or..." and, in a small voice, Captain Justice would give a more realistic answer, such as simply asking for their money back.
The sketch often had homoerotic overtones, playing up to the Captain's attempts to strike up a romance with Dec by trying to impress him or asking him out on date between the two male presenters. When Dec gave a confused reply, the Captain would exit through dry ice after saying "Sorry, misread the signs!". Dec would sometimes add to the joke by saying "There goes Captain Justice, always disappears with a poof!".

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

Father jailed for beating 3 kids after they wouldn't say who farted in his car

onoflalks posted:

It's an 80s circlejerk.

Themed quizzes usually are.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

James R posted:

Reminiscing with one of my friends via Blackberry Messenger about Alive & Kicking and how the drat telephone number is still stuck in my head after all these years due to the catchy jingle. Y'know.. 0181-811-81-81!

So checked on Wikipedia and was looking through the different segments and presenters and started looking at SMTV the ITV competition which I never really watched and found this, which I can honestly believe isn't exaggerated or vandalised:-

I don't remember that but it's the exact sort of thing they would do on SMTV, it was a complete pisstake from start to finish and I loved it

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

James R posted:

I remember it from Going Live, when it was 081 811 81 81, predating the addition of that 1 in the code. I can't remember why they cycled through Sataurday morning kid's strands like that, I'm sure Going Live would give way to Alive and Kicking or 8:15 to Manchester only to return later on. Was there some rotational thing or am I misremembering?

lets go swimming
Sep 6, 2012

James R posted:

I do not remember this at all. Jesus Christ.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

onoflalks posted:

I do not remember this at all. Jesus Christ.

I just watched some on youtube, it definitely happened. Perhaps it was a brief thing, because I remember most of the old SMTV stuff but not that. The clips of it are quite fantastic though

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

If the Captain Justice thing usually ended with "and always keep the receipt", then I definitely remember it. Wonkey Donkey was the best though. And all the Pokemon stuff. Challenge Ant was great too.

hyper from Pixie Sticks
Sep 28, 2004

BizarroAzrael posted:

I'm sure Going Live would give way to Alive and Kicking or 8:15 to Manchester only to return later on. Was there some rotational thing or am I misremembering?
As I remember it, Going Live (and subsequently Alive & Kicking) ran during the school year and the other show (8.15 from Manchester, Parallel 9 and such like) ran over the summer.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
It was called Live and Kicking guys :eng101:

StrawmanUK
Aug 16, 2008

meme posted:

Got a lot of family in St Helens. Used to drive to Birchalls for a pie every sunday! currently scousing at liverpool uni!

Edit: Or Pilkingtons? the place with the amazing pies.

Pimbletts! Sadly closed now

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

SMTV is how kids shows should have been done. It just came across as if they gave the presenters some money and told to fill the time. It was shambolic and chaotic and amazing.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
8:15 from Manchester was ace.

Sadly BBC Oxford Road is gone now. So many memories. Mostly Mark and Lard, but Red Dwarf too.

And that phone in number was the BBC's standard call-in number for a hugely long time. Everybody knows it off by heart, surely?

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
Three legged donkey...

It has to RHYME!!! :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

thehustler posted:

8:15 from Manchester was ace.

Sadly BBC Oxford Road is gone now. So many memories. Mostly Mark and Lard, but Red Dwarf too.

And that phone in number was the BBC's standard call-in number for a hugely long time. Everybody knows it off by heart, surely?

Yeah, I'm pretty sure it was just the number for the BBC switchboard.