Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cooldude2.0
Oct 12, 2004
Grimey Drawer
Just finished Mother's Rosario last night and also ch 16.5. It'd be less culturally acceptable, but FullDive also would have the medical use of nearly eliminating STD's and unwanted pregnancy. Alternately, it would be the final nail in the coffin for Japan's birthrate.

Once I run out of novels, the wait between episodes is going to be even more interminable.

The Dog Days protagonist should not be on that list. Hyouka's rankings are acceptable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

cooldude2.0 posted:

The Dog Days protagonist should not be on that list. Hyouka's rankings are acceptable.

I'm fine with him being on that list because he's not a loving wimp.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

ConanThe3rd posted:

It's also devoted to make the drama be about the subject and not simply be propelled by it. Something I have massive respect for.

Far too often the story is "I have boneits! I will fatally contract in five days so I must get thing done and ENJOY LIFE" and poo poo turning the ailment from "tragic thing character has that will enviably kill them" into a cheesy time-limit that one could replace without much issue if not for the promise of at least one notch on the casualty list.

Here, whilst it's is part of the character's drive, it doesn't interfere with the story by and large until such a point until the (initial) goal is had.

The terribly sad thing about it all is, you don't even find out about her time being up until it basically IS up. < Yeah, that's a :catdrugs: NOVEL SPOILER

Gearhead fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Sep 15, 2012

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Silver2195 posted:

Why isn't Mediator Watashi on the list? She's probably the best female character in any currently-airing anime.

Because actually decent female characters don't end up on lists of what Japanese otaku like.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

Because actually decent female characters don't end up on lists of what Japanese otaku like.

C.C. and Saber are on the list, so I wouldn't call the voters completely without taste.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Gearhead posted:

The terribly sad thing about it all is, you don't even find out about her time being up until it basically IS up.
[NOVEL SPOILERS]
At the risk of sounding insensitive, I think it stopped the story being about the disease and made it about the characters instead which, given the rather non existent amount of screen time Asuna gets in FD or GGO was rather needed.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Sep 15, 2012

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Doctor w-rw-rw- posted:

Sigh. Unsubscribing from this thread.

Seconded.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

ConanThe3rd and Gearhead, it seems to me you're making novel spoilers about future plot without marking them as novel spoilers for future plot.
Please, just for courtesy, put a bit clear NOVEL SPOILER in front of every spoiler that isn't for stuff that has already been shown in the anime. That would make me and (most likely) several other readers happy.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

nielsm posted:

ConanThe3rd and Gearhead, it seems to me you're making novel spoilers about future plot without marking them as novel spoilers for future plot.
Please, just for courtesy, put a bit clear NOVEL SPOILER in front of every spoiler that isn't for stuff that has already been shown in the anime. That would make me and (most likely) several other readers happy.
Done and will be done. Sorry 'bout that.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
You can knock players back in safe zones

This game would be so annoying to play even without the whole dying thing.
So much griefing potential.

Snow Halation
Dec 29, 2008

ConanThe3rd posted:

Done and will be done. Sorry 'bout that.

That means proper spoiler tags, not just saying [NOVEL SPOILERS].

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Dexo posted:

You can knock players back in safe zones

This game would be so annoying to play even without the whole dying thing.
So much griefing potential.

Old MMOs, huzzah.

Then again, since it's VR, I can see how having difficult elements would have an actual appeal beyond catering to people who like this level of difficulty.

cooldude2.0
Oct 12, 2004
Grimey Drawer
Based on how they condensed this episode, they must be aiming for (moderate novel spoilers) Asuna's release from the virtual world

They went (ep 11) straight from teleporting to level 1 to getting in a fight with the Army guys, instead of (in the novel) talking to poor people about fruit, heading to the "orphanage", and then confronting the army. It's a minimal difference in storytelling but if you read the novels it's a pretty clear sign, in terms of pace, of where they're aiming for by episode 25.

I'd be shocked if this show doesn't get more seasons. The Mother's Rosario novel could probably be 12 episodes.

Compared to the light novels, I think the anime is better because the novels wrapped up the main story and then they keep going back to add in details. The anime is like the "if I had the chance to do it over again" version of the story, where all the SAO events are presented chronologically. They're still skipping over Laughing Coffin stuff, but I think it's meant to be flashback only and not incorporated in this main story line.

I still haven't read volume 8, but it seems to be mostly the murder mystery from earlier so I won't have any further spoiler insights for a while.

cooldude2.0 fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Sep 15, 2012

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

MagicalDuck posted:

That means proper spoiler tags, not just saying [NOVEL SPOILERS].

Oh. Right. Sorry, thought I was spoiler tagging enough. Will keep that in mind for future posts.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

cooldude2.0 posted:

It's a minimal difference in storytelling but if you read the novels it's a pretty clear sign, in terms of pace, of where they're aiming for by episode 25.

The events you mentioned are pretty much perfect for ending a season.

I'm really, really hoping A-1 keeps animating this, they'd be kind of dumb not to considering how popular it's gotten.

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Gearhead posted:

The events you mentioned are pretty much perfect for ending a season.

I'm really, really hoping A-1 keeps animating this, they'd be kind of dumb not to considering how popular it's gotten.

There was a thing from a talent agency in Japan the other week who tweeted something about being surprised that because they thought a certain show was only going to run for 2 cour (~13 episodes) but was apparently going on for more. Process of elimination by the Japanese blog that reposted it narrowed it down the likely contenders to SAO, Accel World, Eureka 7 AO, or Kuroko's Basketball. So who knows, maybe they are going to jump on it.

In any event even if they don't it wouldn't surprise me to see either another season or a couple of OVAs covering the next couple novels. It's proven pretty popular over there and there's easy room for expansion.

.Clash
Apr 10, 2009
The anime seems intent on skipping all the little things that made me like the LN. Whats the point of the setting if you ignore all the details of the setting.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!
So how does this kind of poo poo work in Japan? Are we looking at two more episodes for the season, and then a break? How long are the breaks, usually? I'm sure there's somewhere better to ask this in general, but this seems like as good of a place as any given I assume SAO's closing in on the end of this part.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Nope, just straight through until the end (excluding special week breaks)

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

So how does this kind of poo poo work in Japan? Are we looking at two more episodes for the season, and then a break? How long are the breaks, usually? I'm sure there's somewhere better to ask this in general, but this seems like as good of a place as any given I assume SAO's closing in on the end of this part.
There's no season break like in American television. Once a season ends, the new shows replace the old shows immediately (or after about a week or so) and shows that are multi-season long just keep going. This also explains why year long shows (mainly shounen like Naruto or One Piece) have tons of filler since they don't have a cool down period for the source material to get ahead.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

.Clash posted:

The anime seems intent on skipping all the little things that made me like the LN. Whats the point of the setting if you ignore all the details of the setting.

Eh. They're on fairly tight constraints and are mostly keeping the must-haves at this point, such as how safe-zone combat works. I'll miss that scene that would've been in this episode. The one ofthe man being so proud of earning just enough to live by from selling fruit that falls off a tree in town.

cooldude2.0
Oct 12, 2004
Grimey Drawer
Leaving that out was a questionable decision, because it shows the amazing difference between the people who never left the first town. Both sides are shocked by the other's way of living.

It's scenes like that where I want the characters to say something like "wow, I'd have to get a million of those to buy my house" but they're the most bragging averse people ever.

(later novels, not plot related)Later, they always seem to treat it like an important secret that they played SAO and I have yet to understand that because it goes beyond being humble.

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

Talking about cours -- from the usage on these forums, I could easily assume that cour == season, but I looked it up anyway.... Here is what I think the two planned cours for this light-novel series will consist of:

(Moderate Light Novel Spoilers Here) -- honestly, I'm not giving away much here, but I want to be careful, so....
I think that the next episode is going to involve Yui and the Army situation outlined in the light novel side story about Yui and who she actually is and then the final episode of this cour will be the last episode where they are in Sword Art Online. The next cour will likely be Fairy Dance.

With that said, I think the show's producers have done a really good job putting it all together for us in one anime. Since the light novel was this rushed piece all-in-one with side stories that stitched it together, I was originally annoyed with how they kept adding in the side-stories, but I realize now that was the best way to put the overall story together.

Even having read the light novels, I find watchng the anime a pleasure. For one, there are slight differences (nothing significant), and for another thing, it's great to see the characters in action. I really like the voice actor (Yoshitsugu Matsuoka) who voices Kirito too.

I would love to see them do Phantom Bullet and Mother's Rosario as well. I hope they do.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

cooldude2.0 posted:

Leaving that out was a questionable decision, because it shows [spoiler]the amazing difference between the people who never left the first town. Both sides are shocked by the other's way of living.

I think it might be that this show started out intended to be much shorter, and then it caught fire. The original plan was a probably for 2 cour show. But it got bumped up to 4 cour somewhere just before the time the trailers were first made.

(The trailers for this have always said it was 25 episodes)

And now it has gone completely wild. So the sky is now the limit.

Volumes 3 and 4 are pretty much on the table for sure at this point because a major character from 3 and 4 has a voice credit on the website.

EDIT: Well there seems to be something funny going on with spoiler tags all of a sudden in the parser. :colbert:

Gearhead fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Sep 16, 2012

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
^^^^^^
They are working for me. Looks to be fixed now?

Dan7el posted:

(Moderate Light Novel Spoilers Here) -- honestly, I'm not giving away much here, but I want to be careful, so....
I think that the next episode is going to involve Yui and the Army situation outlined in the light novel side story about Yui and who she actually is and then the final episode of this cour will be the last episode where they are in Sword Art Online. The next cour will likely be Fairy Dance.
Yeah, which is kind of sad since I was hoping to see the episode about (minor LN spoiler)the fisherman trying to catch the boss fish, which looks like it is going to be left out.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor
Well, considering how well they've done so far, the fights in the next cour are going to be fun! :neckbeard:

cooldude2.0
Oct 12, 2004
Grimey Drawer

Nalin posted:

Yeah, which is kind of sad since I was hoping to see the episode about (minor LN spoiler)the fisherman trying to catch the boss fish, which looks like it is going to be left out.
I'm optimistic they'll animate that, which would mean two more episodes for this arc instead of just one. Hell, considering how much they're cramming into some episodes, it might fit into episode 12. I'm so far disappointed that that character hasn't shown up again in the novels. He did get a couple seconds of screen time in the latest ep though. (irrelevant novel speculation) He has to be playing ALO because he didn't have a chance to go to the upper floor Kirito recommended for fishing. I'm not caught up on the novels yet so maybe he does show up again.

cooldude2.0 fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Sep 16, 2012

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Now that I think about it, isn't this the first time we've seen a search skill in the SAO anime?

The novel never shuts up about those.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Sep 16, 2012

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

ConanThe3rd posted:

Now that I think about it, isn't this the first time we've seen a search skill in the SAO anime?

The novel never shuts up about those.

If you mean the green eyes, he uses it to track that one girl in his first guild.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

cooldude2.0 posted:

(later novels, not plot related)Later, they always seem to treat it like an important secret that they played SAO and I have yet to understand that because it goes beyond being humble.

(Later novel spoilers, not plot related)

It's probably because for two years, they've gone through various ordeals. They've suffered, lost, degenerated, etc. And for that third that's stayed in the Town of Beginnings, it's not all that great a time. I mean, it's not all that bad either but it's two years of a dreary existence as they pass the time. Those who ventured out experienced more of the highs and lows, and those trying to clear the game are under the most stress. If you look at Kirito and Asuna, they're victims of SAO but they also gained a lot from it. For them and others like them, it's not a one-sided experience in which they are victims and nothing more, and that's probably not the common conception of the whole SAO disaster. Also, it's unwanted attention. Considering how much Kirito tries to avoid the spotlight, that sort of admission would draw attention.

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

I was not aware there was a side story that fit in to this part of the story. I, like someone else earlier was hoping they would do the part from the first volume. Which volume is this story in?

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

cooldude2.0 posted:

Leaving that out was a questionable decision, because it shows the amazing difference between the people who never left the first town. Both sides are shocked by the other's way of living.

It's scenes like that where I want the characters to say something like "wow, I'd have to get a million of those to buy my house" but they're the most bragging averse people ever.

Haven't you gone to a newbie zone as a high level player in an MMO before? They just wanted to avoid the goldbeggars.

(Kirito is the 1%)

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
The thing is if this poo poo happened, and Kirito was the one who beat the final boss, freeing everyone who hadn't died. Kirito would be pretty much the biggest hero in the world. Everyone would know his name and what he looks like.

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

Demicol posted:

I was not aware there was a side story that fit in to this part of the story. I, like someone else earlier was hoping they would do the part from the first volume. Which volume is this story in?
Morning Dew Girl is a side story. Is that what you're talking about? It's in Volume 2. They pretty-much had to include this side story if they're going to produce any of the follow-on stories as anime.

I love going into newbie zones as a high-level. If I'm a healer with resurrection abilities, I'll go around healing and buffing and resurrecting newbies who die. Put some massive heal over time on someone or buff their hit points. It's great.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

That Yui girl instantly made me think of Aura from the .hack series. Though I doubt there would be anything like that in SAO.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

Dexo posted:

The thing is if this poo poo happened, and Kirito was the one who beat the final boss, freeing everyone who hadn't died. Kirito would be pretty much the biggest hero in the world. Everyone would know his name and what he looks like.

Recent Novel Spoilers: This happens. Kirito feels like he wants to crawl into a hole after he finds out. Thankfully, nobody knows his REAL name, and most people don't know his handle. But 'The Black Swordsman' is freaking famous. Thankfully, 'Swordsman who dresses in black.' is the most generic goddamn thing in any MMO.

Gearhead fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Sep 16, 2012

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Gearhead posted:

Recent Novel Spoilers: This happens. Kirito feels like he wants to crawl into a hole after he finds out. Thankfully, nobody knows his REAL name, and most people don't know his handle. But 'The Black Swordsman' is freaking famous. Thankfully, 'Swordsman who dresses in black.' is the most generic goddamn thing in any MMO.

Yeah, if memory serves, he barely liked all the attention he was getting from beating the The Gleameyes.

Dood's got an anti social streak in him.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Considering most e-celebrities, I think his reaction is the better response.

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

nielsm posted:

That Yui girl instantly made me think of Aura from the .hack series. Though I doubt there would be anything like that in SAO.

Yeah, the glitchiness or distortion or whatever had me immediately thinking of Aura as well. I'm kind of wondering if someone tampered with her character or something, which is why she didn't have a player "gem" or stats visible. Also pretty odd she'd be out in the wilderness way up on level 22, could be she got teleported out there by someone messing with her. Or I guess she could be some kind of rogue AI, pretty odd situation all around.

Also interesting seeing this side of the ALF army, since they didn't really seem like that sort of group from the first run in we saw of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Yasser Arafatwa posted:

Also interesting seeing this side of the ALF army, since they didn't really seem like that sort of group from the first run in we saw of them.

I think their current state decently foreshadowed. From what we know, they used to be a frontline guild but sustained too many losses on the 25th floor. They're a group with many strong members and are also well-organized, considering the name and their participation in dungeon clearing. Since the 25th floor, they've stuck back and tried to recover. The Knights of Blood don't really try to rule but it's fairly clear they could if they tried. A large enough membership, hierarchy, strong leadership, etc. Main difference is that the ALF suffered a crushing loss and clearly took a blow to their confidence that they've been trying to cover up.

I wonder how long it took for them to clear 25 to 75, considering that's how long it took for the Army to feel they were up for another boss.

• Locked thread