Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Mister Roboto posted:

They're both like 1000 years old, at that point you hardly care.

Abstract embodiments given human form, so pretty much, yeah.

Also, from what I remember of Dissidia, they hate each other. ExDeath thinks her concept of the void is wrong or something, which is pretty stupid as she lives there and therefore would know better. She doesn't give a poo poo about anything and just wants everything destroyed. It's the perfect odd couple!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ross
May 25, 2001

German Moses

Dr Pepper posted:

It has nothing to do with Gau at all.

It's that "Hey how I do do X" "Don't :smug:" is a complete non-contribution to any discussion.

Commenting on the necessity/utility of doing something very time consuming in the games that the thread is about actually do contribute to discussion. As you can see, various other posters have responded with comments on the character.

What hasn't contributed to discussion is you posting about posting.

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

Hi thread,
Which of the first three games has the best/most tactical combat? 3? Are there any fan patches or re-balances for the early games recommended?

big duck equals goose
Nov 7, 2006

by XyloJW

field balm posted:

Hi thread,
Which of the first three games has the best/most tactical combat? 3? Are there any fan patches or re-balances for the early games recommended?

Don't use a fire sword on a thing made out of fire. <- Tactical combat in FF. If you want a tactics/strategy game, I think the closest thing you find in the series is FFT.

Edit: To answer your question, I don't know, the first one I guess? You get to pick classes, so I guess you could do a all BLM party or something and give your self a boring challenge of save state reloading nonstop to see if sleep/etc hit.

big duck equals goose fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Sep 16, 2012

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

LOCUST FART HELL posted:

Also, from what I remember of Dissidia, they hate each other. ExDeath thinks her concept of the void is wrong or something, which is pretty stupid as she lives there and therefore would know better.

Sounds like your typical religious schism. Obviously Exdeath knows what The Void wants better than the actual Void.

field balm posted:

Hi thread,

First 3 games, as in FF1, 2, 3 for the nes (and their remakes on psp/ds/ios)?

None of them are tactical like your usual SPRGS of today. You could make an argument that 3 is SORTA tactical in that you have to swap job classes a lot, but that's about it.

They're also fairly poor games by today's standards, even the remakes.

If you want actual tactics-based gaming in the FF series, you want...Final Fantasy Tactics. There's also the inferior Final Fantasy Tactics Advance, Advance 2, and FF12 Revenant Wings. However, Revenant Wings will be unplayable unless you played FF12 first.

You could also argue that FFX is somewhat tactical because it's completely turn based, no active battle, and you have to use the right characters at the right times.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Final Fantasy didn't start having interesting encounter design until 4. 3 tries to, but it's mainly a matter of a few obvious and poorly-implemented gimmicks like dodging enemy attacks with a dragoon's Jump.

1 has a solid resource-management game in some releases, 2 has its enjoyably illogical growth system, and 3 has you switching jobs regularly, but I wouldn't say any of the three have fun combat.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I feel like FF1's probably aged the best out of them all, but I haven't actually played 3 so I can't give an honest opinion on that one other than what I've heard. FF1's got its basic job system, encounters, and enemies. Not a lot of story to it, but having a bare bones story really isn't a bad thing.

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

Mister Roboto posted:

Sounds like your typical religious schism. Obviously Exdeath knows what The Void wants better than the actual Void.

First 3 games, as in FF1, 2, 3 for the nes (and their remakes on psp/ds/ios)?

None of them are tactical like your usual SPRGS of today. You could make an argument that 3 is SORTA tactical in that you have to swap job classes a lot, but that's about it.

They're also fairly poor games by today's standards, even the remakes.

If you want actual tactics-based gaming in the FF series, you want...Final Fantasy Tactics. There's also the inferior Final Fantasy Tactics Advance, Advance 2, and FF12 Revenant Wings. However, Revenant Wings will be unplayable unless you played FF12 first.

You could also argue that FFX is somewhat tactical because it's completely turn based, no active battle, and you have to use the right characters at the right times.

Thanks for the inpuy guys, I've played all of the main series after 3 and tactics, I'm just looking for a cool rpg to play with a 2-button style controller!

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

field balm posted:

Thanks for the inpuy guys, I've played all of the main series after 3 and tactics, I'm just looking for a cool rpg to play with a 2-button style controller!

Do you have access to the remakes? Out of the 3, FF3DS is probably the best for sheer "tactical" elements as the rest of the games can be beaten by pure grinding.

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
In my very, very, biased opinion, the most tactical FF combat I've ever see in any FF (main series) game is FFIV DS. Beating Pink Puffs in that version of the game is a bitch and a half, requiring clever use of augments / the auto-battle setup.

But, of course, I'm horribly biased because FFIV DS is my favorite version of my favorite FF.

If you want a tactical game in the first 3, try a low-level or white mage only runthrough of FF1. White mage is more about figuring out how to break the game, but low-level is pretty cool with a lot of situational tactics.

E: A video of FEARing Chaos to 'death' in FF1. Not recommended. Read the comments for why this took 5 days of trying before it worked:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUT47Za7lPY

But Rocks Hurt Head fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Sep 16, 2012

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Tactical combat in FF really depends on you being underleveled and not breaking the game. That can be really easy or really hard depending on the specific game.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

big duck equals goose posted:

Don't use a fire sword on a thing made out of fire. <- Tactical combat in FF.

Unless the fire sword is bugged and does nothing.

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

The laws of the fiesta mean nothing!

But Rocks Hurt Head posted:

E: A video of FEARing Chaos to 'death' in FF1. Not recommended. Read the comments for why this took 5 days of trying before it worked:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUT47Za7lPY

This reminds me of Sulla's account of his solo-Berserker run in FF5.

Miracon
Jan 1, 2010

field balm posted:

Hi thread,

If you want to play FF1 or 2, there's the Mod of Balance for the GBA versions. Dawn of Souls, the GBA remakes, were changed by Square to be way easier than their NES versions. The Mod of Balance slows down the level curve and rebalances enemies, spells, and items, to try to create a fresh twist. That way you can enjoy the remake's bonus dungeons and extra features while still having a moderate difficulty. I'm playing through FF1 on patch version 2.2 right now, and I'm having a lot of fun with it.

http://www.jeffludwig.com/finalfantasy/download.php

well HECK Phil
Feb 25, 2010
Toilet Rascal

Pesky Splinter posted:

I find it hard to dislike Exdeath because of how hammy he is, and how embraces all the cliches, just taking them in his stride. It helps that FFV is almost a light parody of the previous FFIV games.

Wow...that really puts FFV in a different light. I always flirted with the notion of similarities between Exdeath Armor form and Goblez along with the Zeromus and Exdeath's final form, but always wrote it off as similar artistic styles.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

SLDrisk posted:

Wow...that really puts FFV in a different light. I always flirted with the notion of similarities between Exdeath Armor form and Goblez along with the Zeromus and Exdeath's final form, but always wrote it off as similar artistic styles.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=koSnyw209gg

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Azure_Horizon posted:

Well now I need XIV on consoles.

The Good King Moogle fight isn't surviving Metor it doesn't seem like, so it won't be on consoles!

I do hope they bring it back in some fashion eventually just for how much goddamned character that fight has. However it might be one of those things that is a signature of 1.0 that they leave out for good.

E: Nevermind, I thought I saw it on the discontinued content list but maybe it's not! :3:

Boten Anna fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Sep 16, 2012

That Irish Gal
Jul 8, 2012

Your existence amounts to nothing more than a goldfish swimming upriver.

PS: We are all actually cats

RagnarokAngel posted:

Unless the fire sword is bugged and does nothing.

Huh, I thought I remembered that all the elements were jumbled around. So instead of "Don't use fire sword on thing made of fire" it was "Don't use lightning sword on thing made of fire, don't wear fire armour in volcano"?

And also "Don't buy that spell that ups your evade, it actually makes you easier to hit. Also you now have cancer. And the plague."

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

That Irish Guy posted:

And also "Don't buy that spell that ups your evade, it actually makes you easier to hit. Also you now have cancer. And the plague."

A recurring problem for FF heroes.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Pfft that boss is easy. :colbert:

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

Pesky Splinter posted:

I was going through some of FFXIV's soundtrack on youtube...and...well...I found this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GpftrjYCzpA

Kupo.

:suspense:

"Gentlemen, in order to make Final Fantasy XIV 2.0 a success, we need to lose our loving minds."

I am sincerely hoping that the reboot for this game is actually a success.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Dr Pepper posted:

Pfft that boss is easy. :colbert:

Maybe easy when the ATB isn't so screwy that Haste and Slow don't affect your characters' numbers at all. He and Odin can be surprisingly tough in the original because of the ATB.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

I've decided I want to play through a Final Fantasy again, but I can't choose between VI (played only a little bit) and IX (played a little, don't remember much at all). All 3 of them I haven't touched in 10+ years.

I love FFV, but I also really loved 8. In terms of settings I'm not that fussed as long as the story isn't loving awful. Which has the better battle system?

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

That Irish Guy posted:

Huh, I thought I remembered that all the elements were jumbled around. So instead of "Don't use fire sword on thing made of fire" it was "Don't use lightning sword on thing made of fire, don't wear fire armour in volcano"?

No it just flat out didn't work along with a lot of other stuff

But that's really just scratching the surface. Final Fantasy had a lot of bugs.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

FF9 battle mechanics people:

Was this the FF where Haste was useless? I'm not sure but I gave Zidane Auto-Haste and sure his bar fills faster but everyone's bar stays full for so long before they act that it might as well not matter. It's a lot of ability stones too.

Also I just stole Holy Lance from Ark and can't wait until I finish the next dungeon and can use Freya again. I should have left her in Desert Palace, the lance is stronger than any weapon at that point and you can equip Holy boosting equipment for her in most slots by that point, it should be really strong and would be way better than my currently 4 mage party.

Edit: Not to mention it's pretty easy to get her Dragon Crest to do 9999 as soon as I get an airship

THE AWESOME GHOST fucked around with this message at 12:50 on Sep 16, 2012

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

RagnarokAngel posted:

No it just flat out didn't work along with a lot of other stuff

But that's really just scratching the surface. Final Fantasy had a lot of bugs.

Nasir must have been a terrible programmer, then.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Pollyanna posted:

Nasir must have been a terrible programmer, then.

Eh...it was a (comparatively) complicated game at the time and most of the bugs aren't stuff you're going to notice unless you're actively looking for them. How do I know the coral sword isn't doing more damage to sea creatures if I'm not really monitoring the "base" damage? How do I know if Lok2 is increasing the enemies evade and I'm just having bad luck or confirmation bias?

Lot of the other spells outright not working is absolutely baffling to me though.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Stoat posted:

I've decided I want to play through a Final Fantasy again, but I can't choose between VI (played only a little bit) and IX (played a little, don't remember much at all). All 3 of them I haven't touched in 10+ years.

I love FFV, but I also really loved 8. In terms of settings I'm not that fussed as long as the story isn't loving awful. Which has the better battle system?

What was the third game in your first list?

8 is probably the most complex of the psx FFs, as it encourages NOT grinding and drawing spells to raise stats instead. It's one of the only FFs where the enemies' levels scale with the party, meaning that if you grind a lot, the enemies get stronger.

9 is pretty simple. Equip this weapon, use it 100 times, get the new ability from the weapon. The job classes of the characters never change.

6 is pretty simple too, but a bit more complex than 9, since all the important accessories are interchangeable. Otherwise, each character keeps their jobs throughout the entire game until the end where everyone is just a magic spammer. V is probably more complex than 6 as it's got far more limitations.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Boten Anna posted:

The Good King Moogle fight isn't surviving Metor it doesn't seem like, so it won't be on consoles!

I do hope they bring it back in some fashion eventually just for how much goddamned character that fight has. However it might be one of those things that is a signature of 1.0 that they leave out for good.

E: Nevermind, I thought I saw it on the discontinued content list but maybe it's not! :3:

Gosh, it sure would've been dumb of them to go through the trouble of recording that song just to blow it away with the meteor. Glad it's staying in.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Mister Roboto posted:

What was the third game in your first list?

8 is probably the most complex of the psx FFs, as it encourages NOT grinding and drawing spells to raise stats instead. It's one of the only FFs where the enemies' levels scale with the party, meaning that if you grind a lot, the enemies get stronger.

9 is pretty simple. Equip this weapon, use it 100 times, get the new ability from the weapon. The job classes of the characters never change.

6 is pretty simple too, but a bit more complex than 9, since all the important accessories are interchangeable. Otherwise, each character keeps their jobs throughout the entire game until the end where everyone is just a magic spammer. V is probably more complex than 6 as it's got far more limitations.

It was 10, which I found to be a bit of a drag. I am a bit of a short attention span guy, especially recently with games, so something that gets off the ground quickly is better probably. I LOVED 5 for the record.

It seems like 9 is grindy. Is that the case?

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
Not at all, using a weapon 100 times is a huge exaggeration. Something like 20-30 fights is more normal, and a bunch of the skills you'll not end up using anyway.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Stoat posted:

It was 10, which I found to be a bit of a drag. I am a bit of a short attention span guy, especially recently with games, so something that gets off the ground quickly is better probably. I LOVED 5 for the record.

It seems like 9 is grindy. Is that the case?

9 is a bit grindy, yeah, but not overly so.

I'd personally say X because it's one of the better FFs overall, but for your ADD tastes I guess I'd say 6, because it's SNES and thus more condensed.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

9 isn't so much 'grindy' as designed to be played at a fairly relaxed pace. It's a good game to sit back and take it easy with. No, really, it's even got the chillest overworld theme in the series.

10, on the other hand, doesn't really have any truly 'slow' parts, and flows along pretty quick if you're just after the main story.

6 moves along pretty fast early-on, but the second half/final third of it is essentially open-world; you can clear it up quick if you know what's where, but otherwise you could spend many hours just poking around, eventually finding everything, but by no means at a fast pace.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Mega64 posted:

Maybe easy when the ATB isn't so screwy that Haste and Slow don't affect your characters' numbers at all. He and Odin can be surprisingly tough in the original because of the ATB.

Odin isn't tough in the original. If you have Lit 3 he's cake and if you have to rely on summons instead you can still just have Kain jump at the last second then revive people when he lands.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Evil Fluffy posted:

Odin isn't tough in the original. If you have Lit 3 he's cake and if you have to rely on summons instead you can still just have Kain jump at the last second then revive people when he lands.

That's probably the main reason I had trouble last time I fought him, since I didn't have Lit3 or Kain yet.

I just ended up killing Rosa so she wouldn't waste time doing nothing while the other three went to town on him, and even then I only barely won.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Mazed posted:

"Gentlemen, in order to make Final Fantasy XIV 2.0 a success, we need to lose our loving minds."

I am sincerely hoping that the reboot for this game is actually a success.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

I choose to believe that this means chocobos are being planned as a playable race.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Is that a Black Mage Chocobo? :psyduck:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Chocobo Monks or no deal. :colbert:

e: Or a chocobo summoner whose default summon is Rydia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Mazed posted:

I choose to believe that this means chocobos are being planned as a playable race.

You can get a chocobo companion to fight with you, and there's a black mage, white mage, and tank one.