Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Red_Mage posted:

ZenMasterBullshit, please. They had families.

Woah woah. If we start worrying about the theological and philosophical issues created by the Murder Hobo life style not much in these sorts of games will get done.

Now excuse me while I go run my adventure about the players fighting Ghost Bluebeard on a derelict airship-cruise liner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
What if the dungeon with the sunlight puzzles and poo poo had plant life growing in there that you could magically cause to grow or burn up using the light and various magical mirrors and lenses and poo poo? Like climbable vines and sapling-choked doorways and other more magical poo poo that's too creative for me to come up with?

Let's get Legend of Zelda in here yo

E: also money sent Red_Mage

2E: And then we put it all up in a magical flying temple from ancient times why not :v:

Tepplen
Jan 9, 2012

Words of Friendship!

Tollymain posted:

What if the dungeon with the sunlight puzzles and poo poo had plant life growing in there that you could magically cause to grow or burn up using the light and various magical mirrors and lenses and poo poo? Like climbable vines and sapling-choked doorways and other more magical poo poo that's too creative for me to come up with?

Let's get Legend of Zelda in here yo

E: also money sent Red_Mage

2E: And then we put it all up in a magical flying temple from ancient times why not :v:

Oh man I totally did not think of growing plants. What if there was also irrigation channels? These channels could be controlled and altered but some required the light to turn the mechanisms or open certain key hatches?

Photosynthesis dungeon, learning and gardening, all in one!

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

I kind of love the idea of a huge floating abandoned airship that's basically a drifting dungeon filled with the ghosts of the crew and whatever killed them.

A previous Age's flying doomsday device populated by ghosts of the crew and the golem and construct crew that killed them - because they were primarily instructed to maintain peace. Equal parts Dr Strangelove, the Doomsday Machine, There Will Come Soft Rains, and I, Robot.

Illvillainy
Jan 4, 2004

Pants then spaceship. In that order.
Unfornately, I think that the Crusader's Battle Barge is too similar an idea. I basically read it to be a Space Hulk but with demons instead of genestealers.

Kenderama
Mar 12, 2003

Herding Nerds from
2007-2012

Illvillainy posted:

Unfornately, I think that the Crusader's Battle Barge is too similar an idea. I basically read it to be a Space Hulk but with demons instead of genestealers.

How about a flying realm that at one time housed one of the greatest circuses and carnivals of the Dragon Empire, but after being wiped out by the Wizard King's turning of the Iron Sea.

Now it floats above the land, and the ghostly drowned circus and carnival turns on - the damned folk there locked in a macabre dance of the dead as they continually relive their last days.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I was thinking the doomsday device would be a whole floating realm. I mean, if you're going to wipe out a planet it should to take something like that. City sized or larger.

Nobody should presently know what it is, either. The ghosts would fight you because they're crazy ghosts. The constructs fight you to protect you. Because at the bottom of the dungeon is a button nobody wants you to push.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

animaCartographer posted:

Photosynthesis dungeon, learning and gardening, all in one!

The Awful Dungeon, brimming with edutainment.

ack
Mar 16, 2007
ack ack ack ack

moths posted:

I was thinking the doomsday device would be a whole floating realm. I mean, if you're going to wipe out a planet it should to take something like that. City sized or larger.

Nobody should presently know what it is, either. The ghosts would fight you because they're crazy ghosts. The constructs fight you to protect you. Because at the bottom of the dungeon is a button nobody wants you to push.

I like this.
I was thinking about a loaded questions thread for the dungeon.
Where is the dungeon headed?
What controls the plants inside it?
What are the golems protecting the adventurers from?

Each contributor gets to ask and answer some questions and Red_Mage writes something with that.

-Fish-
Oct 10, 2005

Glub glub.
Glub glub.

Is there any room left to pitch in on Awful Dungeon, or is it already paid off?

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
Yeah I would like to vote for the crumbling flying ziggurat filled with plant life, sunlight related puzzles, and undead.

Overemotional Robot
Mar 16, 2008

Robotor just hasn't been the same since 9/11...

ack posted:

I like this.
I was thinking about a loaded questions thread for the dungeon.
Where is the dungeon headed?
What controls the plants inside it?
What are the golems protecting the adventurers from?

Each contributor gets to ask and answer some questions and Red_Mage writes something with that.

This sounds pretty good, honestly.

ack
Mar 16, 2007
ack ack ack ack

-Fish- posted:

Is there any room left to pitch in on Awful Dungeon, or is it already paid off?

It's already paid off. I guess if there is enough interest your could try and get other $500. I'd put $10 in for the second dungeon.

waderockett
Apr 22, 2012

I emailed Rob (and cc'd Red_Mage) to tell him about the brainstorming going on, and fosborb's "Great, but possible?" comment. I asked whether he had any guidance to offer right now. He's in Deadline Hell this week so he didn't have much in the way of concrete guidelines, but I wanted to share what he did say:

quote:

This will be so much fun.

The big answer you should know right away is that this won't be a micro description. We're taking at least a page or two pages, maybe more depending. We'll do this right. I think I can commit to saying that we'll give your dungeon as much or more attention than any of the dungeons in the book, you're sponsoring this book and we should create something you're happy about that people remember and want to play with.

And I can say that in terms of working out concepts, I can be in touch as soon as the manuscript is fully in layout.

SageNytell
Sep 28, 2008

<REDACT> THIS!

Dominion posted:

Yeah I would like to vote for the crumbling flying ziggurat filled with plant life, sunlight related puzzles, and undead.

Undead plant life that maintains the puzzle traps!

ack
Mar 16, 2007
ack ack ack ack

Overemotional Robot posted:

This sounds pretty good, honestly.

For $10 your get to ask or answer a question.

No more than 3 unanswered questions at a time.

For $5 you can "Yes, and..." an answer.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Dominion posted:

I'm imagining that the origin of this dungeon is some sort of necromancer type who became a bit self aware of certain trends in his chosen profession and realized that most undead attacks took place at night. Why, he thought, couldn't people feel the same feeling of perpetual fear in the daylight, perhaps with the added terror of being able to see the inexorable march of the undead upon you, knowing that dawn offers no sanctuary?

So he studies up a bit on some botonomancy, marries undeath with the growth of plants, and essentially makes solar-powered undead/plant hybrids. Something along the lines of that one real life fungus that takes over an ant to get closer to the sunlight so that it can bloom and spread. I am sure there is a also metaphor to mine here in regards to some perpetual cycle of life and death that strikes at the subconscious to make it even more terrifying, but metaphysical terror is sort of hard to convey in a page or two, so let's just stick with "Holy poo poo our hireling is sprouting flowers, immolate him before he infects us all." Heck, maybe there can even be an element of The Thing thrown in somewhere.

Red_Mage
Jul 23, 2007
I SHOULD BE FUCKING PERMABANNED BUT IN THE MEANTIME ASK ME ABOUT MY FAILED KICKSTARTER AND RUNNING OFF WITH THE MONEY

Goon. Dungeon.

I need to talk with Rob a bit, but I will be putting up a thread and linking it as soon as I do.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Red_Mage posted:

Goon. Dungeon.

I need to talk with Rob a bit, but I will be putting up a thread and linking it as soon as I do.

Thanks for not spending our cash on weed!

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

I really think that this should not be limited to those that donated to the dungeon fund. Let everybody participate and submit ideas, they'll certainly contribute more than just the few of us.

Tepplen
Jan 9, 2012

Words of Friendship!

Mustache Ride posted:

I really think that this should not be limited to those that donated to the dungeon fund. Let everybody participate and submit ideas, they'll certainly contribute more than just the few of us.

I can see this having problems both ways to be honest. On one hand, us as contributors being the only ones to suggest ideas wont get us nearly as many and/or great ideas as having others outside those who paid will, but on the other, there is a reason why "too many cooks in the kitchen..." is a commonly used expression.

We can try to have some sort of balance, but to be honest I'm not really sure how.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

That's easy, as Red_Mage is the only one talking with Rob and Johnathan, he can edit the ideas into something that's not stupid and/or full of memes.

That's my vote anyways.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
Too many cooks in the kitchen is in reference to too many people deciding things. Just pitching and talking about ideas would be fine.

I'd prefer each contributor have some element they control. An answer to the questions posed earlier which could incorporate ideas from the forums at large, say. Answers could be fairly robust.

And with Red Mage having overall editorial control (pretty much by default since he's coordinating payment and talking with Rob about guidelines)

And I also like the floating plant dungeon. Lots to work with conceptually.

edit: actually, as much as I like the plant dungeon, it would be pretty cool to have several general, one line concepts and open up voting to the forum.

fosborb fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Sep 16, 2012

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I really dislike the idea of formal voting on creative material, you just wind up with the blandest femshep and losingest chess moves.

I also like plant dungeon, but whichever way we go shouldn't start with "long ago this crazy wizard..." because ugh. Make it the immense corpse of a forgotten amorphous agriculture god, or a dislodged prison moon from a world of sentient plants. The genre has enough mad wizard vanity projects.

Tepplen
Jan 9, 2012

Words of Friendship!

moths posted:

I really dislike the idea of formal voting on creative material, you just wind up with the blandest femshep and losingest chess moves.

I also like plant dungeon, but whichever way we go shouldn't start with "long ago this crazy wizard..." because ugh. Make it the immense corpse of a forgotten amorphous agriculture god, or a dislodged prison moon from a world of sentient plants. The genre has enough mad wizard vanity projects.

I was actually going to suggest that it was once a collaboration project between the Priestess and the Elf queen as a form of political treaty. Due to the rival-like nature between the E.Q. and the High Druid however, as well as the High Druid's hate for the Empire (whom the priestess serves), the H.D. infected the temple with her plants.

Clearly this isnt 100% thought out, feel free to spin with this if you'd like.

SageNytell
Sep 28, 2008

<REDACT> THIS!

moths posted:

Dislodged prison moon from a world of sentient plants is intriguing - I think we could run with this, it's different but still fits within the larger strangeness of the setting. I like it.

Overemotional Robot
Mar 16, 2008

Robotor just hasn't been the same since 9/11...

animaCartographer posted:

I was actually going to suggest that it was once a collaboration project between the Priestess and the Elf queen as a form of political treaty. Due to the rival-like nature between the E.Q. and the High Druid however, as well as the High Druid's hate for the Empire (whom the priestess serves), the H.D. infected the temple with her plants.

Clearly this isnt 100% thought out, feel free to spin with this if you'd like.

I like the idea of involving some Icons in the back story. A flying plant dungeon is definitely ripe for some connection to the High Druid. Maybe it's some creation of hers that was corrupted by some force / another icon?

Overemotional Robot fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Sep 16, 2012

moths
Aug 25, 2004

There could be some connection with the High Druid, but it doesn't necessarily need to be the current age's High Druid. Maybe a previous High Druid did something exceptionally stupid or wise.

Alternatively, maybe she feels no connection to it at all and that terrifies her. She can only barely perceive it, and even then with concentrated effort. It tends to slip out of her thoughts with even the slightest distraction, and any discussion about the realm makes her frustrated and short-tempered.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
^ So yeah, what they said.

Maybe it was created by the High Druid of a previous age and is just now being rediscovered. I agree that it would be a good idea to include some Icon ties.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
I think the plants should be the former guardians of the place - not its inhabitants, but that races equivalent of golems. When the caretaker race died, the plants grew out of control, and now wander the complex, while the ghosts of their former masters wander as well, unable to command the plant golems because...

...because the type of ghost these people turned into can only interact with fully sentient creatures maybe?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Maybe tie the ghosts into the light / dark theme - the plants are only active during the day while the ghosts are dormant and vice versa. Like in Ladyhawke but crazier and with ghosts and plants.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

moths posted:

Maybe tie the ghosts into the light / dark theme - the plants are only active during the day while the ghosts are dormant and vice versa. Like in Ladyhawke but crazier and with ghosts and plants.

If you do this you can easily do the 'tying in Icons' thing Overemotional was talking about. H.D. overruns temple, Lich King corrupts it.

Alpha Phoenix
Feb 26, 2007

That is a peckin' lot of bird...
:kazooieass::kazooieass::kazooieass:

Overemotional Robot posted:

I like the idea of involving some Icons in the back story. A flying plant dungeon is definitely ripe for some connection to the High Druid. Maybe it's some creation of hers that was corrupted by some force / another icon?
Brainstorm:

In another age, a High Druid concocted this and primed it to destroy those not in tune with nature if some technology came to exist or if certain groves were destroyed. It's suddenly being primed to fire. The current high druid knows of its existence, and is using their powers to stop the trigger from being pulled, but needs a group to go into the Laputaesque castle itself to stop it from triggering before the druid collapses. Twist ending: Over the course of the dungeon, there are signs that it has been fired multiple times before.

Denizens of the place are plants, both benign (functioning as healing/recovery items) and malignant (traps/monsters), and wooden golem constructs which are mostly peaceful custodians [think Keepers in Mass Effect or the Caretakers in Laputa] unless you try to break down the walls or go into restricted areas. Some of the ghosts that haunt the flying dungeon are from a previous age, and blame YOU for their deaths and the deaths of their loved. Others wander around, obliviously talking to themselves and dropping hints for traps and secret walls.

ack
Mar 16, 2007
ack ack ack ack

Alpha Phoenix posted:

Brainstorm:

In another age, a High Druid concocted this and primed it to destroy those not in tune with nature if some technology came to exist or if certain groves were destroyed. It's suddenly being primed to fire. The current high druid knows of its existence, and is using their powers to stop the trigger from being pulled, but needs a group to go into the Laputaesque castle itself to stop it from triggering before the druid collapses. Twist ending: Over the course of the dungeon, there are signs that it has been fired multiple times before.

Denizens of the place are plants, both benign (functioning as healing/recovery items) and malignant (traps/monsters), and wooden golem constructs which are mostly peaceful custodians [think Keepers in Mass Effect or the Caretakers in Laputa] unless you try to break down the walls or go into restricted areas. Some of the ghosts that haunt the flying dungeon are from a previous age, and blame YOU for their deaths and the deaths of their loved. Others wander around, obliviously talking to themselves and dropping hints for traps and secret walls.

Allen this in the back of a flying/burrowing undead Koru behemoth, of course.

Strontosaurus
Sep 11, 2001

I'm imagining the corpse of a colossal Venusaur charging up a solar beam aimed at the capital city of the Empire.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008
So I just noticed this today, but it looks like my post here has been enshrined forever on their website.

So, uh, that's neat. :)

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

thats wicked awesome and I hope to see it in print

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

quoting bedlamdan from grognards because I like the cut of his gib:

"Bedlamdan posted:
I always felt that the best way to go about it was to start off characters as mundane at starting levels, but they get to become more magical themselves as they kill magical creatures. You killed the dragon? Its Vital Fires now burn within you. You killed the Demon? You can now shatter eardrums with its death-screams.

Oh dear, if I were any good at game design I'd run with this concept as far and as fast I can."

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Isn't that the elevator pitch for Mikan's Last Stand?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

moths posted:

Isn't that the elevator pitch for Mikan's Last Stand?

I dont know. Have a link? It sounds nifty.

• Locked thread