Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY

Halloween Jack posted:

I don't know why, but since I upgraded to Mountain Lion, Finder has been really poo poo at, y'know, finding things. Like not being able to search for files by filename.

Type into search box, press down and press enter?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

crazysim posted:

Type into search box, press down and press enter?

I think it should be working like this though:

EDIT: Ah, nevermind, you did a search from a Finder window, not Spotlight.

zalmoxes
Sep 30, 2009

:eurovision:
I will repair disk permissions before I try anything else. I will repair disk permissions before I try anything else. I will repair disk permissions before I try anything else. I will repair disk permissions before I try anything else. I will repair disk permissions before I try anything else.

Every time I have some issue with OS X, I spend an hour trying to figure out what's wrong and then I finally remember to try opening disk utility and verify permissions, and next thing you know, everything works again.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
If I burn Lion/ML to DVD, can I upgrade a machine running 10.5 to it?

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Small White Dragon posted:

I'm pretty sure 10.6 is required for upgrade. But you could do a fresh install.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

To be on the safe side, I would do a Time Machine backup to an external drive, do a fresh install and then use Migration Assistant to bring over everything from the TM backup.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Write the image to an 8GB USB stick - it's better for the earth and it's faster.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

ConfusedUs posted:

I'm pretty sure 10.6 is required for upgrade. But you could do a fresh install.

10.6 is only required if purchasing through the app store. Technically, if someone were to make a DMG copy, it wouldn't really matter as long as the machine meets the minimum requirements.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

empty baggie posted:

10.6 is only required if purchasing through the app store. Technically, if someone were to make a DMG copy, it wouldn't really matter as long as the machine meets the minimum requirements.

^^ That. There might still be some issues, but mainly because a fair selection of the hardware that was around for 10.5 (and even more so if they were upgraded from 10.4 before that) will be incompatible with 10.8. So the OS version might still be a signal of inability to upgrade, but that inability will not be due to the actual OS version itself.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Bob Morales posted:

Write the image to an 8GB USB stick - it's better for the earth and it's faster.

And a good USB 3.0 stick from a known good vendor is faster than a USB 2.0 stick. I've got this guy for $47 shipped from a deal posted in SAMart, partitioned 8 GB for OS install, the rest for a superfast bootable utility drive.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Definitely recommend the fast USB stick idea, 10.7 installed for me in 4 minutes, it's pretty much a straight copy from USB stick -> SSD.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
How does it usually take for these things:

1)Apple stores updating their display machines to a new OS after the OS releases?
2)Apple stores updating their inventory machines to a new OS? Can they even?
3)Apple online store updating their inventory machines to a new OS? Can/do they even?

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Shaocaholica posted:

1)Apple stores updating their display machines to a new OS after the OS releases?
3)Apple online store updating their inventory machines to a new OS? Can/do they even?
1) Should be pretty quick, since obviously they want people to be able to experience the new hotness in-store. I think usually they distribute a display image to visuals teams in under a week.
2) and 3) takes a bit longer because of building / testing factory images for each model and selling through stock with the old OS. I guess a few weeks to a month? Ish?

Take with a pinch of salt I guess since I never worked visuals or BoH but I think that's the right ballpark. Why do you ask?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Shaocaholica posted:

When I worked at an Apple Store...

1) The display machines were updated the day the new OS was released. We'd even close the store for an hour while the computers were being imaged and then re-opened during the middle of the day.
2) The inventory machines were not updated. All we did was open them up and put in the new OS disc in the box and tell the customers that the DVD was included inside. I don't know how this is handled now since there is no disc. They probably just show you to the website where you punch in your serial and get the free download code.
3) same as above

yoohoo
Nov 15, 2004
A little disrespect and rudeness can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day
It took us about a month to get machines purchased in store with Mountain Lion pre-installed but there was a process we walked customers that bought a computer after June 15th through to get a free download. Online store was faster to get Mountain Lion pre-installed but I don't know for sure how long it took.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Shaocaholica posted:

I work at an apple reseller, and we updated the floor machines the day of release. I would assume the official stores would do the same. As far as our inventory, it's whatever was on them when they were boxed. We can't open them, update them, then sell them as new. Again, I would assume Apple does the same. That's why there's the up-to-date page on Apple's website.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
So Apple keeps track of which machines are eligible for the 'free' upgrade? Via serial number?

TACD posted:

Why do you ask?

Just curious but also curious that my friend who showed me his 'new' MBPR had Lion and not ML.

Shaocaholica fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Sep 16, 2012

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Yeah if it's after July 26 you can upgrade for free. http://www.apple.com/osx/uptodate/

Some people might have to provide a receipt for proof, but in my case I just put in the serial and got my code. Mountain Lion came out after the Retina was announced and released so there will be a lot of them that didn't include the latest OS out of the box.

Mu Zeta fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Sep 16, 2012

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Independent Apple retailers are a lot laxer on the "new OS upgrade" thing. My campus bookstore still has a display iMac with 10.6 on it :downs:

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Martytoof posted:

Independent Apple retailers are a lot laxer on the "new OS upgrade" thing. My campus bookstore still has a display iMac with 10.6 on it :downs:
I was in a Target a couple of months ago (a comfortable amount of time after the New iPad came out) and there was a display case in there proudly extolling the iPad 2. The actual unit in the case was an iPad 1 :v:

eames
May 9, 2009

Photoshop CS 6 13.0.1 won’t let me enable OpenCL on my 2012 Macbook Air.
Can somebody tell me why that is? As far as I know Ivybridge has full OpenCL support.

If somebody here uses a 2012 MBA with PS CS6 in Bootcamp, I’d love to know if that version has OpenCL enabled.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Billa
Jul 12, 2005

The Emperor protects.
I'm not really sure if this belongs here, so excuse me if I'm wrong:

When I try to create an alias on https://www.icloud.com using the mail app it says that it can't be saved don't letting me create it. Is anybody else having this problem?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Billa posted:

I'm not really sure if this belongs here, so excuse me if I'm wrong:

When I try to create an alias on https://www.icloud.com using the mail app it says that it can't be saved don't letting me create it. Is anybody else having this problem?

Yes.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I'm not sure if the OS X beta has a NDA or not so just ignore me if this can't be discussed, but does the new Facebook integration somehow give me facebook message notifications or anything?

e: or rather, what does facebook integration give me other than being able to post status messages?

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Sep 16, 2012

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
I have been slowly converting my AVI and MKV collection to m4v using Handbrake, but obviously each run takes a while. I recently tried using MP4Tools and have not had much luck. The videos seem to convert fine, and the M4V files play fine in VLC, MPlayerX and Quicktime however they do not play in iTunes and will not transfer to an iPad.

I have tried the latest stable and the latest beta, with no luck. I've also tried adjusting the frame rate to all of the options and that still hasn't worked. Does anyone have any ideas?

dexter6 fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Sep 16, 2012

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

dexter6 posted:

I have been slowly converting my AVI and MKV collection to m4v using Handbrake, but obviously each run takes a while. I recently tried using MP4Tools and have not had much luck. The videos seem to convert fine, and the M4V files play fine in VLC, MPlayerX and Quicktime however they do not play in iTunes and will not transfer to an iPad.

I have tried the latest stable and the latest beta, with no luck. I've also tried adjusting the frame rate to all of the options and that still hasn't worked. Does anyone have any ideas?

Why m4v? Why not mp4? Are they they same? I used to do the same with x264 and mp4box and was able to get everything to work on iphone/mac/win/xbox/ps3.

quadratic
May 2, 2002
f(x) = ax^2 + bx + c
Is there a free alternative to Paragon Camptune X?

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Always searching for North.

quadratic posted:

Is there a free alternative to Paragon Camptune X?

Can't Disk Utility resize partitions now?

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

CaptainCaveman posted:

Can't Disk Utility resize partitions now?

Unless it's changed recently, it won't touch NTFS.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you
Is there a way to completely deactivate one's iCloud account, namely, so that there's no iCloud account even related to your Apple ID?

Jolan
Feb 5, 2007

Molten Llama posted:

Unless it's changed recently, it won't touch NTFS.

I'd wish Apple and Microsoft could get together and adopt a unified file system with full support from both major OS'es. Well, something other than FAT32.

FlashBangBob
Jul 5, 2007

BLAM! Internet Found!

Jolan posted:

I'd wish Apple and Microsoft could get together and adopt a unified file system with full support from both major OS'es. Well, something other than FAT32.

Isn't that supposed to be ExFAT (or FAT64)? From what I read its not as space or speed efficient as HFS+ or NTFS.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

FlashBangBob posted:

Isn't that supposed to be ExFAT (or FAT64)? From what I read its not as space or speed efficient as HFS+ or NTFS.

Exfat sorta works but then there are other OSs that can't mount that like Linux(?) and some of my setup top boxes.

spaced ninja
Apr 10, 2009

Toilet Rascal

Shaocaholica posted:

Exfat sorta works but then there are other OSs that can't mount that like Linux(?) and some of my setup top boxes.

exFAT is only supported on Windows and MacOS. exFAT isn't even support on the Xbox which drives me nuts.

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

Edit: wrong thread.

kuskus fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Sep 17, 2012

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
Cross posting from the hardware thread, since I'm really asking for a software recommendation:

Considering buying a MBA on Craigslist. Are there any diagnostics to check the RAM and SSD that I can throw on a flash drive to check it out? Anything else I should look at?

Here's the ad, by the way: http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/...3273956211.html

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY

syndex posted:

exFAT is only supported on Windows and MacOS. exFAT isn't even support on the Xbox which drives me nuts.

Fun fact: Xbox 360 supports HFS.

lets go swimming
Sep 6, 2012

EAT THE CHEESE, NICHOLSON!

crazysim posted:

Fun fact: Xbox 360 supports HFS.

My Xbox used to but now doesn't after a recent dashboard update and it's quite annoying having to use Playback to stream it as it's not as smooth. Same thing with my gf's brother's Xbox, same story.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

FlashBangBob posted:

You can't boot from exFAT iirc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

more like a Barking Dog, woof!
Is there anything I can do about a stolen macbook pro (circa 2011) to track it? I dont have icloud or any tracking apps, just the serial numbers and stuff