Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES
Is there a way I can stop my pop going flat?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
Seal it better. If it's a bottle, you can put some saran wrap over the top before you screw on the cap.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Crankit posted:

Is there a way I can stop my pop going flat?

With science :eng101:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fizz_keeper
(*May slow, not stop, may not live up to packaging, may be better or worse than nothing)

Or just chug it down.

VodeAndreas fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Sep 16, 2012

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

Lance Streetman posted:

How do you pronounce "Nguyen"?

Questions like this can be answered by Wikipedia. Even if you don't know the phonetic symbols they're using (IPA), you can click on "listen", which leads you to a northern dialect sound file and a southern dialect sound file.

One thing that both pronunciations share is that they sort of begin with the sound at the end of lung which then slides right into the w-like sound, so if you can manage somehting like "(ng)wen", it's probably a bit closer than "wen".

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
When did people start using "weary" when they mean "wary"?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

hooah posted:

When they started relying on spell check to tell them if a word was wrong, and it doesn't tell people they meant to type "wary".

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
If I want to see all the NFL games for an out of market team, is DirecTV's Sunday Ticket thing the only game in town? I'm only interested in one team's games; don't care about the rest.

Lance Streetman posted:

How do you pronounce "Nguyen"?

According to a Vietnamese guy I used to work with, it doesn't matter how you pronounce it cause you're not going to say it right anyway.

Liebfraumilch
Aug 17, 2008

hooah posted:

Could be polio. My mom has a round scar on her arm from that, and even though modern polio vaccines don't scar, they might not have had that variety in Turkey when he got it.

I'll have to sit down with him in front of a computer where we can get a better idea, but at least looking up polio as you suggested brought me past the veritable wall of "what vaccinations you need to travel to Turkey" on Web search, and what may be a blog about beautiful women with vaccine scars by the looks of what is clogging up Image search. Thanks.

Neuntausend posted:

Is "rad" a word people use in a positive sense? I always kinda have the feeling, that people are being somewhat ironic, when they say something or someone is "rad".

Like "awesome" and its ilk, "rad" can be sincere or tongue-in-cheek. For example of the latter, if today I saw someone wearing a shell choker and '90s clothes complete with peeping midriffs and wide-leg jncos, I might snap out of my 2,000 yard stare to say they're pretty rad.

hooah posted:

It's not just written, either. I've seen it on news interviews--you know, people on the street or at the scene of the incident--and I try not to let it bother me but it really does. I think, like "bemused", if you see it used incorrectly enough times by enough people...

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
I'm a bit allergic to cats - but manageably so, and soon I'll be adopting a cat. To keep my reactions as minor as possible, I want to invest in an air purifier for my bedroom at least, but one for my living room would also be nice.

I've found a lot of sites with a lot of reviews, and I'm just kind of getting irritated. It seems like the only ones that get REALLY good reviews cost over $300 - way too much on my current budget.

The rest are all "well this is ok i guess if you don't mind living with FILTHY AIR." This can't be true - there has to be a decent filter at a reasonable price.

Can anyone recommend me a decent air filter that will do a decent job without being really loud/huge/expensive? $250 is the most I could spend.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Huntersoninski posted:

I'm a bit allergic to cats - but manageably so, and soon I'll be adopting a cat. To keep my reactions as minor as possible, I want to invest in an air purifier for my bedroom at least, but one for my living room would also be nice.

I've found a lot of sites with a lot of reviews, and I'm just kind of getting irritated. It seems like the only ones that get REALLY good reviews cost over $300 - way too much on my current budget.

The rest are all "well this is ok i guess if you don't mind living with FILTHY AIR." This can't be true - there has to be a decent filter at a reasonable price.

Can anyone recommend me a decent air filter that will do a decent job without being really loud/huge/expensive? $250 is the most I could spend.
I think you need HEPA to filter out cat spit, which is the usual cat allergen. From there you need to consider room size and, most importantly, the cost of replacement filters.

I use this one in the bedroom (about 15x20'). It's quiet, has a cheap pre filter that you can clean to make the more expensive HEPA filters last longer, and has been working well for like 10 years.

http://www.amazon.com/Honeywell-Long-Life-QuietCare-Purifier-17000/dp/B000050AQ5/ref=pd_sim_hg_4

You can get the machine and several years worth of filters for $250 easily.

I also used to have one like this, a little larger and a little louder, but I think it overs a larger area:

http://www.amazon.com/Honeywell-50250-S-99-97-Round-Purifier/dp/B00007E7RY

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now

randyest posted:

I think you need HEPA to filter out cat spit, which is the usual cat allergen. From there you need to consider room size and, most importantly, the cost of replacement filters.

I've looked at some of the honeywells with the permanent HEPA filters...they require the use of a vacuum w/ a hose attachment to clean them, which I don't own. Thanks for the reply though.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Liebfraumilch posted:

I'll have to sit down with him in front of a computer where we can get a better idea, but at least looking up polio as you suggested brought me past the veritable wall of "what vaccinations you need to travel to Turkey" on Web search, and what may be a blog about beautiful women with vaccine scars by the looks of what is clogging up Image search. Thanks.

Don't know if it'll help, but I believe if you were born in north america and are above a certain age (40?) you're going to have one of those quarter sized scars on the upper arm. My older brother did but I didn't; I thought it was smallpox until they changed the vaccination used from an active one to a passive one. It's possible that other countries might have used the scarring vaccine for longer; I know that was the case in SE asia.

As for weary/wary, it's as said earlier, a spellcheck priority thing. Also see horde/hoard.

Flat Eric
Jun 13, 2002

Flat Eric posted:

So I am looking to both find the exact/correct form of this quote and identify its author. The quote goes something like this:

It goes something like that. At least that is the gist of it. I appreciate any help.
None of those quotes were it, though I appreciate the help.

The quote was directly relating war and sports/physical fitness. Basically it was saying if you aren't physically fit, you don't lose the game, you die.

Any ideas?

Liebfraumilch
Aug 17, 2008

Scaramouche posted:

Don't know if it'll help, but I believe if you were born in north america and are above a certain age (40?) you're going to have one of those quarter sized scars on the upper arm. My older brother did but I didn't; I thought it was smallpox until they changed the vaccination used from an active one to a passive one. It's possible that other countries might have used the scarring vaccine for longer; I know that was the case in SE asia.

Yeah, I think that is part of the reason I was so weirded out seeing it on someone who is just 31. Now that this is a topic of fascination for me, I'm going to find myself helpless but to covertly examine the upper arms of friends and strangers.

:sigh:

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Not sure if this is a small question, but what should I know in buying a used car of my own for the first time? Would I be able to get a used car entirely through loans/financing or do I need a down payment up front?

I'd appreciate the help, even if it is just the basics. :)

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

It reads all over his face,
like he's an Italian.

OrangeGuy posted:

Not sure if this is a small question, but what should I know in buying a used car of my own for the first time? Would I be able to get a used car entirely through loans/financing or do I need a down payment up front?
Check out this thread: AI meets BFC: Ask which car is right for you, and whether you can afford one.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Huntersoninski posted:

I've looked at some of the honeywells with the permanent HEPA filters...they require the use of a vacuum w/ a hose attachment to clean them, which I don't own. Thanks for the reply though.
Neither of the models I linked has a permanent filter. They do have pre-filters, which go on the outside of the more expensive HEPA filter to make the real filter last longer. Both filters can be easily replaced, and the pre-filter can be cleaned by putting it on the floor and running a regular vacuum over it, washing it with a spray hose, or hanging it from a line outside and beating it?

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now

randyest posted:

Neither of the models I linked has a permanent filter. They do have pre-filters, which go on the outside of the more expensive HEPA filter to make the real filter last longer. Both filters can be easily replaced, and the pre-filter can be cleaned by putting it on the floor and running a regular vacuum over it, washing it with a spray hose, or hanging it from a line outside and beating it?

Oh, the first one definitely says "permanent HEPA" in the description. This is another issue I'm running into - a lot of the purifiers I'm looking at apparently just lie about poo poo in their product descriptions? According to review sites they never give accurate room-size ratings, give out-dated or just false info about their sensors/filters/ozone/noise output, and uuuggh this is so much money to be gambling. I'm not mad at you, randyest, I do appreciate your feedback. I'll probably go with one of your recommendations or a similar model.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

stubblyhead posted:

If I want to see all the NFL games for an out of market team, is DirecTV's Sunday Ticket thing the only game in town? I'm only interested in one team's games; don't care about the rest.

Legally, yes. The Football Funhouse thread can help you out.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3495431

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Huntersoninski posted:

Oh, the first one definitely says "permanent HEPA" in the description. This is another issue I'm running into - a lot of the purifiers I'm looking at apparently just lie about poo poo in their product descriptions? According to review sites they never give accurate room-size ratings, give out-dated or just false info about their sensors/filters/ozone/noise output, and uuuggh this is so much money to be gambling. I'm not mad at you, randyest, I do appreciate your feedback. I'll probably go with one of your recommendations or a similar model.
It's all good and, well, I'm sorry, I don't really know what a "permanent HEPA" filter is, but I checked and you're correct that's in the description. I assumed it meant the filter was not replaceable and you have to clean it somehow which seems, um, kinda gross, and would surely lose filtering efficiency over time.

I can assure you 100% that both models I linked have easily (and relatively cheaply) replaceable filters, both main and pre. I do tend to vacuum out and re-use the pre-filters, which are like coarse carbonified 1" thick ~$5 wraps that go around the big round ~3" thick folded-filter-stuff HEPA filters, preventing big particles and dust from loving up / clogging the expensive HEPA part. But as I said, you can clean those in a bunch of different ways or even replace them very cheaply and easily. I get them for like $3 in bulk. I throw out and replace the main filters when the machine tells me it's done (it has handy lights to indicate status of pre and main filters, though I still don't know how they work :iiam: .)

Anyway, too much filterchat I guess but my wife has allergies (not cats, trees and poo poo) so we tried a bunch and the Honeywell ones seem to work really well, are quiet, and have the cheapest replacement filters, which is way more important in terms of overall cost than the machine itself, since the thing will last decades but you'll need to change filters every 3-6 months no matter what. I can't imagine a "permanent" filter being cleanable enough but maybe I'm behind the filtering times, so to speak.

Anyway, good luck and thanks for helping a nice catte in need :)

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
What was the name of that learning language series that advertised a lot via commercials in the early 90s? I remember it being animated on videtape, or something...

edit: Muzzy!

the fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Sep 17, 2012

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.
I recently got a kinda-older laptop and hooked it up to my TV, so I can watch online videos on a big screen with decent speakers. I'm looking for a wireless keyboard/mouse/input device that will allow me to type a URL, move the mouse around, and click, while giving me a small form-factor, and that doesn't need a mousepad/smooth surface to work on. (Maybe an Android app?) Anyone have any ideas? Is there a more appropriate thread in IYG that I should be asking in?

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

stubblyhead posted:

According to a Vietnamese guy I used to work with, it doesn't matter how you pronounce it cause you're not going to say it right anyway.

Probably this. So just stick with new-en (don't say noogen). Its pretty much the anglo version of the name seeing as vietnamese is such a tonal language.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster

Gravity Pike posted:

I recently got a kinda-older laptop and hooked it up to my TV, so I can watch online videos on a big screen with decent speakers. I'm looking for a wireless keyboard/mouse/input device that will allow me to type a URL, move the mouse around, and click, while giving me a small form-factor, and that doesn't need a mousepad/smooth surface to work on. (Maybe an Android app?) Anyone have any ideas? Is there a more appropriate thread in IYG that I should be asking in?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&N=100006666&isNodeId=1&Description=touchpad&x=0&y=0

Capt. Morgan
Feb 23, 2006

Gravity Pike posted:

I use an Android app called Unified Remote. The free version allows you to use the mouse and keyboard functions.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 2000

stubblyhead posted:

If you dont mind waiting a day to watch your team there is NFL Game rewind for cheap:
https://www.nfl.com/gamerewind

Titan Coeus
Jul 30, 2007

check out my horn

Athanatos posted:

If you dont mind waiting a day to watch your team there is NFL Game rewind for cheap:
https://www.nfl.com/gamerewind

I use this and generally like it (the condensed game feature is awesome), but something to keep in mind is that you can't watch anything during a live NFL game. If you want to watch a week 1 game during Sunday night week 8 you'll need to wait.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
I'd like to know if there are some proper adjectives for these concepts:

When I analyze a piece of literature, I draw two types of rationales for the actions of a character or an event. One is the internal rationale, ie what the character was thinking. The other is the external reason: what the author was intending by introducing this or that twist.

Eg. Why does Batman have a young sidekick named Robin?
1) Robin lost his parents to a criminal just like Batman, and Batman felt a kindred spirit.
2) The writers at DC felt the Batman comics need a figure whom younger readers could relate to, and because Batman looks like rear end in a top hat when he talks to himself.

Are there any terms to distinguish these two perspectives?

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

Liebfraumilch posted:

Could be the BCG TB vaccine, they leave circular scars like that on the upper arm

The Human Cow
May 24, 2004

hurry up
I just found out that a good friend of mine was on Dr. Phil in 2005. Clearly, I can't rest without seeing this episode, but I don't have any idea as to how to get it. Any ideas?

Titan Coeus
Jul 30, 2007

check out my horn

The Human Cow posted:

I just found out that a good friend of mine was on Dr. Phil in 2005. Clearly, I can't rest without seeing this episode, but I don't have any idea as to how to get it. Any ideas?

I'm not sure if you want to pay $30 for Dr. Phil but if you do: http://drphil.burrellesluce.com/

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

The Human Cow posted:

http://drphil.burrellesluce.com/

There are maybe other ways, but those would probably fall into the category of :filez:.

e: f;b.

An observer
Aug 30, 2008

where the stars are drowning and whales ferry their vast souls through the black and seamless sea
A bit late re: vaccine scars, but for what it's worth: I'm 22, emigrated from eastern Europe, and I have a smallpox vaccination scar that I had to get before leaving the country.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Baron Bifford posted:

I'd like to know if there are some proper adjectives for these concepts:

When I analyze a piece of literature, I draw two types of rationales for the actions of a character or an event. One is the internal rationale, ie what the character was thinking. The other is the external reason: what the author was intending by introducing this or that twist.

Eg. Why does Batman have a young sidekick named Robin?
1) Robin lost his parents to a criminal just like Batman, and Batman felt a kindred spirit.
2) The writers at DC felt the Batman comics need a figure whom younger readers could relate to, and because Batman looks like rear end in a top hat when he talks to himself.

Are there any terms to distinguish these two perspectives?
I use diegetic and non-diegetic, but I nicked those from film soundtrack terminology, so there's probably a proper literary term I should use instead. :effort:

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

An observer posted:

A bit late re: vaccine scars, but for what it's worth: I'm 22, emigrated from eastern Europe, and I have a smallpox vaccination scar that I had to get before leaving the country.

Smallpox was eradicated in 1979. Why would you have gotten a vaccine for that since then?

Illumination
Jan 26, 2009

Earlier today my mom and I were at my grandma's helping out with clearing out her garage. While we were doing this, we came across about 30lbs of diazinon, a gallon or so of chlordane, and a gallon of unmarked stuff that might be liquid diazinon. Who should be contacted about properly disposing of this poo poo? For the record, my grandparents owned a ton of orange groves back in the day and it was okay to use those chemicals.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Illumination posted:

Earlier today my mom and I were at my grandma's helping out with clearing out her garage. While we were doing this, we came across about 30lbs of diazinon, a gallon or so of chlordane, and a gallon of unmarked stuff that might be liquid diazinon. Who should be contacted about properly disposing of this poo poo? For the record, my grandparents owned a ton of orange groves back in the day and it was okay to use those chemicals.

Get in touch with your local sanitation department/whoever handles garbage collection and ask them the right thing to do. The magic words are hazardous waste. You might have more than they can take as household hazardous waste though, so it may be expensive to dispose of properly.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

An observer posted:

Like what was said, Smallpox was eradicated ~10 years before you were born...you sure it's not a polio scar? That's still around, and I can certainly imagine an eastern European country being a place that would vaccinate/the US would want people immigrating from there to be vaccinated for.

Captain Payne
Sep 27, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post
What exactly are they doing with the needle to give you a scar anyway, dragging it across your arm?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Captain Payne posted:

What exactly are they doing with the needle to give you a scar anyway, dragging it across your arm?

Ha it's no mere needle, iirc it involves partially slicing out the top layer of skin and then rubbing stuff in.

That's at least how they were done back in the fifties and sixties for certain diseases.