Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zooloo
Mar 30, 2003

just wanted to make you something beautiful
*John acts like a normal teenager.*

The Crowd: John is gonna snap when he hears about Vriska!

???

Seriously, there's a large difference between the catharsis you want and the characterization you're getting, and forcing a connection between the two isn't going to make it happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
Honestly, I don't think John is really going to flip about anything specific, but the aggregate of things might make him go slightly insane.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Zoolooman posted:

Seriously, there's a large difference between the catharsis you want and the characterization you're getting, and forcing a connection between the two isn't going to make it happen.

This is why I think that Vriska will "come back" before John even has the chance to find out she's dead. Its too good of a way to screw with fans who think that something monumental would happen because of that.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Zoolooman posted:

*John acts like a normal teenager.*

The Crowd: John is gonna snap when he hears about Vriska!

???

Realistically speaking the most he'll do is have a bit of a huff then sheepishly apologize.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

"Monumental" would be the wrong word for it, but it could be the final incident that provokes him to act rather than simply being cranky about it.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
I less meant it in an Eridan-Murder-Freakout and more in a [S]: John: Examine your dad's room. kinda way.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Yeah, realistically I don't think John could really be expected to go totally crazy or psycho from anything coming up. It's just that John's getting some character stuff that point to him being a dynamic character with an arc and some issues that are currently getting worse, plus some possibly difficult truths to face at the end of his stressful journey. That he's acting like a typical teenager isn't much of a deflection since Hussie could've just kept John mostly unchanged and unchallenged and received few complaints - it suggests the character has a little forward momentum. If he's going to grow and have an arc it'd be nice if there's some milestones along the way and it's fun to speculate which events will be significant.

Also Vriska already had that "John doesn't remember her" experience with Beta John, and while it could happen again I'm personally expecting most of her remaining character development to involve Tavros and whatever she does in the afterlife. Could be wrong of course, but that's the feeling I get after the whole Beta John and Tavriska encounters.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

Dolash posted:

but that's the feeling I get after the whole Beta John and Tavriska encounters.

gently caress, I forgot that Tavriska was even a thing, should go find that again.

CidGregor
Sep 27, 2009

TG: if i were you i would just take that fucking devilbeast out behind the woodshed and blow its head off
So there's no official update yet, but if you'll take a look at the kickstarter, there is a new reward tier that includes a Homestuck themed deck of Tarot Cards with loving amazing art.

Page One
Page Two
Page Three

Additionally it contains Prospit/Derse shirts, a grimdark squiddle tote, and more pins.

As if I didn't want enough of this poo poo, jesus christ Hussie.

EDIT: Also a new combo tier including all the packs so far at $605. Time for a million $612 pledges.

CidGregor fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Sep 17, 2012

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

Holy poo poo I want that.

Holy poo poo I cannot justify 155 dollars for a deck of cards.

:negative:

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Oh my god Hussie stop trying to make me donate to this drat kickstarter.

That Heirophant card oh my god.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Motherfucking tarot cards :supaburn:

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

I just spent $155 dollars on a pack of tarot cards.

I don't even want the rest of the rewards from the SEERPAK, I did it just for the tarot cards.

I need to go home and reexamine my life. I'm not reexamining my pledge though, those tarot cards are totally worth it.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Oh my god Hussie that deck is so awesome you are loving killing me here.

EDIT: I swear I recognize the artstyle for the Death card. Who did that?

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

gently caress gently caress gently caress

who told Hussie my weakness was tarot cards?

snucks
Nov 3, 2008

Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

CidGregor posted:

So there's no official update yet, but if you'll take a look at the kickstarter, there is a new reward tier that includes a Homestuck themed deck of Tarot Cards with loving amazing art.

Page One
Page Two
Page Three

Additionally it contains Prospit/Derse shirts, a grimdark squiddle tote, and more pins.

As if I didn't want enough of this poo poo, jesus christ Hussie.

EDIT: Also a new combo tier including all the packs so far at $605. Time for a million $612 pledges.
fffuuuck the people who made this pack bona fide know their rider waite deck.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Trebuchet King posted:

If someone told me that there was a significant overlap in MSPA fans and Persona fans I wouldn't be that surprised.

CidGregor
Sep 27, 2009

TG: if i were you i would just take that fucking devilbeast out behind the woodshed and blow its head off
Let's all start discussing how well the character choices fit to the Major Arcana they have been assigned to, because I do not know anything about them and am seriously legit curious.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Trebuchet King posted:

I know right? I'm looking over at my wallet on my dresser, going No. Not this. Not now.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

CidGregor posted:

Let's all start discussing how well the character choices fit to the Major Arcana they have been assigned to, because I do not know anything about them and am seriously legit curious.
Well, let's just start with 0 - The Fool. The Fool can be considered either the first or the last card of the Major Arcana depending on how you interpret it. It represents infinite possibility, but also represents lack of experience. In many tarot games, the Fool is a wild card.

Young Dave fits the concept perfectly. He has even explicitly acknowledged that he is going through the Hero's Journey archetypical concept, and the Fool often is used to represent that.

Blackfish
Sep 12, 2007

we have to be prepared to smoke a thousand joints before our quest is complete
Ugh I hope he sells those tarot cards on the store, I don't have that kind of money :negative:

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Oh man, I really hope the deck and the tote bag wind up in the store. I don't wanna switch from my Snoutpak but I REEEEAAALLY want that tote bag.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

JT Jag posted:

Well, let's just start with 0 - The Fool. The Fool can be considered either the first or the last card of the Major Arcana depending on how you interpret it. It represents infinite possibility, but also represents lack of experience. In many tarot games, the Fool is a wild card.

Young Dave fits the concept perfectly. He has even explicitly acknowledged that he is going through the Hero's Journey archetypical concept, and the Fool often is used to represent that.

Tell me more, please! :allears:

(this is not sarcasm)

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

CidGregor posted:

Well, the ones like Lovers, Empress, Magician, Death, and Devil are pretty obvious choices. Terezi as Justice is pretty obvious, too (I laughed).

But Gamzee and Kanaya as Strength....what's up with that?

Edit: Oh, I see, it matches typical Strength card art: Gamzee is a lion, and Kanaya represents a woman, gentle yet dominant over the lion.

Color Printer fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Sep 17, 2012

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

JT Jag posted:

I really liked the four God Tier kids as The World - it made me kinda retrospectively wish The Fool had been the four kids prior to the start of the game.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

JT Jag posted:

If someone told me that there was a significant overlap in MSPA fans and Persona fans I wouldn't be that surprised.

See, that's the thing--I've played like 20min, at most, of Persona 2, and that's it. I just think tarot is neat. I love reading things like the comparison of books in the Dresden Files to the sequence of the Major Arcana, for example. I'm superstitious as poo poo, but the only form of fortunetelling I don't scoff at is tarot. Not so much because I believe in it, I think, but rather because of the inherent element of storytelling, an art form I have an insane amount of respect for, necessary in tarot readings.

of bees
Dec 28, 2009

Color Printer posted:

Well, the ones like Lovers, Empress, Magician, Death, and Devil are pretty obvious choices. Terezi as Justice is pretty obvious, too (I laughed).

But Gamzee and Kanaya as Strength....what's up with that?

This is a C+P of what one of my friends had to say about it:

quote:

G: i think the tower should have been lord english though
G: and that death should have been the scene where john has all those babies around
G: the tower usually means absolute disaster, the worst card to draw in the deck
G: death is about change
G: or death should have been the scratched mesa
G: because death is 'fresh change'
G: and lol the devil should have been doc scratch rather than jack
G: since the devil is pure temptation
G: and jack just likes to stab things and wants challenge, not tempt everyone to gently caress all the poo poo over

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Oh god noooooo my money :smith:

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
The one pick for the major arcana I don't quite get is the Tower. I always had a fondness for the Tower because of its meaning: Everything else could have multiple symbolic meanings, but Tower is pretty simple. Tower is 'oh, poo poo'.

There's a lot of moments that could suit that in Homestuck (personally I'd go for Bec being prototyped), but I wouldn't say the ectobiology session fits.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Look behind John though.

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

Some of the ones I think I get (disclaimer: I know nothing about tarot that the internet cannot teach me, so I'm basically incompetent):

0, The Fool - Dave: The Fool represents inexperience and the search for growth. For Dave, who seems to have the most visible and straightforward character development of any of the main kids. Compare his lines about being a hero here versus in the latest walkaround:

Dave posted:

i think i might be "supposed" to kill him anyway?
thats the feeling i get like there are all these clues about that ive kinda noticed
so if i am THE GUY that needs to take him down then fine ill do that if and when i get hornswoggled into some big showdown with a ridiculous green space pimp or whatever he is
i dont know i think im not really cut out for the whole reluctant hero shtick
like the whole scene is so obvious and trite and i cant even tell if my reluctance is ironic or if im playing it straight
like ill wonder if im being reluctant enough to cut it or if im actually just being reluctant to be reluctant
it turns into like meta reluctance and then all i can think about is how loving stupid the whole thing is
i think im probably just too self aware for this hero bullshit so dont even waste your time on me

Which is, granted, in keeping with his old irony and detachment, but his acknowledgement of his own role is a new development. Apparently some traditions also interpret the Fool as the protagonist of a story the Tarot tells (and no not just the Persona tradition geez), so that might provide some insight on how Hussie views the story.

IV, The Emperor - Equius: The Emperor represents the old order, conservatism, and strength. It can also mean stagnation and failure due to overadherence to strict rules. If that isn't Equius I don't know what is.

VII, The Chariot - Eridan: The Chariot represents struggle, conflict, and also brute strength. If anyone tried to brute strength their way through their problems, it was Eridan (LOWAA, for example).

XIII, Death - Lord English: Doesn't represent death necessarily, but instead a passing away of the old and a change to something new. Fits Lord English by name alone, but also from the way he apparently broke the system of SBURB to make himself a god.

XVI, The Tower - John and Ectobabies: The Tower represents a sudden, shocking change, potentially hugely destructive. I don't really remember this part of the comic, but I seem to recall "oh hey you are actually a timeloop paradox clone that you yourself had a hand in creating" was a pretty significant development.

edit: I guess maybe the choice on Lord English and the Ectobabies has to do with the nature and speed of the development? Lord English's role was, from the point of view of the reader, something that slowly revealed itself over the course of the comic, and even in-universe doesn't represent a new change ("He is already here.") Most of the characters don't even know why he matters yet, if I recall correctly.

The Ectobabies thing, on the other hand, qualifies as a sudden, shocking revelation for John, that changed the way he viewed the world and himself fundamentally.

Valentin fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Sep 17, 2012

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

of bees posted:

This is a C+P of what one of my friends had to say about it:
Shows what I know about tarot cards! :v: Very enlightening, though.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
Oh my god those tarots. How does Hussie just keep finding awesome rewards like that.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm pretty sure the Reckoning was supposed to be a pretty "OH poo poo" moment.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Tollymain posted:

Look behind John though.

...Okay, you win.

H.R. Hufflepuff
Aug 5, 2005
The worst of all worlds
Fine, Hussie. I was probably just going to spend that money on frivlous things like food anyways.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

I like the choice of Egbert for the Hanged Man, for the most part. Kind of mimics when he attained god tier. Though, I don't think it suits his personality so much as his role in the story. Maybe it's also an allusion to him being the first kid to enter the medium, but I'm not sure.

Its been a long time since I've really known anything about tarot meanings. I'm better at remembering the minor arcana anyways.

I really like Eridan in the three of swords... actually pretty much the entire suit. Especially the nine of swords.

EDIT: Also like the fact that there's corresponding carapace people in the royality in the minor arcana. Especially considering that Hearts/Cups, Wands/Clubs, Swords/Spades and Pentacles/Diamonds and how often regular card suits come up. :v:

Jyrraeth fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Sep 17, 2012

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
:geno: There's 1 2 1 0 SNOUTPAKs left. :geno:

MJeff fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Sep 17, 2012

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style
Okay before I pay 130 bucks for a deck of playing cards to 150 bucks for a deck of witchery, does the Midnight Crew deck have the Crew as facecards and the like? Can I expect it to be like the New Vegas preorder deck?
Edit: oh my god that tarot deck is so pretty

Ominous Jazz fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Sep 17, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Walliard
Dec 29, 2010

Oppan Windfall Style

Cleretic posted:

EDIT: I swear I recognize the artstyle for the Death card. Who did that?

Hussie himself, apparently. The project was started over a year ago, so he would've been the only one who knew what English looked like.

Okay, seems I was mistaken and it was Jonathan Griffiths.

Walliard fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Sep 17, 2012