Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

The laws of the fiesta mean nothing!

The White Dragon posted:

Cecil smokes a ton of weed with Edge and becomes the Green Knight, his special attack is a lot like Darkness except instead of evil, he blows out waves of marijuana smoke (it inflicts confusion on unintelligent monsters, but makes intelligent enemies friendly and leave combat). The story remains largely the same until the final battle where you just have a smokeout with Zemus and everyone becomes friends.

Isn't this the ending to Yellow Submarine?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

To me, FFIV has a bunch of cool little moments/scenes which really stand out versus the bland narrative as a whole and that's what makes it memorable.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Harlock posted:

To me, FFIV has a bunch of cool little moments/scenes which really stand out versus the bland narrative as a whole and that's what makes it memorable.

Yeah 4 is probably my third favorite FF but every time I replay it I get to a given scene and end up thinking "Wait I thought this happened earlier/later?" and I realized it's because while there's a lot of individual scenes that are really fun and memorable, the overarching story is so dull I cannot remember how they piece together.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

Cecil becoming a Paladin in FF4 was revelatory. It's like, "Oh my god, he's actually a PERSON and has crazy blue hair!"

Also, Attacking When Its Tail Is Up is a video game rite of passage. Never mind that those who played FF4 and 6 had first bosses with the exact same kind of gimmick and you really should have seen that coming.

Bear Sleuth
Jul 17, 2011

IV through VII all had first bosses that taught you ATB, I wonder why they dropped it. VIII's first boss just teaches you that the game is obtuse as gently caress and full of stupid systems (don't hate, I like VIII but the closer you are to 00:00 gets you a better SeeD rank? :psyduck:) and all IX's teaches is that Vivi and Stiener can buddy up to gently caress poo poo right.

I can't even recall what X's first boss is it comes so late. Is it Chocobo Eater? I guess it's a good preamble for lightning and butterflies later because it's unlikely you won't get pushed off the first time.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Isn't X's first boss that thing that Meg Ryan and Rikku fight underwater?

Bear Sleuth
Jul 17, 2011

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh right.

"Swim around and throw grenades." I guess the lesson is action commands, as often as those come up.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Beaumains posted:

:colbert: How's that solo Cecil challenge coming, mister?

I think I got bored and stopped at...Barbariccia? Now that I've been called out on it, though, maybe I'll resume it.

Pasteurized Milk posted:

But how could he be with Rosa then?

He was already banging Rosa before the game even begins. She doesn't even bat an eye when she sees the new him, though the first time they reunite post class-change involved a giant sickle/ball about to fall on her. She's not picky about looks.

Cecil becoming a Paladin is a pretty awesome turning point in FF4's story. You just had your entire party's poo poo wrecked by a massive sea monster and end up alone at the town you just invaded, where everyone hates your guts. Then you climb this mountain where your attacks can't do poo poo against the monsters, thus forcing you to rely on two five-year-old kids and an old man. Then you fight this evil lich of death or whatever and push him off a bridge.

You go to this rock, and some voice suddenly starts talking and calls you son. Then you have to beat your dark side by defending, because a Paladin protects his allies because that's the good thing to do. After doing this, Cecil learns to embrace the light side and is reborn as a Paladin. Also, Tellah learns most of his old spells as well as loving Meteo.

All those monsters Cecil couldn't kill before? Despite being L1, he can completely wreck their poo poo now with his holy sword. Cecil's now a complete badass on this mountain, gaining levels like crazy and learning all sorts of magic (until you realize he can only learn six loving spells). With Cecil's new class change, he's even more powerful now than as a Dark Knight, as evidenced by his much larger HP pool and his wrecking the undead.

Of course, it's the gameplay mechanics being set-up to make you think Paladin Cecil's a bigger badass. Fill a mountain with undead! Start Cecil at L1 to make it look like he's now gaining strength like crazy! Give him more HP to start with than his Dark Knight self can realistically reach at that point in the game! That instant death sword would sure be useful to instantly kill enemies after you continue the plot.

The point is, this game really knows how to sell its admittedly mediocre story. It does a great job reinforcing key plot points with its gameplay mechanics, something people complain many games don't do. Hell, I can't really think of a game that does it better than FF4. That's part of why I always maintain that FF4 has one of the best "well-told" stories in gaming. It's simple, but the process is just so drat effective.

I'll stop before this thing gets even lengthier.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.
FFX's first boss is Sinspawn Ammes, to teach you about overdrives. Which can't actually kill you, since it only uses Demi.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
12's first boss was that fire horse, which taught you... gently caress if I know.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Momomo posted:

12's first boss was that fire horse, which taught you... gently caress if I know.

"If you meet a version of an animal that is on fire it wants to kill you."

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Bear Sleuth posted:

IV through VII all had first bosses that taught you ATB, I wonder why they dropped it.

Probably because it was really just a gimmick and people were figuring that out by now. The ATB system never really again demands that kind of attention and entering commands as soon as your turn comes up never really works any better or worse than a "traditional" turn based system.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

RagnarokAngel posted:

Probably because it was really just a gimmick and people were figuring that out by now. The ATB system never really again demands that kind of attention and entering commands as soon as your turn comes up never really works any better or worse than a "traditional" turn based system.

Well, it gets a lot worse once attack animations get long enough (see: FF9). Once Square decided they needed spells with lensflares and poo poo they needed to get past ATB.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Speaking of IV I am right where I get to the moon and I stopped there like a month ago because holy gently caress am I sick of constant dungeons and uninteresting crap. Please tell me that this one cave is the last one so that I can move on to something better.

In happier topics, what're people's opinions on The Black Mages? I found my old MP3 collection of them and started listening to all of it, but now I'm worried that liking them makes me a loser. Help.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
The Moon doesn't really have a dungeon (the first time around anyway), but you're two (big) dungeons away from the end now.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Pollyanna posted:

In happier topics, what're people's opinions on The Black Mages? I found my old MP3 collection of them and started listening to all of it, but now I'm worried that liking them makes me a loser. Help.

They made a pretty rocking version of Clash on the Big Bridge, so they're good in my book.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Sex_Ferguson posted:

They made a pretty rocking version of Clash on the Big Bridge, so they're good in my book.

I forgot about this. Any and all shame has been eliminated.

edit holy poo poo http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5TMMP4uOYE

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Sep 17, 2012

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Don't care what anyone says, The Skies Above is awesome.

I also think that their version of One-Winged Angel is the only version that makes the song worth the hype.

On a less happy note, I didn't like what they did to Battle with Seymour.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

NikkolasKing posted:

Don't care what anyone says, The Skies Above is awesome.

I'd like to hear a version where the singer has a less heavy accent. It does get a bit incomprehensible at times, but goddamn if I don't like that :allears:

"How could I say, she was miiiiiiiiiiIIIIIINNNNE!"

I like their version of The Extreme, KURAYAMINOKUMO (Cloud of Darkness' Battle), Premonition, etc.

If I had to say which I dislike, it'd be their cover of the Opera from FFVI. I prefer the Distant Worlds version, especially at the part where the two male singers sing in unison.
"Maria! Maria! I LOVE you SOOOOOOOOOOOOO!"

Makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand on end.

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]

NikkolasKing posted:

On a less happy note, I didn't like what they did to Battle with Seymour.

That's because it's the best FF song of all time and any remixes of it seem to pale in comparison to the original. Uematsu needs to win some sort of JRPG Grammy for that one. At least, I think it was Uematsu and not one of the other composers?

This one has always been my favorite remix of a FF song:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hcfuRiPm_s

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Pesky Splinter posted:

I prefer the Distant Worlds version, especially at the part where the two male singers sing in unison.

Makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand on end.

And now with glorious 1080p sprites to go with it.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Cardboard Fox posted:

That's because it's the best FF song of all time and any remixes of it seem to pale in comparison to the original.

This is absolutely true.

quote:

Uematsu needs to win some sort of JRPG Grammy for that one. At least, I think it was Uematsu and not one of the other composers?

I was wondering that as well.

Anyway, I have FFVI Anthology. (I forget if I talked about this already) This will be my first real playthrough of this legendary game.
And if you're wondering, I got the Anthology version because I lack a GBA, a SNES or a Wii. Also I felt this game deserved me spending money on it so I didn't just emulate.

I've never cared about load times. If the story, characters, music and gameplay are good, load times won't mean a thing. I am very curious to see if this game can live up to the hype.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Loving Life Partner posted:

Come on, we all tried to play FF1 when we were 6 or so and thought just buying poo poo in the shop equipped it and the game became like too hard at the pirate part and we said "gently caress THIS poo poo!" and went back to Mario 3.

This. This was me. Except my reasoning back then was "I'M JUST NOT LEVELED ENOUGH!" and would just level up more and I got all the way past the Elf Kingdom dungeon before I accidentally double clicked on a piece of equipment and promptly went "What the gently caress does the E beside it mea.....Ohhhhhhhhhhhh"

It became a way easier game after that.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

On to FFXII IZJS talk. With the job system I'm using some of the more weirder edge case techniks that I didn't really bother with before.

Horology is pretty handy for hitting flying enemies when you can't just switch to a ranged weapon. Sure, once Basch gets his hand-bombs I won't use it. But it's handy now.

Beaumains
Aug 8, 2007
HURFDURF scary stories are dumb, I'm so cool i lack even the rudimentary analytical abilities to decipher basic themes and archetypes, anything without fast cars and explosions is for babbies, heh im so goddamn tough and grown up :smug:

Mega64 posted:

You go to this rock, and some voice suddenly starts talking and calls you son. Then you have to beat your dark side by defending, because a Paladin protects his allies because that's the good thing to do. After doing this, Cecil learns to embrace the light side and is reborn as a Paladin.

I think I said this during your LP, but hell I'll say it again cuz why not. I always thought the point of Cecil not attacking his Dark Knight self was that it's a gesture of self-forgiveness. He has a scene or two where he hates on himself for all that murdering-innocent-mages stuff and this seems like the conclusion to that (he never doubts himself like that again for one thing).

Also, forgiveness even for those who have committed atrocities, specifically FROM Cecil, is kind of a theme in the game, and it starts at Mt. Ordeals with him forgiving himself and goes on to Kain and then even to Golbez. The final boss is even a literal embodiment of hate, so having the Chosen Guy To Kick Its rear end be defined by his ability to forgive is subtly appropriate.

But uh, yeah. It's deep poo poo, man :v:

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Pesky Splinter posted:

If I had to say which I dislike, it'd be their cover of the Opera from FFVI. I prefer the Distant Worlds version, especially at the part where the two male singers sing in unison.
I actually like this version best, but that's because--and this is telling of my shameful weabo past--it's fun and equally powerful, regardless of the language, when you understand what they're saying.

Idioteque Dance
Jun 19, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

Loving Life Partner posted:

I was pretty thrilled with my bulletproof "steal from every enemy in the group" gambit, even if it was the most ugly way of doing it.

Did anyone come up with a more elegant way to do it than having Vaan steal from enemies with 100% health and having someone right behind attack them so he continued to the next target until they were all damaged?
Not elegant, but using 1. Enemy: HP < 70%: Attack -- 2. Party Leader's Target: Steal only uses 2 gambits and is more than effective enough for me to keep using. It may not work say 10% of the time but I'm fine putting up with that, rather than using loads of gambits or spending time going through the battle menus. I'll try your way too, though.

In fact I'm pretty glad of how well I've used the gambits so far - I go through entire areas without using the battle menus and also have everyone always on protect/regen since getting my WM (Balthier :smug:) the ring that halves MP use.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Cardboard Fox posted:

This one has always been my favorite remix of a FF song:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hcfuRiPm_s

Are you familiar with housethegrate? Very high quality remixes. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jq6L_pFupEA Ignore the OCR stuff, this kicks rear end and is not what you'd expect from the site. Live guitar playing, for one.

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

Are you familiar with housethegrate? Very high quality remixes. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jq6L_pFupEA Ignore the OCR stuff, this kicks rear end and is not what you'd expect from the site. Live guitar playing, for one.

No, I'm not. I just figured most of OCR was horrible since I could count on 1 hand the number of remixes by them I actually like. Good to know there are some remixers there that are high quality.

I actually have no idea who did the VI remix I linked above. :iiam:

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
So I've been playing V some, is Thief a job I should be using? I've gotten a few cool things, but 90% of the time Galuf is failing to steal anything at all, and bosses don't seem to have anything.

Also, I never expected a little girl to be so good with her fists, but Monk Leene is like my strongest character.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Dr Pepper posted:

On to FFXII IZJS talk. With the job system I'm using some of the more weirder edge case techniks that I didn't really bother with before.

Horology is pretty handy for hitting flying enemies when you can't just switch to a ranged weapon. Sure, once Basch gets his hand-bombs I won't use it. But it's handy now.

That's silly, hand-bombs are absolutely useless.

On another note, I still think FFIII (DS) was the hardest to actually beat without grinding. I remember the first time I beat it I was using a gimmick team of Bard/Bard/Ranger/Devout. Requiem is a beautiful thing when it deals tens of thousands of damage at the start of the battle.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Momomo posted:

So I've been playing V some, is Thief a job I should be using? I've gotten a few cool things, but 90% of the time Galuf is failing to steal anything at all, and bosses don't seem to have anything.

Also, I never expected a little girl to be so good with her fists, but Monk Leene is like my strongest character.
Thief does have the highest Agility to grant to the Freelancer, so it's worth mastering it, but in my experience more in the long run. I usually just grab Find Passages, stick that on another job - hidden passages often do lead to something good - and hold off on mastering the job until the later parts of the game when AP are abundant and the more useful classes are mastered. But I rarely bother with stealing in FF games.

Monks are very good, you should master monks with all your melee fighters if possible. Counter alone makes it worthwhile and the stat increases are nothing to be scoffed at.

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I'm not here to fuck spiders!

It might be worth it to look up what monsters have something worth stealing, a lot of enemies carry potions or other things that aren't really worth the time. There are a few enemies, especially towards the end of the game, that have really nice equipment you can steal, but they're pretty rare.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Momomo posted:

Here's how stealing in FFV works:

1. The default success rate to steal is always 40%.
2. The game checks to see if the person stealing has the Thief's Glove equipped. If they do, then the rate to steal is doubled to 80%.
3. The game generates a number between 0 and 99. If that number is less than your Steal % chance, then the steal attempt succeeds.
4. The game checks to see which of the monster's two item slots you stole. It generates a number between 0 and 255. If the number is 10 or lower, you get the Rare item. If it's between 11 and 255, you get the Common item.

The catch here is that some monsters will have a Rare item, but not a Common one. Zuus near Karnak, for example, have Elixirs in their Rare slot, but no Common item. Since the game checks second to see which item you stole, it's possible to succeed on your attempt to steal (the first check), but not actually steal the Rare item if that's all they have (the second check).

That said, if the monster doesn't have any items at all (or if you already successfully stole from it), it'll straight up tell you when you make a steal attempt.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Cardboard Fox posted:

No, I'm not. I just figured most of OCR was horrible since I could count on 1 hand the number of remixes by them I actually like. Good to know there are some remixers there that are high quality.

I actually have no idea who did the VI remix I linked above. :iiam:

It's a dark path to go down, fraught with peril and bad trance covers. The Dwelling of Duels community used to put out amazing covers back when I followed it in 05-07. House's brother Ashane has some good tracks (Red Cap Assault), goat is the man for Castlevania music, and... I could go on all day.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
Everyone knows OCR is full of self-important poseurs, real men remix for OLR :colbert:

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

Man, this discussion just reinforces that Cecil's redemption is pretty much the pinnacle (hurr) of any character bit in any rpg (I love 6 with all my soul, but gently caress, Mt Ordeals man).

Also

quote:

Come on, we all tried to play FF1 when we were 6 or so and thought just buying poo poo in the shop equipped it and the game became like too hard at the pirate part and we said "gently caress THIS poo poo!" and went back to Mario 3.

How the gently caress did you know this. HOW.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

ApplesandOranges posted:

Why would they be useless?

They're a ranged attack, and like every other ranged weapon the ammunition usually gives a good status effect bonus.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

ApplesandOranges posted:

They're really not that bad. I don't remember where, but I got one of the best handbombs and bomb ammo that causes Stop relatively early in my last IZJS run without even going out of my way. It's a bit weaker than the melee weapons you can get, but between the added status effect and not having to worry about fliers, they're not bad at all. The biggest reason I didn't just use them all the time was because you give up a shield. Still, I'd use them over Horology any day in areas with fliers. Edit: Especially since my Breaker was always berserked and thus won't be using Horology anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Why would you Berserk your breaker when he could be using the awesome break skills?