Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

nm posted:

Yes, rear fire is standard in a Lamborghini. Problem is that they installed the optional front fire on some models.
That's why they did the rear-fire-only Valentino Balburni edition, for the purists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

KozmoNaut posted:

When in doubt, poke with a stick.

Thanks a lot, rear end in a top hat. I tried that miracle-trick of yours at an apparently abandoned wasp hive I found in my front-yard. You owe me $2 worth of antihistamines.

Bad Advise. D-minus!!!! Will NOT poke with sticks again!

Best answer to a bulking tire like that is to shoot it from a safe distance with a .22LR. Try to avoid hitting brake lines or your wire harness. A .22LR is able to maybe just penetrate both sidewalls, but not much more.

Eagerly awaiting stories about people being almost killed by my advise, because "that murderous round was still bouncing around in the tire when I removed it"

Sir Cornelius fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Sep 16, 2012

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Hell, tack weld a nail on the end of a long piece of pipe and jab that sucker with it. Wear ear protection.

Problem solved.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

kastein posted:

Hell, tack weld a nail on the end of a long piece of pipe and jab that sucker with it. Wear ear and eye protection.

Problem solved.
Please do not put your eyes out deflating a badly deformed tyre. Or if you do, make sure your buddy is filming it.

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

Memento1979 posted:

Please do not put your eyes out deflating a badly deformed tyre. Or if you do, make sure your buddy is filming it.

Remind me why unthreading the valve center or clipping the tip of the valve aren't viable options again. There's a great .gif of someone coming to grief in a big way staking a tyre.

What I like most about the tyre blister is that the wheel and tyre is still on the car. Whoever owned that car saw the blister (or, worse, felt the car lurching around like it was booted) and thought "I'd better drive this, in this state, to the tyre shop; use the spare? Naaa, she'll be right".

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

My diff pin blew through the case back in may, apparently it's an extremely uncommon thing that happens (IE the cobalt ss, ion redline, and 9-3 aero dudes had never seen it before on our transmissions)

spider gears trapped the half shaft in the diff:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Tusen Takk posted:

My diff pin blew through the case back in may, apparently it's an extremely uncommon thing that happens

Not dumping the clutch will go a long way toward preventing this.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Tusen Takk posted:

My diff pin blew through the case back in may, apparently it's an extremely uncommon thing

Mazda's FWD transmissions have been doing that's since the early 90s. :v:

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

Falkenbok posted:

Remind me why unthreading the valve center or clipping the tip of the valve aren't viable options again.

Mostly because unlike shooting it, which you can do from behind sandbags, dicking with the valve involves time spent standing next to the bomb.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

some texas redneck posted:

Not dumping the clutch will go a long way toward preventing this.

I didn't though, the diff had been feeling really loose and it was hard to drive, I was going to take it apart when I got back from school. I pulled out of a gas station and was only at around 2500-3000rpm when it exploded all over the centre lane. I had bought it used so I assume the idiot that had it before me was either too lazy to fix it or that's why he sold it for as cheap as he did.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde
I showed the 3 pictures of the tire bulges from this thread to tire guys I know. They both swear the two largest most recent pics are impossibly large and more likely photo shopped.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Did you tell them the one I posted was a defective recap?

I know the guy who took that picture and trust him. It was a treadwright he had recently installed and was happy with till a defect in the recap and an undetected leak in the tire carcass resulted in that massive egg. They sent him another one free of charge.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Splizwarf posted:

Mostly because unlike shooting it, which you can do from behind sandbags, dicking with the valve involves time spent standing next to the bomb.

Why not simply use a hose that vents to atmosphere to reduce the pressure in the tire to ambient? If they were just driving on it reducing the pressure difference isn't going to make it worse.

BeastPussy
Jul 15, 2003

im so mumped up lmao

Splizwarf posted:

If its just sitting there posing for pictures like that you should be perfectly safe in removing the valve core.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

Bang Me Please posted:

If its just sitting there posing for pictures like that you should be perfectly safe in removing the valve core.

B.b.b.b.but the dramatic change in pressure make cause it to become weaker!

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
If the bomb is just sitting there, it's probably not going to go off. Come on guys.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
The ticking bomb analogy is pretty weak. Stop trying to find excuses to shoot stuff at the shop.

charliemonster42
Sep 14, 2005

Sockington posted:

Mazda's FWD transmissions have been doing that's since the early 90s. :v:

And VW's have since the early 80s. :v:

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

(tilt your head to the left. Stupid phone)

Found the clunk in my rear suspension.

Root Bear
Nov 15, 2004

DARKEST SKETCH

PhotoKirk posted:

(tilt your head to the left. Stupid phone)

Found the clunk in my rear suspension.

Stabilizer link, I presume?

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

Root Bear posted:

Stabilizer link, I presume?

Yup. The bushing is GONE.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

It's a Kawasaki 2-stroke JetSki. Customer: I don't know, suddenly I lost all power.
I didn't find any actual cause. Sometimes cast pistons just crumble. Unfortunately, some of those missing pieces are likely in the crank bearings now. I suggested an engine replacement.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

No pictures, but an Explorer came into my shop today for an alignment. Had a few minor things, loose front wheel bearings, grooved rotors, etc. There were a few oddball things, though.

Like the front sway bar link that had rusted from inside out and split open along its length.

Or the left rear coil spring, which was rusted about halfway through the bottom coil.

Or the RIGHT rear spring, which looked fine until I realized that same bottom coil had rusted completely through and broken off -- it was wedged between the strut and the lower control arm.

Needless to say, we didn't do the alignment.

E: I should mention this was a 10-year-old Florida vehicle. No road salt to explain the rust.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Plenty of air salt though.

velocross
Sep 16, 2007

Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco

TotalLossBrain posted:

It's a Kawasaki 2-stroke JetSki. Customer: I don't know, suddenly I lost all power.
I didn't find any actual cause. Sometimes cast pistons just crumble. Unfortunately, some of those missing pieces are likely in the crank bearings now. I suggested an engine replacement.

That's awesome to see (not for the owner). Do those motors use an oiling system or are they premixed? Sure is weird how the piston next to it looks so normal. Some kind of cooling problem maybe? I'd love to see more pics if you got any.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
They are typically oil injected, I.e. there is a crank driven oil pump supplying oil to each intake manifold runner. I'll take some more pics when I swap out the engine. Those motors have a hard life. Almost all wot operation, poor quality gas, little warmup, water ingestion. I have plenty more pics of spectacular failures.
I'm a fan though -I ride a custom carbon hull standup with a billet 1000cc twin cylinder. Capable of flatwater backflips. About 180 HP and 250lbs fueled up ready to go. Maybe I should make a thread, but I'm not sure it really fits "automotive" insanity.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

TotalLossBrain posted:

They are typically oil injected, I.e. there is a crank driven oil pump supplying oil to each intake manifold runner. I'll take some more pics when I swap out the engine. Those motors have a hard life. Almost all wot operation, poor quality gas, little warmup, water ingestion. I have plenty more pics of spectacular failures.
I'm a fan though -I ride a custom carbon hull standup with a billet 1000cc twin cylinder. Capable of flatwater backflips. About 180 HP and 250lbs fueled up ready to go. Maybe I should make a thread, but I'm not sure it really fits "automotive" insanity.

You have a water toy that has a nearly 1:1 hp/weight ratio and you don't think it's AI.

Shame on you, post a thread.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Alright, I'll work on it.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

EightBit posted:

You have a water toy that has a nearly 1:1 hp/weight ratio and you don't think it's AI.

Shame on you, post a thread.

What he said. I want to see this thing.

greenman100
Aug 13, 2006

TotalLossBrain posted:

About 180 HP and 250lbs fueled up ready to go.

I doubt that very much, short of forced induction and/or nitrous. The former is not going to put you at 250lbs wet, the latter is not continuous so 180HP is misleading.

180HP/L is knocking on the door of early '90s Formula 1 numbers. Its really tough to do, since jet pumps limit you to about 8k RPM.

greenman100 fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Sep 19, 2012

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Do you want a hupyrolysege slcorpselong?
If it's a 2-stroke, it's quite believable.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
I want to see that. A friend has a supercharged seadoo that's ~200hp. It's totally ridiculous, I don't know the acceleration numbers but it feels like you're immediately going 70 the moment you squeeze the throttle.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

I want to see that. A friend has a supercharged seadoo that's ~200hp. It's totally ridiculous, I don't know the acceleration numbers but it feels like you're immediately going 70 the moment you squeeze the throttle.

Those Seadoo motors are four strokes and while they put out nice power, they overall feel weak compared to a light standup with 1000cc or more

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

greenman100 posted:

I doubt that very much, short of forced induction and/or nitrous. The former is not going to put you at 250lbs wet, the latter is not continuous so 180HP is misleading.

180HP/L is knocking on the door of early '90s Formula 1 numbers. Its really tough to do, since jet pumps limit you to about 8k RPM.

You should see what they do the snowmobiles if you doubt that. Granted they are FI but there are quite a few 500hp 2T sleds out there.

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

Dietrich posted:

Pretty sure an exhaust is not supposed to do that.

gently caress.

Update on this- APR is giving me a new downpipe. So hooray for them!

Savington
Apr 9, 2007
I'm not Stinkmeister, this title is here so waar can tell the difference between Stinkmeister and myself in mafia games.

TotalLossBrain posted:

Capable of flatwater backflips.

What? :monocle:

I need video proof of this for my own amusement.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBig1gI50UI

I've gotten better since then (early April). I now ride them out and am working on two in a row.
Also, made a new thread!

the chic in psychic
Jun 18, 2005
U r Stinky Mcbutt mkay?

TotalLossBrain posted:

I've gotten better since then (early April). I now ride them out and am working on two in a row.
Also, made a new thread!

Welp, thats it, im selling the boat and buying an jetski instead

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

TotalLossBrain posted:

Also, made a new thread!

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck. That looks ridiculously fun!

greenman100 posted:

My 2000 R6 was 600cc and 120HP. 200HP / l. 12 years ago, with carbs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greenman100
Aug 13, 2006

sofullofhate posted:

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck. That looks ridiculously fun!

My 2000 R6 was 600cc and 120HP. 200HP / l. 12 years ago, with carbs.

Your R6 made that HP at ~14-15k RPM. That's not practical in a jet pump. Down at 8k RPM, you were making 50HP.