Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The Ace of Sord... is obviously the best one.

Many of the illustrations in the minor arcana are variants on Rider-Waite, explaining why they might not necessarily fit anything that happened in the story.

Doc Scratch as the Magician makes sense even though he's more literally a diabolical sort of figure, because of his omniscient and manipulative nature. Jack Noir as Devil fits better, because the Devil in tarot refers more to concepts related to indulgence, repression, and worldly things, which has a clear connection to his unfathomable bloodlust, canine proclivities, and otherwise wild nature. Lord English as Death makes a certain amount of sense within the fiction, because the Alternian concept of the mythological figure of Death does in fact refer directly to Lord English.

One thing I don't get is Gamzee as The Moon. Somebody riddle me that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Bongo Bill posted:

The Ace of Sord... is obviously the best one.

Many of the illustrations in the minor arcana are variants on Rider-Waite, explaining why they might not necessarily fit anything that happened in the story.

Doc Scratch as the Magician makes sense even though he's more literally a diabolical sort of figure, because of his omniscient and manipulative nature. Jack Noir as Devil fits better, because the Devil in tarot refers more to concepts related to indulgence, repression, and worldly things, which has a clear connection to his unfathomable bloodlust, canine proclivities, and otherwise wild nature. Lord English as Death makes a certain amount of sense within the fiction, because the Alternian concept of the mythological figure of Death does in fact refer directly to Lord English.

One thing I don't get is Gamzee as The Moon. Somebody riddle me that.
The Moon is sometimes associated with nightmares. Maybe that's it. I'm guessing they were thinking about the connotations with imagination and fear when they gave that one to him. It's one of the weaker associations, though.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I'm pretty sure the Moon is all about illusion, doubt, dreaming and deception. That actually sounds like a pretty decent fit to me.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Oh no even the back of the tarot deck is amazing :(

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Okay, I don't know much about tarot cards, but looking at Preview 3...Shouldn't the World be XXI, not XI?

Hopefully they're not already printed...

edit: Am I still allowed to laugh that the "Ace of Cups" is Nepeta and her shipping wall?

Sweet As Sin
May 8, 2007

Hee-ho!!!

Grimey Drawer
Jesus I'm so going to spend my payment on tattoos and Homestuck tarot. Really.

I need to re-evaluate my life.

I'm disappointed on Gamzee as the moon. Should have been Feferi or Meenah...

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.
I will not spend one hundred and fifty five dollars on tarot cards.
I will not spend one hundred and fifty five dollars on tarot cards.

nthing the hope that these show up in the store at some stage because I really want them.

:smith:

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
All this merch is giving me portentous visions of a future where scalemates are stocked next to the stuffed GIRs at hot topic. I am unsure how to feel about this prospect.

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Personally I'm pretty impressed they didn't have Sollux for the two of everything and only used Vriska on an eight card once.

UltraPenguinX
Mar 23, 2009

TC: hOnK hOnK iM a MoThErFuCkInG sEaL :o)
You attempt to resist the urge to upgrade your pledge to the SEERPAK.

You fail miserably.

(seriously how loving awesome are those tarot cards?)

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Why is there no option for GAMEPAK 2 + SEERPAK?

I'd upgrade to $230 in a heartbeat if I could get a disc with it. I guess I could just do that anyway and buy my own copy at launch? :sigh:

gently caress.

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light
The only option where you can get the snoutpak and seerpak together is the $600 option that includes all the paks (or the ones above that but no). This makes me sadder than I have any right to feel.

(BUT THEN I COULD PLEDGE $612!)

(I am not going to pledge that much)

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
God loving dammit, Hussie. I am seriously considering upping my pledge so that I can get the SEERPAK and SLICKPAK.

Gog

Fucknig

Dammit.

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

Ta gueule, laisse-moi finir.
Jesus christ, that deck is beautiful. What a great way of showing off some of the incredible fanart the comic has spawned.

Here's a list of all the artists who participated and what they drew.
http://villainsgoleft.tumblr.com/post/31718501392

treasured8elief
Jul 25, 2011

Salad Prong
Oh my god tarot cards

:sigh: I'm so so sorry, bank account, I need a plushie AND cards. Also need better priorities in life because holy poo poo I'm dropping 600 dollars for a plushie, some cards and a(hopefully) :krad: game.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Nate RFB posted:

I think it's interesting that John is bringing up their quests. I'm hoping that they're not just brushed off, that we do see Rose for example "playing the rain" and all that junk.
Yeah, I'm glad that got brought up. I'd spent some time before that going "geez, John, if you're bored go talk to Typheus or something" but if all the Denizens have gone back to sleep then it puts that to bed.

Good to see it hasn't all been forgotten.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Goddamnit I'm going to end up dropping a shameful amount on all these goodies at some point, I just know it. No, please, Dolash, you need that money for food and alcohol!

That 605$ tier is the most deceptive one because if you happen to have a decent chunk of change in the bank account at the moment you can almost be like "hey, that's pretty good value for your money, I mean you get a lot of cool stuff and if you tighten your belt for a few months..." yet if anyone outside of Homestuck knew you burned six hundred dollars for a bunch of shirts and stickers and pins they would know to never let you near finances again.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Dolash posted:

if anyone outside of Homestuck knew you burned six hundred dollars for a bunch of shirts and stickers and pins they would know to never let you near finances again.

This, hilariously, ties in to the some of the younger Homestuck fans that have been posting comments on the kickstarter page like "My dad said if I raised my pledge again, he'd freeze my bank account. :("

Mister Gutsy
May 6, 2012

You love having a dead sister. Having a dead sister is an experience you would highly recommend to everybody.
:smug: Shirts? Plushies? Who cares about those things, I'm not wasting my hard-earned money on some webcomic kickstarter!

...And then those gorgeous tarot cards show up. You win this round, Hussie.

Prygelknabe
Mar 31, 2009

He had a baseball bat, and I was tied to a chair. Pissing him off was the smart thing to do.
Ugh, I want the Slickpak and Seerpak so bad, but can't possibly justify the cost :(
Maybe I got some aging relatives I can off for the inheritance..

Blood Nightmaster
Sep 6, 2011

“また遊んであげるわ!”
Oh my god. All I can say is that these things had better be in the WP shop by next year :( I can justify blowing 50 bucks on just the deck--which is a ton, even for tarot--but not 155 for the whole pack, as cool as it is. I'm worried it'll only be made for the kickstarter but there's no limited number of pledges for it so who knows!

Really as a huge tarot enthusiast the last piece of merchandise you'd expect from Homestuck would be a bonafide, offically released deck, so this is an extra treat on my end. (And apparently others, too? Had no idea there'd be interest in this sort of thing.)

Bobulus posted:

This, hilariously, ties in to the some of the younger Homestuck fans that have been posting comments on the kickstarter page like "My dad said if I raised my pledge again, he'd freeze my bank account. :("

Looks like even the people involved are trying to warn those same fans not to put themselves in debt over it. With the latest reward tiers though that seems to be getting harder and harder not to do :supaburn:

Alienwarez
Feb 9, 2004

I'm really glad these Seerpaks are causing instability with the Snoutpak backers (or so I assume) because I was able to grab one of the Snoutpaks that opened up, to the detriment of losing my Slickpak.

I really love the pins in the Slickpak though... But there is no way that I'm going to get both. No fuckin' way. No no no.

yes

Ayana
Jun 29, 2010

Hee-Ho!
Impaled Eridan as Ten of Swords is just so wow. I mean, Tower is a sudden, shocking, and possibly bad change, but Ten of Swords? That card means you're just gone and hosed, good sir.

God, this is making me want to find all of my books and dig them out of storage to relearn the meanings. And it's only $155! :sigh:

Lord of Laughton
Nov 11, 2008

It's hard to say for certain
But I think I like it here.
Coolness overload. :psyduck:

Enough is enough. I'm staying with my current pledge, and will make a separate WP in the future if this stuff gets on there. If that was a regular deck of playing cards, I don't think I would have been able to resist, though.

Pastrymancy
Feb 20, 2011

11:13: Despite Gio Gonzalez warning, "Never mix your sparkling juices," Bryce Harper opens another bottle of sparkling grape and mixes it with sparkling cider.

1:07: Harper walks to the 7-11 and orders an all-syrup Slurpee.

1:10-3:05: Harper has no recollection of this time. Aliens?
I'm still on my $15 pledge. :colbert:

That seerpak has me close to donating more, though. Terezi and Rose are my favorite characters.

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."
Oh god there's just too much cool poo poo, I can't resist it all.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Why the gently caress is Equius not on Strength? Strength is his strongest attribute.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Isn't Strength usually meant to depict a lion being tamed by a woman? It's kind of a reverse Equius-Nepata.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
gently caress dammit Hussie. I cannot possibly afford to spend all my money on your glorious tarot pack. Stupid university and their stupid mandatory textbooks.

Graceful Graveler
May 18, 2009
I want to give Hussie my money and I'm not even into tarot! :negative: The man is a business genius.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

Ayana posted:

Impaled Eridan as Ten of Swords is just so wow. I mean, Tower is a sudden, shocking, and possibly bad change, but Ten of Swords? That card means you're just gone and hosed, good sir.

God, this is making me want to find all of my books and dig them out of storage to relearn the meanings. And it's only $155! :sigh:

Man, this made me look up what it actually meant, and it fits Eridan so well that it's crazy.

"Some tarot site posted:

The Ten of Swords appears to be a card of terrible misfortune, but surprisingly, it often represents troubles that are more melodramatic than real. The man on this card has quite a few swords in his back. Wouldn't one be enough? Isn't ten a little excessive? Perhaps this gentleman's suffering - though sincere - is exaggerated as well.
[...]
This card can also show when you're in victim mentality. You're certain that the whole world is picking on you just to make your life difficult. I picture the man lifting his head and saying, "You think you've got it bad...a cut on the finger. I've got ten swords in my back...count 'em - ten!" Then he drops his head back down with a sigh. When we're in victim mentality, we think everything is horrible, hopeless and impossibly unfair.

Granted, the martyrdom stuff it mentions is a bit less fitting, but still.

Now i'm gonna have to look up every single card to see how they relate. Until today i didn't even know that all the minor arcana even mattered or anything. :v:

e: Holy poo poo, Six of Pentacles, the Sweet Bro & Hella Jeff card.

quote:

having/not having knowledge
teaching/learning
imparting/receiving information
becoming/finding a mentor
offering/taking advice
showing/being shown the ropes
knowing/not knowing a secret

This is the best fuckin' tarot deck ever.

Freak Futanari fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Sep 17, 2012

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

The Page of Wands fits Clubs Deuce/Courtyard Droll so much. :3: I'm amazed at how much a lot of the cards fit, even if some of them are a stretch or focus more on the traditional imagery of the card (like Strength).

drat it Hussie, can't I just get the game (and maybe the soundtrack), the Midnight Crew cards, the tarot card deck and nothing else? That is literally all I want :negative:

(okay, it's not everything I want, but I could live with just that)

EDIT: ^^^ I looked that up earlier because I was curious. I laughed. These cards are amazing.

Prygelknabe
Mar 31, 2009

He had a baseball bat, and I was tied to a chair. Pissing him off was the smart thing to do.
And I've just pledged myself for the Slickpak + Seerpak, because I have no self-control when it comes to awesome things :negative:

Probably gonna be the best christmas present I get though.

Androc
Dec 26, 2008

I have to say, I really like The Hanged Man for the way it manages to reference the original art while still being subtle about it.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah I really, really like The Hanged Man, the Magician, and The Wheel of Fortune. They're so beautiful :syoon:

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

Prison Warden posted:

gently caress dammit Hussie. I cannot possibly afford to spend all my money on your glorious tarot pack. Stupid university and their stupid mandatory textbooks.

"Mandatory" is just another way of saying "Optional". :smugdog:

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Also, fedorafreak is the page of swords? Excellent.

David Copperfield
Mar 14, 2004

im david copperfield

Luminous Obscurity posted:

Oh god there's just too much cool poo poo, I can't resist it all.

It's like all of the merch people were requesting for years were all held back for the kickstarter.

Omp2
Sep 15, 2012

by T. Mascis

MrBims posted:

Or maybe you're thinking about all this stuff completely opposite (as is par for the course for Vriskachat here), and the question shouldn't be how would John react to anything Vriska does or knowledge of her death or whatever, but how would Vriska react to John not remembering her or caring (as John would be apt to do, and Hussie would be apt to write), after Vriska turned him into her only path to some semblance of normality?

Speaking of misreading characters, romance with an alien from another universe probably isn't normal by Alternian standards. At all. That's such a weird impression that I can't even imagine where you got it.

CidGregor posted:

So there's no official update yet, but if you'll take a look at the kickstarter, there is a new reward tier that includes a Homestuck themed deck of Tarot Cards with loving amazing art.

Page One
Page Two
Page Three

Additionally it contains Prospit/Derse shirts, a grimdark squiddle tote, and more pins.

As if I didn't want enough of this poo poo, jesus christ Hussie.

EDIT: Also a new combo tier including all the packs so far at $605. Time for a million $612 pledges.

Why does the number XI appear twice?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

I like that the Knight of Cups is Hearts Boxcars not believing he is still stuck with this horse bullshit.