Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
On OS X Mountain Lion, I suddenly can't see glyph icons like those on GitHub (scroll down). They just look like squares, i.e. unrecognized characters.

It wasn't always like this. Any idea what the hell happened? They work perfectly fine in Safari.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY
Had that happen once. Fiddled browsers, found out other glyph icon sites didn't work. Finally, after a few WTFs, changing channels on Chrome from beta to stable and back to beta, I restarted the Mac and the problem was gone.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

crazysim posted:

Had that happen once. Fiddled browsers, found out other glyph icon sites didn't work. Finally, after a few WTFs, changing channels on Chrome from beta to stable and back to beta, I restarted the Mac and the problem was gone.
That fixed it, cheers. I've gotten so used to never turning off my Air.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
How can I switch from Dev to Stable on Windows? I'm getting tired of the stupid stuff like tabs freezing and gifs not working, and I think I'm just done with the bleeding edge.

Is it as simple as uninstalling Dev and installing Stable?

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Sort of

http://www.chromium.org/getting-involved/dev-channel#TOC-Going-back-to-a-more-stable-channel
(at the bottom)

You might lose some data (like browsing history) and it can't hurt to export your bookmarks first.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
I routinely switch between branches and have Google Sync activated to synchronise everything. I don't lose anything in the transition and can continue my browsing experience uninterrupted.

Anmitzcuaca
Nov 23, 2005

How do I stop Chrome from searching google.co.uk all the time? I'm not even in the UK...

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib

Anmitzcuaca posted:

How do I stop Chrome from searching google.co.uk all the time? I'm not even in the UK...

Is your language setting set to UK English? I know that before they added in Canadian English, having it set to that would redirect me.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
Starting today, if I have AdBlock Plus enabled, no page graphics are displayed on any site, including Google's homepage (the dropdown "Search Results" menu doesn't even work). Anyone have any equivalent working extensions or know what's causing the problem?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Papercut posted:

Starting today, if I have AdBlock Plus enabled, no page graphics are displayed on any site, including Google's homepage (the dropdown "Search Results" menu doesn't even work). Anyone have any equivalent working extensions or know what's causing the problem?

Adblock

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Thanks that works.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Google's Google Mail Checker seems to be making GBS threads itself. Not updating until after I check my inbox, and then not updating to reflect that I've read my unread mail, etc. Anyone else have this issue?

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.
I'm not really sure why they let you rearrange the icons for your extensions and crap and/or change the width of the omnibar. They will just rearrange themselves on their own later anyway.

Is there a fix for that?

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!

Argas posted:

Google's Google Mail Checker seems to be making GBS threads itself. Not updating until after I check my inbox, and then not updating to reflect that I've read my unread mail, etc. Anyone else have this issue?

I've been having similar issues with my Gmail account in OS X's Mail.app today. I'm thinking maybe it's a server side thing?

wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

Radio got his free iPod, did you get yours???
New thing started this morning with Chrome, was running 21.0.1180.89 and found that a site with flash sorta poo poo the bed. Then went to youtube, and every thumbnailed window was just a black rectangle. Each subsequent site I went to with a flash element put the tab in a perpetually loading state. I could close the tab, but reloading the page (even in incognito) resulted in the same issue.

I rebooted a few times, same issues.

I then tried the dev channel, 23.0.1270.0. Things seemed to be better until "shockwave flash has crashed" appeared (or whatever the yellow warning bar that slides down from below the nav bar says) on a site that had some flash content. From that point, again, I'm having the same issue with any site with flash content.

It used to be that I could independently upgrade flash, but it's sandboxed now, yes? From what I understand, that means I can't really remove flash from Chrome necessarily, right? If so, how the hell am I supposed to try and fix this? Searching for this on google is hard given the broad terms and the issues I'm having so I'm hoping someone else here has experienced this and knows a solution.

Coughing-up Tweed
Jun 12, 2006

wattershed posted:

New thing started this morning with Chrome, was running 21.0.1180.89 and found that a site with flash sorta poo poo the bed. Then went to youtube, and every thumbnailed window was just a black rectangle. Each subsequent site I went to with a flash element put the tab in a perpetually loading state. I could close the tab, but reloading the page (even in incognito) resulted in the same issue.

I rebooted a few times, same issues.

I then tried the dev channel, 23.0.1270.0. Things seemed to be better until "shockwave flash has crashed" appeared (or whatever the yellow warning bar that slides down from below the nav bar says) on a site that had some flash content. From that point, again, I'm having the same issue with any site with flash content.

It used to be that I could independently upgrade flash, but it's sandboxed now, yes? From what I understand, that means I can't really remove flash from Chrome necessarily, right? If so, how the hell am I supposed to try and fix this? Searching for this on google is hard given the broad terms and the issues I'm having so I'm hoping someone else here has experienced this and knows a solution.

chrome://plugins will let you choose what version of Flash you want to use, whether built-in or systemwide.

Pedialyte
Jul 27, 2003

"With the breakdown of the Medieval system, the gods of Chaos, Lunacy, and Bad Taste gained ascendancy." Ignatius was writing in one of his Big Chief tablets.
Could I get a recommendation for a good mouse gesture extension? I had to downgrade from the beta build of Chrome to the stable for a separate issue and I noticed that SmoothGestures is no longer supported by Chrome. I have since installed 'Gestures for Chrome' but it lacks the next/previous page gesture as an option. I use this to flip between pages in forum threads, news sites or anything with a next/previous page link. Anyone have a similar extension that will have this command or any idea how I could set it up myself?

KoB
May 1, 2009
Is anyone else having trouble with chrome opening links in new windows instead of tabs? All the settings are correct, nothing has changed, but after starting up this morning I cant get it to cooperate.

e: nevermind. Some process wasnt working correctly I guess, force ended chrome.exe and it decided to restore my tabs from yesterday and works now.

KoB fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Sep 24, 2012

Billa
Jul 12, 2005

The Emperor protects.
Is there any reason on why Chrome refuses to load all the webs I have set up when openin the browser when I open it for the first time after turning on my machine? They all stay on 'loading' but if I close the browser and open it again they all load fine.

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008

Billa posted:

Is there any reason on why Chrome refuses to load all the webs I have set up when openin the browser when I open it for the first time after turning on my machine? They all stay on 'loading' but if I close the browser and open it again they all load fine.

This happens to me, with pinned tabs. I've found I can click the tab, F5, and it loads up fine.

Billa
Jul 12, 2005

The Emperor protects.

BoyBlunder posted:

This happens to me, with pinned tabs. I've found I can click the tab, F5, and it loads up fine.

Yeah I know, but it is quite annoying that it doesn't load up at first.

Billa
Jul 12, 2005

The Emperor protects.
Chrome 22 is out as a stable release; 23 is also out as dev release.

TwoKnives
Dec 25, 2004

Horrible, horrible shoes!
Wow, it pays to be a security researcher. Some guy netted $15,000 for finding two cross site scripting vulnerabilities patched in the latest stable version. I wonder what amount of time he invested to discover them.

blargle
Apr 3, 2007

Thoom posted:

I've been having similar issues with my Gmail account in OS X's Mail.app today. I'm thinking maybe it's a server side thing?

Same here, mine's been broken for a few weeks. I've never had a reliable Gmail checker in any browser, ever.

Resonance
Dec 17, 2002

Don't give me any shit about plumbers, Jan.
I daresay the irritating 'startup tabs won't load first time' bug has been fixed in the latest stable release. Lovely.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
I have a Chrome Google Voice extension on my PC that is very similar to the official one, but has options on the left side to view starred items, missed calls, and other things. Since this extension doesn't get transferred through Chrome Sync, I'm assuming it's not on the Chrome store. Does anybody know what this extension is?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Vykk.Draygo posted:

I have a Chrome Google Voice extension on my PC that is very similar to the official one, but has options on the left side to view starred items, missed calls, and other things. Since this extension doesn't get transferred through Chrome Sync, I'm assuming it's not on the Chrome store. Does anybody know what this extension is?

I wouldn't bet on it not being on the chrome store. I'm always having extensions not sync that are most definitely on the store.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Billa posted:

This has been happening to me for like 6 months now with the stable channel. Very annoying.

Maybe it has to do with Chrome loading extensions before rendering its first page?

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Thermopyle posted:

I wouldn't bet on it not being on the chrome store. I'm always having extensions not sync that are most definitely on the store.

Looks like it used to be on the Chrome Store, but it was removed and abandoned by the dev. That sucks because it was a big improvement over the official extension.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

FISHMANPET posted:

How can I switch from Dev to Stable on Windows? I'm getting tired of the stupid stuff like tabs freezing and gifs not working, and I think I'm just done with the bleeding edge.

I'm on stable and gifs don't work for me either. Both in OSX and Windows it's a crapshoot if they load past the first frame and it's getting really annoying.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I'm continuing to see gif problems as well on stable, though they work more in stable than they did in dev.

Sometimes right or left clicking on them is enough to get them going, or scrolling away from them and scrolling back.

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'
Does anyone know how to fix the search by image extension in the current stable build? Since updating Chrome seems to have poo poo itself completely...

Fnoigy
Apr 9, 2007

I'm fine. Why do you ask?
So I'm using the latest version of Chrome on a 4-year-old MacBook Pro running OS X.5, and recently I started getting an issue with Flash. Every time I load any page with Flash on it, it blocks Flash saying it's out of date. I've installed the update several times, tried deleting Flash and re-installing it, restarting, all that stuff, and no luck. Chrome still complains Flash is out of date, and I have to click a button every time I want to watch a YouTube video or something.

I've looked around, and while a bunch of people seem to be having this issue, the answer seems to be that Google is no longer supporting X.5, and the only solutions are live with it, switch to another browser, or upgrade my OS, none of which are possible or not a major headache that could potentially lose lots of data. I get that everybody has to draw the line somewhere on supporting old software, but did they really have to break something so important on their way out?

Is there any possible way to fix this? There's been some discussion of messing with command line stuff and complex files, but I'm not sure I have the intelligence for that.

Gherkin Jerkin
Jan 22, 2006

With great power, comes great crunchability...

Experto Crede posted:

Does anyone know how to fix the search by image extension in the current stable build? Since updating Chrome seems to have poo poo itself completely...

Uninstall and reinstall works... until you close Chrome. Best result is to go to the Chrome store and report the problem.

GIFs stop animating for me as well. Same as others, I can select them to reanimate, but this poo poo is annoying.

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'

Gherkin Jerkin posted:

Uninstall and reinstall works... until you close Chrome. Best result is to go to the Chrome store and report the problem.

GIFs stop animating for me as well. Same as others, I can select them to reanimate, but this poo poo is annoying.

The beta channel is a little better. Image search works and gifs don't die as often...

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

This is probably not possible, but I'm throwing it out there just in case:

I'd like to pin tabs across all my Chrome windows. For example, I'd like to pin Gmail and just have it always be pinned and always be pinned on every window.

Possible?

Fools Mate
Jun 30, 2007

Thermopyle posted:

This is probably not possible, but I'm throwing it out there just in case:

I'd like to pin tabs across all my Chrome windows. For example, I'd like to pin Gmail and just have it always be pinned and always be pinned on every window.

Possible?

Like this?

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/7264/make-google-chrome-open-with-pinned-tabs/

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Almost.

I want the pinned tab across all open Chrome windows, though.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Is there an extension for Chrome that is similar to FoxyTunes like Firefox had? Heck, is there any extension that allows me to control iTunes through Chrome?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
the internet makes you stupid
Can anyone comment on Chromium? What benefits it has over Chrome?