Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

FMguru posted:

That first panel (the face of someone about to die) is a repeated image in Watchmen, and the thug's shadow leaves a Rorschach-style patterning on his face. Oh, and the falling/splattering jack-o-lantern is another repeated motif (the Nostalgia perfume ad, the snowglobe, Dreiberg's watch parts, etc.). The only thing the page is missing is a Hiroshima-lovers silhouette.

There's also the kid who's dressed as a pirate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
Winter Soldier #10. I thought this was an exquisite effort in emotion. Black Widow's been brainwashed, killed Jasper Sitwell, and now Bucky knows he might have to kill his one great love.

T3hRen3gade
Jun 7, 2007

Look in my eye,
what do you see?

FMguru posted:

That first panel (the face of someone about to die) is a repeated image in Watchmen, and the thug's shadow leaves a Rorschach-style patterning on his face.

It's actually the shadow of the Nite Owl statuette they kill him with, but the symmetry does make it look a little Rorschach-ian. Man I love Watchmen. :allears:

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Kull the Conqueror posted:

Winter Soldier #10. I thought this was an exquisite effort in emotion. Black Widow's been brainwashed, killed Jasper Sitwell, and now Bucky knows he might have to kill his one great love.

I agree with you that they are beautiful pages but I think the sadness comes from Widow having lost most of her memories of her time with Bucky more than him maybe having to kill her.

awkward saw
Jul 14, 2004

North, West, South, West.
My favorite character is Majestic/Majestros, Wildstorm's version of Superman. What started as a Superman parody in WILDcats became IMO one of the coolest supermen around, a lot more power and a lot less humanity. Alan More wrote a one shot that tells how a near omnipotent super man dies.

After eons and eons, Majestic is one of the last surviving beings in existence and faces a cosmic entity. He soon loses the battle and this happens:

Such a cool ending to one of the most powerful beings who ever lived. Apologies for the quality, just dug out my copy and took iPad pics.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home
It's probably significant that the cosmic entity looks a bit like Moore.

Also, Asimov did that ending first.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Senior Woodchuck posted:

It's probably significant that the cosmic entity looks a bit like Moore.

Also, Asimov did that ending first.

Moore wrote it.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
He 'homaged' the poo poo out of Asimov's The Last Question.". I've had a frustrating number of comic readers tell me how mind blowing the ending to Supreme was, and how no one else is that creative. It's a nice story, but Moore really only added capes.

Hyperactive
Mar 10, 2004

RICHARDS!

Squidster posted:

He 'homaged' the poo poo out of Asimov's The Last Question.". I've had a frustrating number of comic readers tell me how mind blowing the ending to Supreme was, and how no one else is that creative. It's a nice story, but Moore really only added capes.
And Star Wars was a samurai movie with lasers. And samurai movies are Westerns with swords. And Westerns are structurally identical to 1,000+ year old jianghu stories with guns.

Your point?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Hyperactive posted:

And Star Wars was a samurai movie with lasers. And samurai movies are Westerns with swords. And Westerns are structurally identical to 1,000+ year old jianghu stories with guns.

Your point?

To be fair one major western is a samurai with guns.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Hyperactive posted:

Your point?

And Final Fantasy (and anime in general) is all of those mixed together in a wonderful flashy mess.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Squidster posted:

It sounds like your problem isn't really that Moore took from a previous story, but that people fail to appreciate the previous works. I've seen a lot of that whenever Moore is talked about, especially. Unfortunately all you can really do is point them at the minds who crafted stories every bit as creative and hope they appreciate them too.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

I like stories that are good. These stories are good. v:shobon:v

awkward saw
Jul 14, 2004

North, West, South, West.

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

It sounds like your problem isn't really that Moore took from a previous story, but that people fail to appreciate the previous works. I've seen a lot of that whenever Moore is talked about, especially. Unfortunately all you can really do is point them at the minds who crafted stories every bit as creative and hope they appreciate them too.

I did actually discover Asimov's "Question" because I liked the ending above so much and researched it, so I know it isn't an original idea. That said I enjoy the character enough that I think it is cool to extend him to the end of the world.

Plus, I like "There really should be light." instead of the whole grandiose LET THERE BE LIGHT. A more human ending/beginning. Maybe the computer started it over first, then Majestic/Super Space Wire Moore started it over again.

:iiam:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Hyperactive posted:

Your point?

Oh my god, everyone ever is a hack.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
Gentlefolk, please join me in Derailed before we all get banned.

Content - from a graphic novel called Meltdown. The protagonist, a screwup 9-5 superhero called Flare, has found out that his flame-based powers are exponentially increasing in power, and will consume him entirely in a matter of days. He decides he's going to settle all his old scores before he goes out, starting with the supervillain he hated most.

After he's had his revenge, he tries to make up to his old girlfriends, say goodbye to his loved ones, but a natural disaster pulls his away, and his hero instincts kick in one last time.

He manages to save a handful of lives before his powers fail him completely, and he goes out in a literal blaze of glory.

And then six months later...

Squidster fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Sep 18, 2012

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
I'm not sure if this was overly sappy to most but it certainly got me; I think the expressive art and the dialogue really bring out the emotion here. Supergirl #0:

KittenofDoom
Apr 15, 2003

Me posting IRL
Have they explained why the two scientist dudes didn't warn people anyways?

It shouldn't have been too hard for an interstellar civilization to load up a few busloads of people, right?

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

KittenofDoom posted:

It shouldn't have been too hard for an interstellar civilization to load up a few busloads of people, right?

I don't know if it is the same in the new 52 but pre-52 it was pretty much Kryptonian hubris thinking that their world will never end.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Think of it like this: some crazy scientist says the planets gonna blow up, everyone else says it won't. You gonna evacuate over that?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

ChairMaster posted:

Think of it like this: some crazy scientist says the planets gonna blow up, everyone else says it won't. You gonna evacuate over that?

Yeah, but I thought Jor-El was supposed to be pretty well respected, not just "some crazy scientist". So if I were on a planet where (presumably) interplanetary travel is possible, I might just take a little vacation, spend a week over in scenic Daxam, whatever.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

TwoPair posted:

Yeah, but I thought Jor-El was supposed to be pretty well respected, not just "some crazy scientist". So if I were on a planet where (presumably) interplanetary travel is possible, I might just take a little vacation, spend a week over in scenic Daxam, whatever.

If a respectable scientist like, say, Stephen Hawking said something world-changing, i.e. there's no God, how many people would listen and change their views overnight?

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

Mister Roboto posted:

If a respectable scientist like, say, Stephen Hawking said something world-changing, i.e. there's no God, how many people would listen and change their views overnight?

That's a really bad analogy, plus you can chalk it up to comic writers not really thinking this backstory all the way through when they sketched it out

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Want a better analogy? Imagine if a bunch of scientist say global warming is real and we better start looking for an alternate source of energy otherwise we are going to accelerate it or cause major catastrophic changes to the planet. Then a bunch of guys say "climate change isn't real". Bang.
In the case of Krypton I think that it was pretty much Kal-L dad going "the world is going to end and we are doomed" and Krypton saying we are leading such an awesome life that you are clearly a party-pooper.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Pacra posted:

That's a really bad analogy, plus you can chalk it up to comic writers not really thinking this backstory all the way through when they sketched it out

Or, as Madkal illustrated, the backstory is all TOO close to reality.

d00gZ
Oct 12, 2002

Original Sin Murderer
Wild Guess #627
Edward Snowden

"My sole motive is to inform the public as to that which is done in their name and that which is done against them."
I'm pretty sure Jor-El is just the Kryptonian Al Gore.

Mike From Nowhere
Jan 31, 2007

I guess there has to be one thing I just can't help, Lois.
^^ EDIT: http://www.theonion.com/articles/al-gore-places-infant-son-in-rocket-to-escape-dyin,2495/

Yeah, the fact that no one on Krypton wants to believe that their world could end because it's too terrifying to contemplate? That's just about the LEAST alien thing about them.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Magic Love Hose posted:

^^ EDIT: http://www.theonion.com/articles/al-gore-places-infant-son-in-rocket-to-escape-dyin,2495/

Yeah, the fact that no one on Krypton wants to believe that their world could end because it's too terrifying to contemplate? That's just about the LEAST alien thing about them.

I always liked in TAS how Brainiac was hiding the truth and Jor-el was the only one that saw past him

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

KittenofDoom posted:

Pretty sure the jury's still out on Jor-El, but Zor-El's reputation was tarnished because he was doing cloning experiments (eventually leading to the creation of the Worldkillers, who are now Supergirl villains), so he kept his plans secret, assuming that no one would consent to his shielding of Argo City. He also didn't tell his wife what he was doing with Kara for the same reasons.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

d00gZ posted:

I'm pretty sure Jor-El is just the Kryptonian Al Gore.

Really, if Superman had done what Jor-El would have wanted he'd spend all of his time and effort fighting global warming. Yeah, thanks for stopping that bank robber Superman, he's totally doing more damage to us then, I don't know, EXXON MOBIL. Your father's ashes are rolling while orbiting Rao, rear end in a top hat.

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

DarkCrawler posted:

Really, if Superman had done what Jor-El would have wanted he'd spend all of his time and effort fighting global warming. Yeah, thanks for stopping that bank robber Superman, he's totally doing more damage to us then, I don't know, EXXON MOBIL. Your father's ashes are rolling while orbiting Rao, rear end in a top hat.

Sounds like a job for Clark Kent.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

bobkatt013 posted:

I always liked in TAS how Brainiac was hiding the truth and Jor-el was the only one that saw past him

Morrison talked about how that was his favorite version of Brainiac. Speaking of Morrison and Brainiac, someone needs to post (in another thread) Alex Ross' orignal sketches for how Brainiac was supposed to look in Justice. Grant Morrison as Brainiac is hilarious to behold.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Die Laughing posted:

Brainiac was supposed to look in Justice.

Literally copypasted that into google and this was the first hit:

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Mister Roboto posted:

About none at all.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/under-god/post/stephen-hawking-there-is-no-heaven/2011/05/16/AF6hNs4G_blog.html

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

TwoPair posted:

Jor-El was respected but the comics have made it clear Krypton was kinda a jerk-planet. They thought he was just making mountains out of molehills (or in some universes just thought he was a crazy lying jerk for some reason) because hey, it's superman planet, nothing can stop superman planet.

Also depending on the universe Brainiac may have been involved in trying to cover up the findings so he just looked like he was talking out of his rear end.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Fried Chicken posted:

About none at all.

And there's a good reason for that:

(Atomic Robo #4)

RedMagus
Nov 16, 2005

Male....Female...what does it matter? Power is beautiful, and I've got the power!
Grimey Drawer
That and Carl Sagan alien hunting are two of the top three reasons to pick up all of those books.

Dr. Dinosaur is the magnificent third.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I thought this was kinda sweet, y'know, in a weird way. The Thunderbolts are stranded in the far flung future of 2000AD WHO KNOWS WHEN and are having to lead an attack on MegaMondo-City One and all the Judges Bosses inside, killing a lot of them even though they've done no wrong. Even though technically once they go back and change the past, nothing they do in this time period will "matter", Troll is having trouble killing people.

(Don't worry, Moonstone catches her)

Dark Avengers 181

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

TwoPair posted:

The Thunderbolts are stranded in the far flung future of 2000AD WHO KNOWS WHEN and are having to lead an attack on MegaMondo-City One and all the Judges Bosses inside, killing a lot of them even though they've done no wrong.

I wouldn't say they've done no wrong, they're pretty clearly a 2000AD style fascist dictatorship that's only the "good" side by virtue of their (oppressed, marginalized mutant) enemies being slightly more chaotic and brutal. Plus there's the whole genetic purity thing going on. The part that makes this truly wrong is that it's going to help no one, it's just a French Revolution style slaughter of the privileged class by those who have nothing, but in this case it'll end with neither side having anything, and one of the sides being slaughtered horribly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I get that they're not really innocent, it's just that... well yeah, what you said. It's slaughter for slaughter's sake.