Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
waderockett
Apr 22, 2012

Bedlamdan posted:

So I just noticed this today, but it looks like my post here has been enshrined forever on their website.

So, uh, that's neat. :)

Specifically, he is a contributor to Pelgrane Press' ENnie Award nominated webzine See Page XX. Really very neat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

moths posted:

Isn't that the elevator pitch for Mikan's Last Stand?

Actually yes, but I only found that out after I posted that, so I'm looking into Mikan's game now.

waderockett posted:

Specifically, he is a contributor to Pelgrane Press' ENnie Award nominated webzine See Page XX. Really very neat.

:blush:

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
Bit more brainstorming. Sections of the dungeon are thematically linked by biome. And not just plant life -- each section of the dungeon has architecture, inhabitants, loot, traps and puzzles, etc that reflect that area's biome.

The Lemondrop Dandy
Jun 7, 2007

If my memory serves me correctly...

Wedge Regret

Alpha Phoenix posted:

Brainstorm:

In another age, a High Druid concocted this and primed it to destroy those not in tune with nature if some technology came to exist or if certain groves were destroyed. It's suddenly being primed to fire. The current high druid knows of its existence, and is using their powers to stop the trigger from being pulled, but needs a group to go into the Laputaesque castle itself to stop it from triggering before the druid collapses. Twist ending: Over the course of the dungeon, there are signs that it has been fired multiple times before.

Denizens of the place are plants, both benign (functioning as healing/recovery items) and malignant (traps/monsters), and wooden golem constructs which are mostly peaceful custodians [think Keepers in Mass Effect or the Caretakers in Laputa] unless you try to break down the walls or go into restricted areas. Some of the ghosts that haunt the flying dungeon are from a previous age, and blame YOU for their deaths and the deaths of their loved. Others wander around, obliviously talking to themselves and dropping hints for traps and secret walls.

I dig this spin on the idea quite a bit. Adding in the other idea about the Lich King meddling about with the ghosts and maybe a bit of the day/night changes could be really great.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Wasn't that Crisis 2's gimmick? I didn't play it but heard some reviews.

e: I really like the imagery of something that's basically plant Manhattan turning into a ghost-haunted necropolis by night, and then it's business-as-usual the next day.

moths fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Sep 17, 2012

Overemotional Robot
Mar 16, 2008

Robotor just hasn't been the same since 9/11...

fosborb posted:

Bit more brainstorming. Sections of the dungeon are thematically linked by biome. And not just plant life -- each section of the dungeon has architecture, inhabitants, loot, traps and puzzles, etc that reflect that area's biome.

Playing off of this: what if the whole thing is made up of the ruins of different civilizations / cities / whatever that are all lashed together with these plant materials and floating (flying?) through the air? Different biomes could have specific cultural architecture and plant life (maybe from the area it was absorbed from?) and has been attached to this big floating plant tumor through its feelers. So maybe the whole thing is living or has some kind of sentience?

Overemotional Robot fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Sep 17, 2012

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Overemotional Robot posted:

Playing off of this: what if the whole thing is made up of the ruins of different civilizations / cities / whatever that are all lashed together with these plant materials and floating (flying?) through the air? Different biomes could have specific cultural architecture and plant life (maybe from the area it was absorbed from?) and has been attached to this big floating plant tumor through its feelers. So maybe the whole thing is living or has some kind of sentience?

Oooh, maybe the whole thing is just patchworking as many different types of land onto itself so that it can become it's own world. Maybe it eventually starts producing new, unique life, which could be a huge draw for adventures/Icons.

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.

Alpha Phoenix posted:

Brainstorm:

In another age, a High Druid concocted this and primed it to destroy those not in tune with nature if some technology came to exist or if certain groves were destroyed. It's suddenly being primed to fire. The current high druid knows of its existence, and is using their powers to stop the trigger from being pulled, but needs a group to go into the Laputaesque castle itself to stop it from triggering before the druid collapses. Twist ending: Over the course of the dungeon, there are signs that it has been fired multiple times before.

I don't know if it was deliberate, but this sounds an awful lot like Halo. Whether that's a good thing or a bad thing is debatable.

I like the "corpse of a god" idea. I misread moths' post at first, reading "agriculture god" as "architecture god", which suggested a bunch of other possibilities, re: what exactly is The Cathedral built out of?

Overemotional Robot
Mar 16, 2008

Mix one part of this:

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Oooh, maybe the whole thing is just patchworking as many different types of land onto itself so that it can become it's own world. Maybe it eventually starts producing new, unique life, which could be a huge draw for adventures/Icons.

With two parts of this:

Heresiarch posted:

I like the "corpse of a god" idea.

And you get lots of awesome.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

If you detach it from any particular Icon you can invest all the Icons into it.

A dead fertility god amalgamation of impossible lands and bizarre architecture, in a decaying orbit crash-course with Axis. And full of ghosts and triffids. Icon or not, who wouldn't be interested in that?

Alpha Phoenix
Feb 26, 2007

That is a peckin' lot of bird...
:kazooieass::kazooieass::kazooieass:

Heresiarch posted:

I don't know if it was deliberate, but this sounds an awful lot like Halo. Whether that's a good thing or a bad thing is debatable.

I've never played halo [or crysis, as someone else mentioned] so I don't know. In honesty when people described it at first, I was thinking of Laputa and its custodians as far as the physical description goes, though probably we'd want to make it darker to fit the mood.

'Doomsday Device Dungeon being held off as long as possible as protagonists save the day' probably isn't the most original idea, but as a starting point we would add the elements to make it our own.

Alpha Phoenix fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Sep 17, 2012

Overemotional Robot
Mar 16, 2008

moths posted:

What if we had short (one to two sentences) reasonings for Icons to be involved? That way the DM could get ideas or pick and choose what he or she thinks would work best for the storyline.

moths posted:

A dead fertility god amalgamation of impossible lands and bizarre architecture, in a decaying orbit crash-course with Axis. And full of ghosts and triffids. Icon or not, who wouldn't be interested in that?

Also I am loving this imagery.

Overemotional Robot fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Sep 17, 2012

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

What if we had short (one to two sentences) reasonings for Icons to be involved? That way the DM could get ideas or pick and choose what he or she thinks would work best for the storyline.

This is an idea that fits perfectly with the spirit of 13th age.

Of course, good luck in convincing the Orc Lord to care. Unless you can find a way to direct the dungeon to crash into the target he wants. And explain to him how to do it in under two minutes.

(I suppose not everyone's orc lord has ADHD, but mine does.)

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

DalaranJ posted:

Of course, good luck in convincing the Orc Lord to care. Unless you can find a way to direct the dungeon to crash into the target he wants. And explain to him how to do it in under two minutes.

Is it a weapon? Weapons can be suborned and directed.

The Orc Lord's premier tool isn't raw force, though he has enough of that. It's that he suborns civilization. The Orc Plague literally converts people into being his soldiers. Which he then uses with all the subtlety of a hammer, to be sure, but the guy is certainly more than capable of exercising the subtlety and control needed to get ahold of a new hammer.

Red_Mage
Jul 23, 2007
I SHOULD BE FUCKING PERMABANNED BUT IN THE MEANTIME ASK ME ABOUT MY FAILED KICKSTARTER AND RUNNING OFF WITH THE MONEY
I think I can tie all this cool brainstorming together. Again once I hear back from Rob or someone else who is vaguely in charge, I will put together a draft submission.

Overemotional Robot
Mar 16, 2008

DalaranJ posted:

This is an idea that fits perfectly with the spirit of 13th age.

(I suppose not everyone's orc lord has ADHD, but mine does.)

There's 15 backers for this dungeon so if we include 2 of the extra Icons we know will be introduced with the core book we could each take one.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.

moths posted:

This sounds like one of the ideas I was using in a campaign where an astral dragon was feasting on the corpse of a dead god and aiming to collide it with a place of import in the campaign. I too dig this a lot.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

There's 15 backers for this dungeon so if we include 2 of the extra Icons we know will be introduced with the core book we could each take one.

Extra icons? I've preordered/am ordering every 13th Age thing and have somehow missed this.

Edit: every kickstarter backer got an e-mail with a link to this thread, so that's pretty cool.

long-ass nips Diane fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Sep 17, 2012

ack
Mar 16, 2007
ack ack ack ack

Mors Rattus posted:

Is it a weapon? Weapons can be suborned and directed.

The Orc Lord's premier tool isn't raw force, though he has enough of that. It's that he suborns civilization. The Orc Plague literally converts people into being his soldiers. Which he then uses with all the subtlety of a hammer, to be sure, but the guy is certainly more than capable of exercising the subtlety and control needed to get ahold of a new hammer.

Orc Lord: Maybe the dungeon is the origin of the orc plague.

Elf Queen: She's been getting visions, alien elves live somewhere in the dungeon, she can't quite figure out what they are all about.

Archmage: Astromancers have confirmed that the remains of a Wizard King experiment from an Age long gone are at the core of the dungeon.

High Druid: The dungeon is a tumor, first cast out from deepest jungles ages ago. Earth is sick, and this machine of destruction is it's own way of healing itself.

ack fucked around with this message at 10:31 on Sep 17, 2012

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Dwarf King: The flying realm is being held aloft by a previous' age Dwarven technology, and maybe the Dwarves would like to have that technology back, thank you very much. Maybe they've sent teams of engineers to investigate, but all have been lost.

Kenderama
Mar 12, 2003

Herding Nerds from
2007-2012
We got a shout out on the Kickstarter overnight!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/fireopalmedia/13th-age-expansion-book-13-true-ways-0/posts/309932

Tepplen
Jan 9, 2012

Words of Friendship!
What if the dead god is a old and forgotten Icon from a way earlier age, who has ascended/became a demi-god?

The Dungeon could rather be a kingdom he/she once tried to build to either restore something he's/she's lost (military, family, lover, etc.) or to rebuild the current age in their image. The reasoning for the multiple biomes could be literally the start of a new world, piece by piece. Or it could be to create just a continent/city. Either way, I imagine its a goal to build and expand for a much greater purpose.

If say they are looking to restore something lost, the core of this slowly building mass may be what they need, but it lacks either someone with the knowledge on how to control it, or it just is missing a piece or a key.

The Archmage could have some knowledge about this core, or one of his knowledgable students/higher up servants.

The High Druid would see this as complete and utter blasphemy to what she believes in, so of course something involving her wrath against this could very well be involved.

The Three may want it to turn it into a weapon against the GGW, or maybe just The Blue, because this is a piece of arcane knowledge she has yet to learn.

The Core could be ancient Dwarven technology in the end, if so, then the King will most certainly want it "back".

Tepplen fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Sep 17, 2012

SageNytell
Sep 28, 2008

<REDACT> THIS!
Awful Dungeon Ideas:

A room with a McGuffin in the center - room has an elevated stairway leading down, room proper is covered in sprawling masses of vegetation - a garden growing wild.
One of the most common plants is a gigantic, sickly-looking green-and-pink flower that sprays out gouts of yellow pollen every few minutes. The entire lower garden is filled with these spores, which cause ongoing acid damage as the caustic spores burn any interlopers.
There are two types of interception traps hidden within the room, giant piranha mantraps and roper trees. These plants will use the intercept option whenever anyone passes by them, piranha mantraps acting as large mooks with relatively high damage, roper trees grappling characters and pulling them into the air. Low amounts of damage will cause a roper to release, but in the interim characters are vulnerable to attacks from elsewhere.
In the meantime, other monsters are attacking - they are also subject to attacks?

We should definitely work in the old-school Zelda light redirection puzzles, working with photosynthetic plants moving and changing when light is shined on them. Basically plantlife would have two states - lit and unlit, and have these work as tools and obstacles for the players - while lit a plant might heal a small amount of damage each round, while unlit it sprays burning sap. Could we work this into combat encounters to activate traps against natives? Have this used against players?

Some Icon ideas:

Lich King: The dungeon contains undead who have been infected with some strange strains of plantlife, and now exist in a sort of twisted half-life. This plant infection sullies the gift of undeath, and he must learn more so that the plague of life can be pushed back.

Orc King: The stories told of the Awful Dungeon state that it is a powerful weapon. The Orc King himself has no time for solving puzzles and exploring ruins, but he recognizes that any source of destruction is another way to kill and boy does he like to kill. The Orc Lord has dispatched some of his more lucid followers to either bring the dungeon under his command, or burn it to the ground / out of the sky.

Tepplen
Jan 9, 2012

Words of Friendship!

SageNytell posted:

Awful Dungeon Ideas: ...
I'm really liking this idea, everything from the light/dark mechanic of the plants to the icon relationship.

My only question is, would you consider this dungeon to always have been a "green house", or was this dungeon something else before the plant life came in?

EDIT: I'm asking mainly for us to get an idea on enemies and lore. If this was say, a pure Sun/Light temple, it might of had golems as guardians, but if it was always a natural plant habitat, it would have more animal related dwellers.

Going back to the temple, had it had treasure/artifacts, there being bodies/undead would make a ton of sense for them being there.

Tepplen fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Sep 17, 2012

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008
The Prince of Shadows would be an easy one for this, I think. The Prince's interests are of a purely mercurial nature, but exceptional men make for exceptional avarice. The Prince wants every treasure in the Dungeon stripped bare, with every fleck of gold lining his pockets. Only then, when the Dungeon is firmly under his grasp, will he consider giving it over to the interests of other Icons... for a fair price, of course.

Of course, it's just a suggestion. I didn't buy into the dungeon, so I don't really have an investment in this enterprise.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Man I am so happy I got in on this now. That was totally worth my food fund for the month :3:

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

SageNytell posted:

Awful Dungeon Ideas:

A room with a McGuffin in the center - room has an elevated stairway leading down, room proper is covered in sprawling masses of vegetation - a garden growing wild.

The adventures arrive at the Wild Garden after the densest vegetation they've yet experienced.

Monsters and traps weren't as much of obstacles as picking out the path and pushing and hacking through the undergrowth. The air itself is dense here, and the moisture and heat are as oppressive as the plant life. A heady mix of ozone and dirt and freshly cut greenery pervade the senses. Flashes of color may have been seen in the distance, but vying for the adventures' attentions were innumerable insects looking for dark, warm new homes in boots and armor and ear canals.

The overgrown garden, in contrast, is blessedly open. The rough hewn stone steps are the clearest path forward in hours. And the slight movements in the distant cover are signs, finally, of a challenge that can be met with a blade.

Overemotional Robot
Mar 16, 2008

animaCartographer posted:

EDIT: I'm asking mainly for us to get an idea on enemies and lore. If this was say, a pure Sun/Light temple, it might of had golems as guardians, but if it was always a natural plant habitat, it would have more animal related dwellers.

Going back to the temple, had it had treasure/artifacts, there being bodies/undead would make a ton of sense for them being there.

I think having it be biomes like fosborb mentioned earlier would be cool. Maybe not tons of them, but two or three so we can throw different kinds of dwellers / animals / monsters / traps that reflect its region.

I really love the idea of light play. Maybe tie that into one biome? Maybe make another biome have to do with the undead / ghosts like it picked up a ruin from the Lich King's island and absorbed it into the mass?

Bedlamdan posted:

The Prince of Shadows would be an easy one for this, I think. The Prince's interests are of a purely mercurial nature, but exceptional men make for exceptional avarice. The Prince wants every treasure in the Dungeon stripped bare, with every fleck of gold lining his pockets. Only then, when the Dungeon is firmly under his grasp, will he consider giving it over to the interests of other Icons... for a fair price, of course.

*commandeers flying mass, flies over first bank of Axis tearing it out of the ground with plant thing's feelers and absorbing into the mass, flies away with a smug grin*

fosborb posted:

but vying for the adventures' attentions were innumerable insects looking for dark, warm new homes in boots and armor and ear canals.

This is horrifying (but amazing).

Overemotional Robot fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Sep 17, 2012

Overemotional Robot
Mar 16, 2008

Swagger Dagger posted:

Extra icons? I've preordered/am ordering every 13th Age thing and have somehow missed this.

Edit: every kickstarter backer got an e-mail with a link to this thread, so that's pretty cool.

There was a goon (Spiderfist!) who got their Icon selected for that create-an-Icon contest. The Sea Princess, I think? I believe there were some others as well mentioned on the Pelgrane website but now I can't find it.

Edit: found it: http://www.pelgranepress.com/?p=8828

Also, might I just say for those with a vested interested watching, this supplement book would be a great place to add in those extra Icons like the Sea Princess... *WINK WINK*

Overemotional Robot fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Sep 17, 2012

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

*commandeers flying mass, flies over first bank of Axis tearing it out of the ground with plant thing's feelers and absorbing into the mass, flies away with a smug grin*

I actually like that better. For him, the dungeon is nothing more than another component in an upcoming heist.

SageNytell
Sep 28, 2008

<REDACT> THIS!
OOH! Adventurers may be puzzled by the enormous, slightly curved trails they see snaking through the fields of vegetation and narrow corridors - until they chance upon one of the gigantic, flesh-devouring mutant tumbleweeds that inexorably roll through the labrynthine halls. Think Raiders of the Lost Ark giant rock, only it follows you and keeps trying to eat you. It could even be played for laughs as a recurring monster that keeps chasing players through increasingly less likely areas.

Some more ideas for plants - The dungeon was originally powered by Tesla trees, giant metal-barked trees that emit violent arcs of electricity with a short radius when they are receiving sufficient light. Over the years the overgrowth has covered vast areas of the dungeon, and only by activating the Tesla trees and burning away the hypervegetation can the adventurers move forward. Of course, each awakened tree brings the dungeon closer to activation...

Fiendish plants may have all sorts of wierd resistances and weaknesses. Maybe certain plants are resistant to fire, and when lit ablaze actually get a small buff to attacks or damage. Perhaps cold or lightning or sound is necessary to bring down certain foul groves.

What sorts of critters live in vegetation? Stick bugs and praying mantises come to mind - the greenery provides perfect camoflage until they are ready to strike. Perhaps a battle with a Vorpal Mantis in a vast field of bamboo might be fun - everyone starts out with cover which is slowly decreased as people slice down more and more of the bamboo with their attacks.

When I ran Blood and Lightning for my players, I was running under the assumption that the entire dungeon of the Greenstand was one gigantic undead plant, which would slowly awaken and try to crush any interlopers who dared venture within. The way I hooked in the druid NPC from the adventure was to have the High Druid trying to take control of the dungeon without telling the players - sort of 'go put this magic acorn inside the giant evil plant without asking questions, there's a good adventurer'.

What if the whole dungeon (or just the plants) is one giant, interconnected creature grown fat on the remains of those who dare to enter? See the honey fungus for a real world variant, it's the largest single living creature on Earth.
I realized after writing this that it seems like reinventing the living dungeon already in the system, but I think it's different enough to have a place.

Otherwise I like the formerly fronted idea that it's a prison-moon captured from a world of plants and infected with necromantic energy - now the inmates are running the asylum.

A third idea would be to see if Rob & Jon are cool with us calling it a fleshed-out Greenstand after whatever happens in the intro adventure is done - could be a way to tie it into the existing world. I'm not so hot on this idea myself, but I thought it deserved mention.

SageNytell fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Sep 18, 2012

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
Is one of the new icons David Attenborough? Because that would work out really well for us.

Tepplen
Jan 9, 2012

Words of Friendship!
I like the interconnected being idea. If people really want different biomes, the center of this dungeon could actually be a plant that has been dragging pieces of where ever it goes into itself katamari style, minus the ball.

The dungeon could be like a tower from a castle, a few halls and such from a cathedral, a catacombs, some manor's, as well as things from more natural areas as well merged with those pieces. Overall the creature would basically be grabbing things with its roots and pulling them towards itself to create this mass of wildlife and architecture.

In terms of the light and day, as well as the photosynthesis, the plants could be active during the day, and sluggish during the night. However other creatures could be more active during the night.

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
Not supposed to be here today
They just added the warlord Battle Captain as a stretch goal for $53k. Some other goals too, but I think it's clear what's important here.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Sefer posted:

They just added the warlord Battle Captain as a stretch goal for $53k. Some other goals too, but I think it's clear what's important here.

All these new stretch goals would be amazing. Especially the demonologist/whatever.

Greenplastic
Oct 24, 2005

Miao, miao!

SageNytell posted:

Some more ideas for plants - The dungeon was originally powered by Tesla trees, giant metal-barked trees that emit violent arcs of electricity with a short radius when they are receiving sufficient light. OVer the years the overgrowth has covered vast areas of the dungeon, and only by activating the Tesla trees and burning away the hypervegetation can the adventurers move forward. Of course, each
awakened tree brings the dungeon closer to activation...

Haven't contributed, so I have no say, but TESLA TREES :swoon:

RSIxidor
Jun 19, 2012

Folks who can't handle a self-reference paradox are real suckers.

Sefer posted:

This now all I care about in life, yet I have no ability to increase the amount of funding to the level they require to give me what I want. I am a sad, sad man. So very sad.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I may have stolen the idea for a dead god corpse dungeon from somewhere, I was driving home from work and couldn't shake feeling that I saw it before. So this is a better direction and I like it very much.

As for the biomes, you could have different climates and environments represented by lands stolen by the ... whatever force is katamari-ing up terrain. A huge swathe of farmland with crops growing on it, next to a full haunted city block, surrounded by jungle, and then an inexplicable three mile cube of ocean populated by mer-ghosts and seaweed servators tending to unimaginable tasks.

waderockett
Apr 22, 2012

RSIxidor posted:

This now all I care about in life, yet I have no ability to increase the amount of funding to the level they require to give me what I want. I am a sad, sad man. So very sad.

You can thank lessthanpleased for the Battle Captain: he's been agitating loudly for the class for months, saying there's no way his 4e group would ever switch to 13th Age unless the game had a martial healer. It eventually got Rob thinking about how he would handle that type of class in the game, and well, here we are. I told Neal to make his players all kick in now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Sefer posted:

The "I Hate This Town" goal is my new favorite. In-universe trashing of the least popular-by-player-vote city is a great idea.

• Locked thread