Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pro-PRC Laowai
Sep 30, 2004

by toby

Fangz posted:

Yes, both of these are via the same original source and supposedly originating from Chinese state news... except that no one's linking to a direct report from Chinese state news, which as I quoted, is *not* reporting on this.

http://news.163.com/photoview/00AN0001/27512.html#p=8BJDJJ7600AN0001

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Wait, so the Chinese are the ones destroying anything remotely tied to Japan, they're supposedly sending 1000 fishing trawlers to the Diaoyu islands... and we're having a discussion about the likelihood of an Imperial Japan rising and waging war against Asia?

Color me skeptical.

Media coverage in Japan has been pretty subdued.

MaterialConceptual
Jan 18, 2011

"It is rather that precisely in that which is newest the face of the world never alters, that this newest remains, in every aspect, the same. - This constitutes the eternity of hell."

-Walter Benjamin, "The Arcades Project"

PrezCamachoo posted:

Looks like a rather one sided pissing match to me. Notice the lack of Japanese people going out trying to burn Chinese businesses in Japan.

And this of course is the "most racist, xenophobic and reactionary country in the East" according to some posters here.

Living in Japan at the moment. People are talking about the whole thing, and while there are definitely some condescending attitudes towards the Chinese on display, most Japanese people seem pretty confused by the whole thing. There is (generally speaking) a huge disconnect between the ruling class and the ruled in Japan. People's political attitudes are quite complicated. Up until the mid-1970s there was actually a vehemently anti-imperialist, anti-fascist left in Japan but it collapsed and the left-right split in the country sort of got submerged in what you might call a "post-political" consensus. Which is to say that the right basically won the fight.

Adrastus
Apr 1, 2012

by toby

shrike82 posted:

Wait, so the Chinese are the ones destroying anything remotely tied to Japan, they're supposedly sending 1000 fishing trawlers to the Diaoyu islands... and we're having a discussion about the likelihood of an Imperial Japan rising and waging war against Asia?

Color me skeptical.

Media coverage in Japan has been pretty subdued.

It is Japan that is trying to take what rightfully belongs to Chinese. That also betrays their imperialistic ambitions.

Adrastus fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Sep 17, 2012

PrezCamachoo
Jan 21, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Adrastus posted:

It is Japan that is trying to take from Chinese what is rightfully theirs. That also betrays their imperialistic ambitions.

The preponderance of views among most legal experts is that Japan has the stronger legal claim to these islands. I recommend William E. Helfin's, “Diaoyu/Senkaku Islands Dispute: Japan and China Oceans Apart,” Asian- Pacific Law and Policy
Journal Vol.1, Issue 2 (2000)

Available here - http://blog.hawaii.edu/aplpj/files/2011/11/APLPJ_01.2_heflin.pdf

Modus Operandi
Oct 5, 2010

shrike82 posted:

Wait, so the Chinese are the ones destroying anything remotely tied to Japan,

If I were a Japanese person sitting at home watching tv i'd be laughing at the dumb rear end mainland Chinese destroying other Chinese citizen's property that they paid hard earned money for. Most of those Japanese restaurants they are throwing chairs through the store front of are owned by Chinese restauranteurs anyways. It's all pointless tantrum throwing by the nationalistic dull witted man on the street.

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Modus Operandi posted:

If I were a Japanese person sitting at home watching tv i'd be laughing at the dumb rear end mainland Chinese destroying other Chinese citizen's property that they paid hard earned money for. Most of those Japanese restaurants they are throwing chairs through the store front of are owned by Chinese restauranteurs anyways. It's all pointless tantrum throwing by the nationalistic dull witted man on the street.

Yeah, that's what I think when I see those pictures also. The protestors are just destroying their own stuff, and that hurts the Chinese the most. Meanwhile, boycotting Japanese products is useless because most of the counterparts of those products made in China are dubious at best. What are you going to do, not buy Japanese formula and feed your kid melamine kidney destroyer formula made in Glorious China?

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

Adrastus posted:

It is Japan that is trying to take what rightfully belongs to Chinese. That also betrays their imperialistic ambitions.

So... if the Chinese are sending 1,000 ships over to some islands, while Japan sits on its rear end, then that's Japan trying to take China's stuff?

You're taking my stuff right now, aren't you? I CAN SEE YOU DOING NOTHING! Give me my stuff back!

Oceanbound
Jan 19, 2008

Time to let the dead be dead.

Warcabbit posted:

So... if the Chinese are sending 1,000 ships over to some islands, while Japan sits on its rear end, then that's Japan trying to take China's stuff?

You're taking my stuff right now, aren't you? I CAN SEE YOU DOING NOTHING! Give me my stuff back!

Not that I agree with that person at all, but Japan is sitting on its rear end because it has ships permanently patrolling the waters around the island.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
I know, I was just being a tad silly. Seriously, though, the 1300s are 'time immemorial'? I know where my family's house was in the 1300s. That's not far back at all.

SerCypher
May 10, 2006

Gay baby jail...? What the hell?

I really don't like the sound of that...
Fun Shoe

Warcabbit posted:

I know, I was just being a tad silly. Seriously, though, the 1300s are 'time immemorial'? I know where my family's house was in the 1300s. That's not far back at all.

Also as the Native Americans in my country will tell you, the only territory claim that counts is one backed up by force. It doesn't matter who had those islands 500 years ago, what matters is that Japan has them now.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
So, it's 3 am Tuesday Japan Time. Has any of the supposed massive invasion fleet arrived yet, because I'm seeing nothing on NHK or Japan Times, and it seems generally to have fallen off the front pages.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Sep 17, 2012

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Fangz posted:

So, it's 3 am Tuesday Japan Time. Has any of the supposed massive invasion fleet arrived yet,
No, it's a fleet of 1,000 tightly packed Chinese ships. They're busy ramming each other's boats and jostling for position.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Question: Is there a sizable Chinese public/officials that still hold to the Marxist Communist ideals? Or are they all dead now?

a bad enough dude
Jun 30, 2007

APPARENTLY NOT A BAD ENOUGH DUDE TO STICK TO ONE THING AT A TIME WHETHER ITS PBPS OR A SHITTY BROWSER GAME THAT I BEG MONEY FOR AND RIPPED FROM TROPICO. ALSO I LET RETARDED UKRANIANS THAT CAN'T PROGRAM AND HAVE 2000 HOURS IN GARRY'S MOD RUN MY SHIT.
Where is the coverage of this? Was it false reporting or what?

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

Adrastus posted:

Did Pro-PRC Laowai have a kid or something? Pro-PRC 混血孩子? Is that you?

NaanViolence
Mar 1, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Adrastus posted:

It is true, China is severely lacking in terms of infrastructure compared to Japan. However, people are quick to attribute these difficulties to government incompetence, corruption or even flaws with the system while overlooking the fact that it is more likely the direct result of colonialism and imperialistic aggression perpetuated by Japan, and various other countries in the West, the damage of which China is still struggling to overcome.

Such is the insidious form that pro-Japanese rhetoric usually takes in China, 'We are objectively inferior to Japanese society in such and such aspects, and unless that changes, we have no right to defend ourselves from neocolonial invasion upon our territorial sovereignty.', trying to sugarcoat apologetics for Japanese imperialism in many seemingly respectable layers of introspection and self-betterment. Do not allow them to distract you from the issue at hand. The Chinese ownership to the Diaoyu island is clear and self-evident, supported by documents and records going as far back into antiquity as the Qing dynasty.

This has to be a troll.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Longanimitas posted:

This has to be a troll.

Well, troll or not the posts are hitting all the official PRC talking points down to a T. The PRC also has very little humour about its official talking points.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

So at this point do we think the highly trained chinese special forces with the invasion fleet are kinda hopelessly lost, or shall we conclude tentatively that WWIII maybe has been averted?

NaanViolence
Mar 1, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Munin posted:

Well, troll or not the posts are hitting all the official PRC talking points down to a T. The PRC also has very little humour about its official talking points.

In China they call these types of posters "wumaodang," which literally means the "fifty cent party." The implication is that members of the half-dollar party are paid fifty cents every time they post something nice about the Chinese government.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Longanimitas posted:

In China they call these types of posters "wumaodang," which literally means the "fifty cent party." The implication is that members of the half-dollar party are paid fifty cents every time they post something nice about the Chinese government.

He's only made 4 posts, it's going to take a long time for him to pay off the reg fee.

More seriously, I kinda really dislike this sort of conspiracy theory. Debate becomes kinda pointless if you refuse to assume even the minimum amount of good faith about the other party.

NaanViolence
Mar 1, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
It's not something that really happens. It's just an insult commonly used against stupid jingoists.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Fangz posted:

He's only made 4 posts, it's going to take a long time for him to pay off the reg fee.

More seriously, I kinda really dislike this sort of conspiracy theory. Debate becomes kinda pointless if you refuse to assume even the minimum amount of good faith about the other party.

Well, 50 cent or not what was raised is whether he is a troll. Whilst he might very well be I did just wanted to point out that the points made had a certain heft in the international scene and are not farcical in that respect; if only due to the party making those arguments.

NaanViolence
Mar 1, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Most educated Chinese people see those claims as farcical. They are held unironically only by officials, the uneducated, and the brainwashed. Unfortunately for China and the world, that's a lot of people.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Longanimitas posted:

Most educated Chinese people see those claims as farcical. They are held unironically only by officials, the uneducated, and the brainwashed. Unfortunately for China and the world, that's a lot of people.

You haven't spoken to many of the Chinese diaspora then. Ask any Chinese professional living in the US about China/Japan or China/Tibet etc. and you're likely to hear them parrot the government line without even blinking.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Maybe because they are deep seated sectarian conflicts where both sides have their own truths and grievances, and Americans should aim to resolve their own racial issues (we have major advantages over China in this) instead of getting involved in Old World conflicts.

Also isn't it kind of an unspoken thing that if China has sea rights out to these little rocks then they also have claims surrounding Taiwan?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

ReindeerF posted:

No, it's a fleet of 1,000 tightly packed Chinese ships. They're busy ramming each other's boats and jostling for position.

This is so true.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

McDowell posted:

Maybe because they are deep seated sectarian conflicts where both sides have their own truths and grievances, and Americans should aim to resolve their own racial issues (we have major advantages over China in this) instead of getting involved in Old World conflicts.

Also isn't it kind of an unspoken thing that if China has sea rights out to these little rocks then they also have claims surrounding Taiwan?

On this issue China and the Taiwanese are actually in agreement. Both believe that the islands are part of Taiwan. The Chinese additionally believe that Taiwan is part of China of course, but for purpose of presenting an unified front they don't bring that up.

Suntory BOSS
Apr 17, 2006

Japan just submitted the Takeshima/Dokdo issue to the ICJ for the third time, knowing that Korea would not participate in the tribunal and the case would not be heard.

Why don't the Japanese do the same for the Senkaku/Diayou islands? Or the Chinese, for that matter?

Fall Sick and Die
Nov 22, 2003
The Chinese don't submit these issues to third party arbitration because the government knows that their claims in many cases have no legal basis. For instance, China's claim to the South China Sea and all of the island groups in it are based on records from the hoary past that say that some Chinese ship sailed there and built a stone therefore it belongs to China today. Modern territorial law doesn't work like that, you don't get to claim a place because you planted a flag there 500 years ago.

It's hard to understand that most Chinese people don't know that there's any question about this whatsoever. Here's an example of a Chinese map...

The entire South China Sea is marked with the 'nine dotted line' that shows this belongs to China. Every Chinese map has this inset of the SCS, just like every American map will have an inset of Alaska and Hawaii. People are taught that this is a part of China and no one mentions that no other country in the world recognizes this claim. So for people to hear that this isn't a part of China is kinda like someone telling you one day, "Hey by the way did you know that Alaska isn't part of America? No one else agrees with that... and there's no actual American authority there." You'd probably be pretty nonplussed.

Just to see another example of how different the Chinese claims are compared to what modern international law says they should be...

But no one in China has any reason to doubt this because no one talks about it. There's no other side of the story that they get to hear, no one says, "Well we say we own the ocean up to the very shores of Malaysia 3000 miles from our own shores but some people disagree with that."

This besides the fact that most of these islands are not technically considered islands legally, instead they're termed rocks, and you don't get to extend your exclusive economic zone from rocks. The Chinese claims in the South China Sea are even more ridiculous when you understand that the lines on the map are not technically defined, there's no coordinates associated with them. This makes it tough to defend your territorial waters when you can't even say where they begin or end. This is why China made a big deal about how they submitted geographic coordinates for the Senkaku/Diaoyu islands, they were basically claiming that they belonged to China without actually saying what/where specifically they owned, this is unacceptable in maritime law.

http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/indepth/2012-09/16/c_131853550.htm

If China is doing something through bilateral negotiations it's generally because they believe that the UN or any other third party will find against them. They can use their immense weight to pressure small countries like Vietnam, the Philippines and Malaysia individually rather than allow them to join together or work through a neutral third party. Bilateral negotiations allow you to simply ignore the position of the other side and insist you're right, and when one of the countries is China, there's every reason to expect that they will win this fight in the end if they can keep it up, as they keep growing in strength relative to the rest of the world. China is happy to engage in multiparty talks when it's beneficial to them (see the 6-party talks regarding Korea)

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004
The Japanese government does not actually care if they lose Dokdo. The only reason they assert the claims is for votes in Shimane prefecture, which "Takeshima" supposedly belongs to. If they lost it in court they could say "hey, we did our best" and then wash their hands of it. Korea, on the other hand, would lose a major political button to push when they need it.

China and Japan both actually want the Senkakus, and are not going to leave it up to a court case. Japan especially since they already possess the islands and have nothing to gain by taking it to ICJ. I don't think a favorable decision would even get China off their back about it.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Fall Sick and Die posted:

Here's an example of a Chinese map...

Heh.

PrezCamachoo
Jan 21, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Suntory BOSS posted:

Japan just submitted the Takeshima/Dokdo issue to the ICJ for the third time, knowing that Korea would not participate in the tribunal and the case would not be heard.

Why don't the Japanese do the same for the Senkaku/Diayou islands? Or the Chinese, for that matter?

Japanese willingness to negotiate Takeshima, aka Dokdo, and failure to consider the same route on Senkaku is because Japan does not hold the former but does the latter. Japan can suggest negotiating Takeshima/Dokdo all it wants while being 100% certain that the Koreans will never agree to arbitration since they hold the rocks and they see nothing to negotiate. That's the same as the Japanese view of the Senkakus -- what's there to talk about? It's our land.

There is always the chance you would lose in arbitration. Could you imagine what would happen to the Korean government that allowed the Japanese to regain control over Takeshima? Or the Japanese government that let Senkaku go to China?

China also doesn't go to the ICJ because it apparently has a very unique view on territorial claims that are in serious conflict with the rest of the world. Long story short - they don't press the issue at the ICJ because half a dozen other countries are eagerly looking to press their own claims against China's claims in the South China Sea - most of which China would certainly lose.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

PrezCamachoo posted:

Or the Japanese government that let Senkaku go to China?

I honestly don't think the Japanese electorate gives a poo poo about Senkaku.

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008

shrike82 posted:

I honestly don't think the Japanese electorate gives a poo poo about Senkaku.

As been mentioned, the electorate matter very little in modern affairs. The big question is if there's any actual oil or gas resources under the hunk of rock, because both China and Japan, thanks to their boneheaded new energy policy, need that oil and gas if it exists.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Mar 23, 2021

Fall Sick and Die
Nov 22, 2003
I just saw an editorial on xinhua, haha...

http://news.xinhuanet.com/world/2012-09/18/c_123726112.htm

Basically it's a bunch of stuff about the Diaoyu belonging to China but then they drop this pleasant nugget, the Ryukyu islands don't belong to Japan and they encourage the people of Okinawa to throw off the colonialist yoke of the Japanese imperialists!

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004

Fall Sick and Die posted:

the Ryukyu islands don't belong to Japan and they encourage the people of Okinawa to throw off the colonialist yoke of the Japanese imperialists!

This honestly makes more sense than the Diaoyu crap.

Oceanbound
Jan 19, 2008

Time to let the dead be dead.

Longanimitas posted:

Really? Here in Hong Kong even the most vehement anti-communist government, pro-democracy activists are adamant that Diaoyu belongs to China. In fact they even landed a few guys on the island recently, and are planning to again (the HK government is so far not allowing their boat to leave). The most anti-China paper (apple daily) characterises the activists as heroes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Annie Chickenstalker
Oct 12, 2005

Of course you dont know, YOU dont know because only I know

Grimey Drawer
Here in Chongqing, a large central mainland Chinese city, several groups of demonstrators spent the entire day circling the capital district.

They stopped once an hour to chant in front of the stonework building on the left there because it is an old bunker that survived Japanese bombing during the war. It's now a little museum of war relics.

Most people didn't look very interested. There were more demonstrations over the weekend that were a little bigger than this, but most people I talk to don't seem to care. It's anecdotal, but those who I've asked about the topic brush it off by saying that Japan is a bunch of bullies and imperialists but they never get into details.