Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Louisgod posted:

so saying something like "I don't doubt that Microsoft and Sony's consoles will be much more powerful than the WiiU" without anything to back it up and then make the point that 3rd parties won't have to scale back their ports isn't a safe bet.

Just to clarify: I said that the other consoles would be much more powerful than the Wii-U, and I said that games would have to be scaled back. What I was saying was that they wouldn't have to be gimped.

Look, for instance, at Assassin's Creed; there's no AC series on the original Wii because even if you scale the graphics back significantly, it still can't be made to work. Or look at Dead Rising, which had to pare back a lot more than just the graphics. All I'm saying is that I doubt we'll often see things reach that extreme this time around.

Supercar Gautier fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Sep 17, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Bobnumerotres posted:

Another thing that's imperitive to software sales (especially third party ones) is giving people incentive to trade in their 360/PS3 for the Wii U, with, like you said, excellent exclusives that cater to the core.

Also their first step in getting Casuals would probably be explaining that this is a new console and not just a tablet for the Wii that gives the user magic powers.

Your points aren't making a whole lot of sense to me since the way your word things is confusing.

Trading in older consoles has a superficial and short lived effect and you'll more than likely see people trading in their old Wiis toward a WiiU than people trading in their PS3/360 toward a WiiU, especially since you probably won't see the PS4/720 for another year to year and a half. The PS3/360 has 'hardcore' exclusives that the WiiU will never see (Halo, Forza, LBP, GoW, Fable, Kinect titles, etc.), so people have no need to trade in their old consoles to 'upgrade' to a WiiU. What Nintendo needs to do early on is convince consumers that purchasing the WiiU will offer them something they can't get out of the other consoles, which they're going to have a hard time doing.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Is anyone else hoping that Monolith's new RPG gets localised by NoE again? I liked having British voices for a change. :britain:

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Suaimhneas posted:

Is anyone else hoping that Monolith's new RPG gets localised by NoE again? I liked having British voices for a change. :britain:

Yeah, plus the voice actors were decent.

The biggest issue I have with people complaining about the lack of "core" games on the Wii U (seriously, gamers need to all get together and pick better terms) is that part of this really isn't Nintendo's choice. If EA, Rockstar and Activision decide to not make any third party AAA titles for the Wii U... what can Nintendo do? It won't be their fault that the third party support isn't there. They have now made, by most acccounts the strongest game console on the market. If third parties decide to snub it, Nintendo is poo poo out of luck.

The only thing they could do is help fund a game to be exclusive to the Wii U. Which is what they did with Bayonetta 2. Which funny enough pissed a ton of people off.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Supercar Gautier posted:

Just to clarify: I said that the other consoles would be much more powerful than the Wii-U, and I said that games would have to be scaled back. What I was saying was that they wouldn't have to be gimped.

Look, for instance, at Assassin's Creed; there's no AC series on the original Wii because even if you scale the graphics back significantly, it still can't be made to work. Or look at Dead Rising, which had to pare back a lot more than just the graphics. All I'm saying is that I doubt we'll often see things reach that extreme this time around.

I suppose my point is if you're looking at newer generation games running on UE4 and on Square's Fox Engine and similar engines, then you will see gimped ports on the WiiU that will pose this question to 3rd parties: Is it financially viable to port these games over to the WiiU? When an engine downgrade is needed, you may not see 3rd parties port their games over when they consider the cost and how their downgraded games performed on the Wii.

I get your point though, but don't think it's something that can even be discussed until we see how the games look on the PS4/720.

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

Bobnumerotres posted:

The Wii U is catering to the core audiences again, and since there won't be a huge graphical jump or a gimped online between this and the other consoles, I think third parties will stick around as long as their games sell.

How do you know that there won't be a huge graphical jump? People said the exact same thing about the Wii in relation to the PS3/360 and look at how that turned out, the difference was tremendous.

Given the vast amount of rumours and information that has been trickling out regarding the next Microsoft and Sony consoles, chances are that they will in fact be considerably more powerful than the Wii U, to the point where the difference may be as significant as the one between the Wii and PS3/360, or perhaps even more so.

Of course, this could turn out to not be the case, but trying to state your opinion as fact when probability favours the opposite isn't terribly wise I think.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.
I feel like even now Sony and Microsoft are probably paying attention to the Wii U so they can know just how strong they need to make their machines to make their versions of games significantly better than the Wii U ports without breaking the bank.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

MUFFlNS posted:

How do you know that there won't be a huge graphical jump? People said the exact same thing about the Wii in relation to the PS3/360 and look at how that turned out, the difference was tremendous.

Given the vast amount of rumours and information that has been trickling out regarding the next Microsoft and Sony consoles, chances are that they will in fact be considerably more powerful than the Wii U, to the point where the difference may be as significant as the one between the Wii and PS3/360, or perhaps even more so.

Of course, this could turn out to not be the case, but trying to state your opinion as fact when probability favours the opposite isn't terribly wise I think.

The real issue is that Microsoft and Sony want to push the hardware, there are developers that want them to push the hardware, but publishers are starting to feel the burn on AAA titles and if the cost of gaming goes even higher, something is going to have to give and it will likely come in the price of the games themselves.

Say Sony goes ahead and makes the PS4 so strong it looks like a Wii/PS3 leap. Do you really think games are still going to cost $60 when the budgets for them are breaking $80-100M and there's no guarantee in selling more than 10M copies? If Sony does go for this, the next Sony console is going to feel like a Neo-Geo.

Some might say, "Oh, Sony can take it" but they really can't. There was tons of talk about Sony's losses and how having hardware that is several hundred dollars of a loss is not a viable system for them anymore. So the question is, can Sony afford a huge hardware leap and can publishers afford to make the games and potentially lose on them at $60 a pop?

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Some might say, "Oh, Sony can take it" but they really can't. There was tons of talk about Sony's losses and how having hardware that is several hundred dollars of a loss is not a viable system for them anymore. So the question is, can Sony afford a huge hardware leap and can publishers afford to make the games and potentially lose on them at $60 a pop?

Does Sony make money on Vita system sales or are they selling it at a loss? Seems like it's something that is hemorrhaging them money from all comments I see about it on forums and in the gaming press.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
I believe they actually make money on Vitas, but sales haven't been anywhere near Sony thought (or wanted) them to be.

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

Nickoten posted:

I feel like even now Sony and Microsoft are probably paying attention to the Wii U so they can know just how strong they need to make their machines to make their versions of games significantly better than the Wii U ports without breaking the bank.

R&D for console development takes years. The hardware would have been finalized quite a while ago, especially since developers have been working on launch games for the new Sony/Microsoft consoles for the past two years at least.

Apparently Sony in particular are being particularly ambitious, with the PS4 rumoured quite heavily to be designed to support a 4k resolution (to tie-in with the new TVs that are supposed to be coming out at some point) which will make the Wii U's 1080p maximum resolution look quite wimpy in comparison (even though I think most Wii U games so far are only 720p native?).

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

The real issue is that Microsoft and Sony want to push the hardware, there are developers that want them to push the hardware, but publishers are starting to feel the burn on AAA titles and if the cost of gaming goes even higher, something is going to have to give and it will likely come in the price of the games themselves.

Say Sony goes ahead and makes the PS4 so strong it looks like a Wii/PS3 leap. Do you really think games are still going to cost $60 when the budgets for them are breaking $80-100M and there's no guarantee in selling more than 10M copies? If Sony does go for this, the next Sony console is going to feel like a Neo-Geo.

Well luckily, as development costs increase so does the market and the increased cost of making games is offset somewhat by the increased sales figures and revenue via additional avenues such as DLC. That's also why we're seeing console generations last longer as time goes by, and you can expect the next Xbox and PlayStation to be around for roughly an extra year (possibly two) than the PS3 and Xbox 360.

You're right however, something may very well give in the future, but I don't think we'll see another industry crash or anything, just smaller studios dying out while the majors thrive. I'd say that we're kind of at the point now in particular where there is slightly too many games being released, and people can't afford to buy all of them which is why you see publishers such as Sega in trouble.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

zenintrude posted:

Does Sony make money on Vita system sales or are they selling it at a loss? Seems like it's something that is hemorrhaging them money from all comments I see about it on forums and in the gaming press.

Quick google search brings up two articles:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/tech...article4509317/

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-08-02-sony-sales-highlight-playstation-vita-struggles

Probably top quotes from them:

quote:

Sales in the Game segment sunk 14.5 per cent year-on-year, providing a loss of 3.5 billion yen (£28.69m). This time last year, that number was a positive 4.1 billion yen.

Sony blamed this on falling PS3 and PSP sales, which were only "partially" offset by sales of PlayStation Vita. Sony, however, chose not to reveal specific Vita sales, which were instead lumped together with sales of PSP - which still outsells Vita, weekly, in Japan.

quote:

After Sony returned a record net loss of $5.8-billion for the last fiscal year to March 31, Mr. Hirai promised 10,000 job cuts and big cost reductions in the TV unit, which has clocked losses of about $12-billion in the past decade.

Which sort of serves my original point. I don't think Sony can do the $600 console that costs them $800 to make. Also, 4K in mass market are likely five years away.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

MUFFlNS posted:

I don't think anyone was saying that and if they were, they were loonies. The Wii came out late, we'd already seen what the 360 was doing, and Nintendo flat out said "Yeah we're not going HD we're just going to make games for the family."

For a graphical leap from the Wii U, that wide, the price of the console would be nasty, and if the Wii U has great software sales third parties will stick around and port up instead of down.

Of course this is all ideal. If the only top-selling games on the Wii U are Mario and Nintendo Land, it will be the Wii all over again.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

I just want to point out that this writer is either, a, super hardcore, or b, wildly out of touch...

quote:

Vita hit the stores earlier this year, the latest in a line of mobile gaming gadgets in the spirit of Nintendo’s Game Boy and Atari’s Lynx, but some analysts have questioned whether there is room for such a device in a market increasingly dominated by games played on smart phones and tablets.

Why not NEC's TurboExpress or SNK's Neo Geo Pocket Color?!

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

MUFFlNS posted:

R&D for console development takes years. The hardware would have been finalized quite a while ago, especially since developers have been working on launch games for the new Sony/Microsoft consoles for the past two years at least.

Apparently Sony in particular are being particularly ambitious, with the PS4 rumoured quite heavily to be designed to support a 4k resolution (to tie-in with the new TVs that are supposed to be coming out at some point) which will make the Wii U's 1080p maximum resolution look quite wimpy in comparison (even though I think most Wii U games so far are only 720p native?).

The thing with resolution is that it has diminishing returns assuming screen size remains constant, which at this point is probably true unless we all adopt LED walls or something.

In addition, you're probably going to run into the same issue as the PS3/360 where the consoles really couldn't output at that resolution, so it will be upscaled from "only" 1080p (or whatever), making the distinction minimal.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

zenintrude posted:

Why not NEC's TurboExpress or SNK's Neo Geo Pocket Color?!

Or GameGear. It says it was from a Berlin Reuters so I wonder which hand helds Germany got.

Videotendo
Jan 5, 2011

Button Masher
Really, I'm not really worried, nor do I care, if third parties want to port games to the Wii U when the PS4/720 comes out. The major failing of the Wii was that the controller was so utterly unconventional and had almost no recognizable features on it. It was hard for anyone to make good games on it. The only market that could latch on in any serious way was the casual market, via very basic controls and party games.

That's the Wii U has going for it: It has all the buttons all developers know how to use. Yes, there is the motion control and there is the touch screen, but that isn't all it has. Their hands aren't tied to a strictly ridiculous control scheme. I think this is the exact reason why the DS was so great for both the core and casual markets while the core market was crippled on the Wii from the start.

I don't know if the Wii U has a chance at beating out the PS4/720, but due to how much kinder Nintendo has been to third parties, AND because the controller can be as wacky or normal as you want it to be, I think the Wii U will get some great third party stuff throughout its lifetime.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

Why are home console graphics so much more important to developers, publishers, and the consumer when compared to portables?

For all intents and purposes a 3DS is equivalent to a Dreamcast while the Vita is somewhere between a PS2 and a PS3 (probably closer to the latter) and yet the 3DS is trouncing the Vita in terms of game support and sales.

Has there ever been a good explanation as to why graphics matter less, seemingly for all involved, on portables?

[edit] And this can be traced back forever...

GB vs. Lynx
GB vs. Game Gear
GB vs. TurboExpress
GB vs. Neo Geo Pocket
GB vs. Wonder Swan
GBC vs. NGPC
GBC vs. WS Color/Crystal
GBA vs. N-Gage
DS vs. PSP

testtubebaby fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Sep 17, 2012

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
I think the other elephant in the room is the Kinect/Move. if Microsoft and Sony believe that this is the 'future of gaming' or whatever and insist that their next control scheme be a Wiimote-esque thing then developers may shift focus more to the graphically less demanding but (control wise) easier Wii U.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!
Sony and MS would be fools not to set their Next Gen specs at a level that makes it an immediately noticeable upgrade from the Wii U. The big question is how will developers respond. Using the gorgeous lighting and particle effects possible on UE4 and Fox Engine is one thing, but utilizing the extra power for gameplay impossible in the current gen isn't a given. There will absolutely be the Assassins Creed 7s and the GTA6s that simply won't function on the Wii U, but by that time the Wii U should be cheap enough that it's an 'and' rather than 'or' console like the Wii is now. Plus there are some genres that are prohibitively expensive to develop with cutting edge graphics, at least early in a console's life cycle. Final Fantasy 10, for example, was extremely linear and it wasn't until Final Fantasy XII that Square really had the PS2 going at full throttle.

I'm not exactly optimistic that developers won't abandon the Wii U once the next generation is at full swing, but there are still too many variables to make the call.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

zenintrude posted:

Why are home console graphics so much more important to developers, publishers, and the consumer when compared to portables?

For all intents and purposes a 3DS is equivalent to a Dreamcast while the Vita is somewhere between a PS2 and a PS3 (probably closer to the latter) and yet the 3DS is trouncing the Vita in terms of game support and sales.

Has there ever been a good explanation as to why graphics matter less, seemingly for all involved, on portables?

Combo of the DS being awesome and loved. And the fact that this 'gimick' was a cool one, glasses free 3d that you can turn off if you dont like it?

Contrast with the psp with wasnt much loved and the vita didnt seem that much more different then the last one. Its gimmick was lame, a touchpad where you cant see where your touching!

So its a lot of things like then. Consoles are more easily distilled down into "which one runs the games there all getting best?"

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

zenintrude posted:

Without getting into anayltics, let me put it this way: Vita ain't got no games yo.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

computer parts posted:

I think the other elephant in the room is the Kinect/Move. if Microsoft and Sony believe that this is the 'future of gaming' or whatever and insist that their next control scheme be a Wiimote-esque thing then developers may shift focus more to the graphically less demanding but (control wise) easier Wii U.

I think Sony safely abandonned the move. There was word that the next xbox would be built around kinect, back before people got tired of it/couldnt get it to work. They might still try to intigrate it into voice commands for EVERYTHING along with their media hub angle.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

computer parts posted:

It still confuses me how people would complain about the price of the Wii-U but to get a 360 on a 250GB hard drive with Kinect you're looking at $400. Just a 360 4GB is $199 at BestBuy in Canada but $299 is too much for a brand new console? I just don't get it. The PS3 160GB is $249, only $50 cheaper for 152GB of built in data instead of getting a touch screen GamePad. But the Wii U is too expensive at $299/$349.

The Operative
Mar 15, 2012

I'd rather run over you with my car!
Why do we assume that next generation games will need to be downported to the Wii U? If the architecture across all three platforms are similar enough, games are more likely to lead on the Wii U than any other device.

Edit:

zenintrude posted:

Your answer, it doesn't have games, only explains why consumers aren't buying the system.

But why doesn't it have games? If developers and publishers flock to consoles that have better processing power, then the Vita should be overflowing with content... and then, seemingly, people would love the Vita!

However, that's not happening and no one knows why...

Few people are willing to pay $250 for a dedicated gaming handheld. Also, without a strong userbase, not very many developers are willing to embrace the platform.

The Operative fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Sep 17, 2012

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

Lizard Bastard posted:

Without getting into anayltics, let me put it this way: Vita ain't got no games yo.

Your answer, it doesn't have games, only explains why consumers aren't buying the system.

But why doesn't it have games? If developers and publishers flock to consoles that have better processing power, then the Vita should be overflowing with content... and then, seemingly, people would love the Vita!

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Louisgod posted:

I suppose my point is if you're looking at newer generation games running on UE4 and on Square's Fox Engine and similar engines, then you will see gimped ports on the WiiU
I don't know about that. Epic is scaling down UE4 to run on smartphones. Their posturing with Wii U is no different than when they said the next Xbox/PS weren't capable of running their engine -- of course that's not going to be true, but they're trying to make a play and convince Microsoft/Sony/Nintendo to increase the power of their boxes.

I think it's disingenuous to say that the Wii U is similar to current-gen tech; current-gen tech is six years old and the tech in the Wii U is not. The memory is not, the GPU is not, the CPU is not. Whether it can run with the other next-gen systems, we'll only know when the other systems are opened up.

95% of developers are still going to be using Unreal Engine and aren't going to have a COD budget, so the Wii U shouldn't present any real barrier. Wii U is also much friendlier to Japanese developers than the next Xbox will be, so Square-Enix will certainly scale their new engine to it.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

zenintrude posted:

It's almost like developers will flock to wherever their games will sell.

The 3DS is super barren right now though, aside N64 remakes and Mario Kart 7. Glad the Wii U's release is addressing that.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

The Operative posted:

Why do we assume that next generation games will need to be downported to the Wii U? If the architecture across all three platforms are similar enough, games are more likely to lead on the Wii U than any other device.

Uhm but the architecture WON'T be similar enough, especially when you look at the numerous engines being made for the 720/PS4 and developer comments about how they're not supporting the WiiU with those engines (UE4, anyway). They will not lead on the WiiU when the new 720/PS4 come out.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Louisgod posted:

Uhm but the architecture WON'T be similar enough, especially when you look at the numerous engines being made for the 720/PS4 and developer comments about how they're not supporting the WiiU with those engines (UE4, anyway). They will not lead on the WiiU when the new 720/PS4 come out.

You have a source for UE4? A quick google has a bunch of hits saying it will be on WiiU. But Im at work so most game sites are blocked.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Bobnumerotres posted:

It's almost like developers will flock to wherever their games will sell.

The 3DS is super barren right now though, aside N64 remakes and Mario Kart 7. Glad the Wii U's release is addressing that.

Nobody should buy Nintendo handhelds these days until they have had two years of life. Those two years should be spent playing all of the DS games (or in the DS' case, GBA games) you didn't play at full price and ended up missing on. By the time you finish those (there should be around 30 different games) then go ahead and buy a 3DS.

Only reason I got a 3DS early was because I had the money on Boxing Day, it was $40 cheaper (so Mario Kart 7 was basically free) and it let me give my DS lite to my nephew.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Bombadilillo posted:

You have a source for UE4? A quick google has a bunch of hits saying it will be on WiiU. But Im at work so most game sites are blocked.

Epic Games was mostly bluffing and trying to get companies to make stronger consoles, but that's not going to happen. No one wants to spend 500 dollars on a console and no one's going to take hundred dollar losses on console sales anymore.

extremebuff fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Sep 17, 2012

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Marc Rein has already said UE4 can run on Wii U, like I said they are posturing and trying to squeeze these companies. They are going to try to put it on everything. Get those sweet royalties.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

^^^^Thats good news.

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Nobody should buy Nintendo handhelds these days until they have had two years of life. Those two years should be spent playing all of the DS games (or in the DS' case, GBA games) you didn't play at full price and ended up missing on. By the time you finish those (there should be around 30 different games) then go ahead and buy a 3DS.

Only reason I got a 3DS early was because I had the money on Boxing Day, it was $40 cheaper (so Mario Kart 7 was basically free) and it let me give my DS lite to my nephew.

Or get gamefly and rent sweet DS games!

The Operative
Mar 15, 2012

I'd rather run over you with my car!

Louisgod posted:

Unless I am mistaken, Mark Rein already mentioned that UE4 can run on Wii U.

quote:

"I'll state that I don't think it's our intention to bring Unreal Engine 4 to Wii U, but Unreal Engine 4 is going to be supremely scalable."

"We'll run on mobile phones and on a wide variety of things, so if a customer decides they want to port an Unreal Engine 4 game to Wii U, they could."

Source

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

It's a leverage thing. They also 'have no intention' of bringing UE4 to the other systems either, because there's no rush and maybe they can get what they want if they continue to sit on their hands. The official stance, in that same article is "beyond the PC, we haven't confirmed any other platforms for Unreal Engine 4."

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

Louisgod posted:

Louisgod posted:

I think it's far too early to make statements like this since we know next to nothing about the next X-box/PS4

No offense but I think this fits.

The Operative posted:

Unless I am mistaken, Mark Rein already mentioned that UE4 can run on Wii U.

Source

Yeah it was pretty much a "Oh it can go on there... but we're not gonna put for the effort to do it" sort of thing.

Commissar Ken fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Sep 17, 2012

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!

zenintrude posted:

...For all intents and purposes a 3DS is equivalent to a Dreamcast...
The 3DS is actually closer to Gamecube than Dreamcast. It has slower CPU than the GC, but a comparable GPU that can do some lighting effects in hardware.

Handheld development is different in general. Developers on Sony's handhelds tend to be sub AAA studios trying to make pared down ports/sequels of AAA games without the level of talent the original developers had, whereas Nintendo's handhelds have generally gotten more unique games due to being significantly less powerful.

Of course the 3DS sort of breaks the trend, at least until this Novemeber, by being comparable enough to the Wii to get Wii ports and Gamecube sequels.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Commissar Ken posted:

Yeah it was pretty much a "Oh it can go on there... but we're not gonna put for the effort to do it" sort of thing.

Of course every software engine developer wants the consoles to have turbo boost and run on rocket fuel. They're not paying for the gas, they're just slapping on their logo and grabbing up all the royalties.

Just look at some of the stuff Crytek has said they want in consoles. I don't think they realize that Micro/Sony/Nin are the ones that have all the pull, without them they're not selling poo poo.

extremebuff fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Sep 17, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Commissar Ken posted:

No offense but I think this fits.

I think there's a difference between architecture and engines, though, even though they go hand in hand in a way. I know it seems like I'm trying to twist the narrative to fit my points, but do you or others honestly not see the WiiU being the home to dumbed down ports or at least home to ports from the current generation like it's already becoming (ME3, Batman, etc.)?

Quest For Glory II posted:

It's a leverage thing. They also 'have no intention' of bringing UE4 to the other systems either, because there's no rush and maybe they can get what they want if they continue to sit on their hands. The official stance, in that same article is "beyond the PC, we haven't confirmed any other platforms for Unreal Engine 4."

This is the big point: The engine can run on the WiiU and other platforms, but at what sacrifice, and will developers choose it over UE3 even if it means they'll have to spend more on development costs? It's good to see that Epic was just blowing smoke up people's asses.

• Locked thread