Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004
Photos, with bonus cat trying to help...

You can see the black wire I'm talking about in that one, it's just hanging out and goes somewhere in the body of the guitar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

I'd say offhand that it looks like the bridge ground wire, but I'll have to admit to being completely unfamiliar with that bridge/tailpiece setup. Not what I was expecting to see at all on a Strat. Someone who knows more about the various models could probably tell you for sure.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

What's under that blob of electrical tape?

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004

Thumposaurus posted:

What's under that blob of electrical tape?

Blob of solder connecting the two pieces of black wire it wraps.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
You don't ground to bridge with emgs so just try making sure everything is connected properly and that that wire from the bridge stud isn't making contact with your electronics.

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004
I think it might be the instrument port? If I tap it with a screwdriver when it's plugged in it makes a "pop". Is that normal? The wiring on it looks okay as far as I can tell. Nothing crossed, nothing frayed, solid soldered connections...

revolther
May 27, 2008
Random question, maybe someone more knowledgeable will know.

Is there any way to tell by "resting tune" if your truss rod/neck needs adjustment?

By "resting tune" I mean, I tune it perfect, case it, then comeback in a week and it's a tiny bit sharp. I dunno, I might be making up issues with the instrument out of fear, and if it was getting flats I probably wouldn't be alarmed.

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

So back in the day when I was all :black101: about music, I picked up one of these: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/esp-ltd-m-100fm-electric-guitar (LTD M-100FM). I threw a Seymour Duncan pickup set in it, and generally loved the way it sounded and played.

Now that I am not working 60 hours a week just to survive though, I have a little more time to play seriously again. Only thing is, I'm not all :black101: anymore and the Floyd trem just ends up being an enormous pain in the rear end now. Am I better off selling it to fund something with a hardtail? Or will I be ok just blocking the trem?

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
Block it or pick up a tremel-no. Either way, it should be much less hassle.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
Any opinions on the Vox lil nightrain 2w? I have a crate v3112t and have to use the attenuator a ton with it. Sounds good and all but the thought of having a mini head and cab sounds appealing too. Also spending $25 to change tubes vs $80 sounds nice.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

revolther posted:

Random question, maybe someone more knowledgeable will know.

Is there any way to tell by "resting tune" if your truss rod/neck needs adjustment?

By "resting tune" I mean, I tune it perfect, case it, then comeback in a week and it's a tiny bit sharp. I dunno, I might be making up issues with the instrument out of fear, and if it was getting flats I probably wouldn't be alarmed.

Is it the open strings that are sharp, or is the intonation going out on notes higher up the neck? I'm really just guessing here, but if your open strings are going sharp then there's a tension increase coming from somewhere - maybe a temperature/humidity change could cause the neck or rod to straighten, but I don't know if that would consistently happen every time you retuned.

How are you tuning it? If you're tuning from above the note, it's possible the string is sticking in the nut and leaving excess tension on the other side, so when it finally equalises your strings end up slightly sharp. You're best tuning up from below the note, starting over if you go too far and end up sharp, and give the string a good bend at the first or second fret before you check if it's in tune, just to work through any tension imbalance

Concatenation
Jul 23, 2005

Your human mentality cries out for vengeance and thrives on the violence you say you can hardly endure.

IuniusBrutus posted:

So back in the day when I was all :black101: about music, I picked up one of these: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/esp-ltd-m-100fm-electric-guitar (LTD M-100FM). I threw a Seymour Duncan pickup set in it, and generally loved the way it sounded and played.

Now that I am not working 60 hours a week just to survive though, I have a little more time to play seriously again. Only thing is, I'm not all :black101: anymore and the Floyd trem just ends up being an enormous pain in the rear end now. Am I better off selling it to fund something with a hardtail? Or will I be ok just blocking the trem?

Most of my guitar trems are blocked, it's really quite easy, assuming you have the facilities to cut a bit of wood to the right shape. Plus, it'll have rock-solid tuning stability.

revolther
May 27, 2008

baka kaba posted:

Is it the open strings that are sharp, or is the intonation going out on notes higher up the neck? I'm really just guessing here, but if your open strings are going sharp then there's a tension increase coming from somewhere - maybe a temperature/humidity change could cause the neck or rod to straighten, but I don't know if that would consistently happen every time you retuned.

How are you tuning it? If you're tuning from above the note, it's possible the string is sticking in the nut and leaving excess tension on the other side, so when it finally equalises your strings end up slightly sharp. You're best tuning up from below the note, starting over if you go too far and end up sharp, and give the string a good bend at the first or second fret before you check if it's in tune, just to work through any tension imbalance
Thanks for the response, I gave it a few tunings and a few days. I had been tuning up, but bending the first few frets to give the tension a little workout and settle seems to have helped. The difference wasn't huge, or even very noticeable, but thanks for the helpful tip.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

I just realised I had that backwards, if you're tuning down from higher tension and it's sticking then you're probably going to have lower tension behind the nut, so your strings would go flat later (and sharp if you were tuning up like what youse was), so yeah that explains it!

I do the bending thing all the time and I rarely go out of tune now - another thing you could do is rub a pencil through the nut slots, get a coating of graphite on there so it's nice and slippery

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

o hay guys :coal:

I'm alright at picking out bits of guitar riffs by ear and experimentation, but I've been trying to piece together the guitar parts for this song for weeks and just can't quite seem to figure it out. There are no tablature links online that I've been able to find and I'd like to at least get the basics tabbed out so I can try to learn it.

It's a Crowbar track called Symbiosis, from the Sever The Wicked Hand album. I'm not sure if it's played in Drop A or B Standard (they seem to use both for different songs, like Planets Collide and December's Spawn are in B Standard while Repulsive In Its Splendid Beauty and To Carry The Load are Drop A).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDXeM9qCibE

Any help figuring out the intro riff would be greatly appreciated, as I'm stumped.

Professor Science
Mar 8, 2006
diplodocus + mortarboard = party
I need to buy a volume pedal, but I know nothing about volume pedals and tyranny of choice is starting to get to me. I'm leaning towards this

http://www.morleypedals.com/dpvo+.html

is that sane for basic guitar usage? it's $80 or so, am I better off spending $50 on a used Ernie Ball from craigslist?

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Professor Science posted:

I need to buy a volume pedal, but I know nothing about volume pedals and tyranny of choice is starting to get to me. I'm leaning towards this

http://www.morleypedals.com/dpvo+.html

is that sane for basic guitar usage? it's $80 or so, am I better off spending $50 on a used Ernie Ball from craigslist?

Eighty bucks is about right for what I've seen most pedals going for, but if you're unsure, the thirty dollars you'd save by grabbing a used one is thirty dollars towards your next pedal purchase.

I like the fact the one you linked is avoiding pots, I might stick that on my own list of future pedal purchases.

Hexenritter fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Sep 9, 2012

sunburstbasser
Dec 19, 2010
Morley pedals seem to be a little larger than Ernie Ball pedals, if board space is a consideration.

Professor Science
Mar 8, 2006
diplodocus + mortarboard = party

sunburstbasser posted:

Morley pedals seem to be a little larger than Ernie Ball pedals, if board space is a consideration.
Don't have a pedalboard at the moment, although considering I now have 7 pedals and a footswitch for the amp, that is probably going to be a good idea soon... (I'll have to get recommendations at some point, wooh)

Mradyfist
Sep 3, 2007

People that can eat people are the luckiest people in the world
I just started taking some guitar lessons a week ago and picked up babby's first guitar this Saturday, and I honestly can't believe that I've spent so much of my life not playing guitar. Jesus this thing is fun; my main instrument has always been bass, and I'm pretty competent on sax, drums, and keyboard as well, but every time I've taken up a new instrument it's always seemed really frustrating for months.

I thought guitar was going to be a lot trickier than piano, which was the most recent instrument I picked up, but I'm only three days into actually owning a guitar and I just played through a halfway decent sounding rendition of Zombie by the Cranberries, while singing. All of a sudden it makes so much sense to me how even mediocre guitar players always seemed to be able to fake their way through so many songs.

So here's my dilemma: I did the dumb thing everybody says not to do and bought one of those $100 Rogue acoustic packs from Guitar Center, thinking of it almost more like a rental than anything. I'm sitting around in Portland for the next two weeks with nothing to do but practice guitar, but then I've got a bunch of traveling to do and while I could happily put a decent acoustic on my credit card now, it can't come on the plane with me because my acoustic bass already takes up my carry-on item/gate check. So this piece of poo poo that I bought is going to sit in a storage space for about a year.

I'll be overseas for work during that time, and while I'm actually there I'll have unlimited access to a bunch of good guitars, so I don't really need one then, but I'll also be spending a bunch of time living out of hotels and traveling for the next month and a half, and I'd really like to have something to practice on during that time to keep my enthusiasm up. The catch is that it would have to be small enough and durable enough to get packed into a checked suitcase, so I was thinking of something along the lines of this guy.

Is something like that worth buying? I think I'm mostly interested in steel-string acoustic stuff, if I practiced on that a bunch would it transfer over well to an acoustic? I don't have a big problem with spending $300 (or potentially more) on something if it will make me happy, but I don't want to blow a bunch of money on a gimmick that I'll just stick in the closet when I've got access to a regular guitar instead. I could try playing it at a store here, but I don't really have a good idea of what I want a guitar to feel like yet so I'd just be embarrassing myself muddling through some basic chords.

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

Mradyfist posted:

...I don't really have a good idea of what I want a guitar to feel like yet so I'd just be embarrassing myself muddling through some basic chords.

Don't be afraid to play a guitar in the store, no matter how little you might know. If you try out a few different models you'll start to get a feel for what you like and what you don't. I went through three or four cheap guitars in the span of a few months when I first started out, each time getting something I liked a bit better than the previous one as I learned more about the hardware. The guys at the music store were incredibly accommodating as they listened to me repeat both of the chords I knew, over and over again (poorly).

I'm still just a hack, mostly a campfire strummer with no real ambition to perform, but between me and my son (he's the real player) we have a nice collection of inexpensive but comfy and easy-to-play guitars in the house.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

What are the best options for a really solid distortion/fuzz pedal? I'll be playing a mix of progressive metal + lots of sludge metal with. Think thick, fuzzy, very textured. I guess I'm looking for a very strong shoegaze kind of distortion but also something defined enough to get similar tones as Between the Buried and Me, The Contortionist, etc "punchy" sounding guitar work.

Also to add to the general discussion I recently got back into guitar. I started around 8-9 years ago (something like that) and spent the last 3ish years slacking a lot. I'm so happy i've found my groove again. It's pretty surprising how long your muscle memory lasts too, my speed and accuracy came back really quickly.

Kilometers Davis fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Sep 12, 2012

TriggerHappy
Mar 14, 2007

Mradyfist posted:

The catch is that it would have to be small enough and durable enough to get packed into a checked suitcase, so I was thinking of something along the lines of this guy.

Is something like that worth buying? I think I'm mostly interested in steel-string acoustic stuff, if I practiced on that a bunch would it transfer over well to an acoustic? I don't have a big problem with spending $300 (or potentially more) on something if it will make me happy, but I don't want to blow a bunch of money on a gimmick that I'll just stick in the closet when I've got access to a regular guitar instead. I could try playing it at a store here, but I don't really have a good idea of what I want a guitar to feel like yet so I'd just be embarrassing myself muddling through some basic chords.

I switch between my steel string acoustic and my electrics fairly often, and the skills are definitely transferable. There's a bit of technique difference between the two, and anything higher than the 14th fret or so is next to impossible on the acoustic, but basic stuff like chord shapes, strumming patterns, etc, should all mostly carry over.

Definitely play at a store if you can. Guitar stores are probably more used to beginners coming in than you think.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Thanks to everyone on multi-effect pedal advice. I picked up a Boss ME-25 for $80 shipped. Now I just need a power cord. Seems silly you have to buy them separate.

Fmoof
Jan 2, 2004
Just a quick question. Whenever I play my Dmajor chord, I always strum all the strings while muting the top two with my thumb. Is that a bad idea, and should I get into the habit of just strumming the top four strings?

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Fmoof posted:

Just a quick question. Whenever I play my Dmajor chord, I always strum all the strings while muting the top two with my thumb. Is that a bad idea, and should I get into the habit of just strumming the top four strings?

You should mute every string you're not using at all times whenever possible. Even if you're playing a d major scale you should be able to strum all 6 strings and only hear 1 note.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Depends on whether or not it's an easy reach for you. If it is, great, whatever, if it isn't, you're going to hurt yourself.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Fmoof posted:

My method: first finger barre, second finger on second string, third string reaches over to rest on sixth string to mute it.(could mute from the fifth string also) You should learn how to only strum certain strings too though; some patterns alternate between top and bottom strings.

the tingler
Jul 15, 2009

Salt Fish posted:

You should mute every string you're not using at all times whenever possible. Even if you're playing a d major scale you should be able to strum all 6 strings and only hear 1 note.

That sounds like a lot of wasted effort for a scale. I can understand muting an adjacent string once in a while if the technique calls for it, but really, all six?

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

burritonegro posted:

That sounds like a lot of wasted effort for a scale. I can understand muting an adjacent string once in a while if the technique calls for it, but really, all six?

You let your fretting fingers lay against the higher strings and the heel of your picking hand against the lower ones, so you're kinda 'surrounding' the string you want to ring out. It's really helpful because it eliminates sympathetic vibration (where other strings start vibrating along with the guitar) and it makes high-gain playing sound a lot cleaner.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat
Yeah, I can agree with this; the vibration poo poo is a pain in the rear end, so using your using your picking hand's palm to rest on unused strings is really helpful with cutting that poo poo out.

gotly
Oct 28, 2007
Economy-Sized
What does this guy have on his thumb:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XYlVU45WlnA

Also, what do you call this technique? It's awesome and percussive and I want to learn it.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

gotly posted:

What does this guy have on his thumb:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XYlVU45WlnA

Also, what do you call this technique? It's awesome and percussive and I want to learn it.

Looks like a thumbpick, and it seems like fairly standard fingerpicking style to me.

Anyone ever hear of Canvas Guitars? Deceased company, but it seemed to be handmade, but chinese guitars.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

There are a few names for the percussive thing, like 'chucking'. Here's a how-to anyway
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HnhbAvAruao

e: actually it sounds more like mostly palm muting now I'm paying attention - same deal really, just being lighter on your muting so the notes still ring out a bit

baka kaba fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Sep 16, 2012

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
Oh! The chucking. Nice video, I hadn't tried it in a while. Is it me or is it harder to do it on an electric than an acoustic?

... now, if you'll excuse me, I seem to have cheese-sliced my knuckles.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Yeah phosphor bronze is like a soft fleecy caress against your skin or something - but hey at least it was just your knuckles! It's the cuticle shred that'll get ya

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010
Hi guitar thread. I hope this is the right place to ask, I couldn't find anywhere more relevant.

I've just bought this practice amp, and now I want a guitar to go with it. I don't have much money to spend, so I'm looking to spend around £150, which I know isn't a lot to spend on a guitar. Is there a specific brand I should look at in that price range, or, more importantly, is there a brand I should avoid? Any help appreciated.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
Well, you're in England. So some of our usual suggestions don't bear out. But it's okay.

How do you want to rock? What do you want the guitar to look like? Have you been to one of the big shops?

Who do you want to play like? It's best if you find something that fits you, something that excites you.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

Warcabbit posted:

Well, you're in England. So some of our usual suggestions don't bear out. But it's okay.

How do you want to rock? What do you want the guitar to look like? Have you been to one of the big shops?

Who do you want to play like? It's best if you find something that fits you, something that excites you.

I haven't been to any music shops yet, the thought terrifies me (probably). I've had a little look online and I prefer the look of the telecaster to the stratocaster. Gibson's Les Paul is probably my favourite as far as looks go. I honestly wouldn't be able to tell them apart by sound alone, I have no idea how they differ that way.

I don't really know what to be looking for when it comes to buying one, apart from 'looks nice' - and I don't want to fall into a trap of buying a poo poo guitar just because it's painted well.

Johnny Marr (The Smiths) and John Squire (Stone Roses) are my two favourite guitarists, but really I just want something that will sound okay with that amp, and won't break down or fail on me in a couple of years because it's cheap. Thinline, Squier, Encore and Rockburn are the brands I've seen that fall into my price range, are any of them any good?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sadsack
Mar 5, 2009

Fighting evil with cups of tea and crippling self-doubt.

stickyfngrdboy posted:

I haven't been to any music shops yet, the thought terrifies me (probably). I've had a little look online and I prefer the look of the telecaster to the stratocaster. Gibson's Les Paul is probably my favourite as far as looks go. I honestly wouldn't be able to tell them apart by sound alone, I have no idea how they differ that way.

I don't really know what to be looking for when it comes to buying one, apart from 'looks nice' - and I don't want to fall into a trap of buying a poo poo guitar just because it's painted well.

Johnny Marr (The Smiths) and John Squire (Stone Roses) are my two favourite guitarists, but really I just want something that will sound okay with that amp, and won't break down or fail on me in a couple of years because it's cheap. Thinline, Squier, Encore and Rockburn are the brands I've seen that fall into my price range, are any of them any good?

Squiers are pretty good, and I would imagine a lot of the guitar players here started out on a Squier. Yamaha Pacifica's are good as well. It's also worth having a look at Vintage guitars. General opinion is that they are as good (or even better) than the equivalent Squiers and Epiphones. I've not played an Encore or Rockburn guitar, but to be honest they don't fill me with confidence.

If you could bump your budget up to £200 (or even £250) you can get yourself a guitar that will last you a long old time.