Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

yoohoo
Nov 15, 2004
A little disrespect and rudeness can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day
The "prompt replies for meaningful inquiries" phrase sounds like someone hit the thesaurus before hand, but otherwise it seems fine.

To check just turn it on and make sure it boots in the 11 seconds or so it should take. Open a bunch of applications immediately and try using a couple of them simultaneously to make sure the RAM and SSD can handle the workload. Then restart the computer to again make sure the SSD is legit (should take ~15-20 seconds max to reboot).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

fleshweasel posted:

I think it might actually be the entire system can't address more than 4GB and one process can't address more than 2GB.

Yes, this is what I meant. You still benefit by having up to about 3 gigs of RAM on a 32-bit OS. A single 32-bit application (regardless of if you're running a 32- or 64-bit OS) can't access more than 2 gigs of RAM; if your system has >2 gigs free memory when idle, there is no reason to get more RAM fora a single 32-bit application, which currently includes all games in a meaningful sense.

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

I have a Mac Pro 1,1 with an AMD Radeon HD 4870 that I flashed a few years ago, but the RAM on the card has gone bad, so I need to buy a new one. I'm willing to buy another 4870 and flash it again, but I'm wondering if there might be something easier now? I got the 4870 because I do a lot of graphics work in After Effects but also use boot camp to play some games like Bioshock and Batman Arkham City. Is there a cheap, quality video card I can buy that I can throw in my machine that'll work the same or is my best bet still to get another PC 4870 and flash it?

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

univbee posted:

Yes, this is I meant. You still benefit by having up to about 3 gigs of RAM on a 32-bit OS. A single 32-bit application (regardless of if you're running a 32- or 64-bit OS) can't access more than 2 gigs of RAM; if your system has >2 gigs free memory when idle, there is no reason to get more RAM fora a single 32-bit application, which currently includes all games in a meaningful sense.

That's not true either, unless you're on Windows. UNIX application could generally use up to 3GB on a 32 bit kernel (with 1GB as kernel address space), and 32 bit applications can use 4GB on a 64-bit kernel.

In the case of OSX, it does transparent PAE for 64 bit since 10.5 (64 bit kernel wasn't the default until Lion), so again, 32 bit apps could use 4GB of memory. It's difficult to find documentation on how much kernel address space XNU needs. At about 64b for every 4k mapped in PAE, it's something like 32MB of memory to give you 32GB of addressable memory.

In other words, this could not be more wrong, especially as it applies to OSX.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

bassguitarhero posted:

I have a Mac Pro 1,1 with an AMD Radeon HD 4870 that I flashed a few years ago, but the RAM on the card has gone bad, so I need to buy a new one. I'm willing to buy another 4870 and flash it again, but I'm wondering if there might be something easier now? I got the 4870 because I do a lot of graphics work in After Effects but also use boot camp to play some games like Bioshock and Batman Arkham City. Is there a cheap, quality video card I can buy that I can throw in my machine that'll work the same or is my best bet still to get another PC 4870 and flash it?

I'm pretty sure you can use anything from the Radeon 5xxx/6xxx series, as well as Geforce 6xx (and maybe 5xx) as long as you don't use Bootcamp, since there won't be any graphics at boot without EFI strings. If you need that, get some cheapo supported card and use that as your display device for booting.

Edit:

See here for more discussion.

x-virge
May 25, 2003

fleshweasel posted:

I think it might actually be the entire system can't address more than 4GB and one process can't address more than 2GB.

One 32-bit process can't access more than 4 GB. The 2 GB limit you guys are thinking of might be something that applies to Windows or non-PAE systems or something that's not true of Mac OS X's x86.

The entire system could definitely address more than 4 GB for a long while due to PAE.

But for Mac OS X, especially now, 4 GB is the single-process 32-bit limit. It's in the opening paragraphs of the 64-bit transition document, for example.

edit: vvv Ah, Windows people. Nevermind then.

x-virge fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Sep 17, 2012

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

The original guy was asking about 8GB vs 16GB in Bootcamp

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl
In which case it should just be 16GB, since he's already thinking about dropping >$2k for a rMBP, and the GPU is going to choke a long time before memory is important.

The 4GB/LARGEADDRESS patcher for Windows is common enough if gamers are really convinced that the developer is a drooling retard who didn't bother to test whether or not addressing more memory would really help performance, but the guys with watercoolers in mom's basement can squeeze more oomph out of it.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

So if I want to get a new laptop, I would need the MBP to keep the 15" screen. However the MBP is more expensive and has a lot of stuff I really don't need. On the other hand, the 13" MBA gives me the same resolution, a solid state drive, but I would have to buy separate peripherals for cd burning and for an audio in. Perhaps I should go for a refurb MBA that still has the audio-in switcher for the headphone jack?

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl
How often do you really use the audio in? The new MBA is significantly faster than the refurbs. If you can, you should just get a $30 USB audio-in, and use it when necessary.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

evol262 posted:

How often do you really use the audio in? The new MBA is significantly faster than the refurbs. If you can, you should just get a $30 USB audio-in, and use it when necessary.

Not too often, but I need it for recording mixes. I'm certainly not going to buy a brand new model, just like it says not to in the OP.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Yeah, I posted the Griffin iMic earlier and no one gave a poo poo, evidently these guys want to build a grass roots movement to get Apple to give the MBA a dedicated audio in instead of shelling out $25 for a device that lets you use any standard mike for USB audio-in.

Edit: where the hell in the OP does it say not to buy a new MBP? I helped write the OP at one point, I don't see where it says don't buy a brand new MBA.

Edit 2: OP needs to be updated 'cause Apple definitely went to USB 3.0. It's in all the 2012 models of the MBP and MBA.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Sep 17, 2012

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Well there was a way to switch between audio in and audio out on previous models, why didn't the just keep that?

Oh and

quote:

Where should I buy my Mac?
Primary sources for Apple computers should always be:

Apple refurb (not always in stock, have to wait a couple months for new models, sometimes BTO models)
Apple education (BTO options, cheap AppleCare)
Amazon (no tax in many states, free shipping, no BTO)
MicroCenter

The only time you buy from the Apple store proper should be if you need a new machine the day it comes out. Otherwise, stick to the previously listed channels.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

New guy is starting and wants a 13" Pro. I was going to order him a refurb base model and then add 2x4GB and a 256GB Samsung 830, but for about the same price and zero hassle there was an i7 8GB/128GB 13" Pro in the refurb store

Apple is still using the 'old' SSD in the non-Retina Pro, right? I guess if it's as fast as the 2011 Air SSD it should be fine.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

actionjackson posted:

Not too often, but I need it for recording mixes. I'm certainly not going to buy a brand new model, just like it says not to in the OP.

It's faster and has significantly better battery life. The OP isn't updated with the 2012 models, but even given that it's not, the 2011 Air wipes its rear end with the 2010 Air. In this case, you absolutely should be buying the newest model, albeit not from Apple themselves, necessarily.

If you use it for recording mixes, you're probably going to want better audio quality than what the generic (probably ungrounded) input gave you anyway. If it's "not too often", get a USB audio device and deal with it.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Bob Morales posted:

New guy is starting and wants a 13" Pro. I was going to order him a refurb base model and then add 2x4GB and a 256GB Samsung 830, but for about the same price and zero hassle there was an i7 8GB/128GB 13" Pro in the refurb store

Apple is still using the 'old' SSD in the non-Retina Pro, right? I guess if it's as fast as the 2011 Air SSD it should be fine.

A 13" Pro isn't going to notice a significant difference between an M4, 830, and the "old" SSD, to be honest.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

evol262 posted:

It's faster and has significantly better battery life. The OP isn't updated with the 2012 models, but even given that it's not, the 2011 Air wipes its rear end with the 2010 Air. In this case, you absolutely should be buying the newest model, albeit not from Apple themselves, necessarily.

If you use it for recording mixes, you're probably going to want better audio quality than what the generic (probably ungrounded) input gave you anyway. If it's "not too often", get a USB audio device and deal with it.

They do have a mid-2012 model listed. What do you think of this price?

http://store.apple.com/us/product/FD232LL/A/refurbished-macbook-air-18ghz-dual-core-intel-core-i5

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Sep 17, 2012

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl
I think it's better than you'll find most other places (that's the newest model), but you could get it for $100 less if you can live with a 128GB HD and additional storage on USB media of some kind.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

evol262 posted:

I think it's better than you'll find most other places (that's the newest model), but you could get it for $100 less if you can live with a 128GB HD and additional storage on USB media of some kind.

That's a good point, I'm sure there's a lot of :filez: I can keep somewhere else.

What would be the best place to sell my current laptop? I'm kind of uneasy of selling it through craigslist or whatever since these are big targets for scammers.

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Sep 17, 2012

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

actionjackson posted:

That's a good point, I'm sure there's a lot of :filez: I can keep somewhere else.

What would be the best place to sell my current laptop? I'm kind of uneasy of selling it through craigslist or whatever since these are big targets for scammers.

Only sell it in person and meet in a public place. And only take cash.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Why are Apple's official max memory spec always lower than what actually works?

Syano
Jul 13, 2005
I don't know where to put this... this is strange. I just unboxed a mac mini server, set it in my rack and the ethernet connection is flapping... up down up down up down. I swapped cables and still got the same. Has anyone seen this behavior in a mac before?

EDIT: NVM figured it out. Mac wasnt negotiating line speed correctly. Manually set and works fine

Syano fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Sep 17, 2012

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

That really needs 'If you can afford it, go for the newest model but if you can't..' in front of it.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro

Syano posted:

I don't know where to put this... this is strange. I just unboxed a mac mini server, set it in my rack and the ethernet connection is flapping... up down up down up down. I swapped cables and still got the same. Has anyone seen this behavior in a mac before?
Worth calling AppleCare or visiting an Apple store.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

Shaocaholica posted:

Why are Apple's official max memory spec always lower than what actually works?

Generally because they're qualified when the machine goes on sale and larger memory is not available/not available in volume at that time.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Molten Llama posted:

Generally because they're qualified when the machine goes on sale and larger memory is not available/not available in volume at that time.

That seems kind of lazy not to update it or just test with whats available even if its 'low volume'.

Voodoo Cafe
Jul 19, 2004
"You got, uhh, Holden Caulfield in there, man?"

dexter6 posted:

Considering buying a MBA on Craigslist. Are there any diagnostics to check the RAM and SSD that I can throw on a flash drive to check it out? Anything else I should look at?

Here's the ad, by the way: http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/sys/3273956211.html

Make an appointment here, meet the guy there, and have them test the hardware/verify applecare coverage.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

evol262 posted:

Bit the bullet on the 128 GB model. Thanks for the help. I thought I was using about 115 GB after removing :filez: but I realized I had an old Windows install from Parallels taking up 22 GB.

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Sep 18, 2012

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

evol262 posted:

A 13" Pro isn't going to notice a significant difference between an M4, 830, and the "old" SSD, to be honest.

Yea, I was kind of wishy-washy between reliability, space, speed...

Now that I think about it I should have ordered the HD model (and stuck a 256GB Samsung in it), we're 2 hours from an Apple store so if it breaks it's not like we're going to get it fixed under warranty anyway.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
Just ordered the 13" Air with 8gb ram... :ohdear:

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Bob Morales posted:

I was just reading Apple's site again, and saw this:

quote:

MacBook Pro also offers an optional 128GB, 256GB, or 512GB solid-state drive, which has no moving parts for enhanced durability. These are new third-generation SATA solid-state drives, which are up to 4x faster than a traditional hard drive.

Apple makes the same 4x claim on the Air's page - so hopefully there's the new, fast drive in this model. I guess I'll find out for sure in a few days when it shows up.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Cost aside, what would be the advantage of an iMac over a MBPR docked to a thunderbolt 27inch display? I'm thinking base model retina compared to top end iMac with 256ssd. Lack of CD drive and user replaceable parts doesn't bother me.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Haggins posted:

Cost aside, what would be the advantage of an iMac over a MBPR docked to a thunderbolt 27inch display? I'm thinking base model retina compared to top end iMac with 256ssd. Lack of CD drive and user replaceable parts doesn't bother me.

The only advantage of the iMac is cost and the 27" screen

You should probably wait since an iMac refresh is probably coming very soon.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Bob Morales posted:

The only advantage of the iMac is cost and the 27" screen

You should probably wait since an iMac refresh is probably coming very soon.

Yeah I'm planning on waiting until November-ish to see what comes. If the iMacs only gets a minor bump, I don't know if I'll be compelled to them any more. I'm just kind of weighing options while the time passes.

I can get something that runs smooth as a photo editing machine for the next two years I'll be happy. I think I should just plan to sell my machine off every couple of years and buy something new. No sense in keeping a computer until it's too weak to do what you want to do and has lost almost all its value (like my 08 MBP).

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Haggins posted:

Yeah I'm planning on waiting until November-ish to see what comes. If the iMacs only gets a minor bump, I don't know if I'll be compelled to them any more. I'm just kind of weighing options while the time passes.

I can get something that runs smooth as a photo editing machine for the next two years I'll be happy. I think I should just plan to sell my machine off every couple of years and buy something new. No sense in keeping a computer until it's too weak to do what you want to do and has lost almost all its value (like my 08 MBP).
Apart from price, the main difference is that the iMac has a better graphics card in it (it remains to be seen how different the Ivy Bridge model's CPU is). Of course, you're trading the ability to just pack up the laptop and go somewhere with all your stuff already there by getting an iMac.

I've got the 512GB model of retina MBP which I use plugged into a Thunderbolt display at home and I can't really tell the difference in performance between it and the top of the line iMac my Dad bought himself last year. The retina MBP is also more responsive when using an external display in clamshell mode than when mobile because the screen resolution is quite a bit less than the Retina display.

The main downside to retina MBP + Thunderbolt is the price, but if you can afford it and you need mobile computing power it's probably your best bet.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.
If you intermix USB2 and USB3 devices into the same 2012 MBA, do your transfer speeds get capped at the max USB2 transfer rate?

e.g. suppose I have a USB3 hard drive in one port, and a USB2 mouse in the other. Will this cause the drive transfer speeds to throttle?

Sorry if this is a stupid question!

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

No. I'm doing it right now.

Why would you think that was the case? that doesn't happen when you mix usb1 and usb2 devices.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Mu Zeta posted:

No. I'm doing it right now.

Why would you think that was the case? that doesn't happen when you mix usb1 and usb2 devices.

I thought I read somewhere that the bus speed was capped to the max rate of the slowest device. However, thinking this through some more, that likely only applies if you're daisy-chaining devices..

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It's not a totally unreasonable question, there are some wire technologies out there that do drop to the lowest common denominator.

Ethernet will drop everyone to the lowest common speed if you're not using switches, for example.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

If that did happen then USB3 would have been hosed right out of the gate. I don't think there are any USB3 mice, keyboards, webcams, etc.