Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!

DamnGlitch posted:

I mean I guess I have saved some people but I figure my end game is me finding a pair of pristine, brand new glasses at the final legion area.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

DamnGlitch posted:

I mean I guess I have saved some people but I figure my end game is me finding a pair of pristine, brand new glasses at the final legion area.

Don't forget Dr Mobius'/Klein's glasses, they're both none-too-shabby if you're after some +Int.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

WE HAVE TO CONTROL OUR ENVIRONMENT
IF YOU SEE ME POSTING OUTSIDE OF THE AUSPOL THREAD PLEASE TELL ME THAT I'M MISSED AND TO START POSTING AGAIN

anviroid posted:

Yeah, the near sighted gene is probably vastly underrepresented in the wasteland genepool at this point in the timeline. I mean, sure some of them would have been in the vaults, but after that, nobody is going to know how to make any glasses. So basically I imagine if you can't see for poo poo, you die first.

Or you survive but everyone around you is killed but that's cool they all sucked and you find a library and then your glasses break. And you spend the rest of your short life scrabbling around the ruins looking for glasses.

Edit: Beaten.

I took Wild Wasteland and so far I've only encountered two WW events. I wish it had been a toggle and not an actual trait.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

What would you guys say is better than Four Eyes? I started with Good Natured and Small Frame, and switched to Four Eyes and Small Frame later when skill points became pretty useless.

With the lucky shades I get +3 Perception and +1 Luck with Four Eyes. Seems like a good deal to me, especially since I can still get better criticals and pass all the perception checks. Maybe if you're blowing through the game and don't have any time to build up stats/skills four eyes isn't worth it I guess. What in your opinion is better?

Count Chocula posted:

How do the NCR and The Legion instantly know I'm working with Mr House after the Boomer quest? The game constantly tells me that I'm the only outsider allowed in Nellis and the only person allowed in the Lucky 38. An unmarked quest even emphasizes that House is unhackable.

It annoyed me that because I killed House, got the boomers loyalty, and did some other random poo poo around the wasteland before going back to Caesar, suddenly, I'm Caesar's best bro and an enemy of the NCR.

"Did you kill House?"
"Yeah"
"Oh great. I was gonna ask you do help with the Boomers but you already did. I was gonna ask you to take care of the Brotherhood but you already did. YOU EVER PLAY OPERATION, BROTHER?"

I just wanted some gosh dang lucky shades :(

That DICK! fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Sep 17, 2012

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

kingturnip posted:

Don't forget Dr Mobius'/Klein's glasses, they're both none-too-shabby if you're after some +Int.

I will very much forget about that! I've never played any of the DLC :v: Something to look forward to.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
End of Old World Blues spoiler:

I just killed the Think Tank because I couldn't get them to peacefully side with me. I feel like I've done something terrible.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

rotinaj posted:

I just killed the Think Tank because I couldn't get them to peacefully side with me. I feel like I've done something terrible.

It's certainly one of the worse endings, you monster.

NotALizardman
Jun 5, 2011

That DICK! posted:

What would you guys say is better than Four Eyes?

Skilled. Skilled is, without a doubt, the best trait in the game. The experience penalty isn't really a downside, especially compared to the other traits and 65 free skill points is nothing to sneeze at. It also combines great with Good Natured. Then, in OWBs, you can dumb Skilled for another trait like Hoarder and keep the skill points.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

e: /\/\/\ I only ever use Skilled and Loophole anymore.

Finished an NCR run last night; Lonesome Road was the only DLC I did. I talked dredhead down and decided to spare everyone in the Mojave from nuking, then went and did some Followers quests before the dam fight. I couldn't get them to back the NCR, was I missing something or they just won't do it? Also Lanius survived two nuke-mines and Raul died :( At least the Kings were left unmolested and the Khans stalked off and thrived elsewhere.

That makes OWB the only DLC I haven't finished a second time. Aiming to do it on my next House run.

NotALizardman
Jun 5, 2011

Saint Sputnik posted:

e: /\/\/\ I only ever use Skilled and Loophole anymore.

I don't think I've used Loophole. Or done a drugged-up run of the game in general. Now I know what I'm doing next runthrough, I guess.

quote:

I couldn't get them to back the NCR, was I missing something or they just won't do it?

I think you have to be Idolized with both factions and have completed all of Julie Farkas' quests, including the "dropping off chems" thing. I haven't done it since it was patched though, so I could be completely wrong.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

DamnGlitch posted:

I'm role playing in a role playing game? WHAAAA??? :aaa:

Options that are just plain worse than other options aren't really options at all and are just bad design. If being worse than another character is a requirement for role playing than the game's mechanics have a problem.

thedouche
Mar 20, 2007
Greetings from thedouche

:dukedog:

NotALizardman posted:

Skilled. Skilled is, without a doubt, the best trait in the game. The experience penalty isn't really a downside, especially compared to the other traits and 65 free skill points is nothing to sneeze at. It also combines great with Good Natured. Then, in OWBs, you can dumb Skilled for another trait like Hoarder and keep the skill points.

I'm nearing the end of my first playthrough of the game and I maxed out at level 50 somewhere just before Ulysses. I didn't change may traits at OWB so I suppose that I could go swap in Skilled to max out all of my skills?
I used my second to last perk to unlock all the map locations and I'm really surprised how much I missed. I thought some parts in the center of the Mojave were fairly barren of locations, but I guess I wasn't looking close enough because the map is location dense.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
I've taken four eyes before and it's hardly someone that needs to be characterized as a problem - I enjoyed those playthroughs every bit as much as ones where I just powergamed with Skilled/Logans.

Remember Jinxed from previous FO games? Similar idea I think - bonuses are properly offset by actual deficiencies - unlike Skilled where there is no real drawback involved.

E: Keep in mind that you don't HAVE to take any of these traits at all.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Remind me, is it possible to get both the YCS and alien blaster by swapping traits?

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Saint Sputnik posted:

Remind me, is it possible to get both the YCS and alien blaster by swapping traits?

I don't believe so, no.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

WrightOfWay posted:

Options that are just plain worse than other options aren't really options at all and are just bad design. If being worse than another character is a requirement for role playing than the game's mechanics have a problem.

...except you're hugely overestimating the difference between a "bad" character without skilled and a "good" character with it. Skill points aren't rare in this game at all, especially with the DLC, and its easy as hell so who cares? All of my recent playthroughs I've actually gone out of my way to avoid getting too many skill points (Jesawyer's mod is a godsend) since it makes things far too homogeneous and boring. Little flavor quirks like four-eyes or early-riser make things far more fun for me and a lot of people than boring stuff like skilled, I don't care about making the most efficient build possible.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Saint Sputnik posted:

Finished an NCR run last night; Lonesome Road was the only DLC I did. I talked dredhead down and decided to spare everyone in the Mojave from nuking, then went and did some Followers quests before the dam fight. I couldn't get them to back the NCR, was I missing something or they just won't do it? Also Lanius survived two nuke-mines and Raul died :( At least the Kings were left unmolested and the Khans stalked off and thrived elsewhere.

You can get the Followers help when you're idolized with them, but the dialog option only appears at a very specific time. You have to have completed For the Republic as far as killing Mr. House and even then I don't think it'll be available until Col. Moore has given you the Brotherhood assignment.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

WrightOfWay posted:

It's not a great trait, it is true. But traits are intentionally full of holes. maybe that one has a bigger one than most, but I took it because it was true to the character that I was making, basically someone that would be at a disadvantage without glasses. And hey, I can see a little further when I do wear them.

Recall that traits aren't supposed to be only positives like perks. Also consider that trait might not have been built with ultimate min-maxing in mind.

And yes role playing is all about having different skill sets. Perhaps you always want to roleplay a demigod but that is certainly not the case for everyone. Old school D&D tended to have a LOT of "role play this guy that hosed up on his char, str, int etc roll with those poor stats in mind."

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Saint Sputnik posted:

Man, I just found out about this gun. Between this and Johnny Five Aces, exactly how many references are there to SA in Vegas?

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

That DICK! posted:

What would you guys say is better than Four Eyes? I started with Good Natured and Small Frame, and switched to Four Eyes and Small Frame later when skill points became pretty useless.
Skilled and Logan's Loophole are easily the best traits, with Good Natured coming up there as well. The problem with Four Eyes is the way it just takes -1 to your SPECIAL and then gives all eyewear items +2 to Perception. That means that anything that requires your SPECIAL to be at an unmodified level (like perks, ie, Better Criticals) is at a -1 regardless of your displayed SPECIAL. If it somehow worked differently, it'd be a great trait. As it is, its there for roleplaying only, which isn't a bad thing.

NotALizardman
Jun 5, 2011

To continue traitchat, it really sucks that Jinxed isn't in this game, and that One in a Million wasn't salvaged from Van Buren. Could you imagine the two of them together?

I miss critical failures.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

NotALizardman posted:

To continue traitchat, it really sucks that Jinxed isn't in this game, and that One in a Million wasn't salvaged from Van Buren. Could you imagine the two of them together?

I miss critical failures.

What was One in a Million supposed to do?

NotALizardman
Jun 5, 2011

Teen Hero Greg posted:

What was One in a Million supposed to do?

Whenever you got a critical (hit or failure), it would run a second check to see if it still happened, and if so it would bump up the severity on the critical chart. Sounds like fun times!

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

rotinaj posted:

I feel like, although you could break their loops and harness their mind power to the betterment of humanity, it's probably safer for mankind if you just murder them all. There's no telling if they won't just switch back to their old ways. Not to mention how the bulk of their knowledge is just more weapons to destroy the world all over again.

You're only really a monster if you kill Dr. Mobius.

AggsOfSpades
Sep 5, 2011

SlothfulCobra posted:

You're only really a monster if you kill Dr. Mobius.

I didn't mean to. One thing led to another and we started killing each other. He seemed like such a nice, doting old man. Especially when I told him his plan could no longer work. But then we got to talking about death and he demanded I kill him.

The first time I felt bad about killing in a long time.

Zephirum
Jan 7, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Not sure if anyone's asked about this before, but I have a question about the music. While looking at Bethesda Softworks/Fallout New Vegas/Data/Music, I found a music folder titled "SCR." Do these tracks appear anywhere in the game? I can't remember hearing any of them but they kick rear end.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
I reloaded an older save, managed to bump my Science up with Dr. Mobius's labcoat and a Science magazine and passed the hacking speech check with Dr. 8.

They didn't have to die! Everyone lived! I managed I was honestly most sad about Dr. Borous and Dr. Dala. They were the last ones to die in my previous try, 'cuz I was hoping they would un-aggro and let me talk to them. After going to work, coming home and giving it another try, I got everything to work.

That ending gave me the warm fuzzies.

Edit:

After thinking about it, I really think Old World Blues is one of the better DLCs I've played. I have but haven't played Honest Hearts and intend to get Lonesome Road once I get another paycheck.

I did all the Fallout 3 DLC, I did Knights of the Nine, Shivering Isles most of the way through, and Dawnguard. While the actual questing through the Big MT area got dull after my fifth building, if I was more willing to murder everyone, I coulda probably gotten through it faster and just killed everybody. But the story told, the experience, the amount of detail and depth and interesting powers all ended up very satisfying, and once I got the best ending, I really feel like it was all worth it.

And I'm still debating keeping a max-customized power fist around, or just have a Ballistic Fist, or have a Superheated Saturnite Fist.

rotinaj fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Sep 18, 2012

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Playing Dead Money. It is not very fun. I'm not super far but I really hate these on rails DLCs. I'd just like a new area to explore.

Honestly I'd be much happier with non-story missions and areas to flesh out the main world, instead of this mini campaign or whatever the gently caress.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

DamnGlitch posted:

Playing Dead Money. It is not very fun. I'm not super far but I really hate these on rails DLCs. I'd just like a new area to explore.

Honestly I'd be much happier with non-story missions and areas to flesh out the main world, instead of this mini campaign or whatever the gently caress.

You're describing OWB. It's probably much better that they made four DLCs that cater to different tastes, rather than four DLCs that are the same exact thing in different settings.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
And Old World Blues is pretty well done. I honestly wish I just got more interactions with the primary NPCs.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Speaking of music, who did that ominous variation on the fallout3 theme that near as I can tell only plays on the splash screen or whatever and the end credits. I love it so

edit; Inon Zur! As if I needed more proof of his excellence

The Chad Jihad fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Sep 18, 2012

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Borous is pretty awful. The only ones really worth keeping alive are Dr. 0, maybe 8 as well.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

SlothfulCobra posted:

Borous is pretty awful. The only ones really worth keeping alive are Dr. 0, maybe 8 as well.
What about Dala? I felt we... shared something special. :blush:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

SlothfulCobra posted:

They're like adorable little toddlers and I can't bring myself to kill any of them. They're so enthusiastic and excitable and have no idea what the hell they're doing, and so long as you can keep them contained they won't actually hurt people anymore, just excitedly come up with theoretical concepts for you that you'll never, ever use. :3:

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

SlothfulCobra posted:

Maybe 8? 8 seemed like the best of a bad bunch to me, he was nice enough and not as noisy as the rest of them :v: 0's my favourite but yeah... kind of a psycho.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
I could never hurt O, no matter how much both he and Rusty Venture need a punch in the face.

Merry Magpie
Jan 8, 2012

A superstitious cowardly lot.

Pope Guilty posted:

I could never hurt O, no matter how much both he and Rusty Venture need a punch in the face.

0 not O!

James Urbaniak is a gem, but I would argue Sunil Malhotra (Muggy and the Courier's Brain) made Old World Blues something special.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

It was fun hearing Liquid Snake in a straight up comical role. Especially when I got through the prologue and it ends with Mobious saying something "They had been asking the wrong question..." and it sounds exactly like Liquid Snake.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I feel like the only reason 8 seems nice is because he can't actually talk. With 0 at least you know that he's harmless. As for the rest...

Klein is the leader of the bunch, and he's the most dead set on experimenting the wasteland to death.

Borous is the worst of them. He's already responsible for letting loose the night stalkers and cazadors, not to mention his high school obsession. The worst part is how he gets over Gabe, even when he knows that he did something truly awful.

Dala's sympathy for the player is clearly part of some weird fetish-like thing, and she was pretty gleeful when she was cutting your brain, spine, and heart out.

And here's a picture I found on the wiki of the think tank pre-brains. Dala, O, Borous, Klein, 8, Mobius

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thedouche
Mar 20, 2007
Greetings from thedouche

:dukedog:

Jerusalem posted:

They're like adorable little toddlers and I can't bring myself to kill any of them. They're so enthusiastic and excitable and have no idea what the hell they're doing, and so long as you can keep them contained they won't actually hurt people anymore, just excitedly come up with theoretical concepts for you that you'll never, ever use. :3:

Was this hard to do? Maybe it wasn't a problem for me since I had everything commonly used for skill checks maxed.