Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thizzin forever
Apr 10, 2007

OK, I leased an apartment and have a problem and hopefully someone can give me some idea as to what my options are, if I even have any.

The apartment is an older single-building complex with only around two dozen units run by a husband and wife, it's cheap and in a not-so-great area so I was expecting some issues with the condition of the apartment and there were a couple things noticeable on the walk through, the carpet was real bad and the bathroom sink leaked. I have a friend who cleans carpets and was planning to have him clean the place anyway and the sink at my current place leaks too so that's not really a deal breaker for me although maybe it should be. Besides, the place was cheap and within walking distance of my job so I can take that trade for a crappy sink.

Anyway, the issue is that when I came back the day after signing the lease to start moving in I notice that there are roaches everywhere. In the sink, the tub, under the counters, on the wall, the windowsill, the drapes, the loving ceiling. Just dozens of them. I didn't see any on the walkthrough and I asked specifically about them and was told they had a professional treatment service taking care of the building. I took photos of all the roaches, called the manager and asked him to come out and pointed them out to him and told him I wouldn't accept the apartment like this. His initial offer was to give him two weeks to have it cleared up and he would give me my deposit back along with lowering my rent and giving me the option to end the lease after 30 days if I wasn't satisfied. I told him I didn't think this level of infestation could be cleared in two weeks nor did I want to live 30 days with roaches and would be contacting the Department of Housing unless he refunded my deposit and voided the lease. He agreed to refund my payment and release me from the contract. I asked him to put it in writing and he did, although he claimed to not have a check on hand and asked me to come back for the money tomorrow. If he changes his mind and decides not to return my deposit or release me from the lease do I have any options? Does his written guarantee to return my money and void the lease carry any actual weight or am I kinda screwed on this? If he does return my money do I need to have him write anything on the lease paper itself to indicate it's voided?

I've never had (or wanted) to break a lease before so I'm not sure how to proceed. I know "call a lawyer" is probably near the top of the list but I am poor and not looking to get any money from this guy, I just don't want to live with roaches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Costello Jello
Oct 24, 2003

It had to start somewhere

thizzin forever posted:

I've never had (or wanted) to break a lease before so I'm not sure how to proceed. I know "call a lawyer" is probably near the top of the list but I am poor and not looking to get any money from this guy, I just don't want to live with roaches.

Wouldn't it be better if you didn't stress out about all this until tomorrow? It sounds like he's going to to let you out of the contract and give you your deposit back. There's no need to spend all night planning contingencies because you're probably just wasting your time, and if not, you can start tomorrow.

thizzin forever
Apr 10, 2007

Costello Jello posted:

Wouldn't it be better if you didn't stress out about all this until tomorrow? It sounds like he's going to to let you out of the contract and give you your deposit back. There's no need to spend all night planning contingencies because you're probably just wasting your time, and if not, you can start tomorrow.

It would definitely be better if I wasn't stressing myself out and could just go to bed but I am stressed all the same. It didn't help searching for information online about breaking a lease as most of the results indicated that he could make this really time consuming and/or expensive for me. I'm sure the standards vary by state but I live in Missouri which I don't trust to have the most progressive tenant laws.

MasterBuilder
Sep 30, 2008
Oven Wrangler
What's the general opinion on ikea mattresses. I went by a store yesterday and tried them out and found all of them to be extremely soft except the hamestad.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

thizzin forever posted:

Roaches everywhere.

If you like reptiles, get an iguana. I worked with someone who occasionally would tell me about the apartment he lived in and his roommate's iguana got out one day and went to town on them.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

thizzin forever posted:

It would definitely be better if I wasn't stressing myself out and could just go to bed but I am stressed all the same. It didn't help searching for information online about breaking a lease as most of the results indicated that he could make this really time consuming and/or expensive for me. I'm sure the standards vary by state but I live in Missouri which I don't trust to have the most progressive tenant laws.

If you got him to put it in writing that he would refund your deposit and break the lease, then I would be amazed if he tried to back out of it. Keep in mind that even verbal contracts can be binding, the issue with them is that it becomes very difficult to prove what was said. If you have in writing 'I will give back this money and void this lease', congratulations, you're pretty much set.

If he tries to dick around with you, you can take him to court for it. I am going to guess that someone who is running a dozen units would rather just get rid of you and move on with their business than sink the time into fighting something they are very likely to lose. My experience is that slumlords will try to dick with you but will back down short of a fight; it's single-unit owners who are crazy and will fight a losing battle tooth and nail over $50.

Fixed Gear Guy
Oct 21, 2010

In a ketchup factory. A sexy ketchup factory.

MasterBuilder posted:

What's the general opinion on ikea mattresses. I went by a store yesterday and tried them out and found all of them to be extremely soft except the hamestad.

I literally just bought that yesterday in a full. All I can say is that I had a pretty good sleep. This isn't our forever mattress, just something to use for the next year until we have some money. I hate sending stuff to the dump but we needed one that was: immediate, new, and cheap.

thizzin forever
Apr 10, 2007

OK so I went back out today and as I suspected he wanted to change what we agreed to yesterday. His initial offer was to change the lease to month-to-month at a lower rate and to have the apartment treated for roaches. I told him I just wanted the check and he then insisted that instead of a check he would give me $525 cash tomorrow in exchange for the paper he signed terminating my lease. I told him I wasn't comfortable with a cash deal or returning the paper and just wanted the check as we agreed. He got angry and refused to write the check until I again threatened to get lawyers and the Housing Department involved, at which point he did give me a check but had me sign a statement guaranteeing not to stop payment on my check for the deposit, which I wasn't going to do anyway.

So as it stands now the agreement is that when his check clears next week I will return the paper he signed voiding the lease and then he will tear up the lease I signed in front of me. Am I right in assuming that once the original lease is destroyed this fiasco will be over with? I've also made copies of the statement he signed voiding my lease just in case but I just want to be done with this.

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

It reads all over his face,
like he's an Italian.

thizzin forever posted:

Am I right in assuming that once the original lease is destroyed this fiasco will be over with?
No, I don't think so. You may want to get someone who knows what they're doing involved because this is incredibly sketchy. :psyduck:

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

You should keep copies of the thing he signed voiding the lease. In fact, you should just keep copies of everything relating to this apartment, including the check that he gave you, anything that you have given him, the original lease, and any correspondance about the issues you had with the apartment. Just keep it all.

Destroying the original lease document doesn't really mean anything. A written contract isn't like a magical binding that dissipates when destroyed (although that would be cool). It's just evidence of the agreement that was reached between you and proof that you both actually acknowledged those terms. So even if he bakes the lease into a cake and eats it while you watch, for all practical purposes a copy he kept at home is just as good.

What is important is that he later agreed to void the lease, and signed something saying that. That modifies the original lease contract and basically makes it meaningless (which is why he was asking for it back - he wanted you back into the apartment, but didn't want you carrying a get-out-free card in your wallet).

Technically, this guy could still go over the deep end and decide to sue you; that is why you want to keep a copy of the written statements so that you can turn up and say 'Look your honor, he signed this thing voiding my lease and returned my desposit, so clearly this is bullshit'. At which point the matter would be thrown out (hopefully). So you want to keep all this documentation to protect yourself in case he is crazy enough to try that.

There is also a legal thread on the forums that you might want to check in with, if you are concerned about handling that side of it.

thizzin forever
Apr 10, 2007

I don't have anything in writing about the roaches although I do have a lot of photos I took of them. He didn't mention roaches on the walkthrough and the lease says nothing about current pest issues or treatments. I have a copy of the check he gave me via my bank and on the memo line it lists reimbursement for the apartment as the cause.

I was under the impression that altering the signature on the contract would void it but if not then I guess I'm stuck waiting to see how much he wants to drag this out.

MasterBuilder
Sep 30, 2008
Oven Wrangler

Fixed Gear Guy posted:

I literally just bought that yesterday in a full. All I can say is that I had a pretty good sleep. This isn't our forever mattress, just something to use for the next year until we have some money. I hate sending stuff to the dump but we needed one that was: immediate, new, and cheap.

Cool thanks. Did you also get a foundation or are you using slates and a frame.

Fixed Gear Guy
Oct 21, 2010

In a ketchup factory. A sexy ketchup factory.

MasterBuilder posted:

Cool thanks. Did you also get a foundation or are you using slates and a frame.
I picked up a West Elm platform bed with slats on Craigslist. I can't recommend Ikea platform beds because I have had bad experiences with them. Their slats lay atop metal rails and, if the bed isn't built just right, the bed sides are prone to bowing and the slats falling out. With my bed the slats are an integral part of the platform and are locked into two wooden channels. Not to mention the material and laminate on the West Elm is much nicer.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.
I finally found a place! It's on the higher end of my price range, but still affordable, and it's a 1 bedroom instead of a bachelor suite, which is for the better. Because I'm unemployed they want 3 months rent up front (I have at least 6 months rent/utilities/food saved up so that's no problem), but they also want tenant's insurance (which I also have budgeted for). I've been poking around, but I'm not exactly sure what my options are in Canada. Does anyone have any reccomendations or places to compare what's available?

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

Captain Novolin posted:

I finally found a place! It's on the higher end of my price range, but still affordable, and it's a 1 bedroom instead of a bachelor suite, which is for the better. Because I'm unemployed they want 3 months rent up front (I have at least 6 months rent/utilities/food saved up so that's no problem), but they also want tenant's insurance (which I also have budgeted for). I've been poking around, but I'm not exactly sure what my options are in Canada. Does anyone have any reccomendations or places to compare what's available?

Not sure if it is different in Canada from the US, but the default recommendation is to get it from the same place as your car insurance, since it's cheap, and companies will often give a multi-policy discount that (in some cases) pays for the added insurance.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.

Grumpwagon posted:

Not sure if it is different in Canada from the US, but the default recommendation is to get it from the same place as your car insurance, since it's cheap, and companies will often give a multi-policy discount that (in some cases) pays for the added insurance.

I don't own a car or anything, so I don't know where I'd look in Alberta.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.

Grumpwagon posted:

This is what I did. I just tacked on a renter's policy to my car insurance and got a discount on both. I would imagine it's similar in Canada, but wouldn't know for sure.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Captain Novolin posted:

Does anyone have any reccomendations or places to compare what's available?

Look up 3 or 4 different insurance companies and call and get quotes.
I pay $20 a month for renters insurance, it should be cheap.

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.

Thumposaurus posted:

Look up 3 or 4 different insurance companies and call and get quotes.
I pay $20 a month for renters insurance, it should be cheap.

I pay like $130 a year? I think? Could be wrong. Of course, I don't really own anything expensive. Renter's insurance is almost entirely based on your stuff so when you get quotes be sure to mention that you don't own any:

-silver or gold (jewelry, silverware, coins or whatever)
-firearms
-antiques, heirlooms
(unless you do, obviously)

My quote was based on stuff like:

-furniture
-electronics (tv, computer)
-estimated value of clothes

Feast of Burden
Oct 9, 2008

WARNING: may cause indigestion and severe heartburn
Hey guys, I don't think I've read this in here before, but my lease is about to expire and I want to know if there is a possibility of renegotiating my lease to a lower monthly cost before renewing or if anyone has any experience with that. It seems to me like it's impossible given how dumb it sounds to me initially, but what do I know. For context, I've been paying my rent on time for the past 2 going on 3 years and it's gone up $50 per year. Not that it's a lot, but I put off moving to a cheaper, more efficient place and my wage isn't exactly getting any sweeter.

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

2006... YEAR OF THE BURNITZ, BITCHES

MasterBuilder posted:

They are incredibly cheap and wear out quickly. But they are cheap. So they are OK for the short term.

TunaSpleen
Jan 27, 2007

How do I say, "You're the grossest thing ever" without offending you?
Grimey Drawer
drat, $20 a month for renters' insurance? I pay $115 a year through State Farm in Chicago. My mother pays the same amount on her apartment in St. Louis, also State Farm. I repeated exactly what she told me to say to the insurance people:

"I'm young, I'm broke, and everything I own is secondhand."

Which isn't exactly the case, as everyone owns at least one semidecent electronic device nowadays. But they also didn't ask if I had any nice clothes, weapons, heirlooms or collections. To be fair I don't unless you count my sweet collection of circa-1999 Pokemon cards, but thieves would practically have to pay people to take those off their hands.

john mayer
Jan 18, 2011

TunaSpleen posted:

drat, $20 a month for renters' insurance? I pay $115 a year through State Farm in Chicago. My mother pays the same amount on her apartment in St. Louis, also State Farm. I repeated exactly what she told me to say to the insurance people:

"I'm young, I'm broke, and everything I own is secondhand."

Which isn't exactly the case, as everyone owns at least one semidecent electronic device nowadays. But they also didn't ask if I had any nice clothes, weapons, heirlooms or collections. To be fair I don't unless you count my sweet collection of circa-1999 Pokemon cards, but thieves would practically have to pay people to take those off their hands.

I had the same reaction. For homeowners I recommend going through a broker to have them compare. Most banks and credit unions will have someone who can do that. My guy is pretty knowledgable and does a good job finding the right coverage for the right price, not always just the cheapest. We ended up with a policy for 80 a year.

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.

john mayer posted:

I had the same reaction. For homeowners I recommend going through a broker to have them compare. Most banks and credit unions will have someone who can do that. My guy is pretty knowledgable and does a good job finding the right coverage for the right price, not always just the cheapest. We ended up with a policy for 80 a year.

^Yeah, getting to talk to an actual person about your actual real life situation is best. I asked my co-workers who they used and went to him - an insurance agent is someone who knows far more about this sort of thing than the internet does and should be able to steer you right.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Feast of Burden posted:

Hey guys, I don't think I've read this in here before, but my lease is about to expire and I want to know if there is a possibility of renegotiating my lease to a lower monthly cost before renewing or if anyone has any experience with that. It seems to me like it's impossible given how dumb it sounds to me initially, but what do I know. For context, I've been paying my rent on time for the past 2 going on 3 years and it's gone up $50 per year. Not that it's a lot, but I put off moving to a cheaper, more efficient place and my wage isn't exactly getting any sweeter.

You can always attempt to negotiate, sure. A lease is just a contract, so you can haggle over whatever you like. It's just that usually the landlord is in the position of power so tenants don't get a lot of wiggle room. The question is, why should your landlord agree not to raise the rent? How does your rate compare to the market? If you are already paying or above the typical rent for your area, he probably won't do any better with a new tenant, and will lose out on whatever rental time is needed to re-lease. On the other hand, if you are running below market he won't care if you walk because he can re-rent to someone at a higher rate anyway.

Now you have been living there for a little while, so maybe you are a good tenant and he will be willing to cut you a break because of that. Maybe he's an old dude who isn't really that interested in making bank as long as his costs are covered. All those things make a difference.

Feast of Burden
Oct 9, 2008

WARNING: may cause indigestion and severe heartburn

Ashcans posted:

You can always attempt to negotiate, sure. A lease is just a contract, so you can haggle over whatever you like. It's just that usually the landlord is in the position of power so tenants don't get a lot of wiggle room. The question is, why should your landlord agree not to raise the rent? How does your rate compare to the market? If you are already paying or above the typical rent for your area, he probably won't do any better with a new tenant, and will lose out on whatever rental time is needed to re-lease. On the other hand, if you are running below market he won't care if you walk because he can re-rent to someone at a higher rate anyway.

Now you have been living there for a little while, so maybe you are a good tenant and he will be willing to cut you a break because of that. Maybe he's an old dude who isn't really that interested in making bank as long as his costs are covered. All those things make a difference.

I did just that, and my rent was renegotiated $120 less. I had a feeling it was too high... thanks for the advice :D

Feast of Burden fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Sep 21, 2012

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Feast of Burden posted:

I did just that, and my rent was renegotiated $120 less. I had a feeling it was too high... thanks for the advice :D

I forgot to mention that my advice comes with a 25% commission! But really, that's pretty awesome. We aren't really a haggling society any more, so a lot of people don't really think of contracts as being really negotiable.

Pieces
Jan 25, 2011
Does anyone have any advice or experience with moving their items into a storage locker while looking for a place? I need to be out of my current place at the end of the month, and due to a series of unfortunate circumstances that has put me into a time crunch in a city where the rental market is red hot, it looks like I'll be staying with a friend for the first few weeks of October while I look for a new place.

I don't have a whole lot for a storage locker (couch, bed, TV, a few boxes with some clothing & books, snowboard), but it'll be a hassle to arrange for friends to help me move multiple times (once to the locker, and then to wherever I find to rent).

Also, I've been living in a downtown high rise condo for the past year+, and I'm looking to save a bit on rent so I've mostly been looking at basement suites in residential areas - it'll be somewhere in the 35-40% cheaper range so its pretty significant. Most of the places I see have separate entrances, but most places have shared laundry and some have shared entrances. I'll have to adjust to outdoor parking versus indoor parking but aside from that are there any factors that I should be taking into consideration for this change?

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.

Pieces posted:

Does anyone have any advice or experience with moving their items into a storage locker while looking for a place? I need to be out of my current place at the end of the month, and due to a series of unfortunate circumstances that has put me into a time crunch in a city where the rental market is red hot, it looks like I'll be staying with a friend for the first few weeks of October while I look for a new place.

I don't have a whole lot for a storage locker (couch, bed, TV, a few boxes with some clothing & books, snowboard), but it'll be a hassle to arrange for friends to help me move multiple times (once to the locker, and then to wherever I find to rent).

Also, I've been living in a downtown high rise condo for the past year+, and I'm looking to save a bit on rent so I've mostly been looking at basement suites in residential areas - it'll be somewhere in the 35-40% cheaper range so its pretty significant. Most of the places I see have separate entrances, but most places have shared laundry and some have shared entrances. I'll have to adjust to outdoor parking versus indoor parking but aside from that are there any factors that I should be taking into consideration for this change?

Storage lockers are pretty simple - call around and check rates, and ask if any have a truck you can use.

As for shared entrances/laundry, simple courtesy goes a long way. Definitely don't make a huge mess anywhere, or make any more noise than you need to in the entrance/laundry room.

As for shared laundry, the only thing you absolutely need to remember is don't leave your laundry for more than an hour or two. You don't have to stay with it, but you need to get it out when it's done and free up the machines for others. I set a timer on my phone and go run errands or whatever.

Otherwise, try not to do it super late at night (say, past 10 pm) to reduce noise. That's about it,
really.

majestic12
Sep 2, 2003

Pete likes coffee
I just today had my furniture picked up with the container moving part of Atlas Van Lines and they included a month of container storage as part of it, so if you're moving anyway it might be worth seeing if other companies also do that.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
I'm using a bare 7'x7' walk-in closet as a workspace, and I want to paint it. Currently it's a standard cream-walls-white-ceiling thing like the rest of the apartment. I would like it to be colorful and energizing without being distracting. I also like a lot of light, so it can't be too dark.

It occurs to me that "paint the walls not-white" and "not too dark" may be completely impossible without studio lighting, here. Anyone have any advice? I've only ever painted walls white and maybe with a light blue-grey ceiling.

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.

Factory Factory posted:

I'm using a bare 7'x7' walk-in closet as a workspace, and I want to paint it. Currently it's a standard cream-walls-white-ceiling thing like the rest of the apartment. I would like it to be colorful and energizing without being distracting. I also like a lot of light, so it can't be too dark.

It occurs to me that "paint the walls not-white" and "not too dark" may be completely impossible without studio lighting, here. Anyone have any advice? I've only ever painted walls white and maybe with a light blue-grey ceiling.

I think the main thing you want to decide is what color energizes you. Once you decide on a color (a paint chip wheel is good for this), choose two shades lighter than that color. The reason being, a small square of color on a paint chip is going to look more washed out/lighter than a whole wall of that color, and multiple walls will amplify color as light bounces around.

I recently helped my boyfriend paint his house and I found that a pale, muted mint color actually is very nice for a bright, modern looking room. The color was chosen by the method above, and in the bucket basically looked white, but once all four walls were painted it was a very subtle but pleasant greeny-blue that made the light seem brighter.

Here is a paint chip wheel with the basic idea outlined. The circled color is the color I liked, so for a subtle version I chose two shades lighter. If I wanted the wall color to look exactly like the paint chip color, I would only go up one shade to account for the intensifying effects of having it on four walls.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Ive never had an apartment and my only experience living on my own was college dorm life. I plan to move in with my girlfriend after she graduates in december, which if she immediately finds a job means that Id be looking to move in sometime in January/February. I started to research places to live and was immediately overwhelmed. My friend told me to think in terms of dollars per square feet, which has helped me rank each apartments value. I still have a couple questions:

1. I'm actually enjoying apartment shopping (mostly because padmapper is fun), but is it to early to do research for available apartments? How likely are the places Im looking at now even gonna be available in a few months?

2. I plan to live in the MA South Shore, is there any places I should avoid or conversely places that are amazing?

3. We're a bit worried that if she did get a job immediately, it would be for 4~ish months and thats it (she'll very likely be working in schools), so we're somewhat interested in a shorter lease in case we have to move. I know most leases last a year, but is a short lease a possibility? And if I do find a short term lease, am I really just signing up for an overpriced roach-den?

Bread Set Jettison fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Sep 28, 2012

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Jet Set Jettison posted:

My friend told me to think in terms of dollars per square feet, which has helped me rank each apartments value.

This isn't a bad idea, but keep in mind that many people are either deceptive or incompetent when it comes to providing a square-foot measurement of a property. Like technically, you shouldn't include stuff like closet space or areas where the roof is below a certain height, but I have seen places where they basically measured the width and length of the building and multiplied them. Plus, location is often a bigger issue than square footage.

quote:

How likely are the places Im looking at now even gonna be available in a few months?

It's unlikely that anything on the market now is going to remain available for Jan/Feb unless it is a total shithole, hugely overpriced, or both. A good, well-priced apartment doesn't spend four months on the market. Having said that, it's not a waste of time to look at stuff now, because it helps you build up an understanding of what sort of stuff is available and what typical pricing is for your market. Generally you will see listings for your date come up 30-60 days in advance, because that is when existing tenants will notify thier landlord if they are not staying. So you are looking at November or December.

quote:

I know most leases last a year, but is a short lease a possibility? And if I do find a short term lease, am I really just signing up for an overpriced roach-den?
A lease is just an agreement between you and a landlord. You can always say 'Hey, this place is nice, would you consider a shorter lease term?' They may so no, but whatever you can ask. Most people will not do some weird lease length, though, like 4 months. It tends to go month-to-month, six-month, 1-yr.

Now, specifically because you are looking at renting near Boston - September is the big lease date for the city because of all the students. If you are renting a place in February, I would say that you have a pretty good chance of getting the landlord to do a lease until August - it would be a six month lease, and would get the property onto the typical September cycle, which many landlords would like.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Ashcans posted:

This isn't a bad idea, but keep in mind that many people are either deceptive or incompetent when it comes to providing a square-foot measurement of a property. Like technically, you shouldn't include stuff like closet space or areas where the roof is below a certain height, but I have seen places where they basically measured the width and length of the building and multiplied them. Plus, location is often a bigger issue than square footage.

The ANSI standard is done by taking outside measurements of the dwelling. It includes closets. You're not supposed to include below grade space, garages, or rooms where the ceiling is below 7 feet.

So if you don't have any of that stuff, width and length of the building is actually how you're supposed to measure.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

The ANSI standard is done by taking outside measurements of the dwelling. It includes closets. You're not supposed to include below grade space, garages, or rooms where the ceiling is below 7 feet.

So if you don't have any of that stuff, width and length of the building is actually how you're supposed to measure.

Wow, I didn't realize that. That's stupid as hell, especially if the interior has a terrible build where you're just missing big chunks of space. What about stuff like stairwells? In a typical triple-decker (most of Boston) you have two staircases front and back that take up a lot of space.

Even so, square footage does equate living space, so don't use it as a sole measure!

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

I dont plan to rent near boston exactly, but I have looked at other towns with colleges (Bridgewater being a big possibility). I think the closests Id go to boston is Quincy. My ideal location is anywhere near Rt24, because my work is literally right off an exit.

I know to not use Sqft as the sole measure of value. Plenty of other stuff influences whether or not I approve of an apartment like utilities, location and amenities and so on. I was using it as a general measure of size because 90% of all apartment pictures are very obviously shot with a fish eye lense. Touring the apartments will likely be a deciding factor.

Ive been looking at a lot of apartment complexes, which seem really nice and have stuff like fitness centers which we'll definitely use. I found a couple of ones that are really appealing. Im only slightly worried that having neighbors separated by a wall will be annoying, but its not a huge deal because I was fine in rowdy college dorms.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Ashcans posted:

Wow, I didn't realize that. That's stupid as hell, especially if the interior has a terrible build where you're just missing big chunks of space. What about stuff like stairwells? In a typical triple-decker (most of Boston) you have two staircases front and back that take up a lot of space.

Even so, square footage does equate living space, so don't use it as a sole measure!

Stair cases would still count under most measurements. Square footage isn't intended as an indicator of living space, but of finished space. Small distinction, but important.

Ultimately, it's not terribly useful other than as a rough guideline. A poorly designed layout with more space can still feel more cramped and have less usable space than a smaller, smarter layout. Take a tape measure with you and measure the size of living rooms and bedrooms (you may also wish to measure linear feet of counter space in the kitchen). Then use graph paper or any of the numerous web utilities to try laying out your furniture.

spooky wizard
May 8, 2007

e: solved

spooky wizard fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Oct 1, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

My mom's whole house is a hobbit hole with 6'9" ceilings. I guess it, technically, has zero square footage? That's funny. Actual square footage is something like 2600. It's a big house, two stories. It's just made for really short people!