Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Khelmar
Oct 12, 2003

Things fix me.
Anyone know a way to make the photos screensaver in Mountain Lion display photos from subdirectories? Or, if not, a decent alternative?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro

Portland human being posted:

Is there anything I can do about a stolen macbook pro (circa 2011) to track it? I dont have icloud or any tracking apps, just the serial numbers and stuff
Tell the police is about it.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Is there a way to get Reminders into Dashboard? It seems like Dashboard would be perfect for things like this.

spaced ninja
Apr 10, 2009

Toilet Rascal

Boris Galerkin posted:

Is there a way to get Reminders into Dashboard? It seems like Dashboard would be perfect for things like this.

I think something like this might work for you.

http://islayer.com/apps/organized/

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

more like a Barking Dog, woof!

wolffenstein posted:

Tell the police is about it.

That was the first thing I did dude.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

syndex posted:

I think something like this might work for you.

http://islayer.com/apps/organized/

But does it sync with iCloud? I don't want to make and manage two separate reminders/notes environments.

e:

quote:

To do’s are synced with OS X’s built-in database, so Organized will always reflect what’s shown in Mail and other apps.

Dunno what it means by "OS X's built–in database" but it sounds promising so I'll give it a try later.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Is there any way to speed up the animation when switching between screens with Mission Control?

It was super fast in Leopard and Snow Leopard but it's much slower in Mountain Lion. I skipped Lion so I can't really compare that.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
It would be cool if Apple put in a phone home feature into their new MBs that's part of the EFI so you can't bypass it by wiping/swapping/pulling the drive. They already have all the framework for it to support over network OS installs right?

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl
If you consider a mess of BootServer that depends on multiple technologies operating like clockwork to be "all the framework", then yeah, as much as any other vendor. You can do a lot with EFI scripts, but it'd be easier to wedge a stripped OSX kernel (ala iOS) onto cheap flash storage integrated into the logic board than do it straight from EFI, especially if you think you'd need to deal with anything like wifi.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

evol262 posted:

If you consider a mess of BootServer that depends on multiple technologies operating like clockwork to be "all the framework", then yeah, as much as any other vendor. You can do a lot with EFI scripts, but it'd be easier to wedge a stripped OSX kernel (ala iOS) onto cheap flash storage integrated into the logic board than do it straight from EFI, especially if you think you'd need to deal with anything like wifi.

To track a laptop all you would need is maybe a list of wifi hotspots and the tracking can be done server side. This would of course depend on the OS actually having a passcode to a hotspot as well.

Don't the new MBs support OS install over the network without booting from a recovery partition or removable disk? Wouldn't that mean that Wifi support is already integrated into EFI?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Portland human being posted:

That was the first thing I did dude.
If iCloud was never set up (Back To My Mac or Find My Mac) and you have no other remote applications installed, it's probably not easily recoverable, if at all. If it had any distinguishing marks, keep an eye on Craigslist and alert the police if you see a listing that you believe is yours.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Maybe this isn't easily answerable, but if iCloud was set up, what sort of help could Apple provide you anyway? If the machine is wiped an hour after it's stolen would Apple still be able to recover it? Like if they saw the machine's UUID/Serial Number (or whatever) sign into iCloud with a new account would they be able to send you an email like "hey someone just signed on to this machine which has been reported stolen"

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
They might flag the serial number in their database as stolen and show an alert to the Apple employees if the thief or thieves take it to an Apple store.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

wolffenstein posted:

They might flag the serial number in their database as stolen and show an alert to the Apple employees if the thief or thieves take it to an Apple store.

Why would a thief take a stolen MB to an Apple store? Maybe the unlucky buyer of a stolen laptop I guess.

Seems like a lot of work for Apple to keep track of these cases and also make sure they're not pranks. How can you verify that a caller is legitimate about a stolen device?

I prefer self vigilantism in the case of investigating the where abouts of your stolen device. No one else is going to care as much as you.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro

Shaocaholica posted:

Why would a thief take a stolen MB to an Apple store? Maybe the unlucky buyer of a stolen laptop I guess.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Aum6wyIoyY

Thieves can be really loving dumb.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Shaocaholica posted:

To track a laptop all you would need is maybe a list of wifi hotspots and the tracking can be done server side. This would of course depend on the OS actually having a passcode to a hotspot as well.

Don't the new MBs support OS install over the network without booting from a recovery partition or removable disk? Wouldn't that mean that Wifi support is already integrated into EFI?

Remote Install supports this, yes, but there's very little documentation on what it's doing behind the scenes. It supports wifi, but it's unknown how much of Core* is included.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

evol262 posted:

Remote Install supports this, yes, but there's very little documentation on what it's doing behind the scenes. It supports wifi, but it's unknown how much of Core* is included.

I'm not proposing a community solution but rather something Apple rolls to prevent MB theft.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream
~~~Anecdotal Evidence Incoming~~~

So I've been having a lot of trouble with Messages in ML recently. I've posted about it in this thread before so I won't go into the details of it, but things weren't syncing right.

Before, I was using a Belkin router that's at least 4 years old. This weekend I replaced it with an Apple Airport Extreme router. Immediately all of my Messages problems were gone, as well as any other connectivity issues I had with my Macbook Air 2012.

I'm not saying anyone who has issues with ML or Message has a broken router, but it definitely made a difference for me.

Hotwax Residue
Mar 26, 2010

ConfusedUs posted:

Is there any way to speed up the animation when switching between screens with Mission Control?

It was super fast in Leopard and Snow Leopard but it's much slower in Mountain Lion. I skipped Lion so I can't really compare that.

This is for Lion but I assume it will work with ML

http://osxdaily.com/2012/02/14/speed-up-misson-control-animations-mac-os-x/

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Shaocaholica posted:

I'm not proposing a community solution but rather something Apple rolls to prevent MB theft.

Didn't they just start flagging stolen iPhones? Or is that AT&T's doing?

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

Chrome has recently become ridiculously slow for me - not in terms of speed, but in terms of responsiveness. For example, when I first open it, it will basically take about a solid minute to load the page. I'll get a blank tab with a spinning status in the tab's favicon spot, but it doesn't do anything. It doesn't seem to be any extensions, as I really only have AdBlock, Chrome to Phone, and SABNZBD. This seems to happen with most webpages, and the system hangs a little bit when I load each page.

Safari loads perfectly fine and quick.

I'm on an rMBP with Mountain Lion, if that makes any difference.

Any ideas what could have caused it?

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
One major change I've done for speeding Chrome up is to disable plugins and set them so they only load on a click. It makes Youtube-heavy pages load really quickly and I can pick and choose what I watch. It's under Settings -> 'Show advanced settings' -> Content settings -> Plugins.

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

Montalvo posted:

One major change I've done for speeding Chrome up is to disable plugins and set them so they only load on a click. It makes Youtube-heavy pages load really quickly and I can pick and choose what I watch. It's under Settings -> 'Show advanced settings' -> Content settings -> Plugins.

I think I figured out the issue, but I am trying this anyway!

I think it was the Live wallpaper app. I had it doing a desktop background animation, and I think that might have been taking more RAM than Chrome wanted, because I turned off the animation, and everything works fine.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Having a bit of a problem with the App Store. I've got a early 2011 MBP, upgraded with a 256GB Crucial M4 SSD and 8GB of RAM, running OSX 10.8, and I'm having this little problem with it:

When I open App Store (because it says there's an update available), it shows me this:

You can see that iTunes is open in the background. I've tried it without iTunes open, with iTunes open, and opening iTunes while trying it, all to no effect.

Clicking on any of the "buttons" at the top, such as Updates, pops up an error that says App Store is currently unavailable.

Is it actually unavailable (I'm doubting this, because this has been several days now), or am I doing something wrong? I've done this on multiple internet connections, so I can at least rule that out, I think.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

wolffenstein posted:

Apple doesn't do anything like this, sadly :(

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Something a little bit annoying is when I'm viewing emails in Mail in conversation mode, when I click on the conversation it opens up to the last email received rather than the last email in the conversation. So in this particular one I'm viewing, I've sent a reply and I'm waiting for a response. Mail keeps opening it to the email I replied to, but I would like it to open up to the most recent one, i.e., the email I sent, because it just makes more sense. Is there a way to change this?

Also, is there a way to disable the cheesy "come up from the bottom" animation when I'm using Mail in fullscreen and want to write a new email? Or disable the equally cheesy "pop out" animation when I hit reply?

One last thing, when I'm composing a new email (in fullscreen mode) or even reply to one, is there a way to pop the new/reply window out of fullscreen mode? Sometimes I just have to do a lot of referencing with Safari or a pdf or something so I'd rather just have a floating compose window so I can see my reference and email at the same time. I haven't figured out a way to do this other than exiting fullscreen mode (or if I click on an email link then a new floating window will open outside of the fullscreen).

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
I'm having issues with my iMac lately (running 10.8.1, was a fresh install), the sound occasionally crackles and I see this in the log:

kernel[0]: IOAudioStream[0xffffff8030ff3c00]::clipIfNecessary() - Error: attempting to clip to a position more than one buffer ahead of last clip position (26e,2a84)->(270,1a54).

Anybody run into this before?

saint gerald
Apr 17, 2003
Has Apple given any indication when the next Mountain Lion update will be out? I've been kinda disappointed in the battery life of my rMBP and gather it should pick up a bit with the next version.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

No indication. We just got another 10.8.2 seed for what it's worth. I wouldn't hold my breath for an update this month, but I wouldn't be surprised by one either.

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

iOS 6 having Facebook integration and 10.8.2 adding that it makes sense they'd like to get it out as soon as possible, maybe next week?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Sprat Sandwich posted:

iOS 6 having Facebook integration and 10.8.2 adding that it makes sense they'd like to get it out as soon as possible, maybe next week?
The latest developer seed is still a bit broken. :(

A PC Game
May 7, 2007
Has anyone been using airplay mirroring with Apple TV? I have a 2012 Air and the functionality is spotty at best. The Air is connected to wifi and the atv is wired. Sometimes it will work just fine and other times it is a stuttery mess, with no noticeable difference in network conditions. And it frequently fails to show the airplay icon in the menu bar when both devices are on without reconnecting to the wireless or turning the atv on and off. Any tips to improve this or is down to buying an apple approved router?

Hotwax Residue
Mar 26, 2010

A PC Game posted:

Has anyone been using airplay mirroring with Apple TV? I have a 2012 Air and the functionality is spotty at best. The Air is connected to wifi and the atv is wired. Sometimes it will work just fine and other times it is a stuttery mess, with no noticeable difference in network conditions. And it frequently fails to show the airplay icon in the menu bar when both devices are on without reconnecting to the wireless or turning the atv on and off. Any tips to improve this or is down to buying an apple approved router?

I don't think it is your router. I'm using a very old netgear wireless g router with a 2011 MBP and it works fine most of the time.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

A PC Game posted:

Has anyone been using airplay mirroring with Apple TV?
I had no issues when mirroring my iPad or my MacBook Air, though I don't use it all the frequently. All of the devices are wireless and using an AirPort Extreme Base Station.

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

The latest developer seed is still a bit broken. :(

A bit broken as in "We'll crunch a GM in a few days" or "beachball up yo rear end"?

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Question regarding Outlook 2011:

one of our clients has a POP email address that comes in directly to his outlook. Previously, on his windows machine we had this set up to save to his .OST file on his computer so that it was backed up on the exchange (roundabout way, I know)

he has since migrated to Mac and due to issues he was having with outlook (surprise surprise) we blew away his identity and are reconfiguring from the ground up (this was after trying a clean reinstall + importing the original identity, repairing the user data folder, etc)

is there a way to save the incoming POP email to the OSX equivalent of the .OST? this was done previously but no one remembers how.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Laserface posted:

is there a way to save the incoming POP email to the OSX equivalent of the .OST? this was done previously but no one remembers how.

Can you just save it to a personal folder and back that up (or save it to the network)?

http://masteryourworkday.com/excerpt-from-michaels-new-outlook-book-how-to-store-local-mail-in-outlook-mac-2011

modig
Aug 20, 2002
I have 2 outstanding issues with OSX, that have been happening on my 2010 MBA running ML, the issues have been going on since Lion at least.

1. On wake up from screen being closed for more than 1 hour it goes to password screen due to FileVault. Sometimes (~1/20) I can type in my password immediately. More often (~19/20) I have to wait about 5 seconds for it to respond at all.

2. Most of the time (~8/10) after I type in my password, iCal has an error about having the wrong url for my google calenar. I just close the error and it always syncs just fine. edit: just happened on a 2 minute close, exact text:
code:
The URL https://www.google.com/calendar/dav/mygmail@gmail.com/user/encountered HTTP error 302. Make sure the URL is correct.
I've googled both of them quite a bit, but haven't come up with anything useful.

modig fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Sep 19, 2012

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

Who else see da leprechaun say yaaaa!
My stupid guesses:

1. Probably has more to do with what was running before you put the computer to sleep than anything else. Or maybe it's FileVault. Or maybe 5 seconds isn't that long to wait and you shouldn't worry about it.

2. Have you tried removing and re-entering the google calendar?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

modig
Aug 20, 2002

decypher posted:

2. Have you tried removing and re-entering the google calendar?

Yeah I did that, seemed like it might have helped for a few days.