Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ForeverBWFC
Oct 19, 2011

Oh, the lads! You should've seen 'em running!
Ask 'em why and they reply the Bolton Boys are coming! All the lads and lasses, smiles upon their faces,

WALKING DOWN THE MANNY ROAD, TO SEE THE BURNDEN ACES!

Using pick #29, and supposing we survive the final round of the gauntlet, the Easy W's submit the following list of draft preferences:
1951 Yogi Berra (FHQ)
1975 Joe Morgan (NEW)
2004 Jeff Kent (FHQ)
1978 Mike Schmidt (SJT)
2001 Alex Rodriguez (SJT)
1982 Robin Yount (DRC)
1999 Robb Nen (HIL)
1997 Robb Nen (NEW)
1982 Rollie Fingers (FHQ)
1968 John Hiller (MCB)
1972 Mike Marshall (FHQ)
1989 Jeff Montgomery (NEW)

If by some chance all of these are gone, then we would like the best available pitcher instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.
Edit: This post has been superseeded by events.

Cthulhu Dreams fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Sep 13, 2012

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Pitching is the art of instilling fear.
McQueen League Divisional Series

The Cultists are owned by a swaggering Australian, who has come to the SuperLeague unburdened by sentimentality or any attachment to a particular team. No, CthulhuDreams has unreservedly embraced the cold, unyielding domain of baseball statistics, and in just a few short weeks he has proven himself to be both willing and able to convince otherwise sane owners into agreeing to terrible trades. Tom Henke, Walter Johnson, and Christy Mathewson were all added for pittances, and the Cultist's rotation, when healthy, is one of the most formidable in the Expansion Cup. It's his lineup that has the other owners worried, though, because CthulhuDreams has ascribed to a simple, but unnerving, strategy: simply get the best player ever at that position, and put him on the field. With Foxx, Banks, Musial, Hornsby, Sandberg, and Speaker, he's come pretty drat close. But pride comes before the fall, and countless owners before him have seen their grand designs collapse in a run of terrible luck. Will the Cultists pay the price for their hubris? Or will their terrifying power translate into an unstoppable juggernaut in the Super-League?

Sunken R'lyeh Grounds
R'lyeh, Outside of Time and Space

The Sunken R'lyeh Grounds will host games 1, 2, 6, and 7 of this series.

The Goose Eggs have never been a favorite in anything they've tried. First, back when they were based out of Petaluma, they were summarily relegated after a season of futility. Then, their owner Armitage nearly went bankrupt last season and had to suspend team operations. This year, Armitage swears, is the Goose Egg's year. The numbers in the win column, however, suggest otherwise, as the Goose Eggs are the only team to reach the playoffs without having won at least 100 games. A weak Johnny Hopp division, and some incredible swings of luck granted the Goose Eggs a playoff berth, but no-one would suggest they look likely to beat the Cultists, or the winner of the Taggart League. Still, they have an underrated rotation, and an excellent team defense. They'll need it, because their lineup is nothing notable, and they're going up against the spinning sawblade that is the Cultists...

Tommy Vercetti Memorial Stadium
Vice City, Floria

The Goose Eggs will host games 3,4, and 5 of this series.

Game One

Turd Ferguson posted:

CULTISTS UNLEASH HORRORS FROM BEYOND THE BORDERS OF THE UNIVERSE, GOOSE EGGS TOO COKED OUT TO NOTICE AS THEY BEAT R'LYEH 4-2

R'LYEH - With Curt Schilling injured, and Walter Johnson and Christy Mathewson resting, it was up to Eddie Cicotte to pitch in the series debut. It did not go well. The game started out promisingly for the Cultists, as Tris Speaker scored a run on a sacrifice fly from Rogers Hornsby, but through the next seven innings Cicotte allowed four runs before CthulhuDreams sent out Tom Henke to the mound in the eighth. Doug Fister, starting for the Goose Eggs, outdueled his opponent, only allowing two runs through seven. As Fister was replaced by setup man Tom Morgan, CthulhuDreams frantically signaled to the ground crew to throw open the gates to a portal to a nightmare realm anathema to human understanding. As the stadium's geometries contorted into impossible shapes and the fans in the bleachers clawed at their faces and wept blood, the Goose Eggs remained unmoved by the display, retiring six straight and ending the game.

After the game, CthulhuDreams appeared to be calm, smiling as the strangely silent crowd of reporters stared at him with blank faces. "Well, that could have gone better. Am I worried, though? No! Of course not. It's the Goose Eggs, and while we here at R'lyeh want to congratulate them on their first, and likely only, playoff win, we also want to remind them that we are a much better team and will be winning this series." CthulhuDreams then dragged off a screaming T. J. Simers of the Los Angeles Times, and Doug Fister made a short, prepared statement. "First, we loving did it! Yeah! We showed those rich assholes how we do it in Vice City! Their fancy fireworks or whatever were supposed to scare us, but joke's on them, because we take so many amphetamines before each game the boys just figured they were the usual hallucinations and played on. It's...uh...you...my hand...it's like one with...the universe..." Fister stared silently at his left hand for the next forty minutes before concluding the press conference.

Box Score

Game Two

Turd Ferguson posted:

GOOSE EGGS GIVE OUT IN ELEVEN INNINGS, CULTISTS TAKE GAME TWO 4-3, EVEN SERIES

R'LYEH - The Goose Eggs fought hard for eleven innings, but the Cultists managed to take Game Two with a walkoff single by Gabby Hartnett. Frank Tanana followed up his teammate Fister's strong outing with a well-pitched game of his own, only allowing two runs in seven innings. Walter Johnson had an unusually sloppy outing, giving up three runs off of seven hits. It should have been enough for the Goose Eggs, who led by two heading into the eighth. Tom Morgan took the mound for Vice City, expecting a quick repeat of Game One, but the stubborn Cultists took the reliever through four torturous innings and 49 pitches before first tying the game, then ending it.

Armitage appeared upbeat after the loss, commenting "Hey, so we lost one. But look at it this way: We only lost by one run, and they had to take us to extra innings to do it! Everybody was expecting the big bad Cultists to trample all over us, but we took a game from them on their turf, and now they're gonna see how much tougher we play back home! It's Vice City's year, baby!"

CthulhuDreams was equally happy, as he addressed reporters while the R'lyeh Symphony Orchestra played Prokofiev's Scythian Suite in the background. "That little fucker Armitage, he thought he stood a chance against what I've built! An unstoppable meld of man and mathematics! It is impossible for us to lose! I have seen it! The machines, they have sung me their promises, and I intend to see their will done!"

Box Score

Game Three

Turd Ferguson posted:

BUNNING SMASHES CULTISTS' OFFENSE, SWEARS BLOOD OATH AS GOOSE EGGS TAKE GAME THREE 2-1

VICE CITY - Jim Bunning is not a man to be trifled with. The vaunted R'lyeh offense could only manage a single run off of the Goose Eggs' ace pitcher, and the Vice City lineup repaid his effort in kind, scoring two runs against Christy Mathewson, with Ernie Whitt homering over the left field fence in the third inning. The Cultists, meanwhile, were only able to score after Jimmie Foxx tripled and then ran home on a wild pitch. Heading into the eighth, Vice City led by one, and the so-far reliable one-two punch of Tom Morgan and Jose Valverde saw the Goose Eggs to their second victory of the series.

After the game, Bunning stormed to the podium, furious over what he perceived to be the Cultists' illegal use of performance-enhancing substances. "I don't know what the gently caress they're taking down in R'lyeh, but I sure as poo poo know testosterone doesn't turn your skin scaly and green, or give all of your loving infielders nictating membranes! The Goose Eggs would never use - well, we use illegal drugs, but not that kind of illegal drugs, okay? I'm up for another start soon, and the Goose Eggs and myself are going to show what happens to fuckers who use things like the unfathomable, corrupting power of ancient beings for their own benefit!"

Box Score

Game Four

Turd Ferguson posted:

CULTISTS TURN TABLES ON GOOSE EGGS, WIN 2-1 SQUEAKER

VICE CITY - As if to taunt the Goose Eggs, the Cultists trotted out an untested reliever to start the fourth game of the series. Byung-Hun Kim proved his worth through five innings, though, as the Goose Eggs could only score a single run off of the spot starter in the second inning, a home run over the right field fence by Buddy Bell. The Goose Eggs added to their own misfortune in the third when catcher Ernie Whitt was charged with passed ball, advancing the runners and giving the Cultists another run. Goose Eggs starter Urban Shocker and the now familiar Tom Morgan wouldn't allow another run in the game, but it would be all the opportunity the Cultists needed, as they shut down the Vice City hitters for the rest of the game.

CthulhuDreams was ebullient after the game. "You see! You all see! The Goose Eggs are nothing! Their lineup is a nothing! I have the greatest right-handed hitter of all time, the greatest slugging first of the 20th century, Stan Musial, the two best pitchers of all time, the greatest Cub of all time! Who do the Goose Eggs have? A bunch of nobodies! We are the greatest!"

Armitage was flanked by his five starting pitchers as he held a brief postgame conference. "Look, I didn't want to say anything, because I'm pretty tired, but the guys told me to tell you that they're sick of the Cultists, and they've decided collectively that they are going to destroy that son of a bitch CthulhuDreams. I don't know, okay? They said it, not me."

Box Score

Game Five

Turd Ferguson posted:

GOOSE EGGS DROP HAMMER, BLOW CULTISTS AWAY 6-2

VICE CITY - The Goose Eggs took full advantage of their last home game in the series, hammering R'lyeh starter for six runs before the Cultists' bullpen stepped in. Setup man Tom Henke and closer Phil Coke allowed no more runs, but Tom Morgan held off the Cultists for two innings afterwards, giving the series lead to an ecstatic Goose Eggs team. Doug Fister seemed to mean what he said, allowing only two runs in the game, and the Goose Eggs' offense finally shook off the lethargy that had seemed to define the series.

The Goose Eggs allowed the press into their locker room, where players danced to OMC's "How Bizarre" and drenched each other in champagne. "Wooooooooo," shouted Al Kaline, who drove two runs in with a single in the sixth inning. "One more game! One more game!" The rest of the Goose Eggs then took up the chant, driving the assembled reporters out by snapping at them with towels.

CthulhuDreams held a short conference after the game, where he stood silently for several minutes before addressing reporters. "Do you...understand? I have seen how this ends. I have played this scenario out countless times, and every time the result is the same. The Goose Eggs...they lose. We crush them. Their spirit is crushed, and we break their minds before feeding them to our beasts! The stars have whispered to me. They tell me that it's our place in the finals, no one else's. Walter Johnson is our next starter, and he is the instrument of destiny, and of the Goose Eggs' doom."

Game Six

Turd Ferguson posted:

JOHNSON HOLDS VICE CITY TO SINGLE RUN, CULTISTS EVEN SERIES WITH 2-1 WIN

R'LYEH - CthulhuDream's promise fully materialized as Walter Johnson smothered the Goose Egg's hitters for seven straight innings, only allowing a single run and four hits. Frank Tanana also labored valiantly for seven innings, yielding two runs to the intimidating Cultists hitters, but the only time his teammates were able to score was in the sixth inning, when Al Kaline singled through the hole, went for an extra base and safely reached second, advanced to third on a wild pitch by Johnson, and was finally driven in on a single from shortstop Troy Tulowitzki. The win for Johnson will take the series to seven games.

Armitage was defiant in his postgame comments, saying "I'm proud of our team, and I'm proud of Frank Tanana. He had the harder job tonight, holding down the Cultists to just two runs, and he can hold his head up high. As for tomorrow's game, Jim Bunning has told me that he personally plans to destroy the Cultists and the evil they represent."

The Cultists' postgame conference was subject to some confusion, as reporters returning from the Goose Egg's conference expected to find their colleagues filing briefs, but ultimately could not locate their co-workers. As of press time, an iPhone belonging to a missing reporter has been recovered, but the only clue to his whereabouts has been a corrupted recording of a voice screaming "Release Christy Mathewson!" The voice has been tentatively identified as CthulhuDreams.

Box Score

Game Seven

Turd Ferguson posted:

GOOSE EGGS SLAY CULTISTS, ESCAPE FROM R'LYEH WITH 2-1 WIN, ADVANCE TO CUP FINALS

R'LYEH - Jim Bunning is a man of his word. The Goose Eggs ace pitched an absolutely masterful game tonight, allowing no runs through seven innings, striking out six, including Jimmie Foxx twice, and only allowing three hits. The Cultists attempted to do the same to the Goose Eggs, as CthulhuDreams took to the field before the game to reveal a monstrously altered Christy Mathewson. The abomination stood seven feet tall, with claws and scales where its hands and skin used to be. The appearance of the unnatural creature caused sections of the audience to flee the stadium in a panic, leaving only a devoted few to watch the outcome of the last game of the series.

The Cultists had been held scoreless through eight innings, due in part to the lightning-quick Vice City defense. Ernie Whitt led the Vice City offense, driving in two runs in the fourth. As workhorse Tom Morgan came to the mound, the Cultists took advantage of Bunning's absence and a Riggs Stephenson single put a runner on the bases. Gabby Hartnett hit a ground ball to Tulowitzki, who threw the ball to George Sisler for the double play. Ernie Banks then singled off a hard curve from Morgan, and Larry Walker drove him in with a double. The visibly nervous Morgan threw a two-seamer directly over the plate in an attempt to strike out Tris Speaker, but Speaker drove the ball over to first, only to have the ball line out to George Sisler.

George and Buddy Bell both flied out after each other in the top of the ninth, and even Goose Eggs hero Ernie Whitt, who had been so crucial in this series, could only ground out weakly against Tom Henke. As Jose Valverde took the mound for Vice City in the bottom of the ninth, he faced the heart of the Cultist lineup: Ryne Sandberg, Rogers Hornsby, and Jimmie Foxx. Papa Grande managed to get Sandberg to swing awkwardly at an outside fastball, and made the play at first after the ball bounced towards him for the first out. Hornsby almost hit it through the gap, but a diving Troy Tulowitzki made the play for the second out. Finally, Valverde managed to get Foxx to a 0-2 count before The Beast hit a long fly ball to right, ending the series for good.

As the ball landed in Al Kaline's glove, everyone left in the stadium could hear CthulhuDream's shrieks of displeasure, and the unhinged Cultists owner stormed out onto the field, stabbing the second base umpire and painting dreadful sigils on his face with the officials blood. The shambling Mathewson-creature stumbled out of the dugout, and the walls of reality seemed to slowly collapse as CthulhuDream's booming laughter carried through the stadium. The last fans and reporters scrambled for the exits, and as cyclonic winds tore bleachers from their foundations and hurled bystanders around like dolls, the Goose Eggs fled to their ship. Waves battered the players as they stumbled up to safety, and as they turned and watched, their last vision of their opponent was R'lyeh, slowly returning to the gray and churning sea.

Box Score

tatankatonk fucked around with this message at 11:38 on Sep 13, 2012

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

That is extremely frustrating.

vvv: Eh, what can you do. Larry Walker is batting right handed. Nothing is assured. We'll get them next time gadget.

Revised Super League Draft Preferences

First round:

1st pick: Snag a I-Rod or better catcher.
2nd pick: Santo unless Santo will fall to my second pick in which case grab a pitcher.

If I win the pick 'em
2nd pick: Best pitcher available
3rd pick: Grab Santo or any better 3B guy unless Santo will fall to my second pick in which case grab a LF.

2nd Round: If I need Santo get him here, otherwise BPA with a focus on relief

3rd Round: BPA with a focus on relief

Cthulhu Dreams fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Sep 13, 2012

ForeverBWFC
Oct 19, 2011

Ask 'em why and they reply the Bolton Boys are coming! All the lads and lasses, smiles upon their faces,

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

That is extremely frustrating.

Wait 'till you become a proper SL coach, then the frustration means something :colbert:

Archie Goodwin
Jan 2, 2012
Using intelligence guided by experience since 1934.
Congratulations to Armitage!

Long and Confused List of Draft Preferences

3B Mike Schmidt
SP Whitey Ford or better
LF Rickey Henderson
1B Jimmie Foxx
SP Jim Kaat
1B Eddie Murray
LF Joe Medwick
CF Kirby Puckett
RF Al Kaline
"3B" George Brett
3B Brooks Robinson
SP Mickey Lolich
SP Cakes Palmer
SP Lefty Gomez
SP David Cone
3B Al Rosen
LF Matt Holliday
SP Max Scherzer
SP ('19) Cicotte
SP Vida Blue
SP Lefty Grove
SP Frank Viola
SP Billy Pierce
SP Derek Lowe
IF Red Schoendienst
IF Joe Cronin
IF Tony Lazzeri
BPA

Sorry, Smasher.

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

Eternal Commissioner of the Super League. A new avatar. A new age, of the same old embittered Smasher that failed to escape the bonds of the SL, FM3, Johnny Hopp and Eri Yoshida "The Knuckle Princess". "The flames of Smasher's ire scorch the skies... Igniting St. Bellhorn's funeral pyre."
Teams I have preferences from
Potatoes
Unspecifieds
Mathematicians
Saints
Mooglies
Mudholes
Ted Sox
Bearers
Bulldogs
Cultists
Gumshoes
Superstars
Daydreamers
Eazy W's

Teams I need preferences from SOON
Longshots
Superbas
Leprechauns
Ramen
Postmodernists
Finger-Bangers

Pete Ladd
Mar 9, 2012

Smasher Dynamo posted:

Teams I need preferences from SOON
Postmodernists

I was waiting to see about the playoffs/possible rewards therefrom. Do the teams in the finals forfeit any of their picks in exchange for said rewards?

Ionnracht
Jun 1, 2011
Sorry about this Smasher, because of changes to my schedule and workload I'm going to have to withdraw the Leprechauns from the Super League.

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

Eternal Commissioner of the Super League. A new avatar. A new age, of the same old embittered Smasher that failed to escape the bonds of the SL, FM3, Johnny Hopp and Eri Yoshida "The Knuckle Princess". "The flames of Smasher's ire scorch the skies... Igniting St. Bellhorn's funeral pyre."
Cross-post with the other thread!

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

Super-League History: Super-League V

Top Five Storylines

1. Marauder wins both leagues, credits victory to smart planning, unrelenting devotion to evil!

2. SuperSonics win 104 games, hold Intercontinental and European Belts for 18 weeks!

3. Factorialite ushers in 'alt account' era because he's terrible like that!

4. Young guns take control of Dynamo League with first of second-year teams taking three of four playoff spots!

5. Sharks finally, finally, finally, finally, finally, finally, finally do something right!

Awards
Dynamo League MVP: Jimmie Foxx (CLN)
Smasher League MVP: Ted Williams (NEW)
Dynamo League Cy Young: Deacon Phillippe (CLU)
Smasher League Cy Young: Greg Maddux (IDA)
Reliever of the Year: Goose Gossage (CHO)

Summary
Click for the obit (where available)

With the retirement of the Skyhawks after Super-League IV, the Memento Mori Division was due for a change. It didn't really get one. It's true that, for the first time ever, the division was actually competitive, with the four teams separated by only three games by the end of the season. But, TKBomber's new team, the Phantoms, picked up right where the Skyhawks left off, winning the division and giving TKBomber a fifth straight division championship as an owner. As for the other three teams, the Forgettables, Power Rangers and Wanzers were all deeply flawed teams that still gave it all they could, and were rewarded for their efforts by getting relegated in record speed.

Team Leaders
Batting Average: '35 Joe Medwick (.324)
On-Base Percentage: '66 Frank Robinson (.376)
Home Runs: '29 Jimmie Foxx (20)
Runs Batted In: '66 Frank Robinson (101)
Stolen Bases: '66 Luis Aparicio (20)
Wins: '89 Frank Viola (14)
Earned Run Average: '35 Dizzy Dean (3.10)
Innings Pitched: '28 Pete Alexander (196.2)
Strikeouts: '66 Jim Palmer (116)
Saves: '78 Dennis Eckersley (14)

Team Leaders
Batting Average: '19 Eddie Collins (.331)
On-Base Percentage: '19 Eddie Collins (.402)
Home Runs: '08 David Wright (28)
Runs Batted In: '49 Stan Musial (121)
Stolen Bases: '19 Eddie Collins (28)
Wins: '05 Addie Joss (17)
Earned Run Average: '05 Addie Joss (2.88)
Innings Pitched: '05 Addie Joss (241.0)
Strikeouts: '05 Addie Joss (117)
Saves: '08 Billy Wagner (35)

Team Leaders
Batting Average: '84 Tony Gwynn (.311)
On-Base Percentage: '84 Tony Gwynn (.357)
Home Runs: '62 Orlando Cepeda (17)
Runs Batted In: '62 Orlando Cepeda (86)
Stolen Bases: '93 Lenny Dykstra (21)
Wins: '13 Pete Alexander (12)
Earned Run Average: '93 Curt Schilling (3.22)
Innings Pitched: '13 Pete Alexander (241.1)
Strikeouts: '93 Curt Schilling (195)
Saves: '84 Goose Gossage (23)

Team Leaders
Batting Average: '49 Joe DiMaggio (.309)
On-Base Percentage: '49 Joe DiMaggio (.384)
Home Runs: '49 Joe DiMaggio (36)
Runs Batted In: '49 Joe DiMaggio (100)
Stolen Bases: '88 Craig Biggio (14)
Wins: '85 Roger Clemens (15)
Earned Run Average: '85 Roger Clemens (4.00)
Innings Pitched: '85 Roger Clemens (236.0)
Strikeouts: '85 Roger Clemens (207)
Saves: '82 Rollie Fingers (27)

Everyone was a winner in the Vae Victis Division in Super-League V. That is, every team finished with a record above .500, not that such a strong performance prevented the bottom half of the division, the Murderbots and Emperors, from having to fight it out in the Gauntlet. The Emperors fought their way through, but the Murderbots' four-season existence ended with their relegation. On top the division, new clubs, the second-year Oranges and the rookie Losers, both made the playoffs, showing promise for the future.

Team Leaders
Batting Average: '05 Nap Lajoie (.350)
On-Base Percentage: '07 Albert Pujols (.386)
Home Runs: '60 Roger Maris (27)
Runs Batted In: '07 Albert Pujols (109)
Stolen Bases: '05 Nap Lajoie (21)
Wins: '91 David Cone (19)
Earned Run Average: '91 David Cone (3.70)
Innings Pitched: '91 David Cone (236.0)
Strikeouts: '91 David Cone (199)
Saves: '04 Billy Wagner (36)

Team Leaders
Batting Average: '28 Frankie Frisch (.292)
On-Base Percentage: '?? Oscar Charleston (.363)
Home Runs: '?? Oscar Charleston (28)
Runs Batted In: '93 Frank Thomas (98)
Stolen Bases: '93 Tim Raines (34)
Wins: '93 Jack McDowell (20)
Earned Run Average: '93 Jack McDowell (2.92)
Innings Pitched: '93 Jack McDowell (243.2)
Strikeouts: '04 C.C. Sabathia (183)
Saves: '01 John Smoltz (19)

Team Leaders
Batting Average: '15 Babe Ruth (.301)
On-Base Percentage: '15 Babe Ruth (.427)
Home Runs: '05 Ryan Howard (29)
Runs Batted In: '00 Gary Sheffield (111)
Stolen Bases: '15 Tris Speaker (32)
Wins: '03 Eddie Plank (17)
Earned Run Average: '15 Joe Wood (2.78)
Innings Pitched: '03 Eddie Plank (241.0)
Strikeouts: '15 Joe Wood (130)
Saves: '01 Mariano Rivera (36)

Team Leaders
Batting Average: '27 Ty Cobb and '27 Jimmie Foxx (.326)
On-Base Percentage: '27 Jimmie Foxx (.396)
Home Runs: '27 Jimmie Foxx (31)
Runs Batted In: '27 Al Simmons (131)
Stolen Bases: '09 Hanley Ramirez (32)
Wins: '?? Martin Dihigo (15)
Earned Run Average: '27 Rube Walberg (2.65)
Innings Pitched: '?? Martin Dihigo (230.2)
Strikeouts: '83 Ron Guidry (147)
Saves: '83 Goose Gossage (28)

The Bangers had struggled in Super-League IV, and had to fight through the Gauntlet to survive. By Super-League V, they had recovered from splitting their roster between the Finger-Bangers and Doppel-Bangers and retook their rightful position as champions of the Sic Transit Vir Division. The Unicorns, seemingly unable to keep up with the powerful Bangers team, and fell back into second place. The Postmodernists, outclassed though they were, did do the best they could with the roster they had, even if they could not avoid relegation. As for the Stevie Mitch Specials...well, they did exactly as well as a team named after Brooklyn Bruiser to do.

Team Leaders
Batting Average: '59 Yogi Berra (.314)
On-Base Percentage: '91 Barry Bonds (.396)
Home Runs: '91 Barry Bonds and '98 Vladimir Guerrero (25)
Runs Batted In: '98 Vladimir Guerrero (112)
Stolen Bases: '91 Barry Bonds (22)
Wins: '79 Don Sutton (17)
Earned Run Average: '24 Dazzy Vance (2.86)
Innings Pitched: '79 Don Sutton (226.0)
Strikeouts: '?? Smokey Joe Williams (158)
Saves: '70 Rollie Fingers (46)

Team Leaders
Batting Average: '34 Billy Herman (.295)
On-Base Percentage: '34 Billy Herman (.351)
Home Runs: '90 Mark McGwire (35)
Runs Batted In: '90 Mark McGwire (97)
Stolen Bases: '03 Honus Wagner (43)
Wins: '03 Deacon Phillippe (19)
Earned Run Average: '03 Deacon Phillippe (1.71)
Innings Pitched: '03 Deacon Phillippe (248.0)
Strikeouts: '07 Jonathan Broxton (84)
Saves: '07 Jonathan Broxton (39)

Team Leaders
Batting Average: '33 Mel Ott (.323)
On-Base Percentage: '33 Mel Ott (.417)
Home Runs: '55 Ted Williams (30)
Runs Batted In: '55 Ted Williams (114)
Stolen Bases: '90 Eric Davis (25)
Wins: '05 Jack Taylor (14)
Earned Run Average: '54 Mike Garcia (2.96)
Innings Pitched: '05 Jack Taylor (234.2)
Strikeouts: '90 Jose Rijo (126)
Saves: '90 Rob Dibble (25)

Team Leaders
Batting Average: '98 Derek Jeter (.293)
On-Base Percentage: '98 Derek Jeter (.339)
Home Runs: '03 Carlos Delgado (29)
Runs Batted In: '03 Carlos Delgado (82)
Stolen Bases: '98 Chuck Knoblauch (40)
Wins: '66 Bob Gibson (12)
Earned Run Average: '40 Curt Davis (4.51)
Innings Pitched: '73 Mel Stottlemyre (243.0)
Strikeouts: '66 Bob Gibson (207)
Saves: '98 Mariano Rivera (30)

It was perhaps inevitable that the Doppel-Bangers would win fewer games than the 105 they managed in Super-League V, but their decline to 89 games was a bit of a shock. Of course, they followed that up with a 11-1 postseason, so perhaps it was more smoke than fire. The Sharks returned to the Super-League for the third time, and managed to win the wildcard, a great accomplishment after the monumental failures of the first two incarnations of the team. The Leprechauns returned for their second season in the Super-League, and even Johnny Hopp couldn't save them from relegation this time. Oh, and the London Calling were there. Briefly.

Team Leaders
Batting Average: '08 Ty Cobb (.314)
On-Base Percentage: '89 Rickey Henderson (.369)
Home Runs: '89 Rickey Henderson (18)
Runs Batted In: '08 Ty Cobb (116)
Stolen Bases: '89 Rickey Henderson (107)
Wins: '85 Bert Blyleven (17)
Earned Run Average: '71 Don Sutton (3.20)
Innings Pitched: '50 Don Newcombe (246.2)
Strikeouts: '85 Bert Blyleven (176)
Saves: '75 Rollie Fingers (32)

Team Leaders
Batting Average: '39 Ted Williams (.314)
On-Base Percentage: '39 Ted Williams (.418)
Home Runs: '39 Ted Williams (35)
Runs Batted In: '39 Ted Williams (118)
Stolen Bases: '85 Rickey Henderson (72)
Wins: '75 Vida Blue (15)
Earned Run Average: '24 Red Faber (3.85)
Innings Pitched: '39 Lefty Grove (217.1)
Strikeouts: '95 Roger Clemens (186)
Saves: '89 Jeff Montgomery (31)

Team Leaders
Batting Average: '92 Tony Gwynn (.321)
On-Base Percentage: '44 Stan Musial (.378)
Home Runs: '06 Robinson Cano (20)
Runs Batted In: '44 Stan Musial (100)
Stolen Bases: '92 Tony Fernandez (28)
Wins: '86 Dwight Gooden (13)
Earned Run Average: '79 Ron Guidry (3.67)
Innings Pitched: '72 Jim Palmer (223.1)
Strikeouts: '79 Ron Guidry (174)
Saves: '77 Bruce Sutter (35)

Team Leaders
Batting Average: '10 Robinson Cano (.282)
On-Base Percentage: '10 Jorge Posada (.352)
Home Runs: '10 Josh Hamilton (26)
Runs Batted In: '10 Josh Hamilton (81)
Stolen Bases: '10 Elvis Andrus (14)
Wins: '10 C.C. Sabathia (15)
Earned Run Average: '33 Carl Hubbell (3.25)
Innings Pitched: '10 C.C. Sabathia (225.1)
Strikeouts: '10 C.C. Sabathia (190)
Saves: '10 Neftali Feliz (42)

In yet another down year for the Senor Goodtimes Division, the Bobbleheads were able to take another Senor Goodtimes title with little difficulty. factorialite, in a bizarre scheme, the goals of which have never been adequately explained, decided to abandon his Juggernauts for a season, running the new Dinger-Machines instead, with mixed results. The Orchids and Clippers were both offenses to all that is good and true, and were quickly expunged from the league after the season.

Team Leaders
Batting Average: '91 Mark Grace (.302)
On-Base Percentage: '91 Mark Grace (.353)
Home Runs: '06 Alex Rodriguez (23)
Runs Batted In: '06 Alex Rodriguez (103)
Stolen Bases: '06 Derek Jeter (28)
Wins: '06 Mike Mussina (14)
Earned Run Average: '06 Mike Mussina (3.63)
Innings Pitched: '91 Greg Maddux (226.2)
Strikeouts: '91 Greg Maddux (150)
Saves: '79 Goose Gossage (42)

Team Leaders
Batting Average: '99 Nomar Garciaparra (.299)
On-Base Percentage:
Home Runs: '?? Buck Leonard and '89 Bobby Bonilla (22)
Runs Batted In: '?? Buck Leonard (.363)
Stolen Bases: '84 Ryne Sandberg (29)
Wins: '69 Ferguson Jenkins (14)
Earned Run Average: '69 Ferguson Jenkins (3.48)
Innings Pitched: '69 Ferguson Jenkins (222.2)
Strikeouts: '69 Ferguson Jenkins (146)
Saves: '01 Billy Wagner (16)

Team Leaders
Batting Average: '30 Buddy Myer (.279)
On-Base Percentage: '60 Mickey Mantle (.364)
Home Runs: '65 Eddie Mathews (29)
Runs Batted In: '60 Mickey Mantle (96)
Stolen Bases: '19 Joe Jackson (25)
Wins: '84 Rick Reuschel (12)
Earned Run Average: '60 Whitey Ford (2.93)
Innings Pitched: '22 Pete Alexander (232.0)
Strikeouts: '67 Tom Seaver (155)
Saves: '89 Rob Dibble (27)

Team Leaders
Batting Average: '98 Mark Grace (.282)
On-Base Percentage: '99 Barry Bonds (.357)
Home Runs: '04 Ryan Howard (24)
Runs Batted In: '99 Jeff Kent and '04 Ryan Howard (72)
Stolen Bases: '99 Barry Bonds (10)
Wins: '?? Satchel Paige (15)
Earned Run Average: '?? Satchel Paige (3.81)
Innings Pitched: '?? Satchel Paige (238.1)
Strikeouts: '?? Satchel Paige (210)
Saves: '99 Robb Nen (30)

After three seasons of frustration, the SuperSonics finally broke through in Super-League V, winning the division in a walk. Even better for them, this coincided with the worst season in Eazy W's history, sending the South Bolton club to the Gauntlet, which they would end up surviving. The 2nd-place finisher, the Burma Imperialists, were also survivors, and even the Idaho Potatoes, who had looked so shaky during most of the regular season, had themselves a spirited run in the Gauntlet before falling short in the penultimate round. Truly, it was a great season for the division as a whole.

Team Leaders
Batting Average: '29 Mickey Cochrane (.286)
On-Base Percentage: '29 Mickey Cochrane (.363)
Home Runs: '95 Ken Griffey, Jr. (31)
Runs Batted In: '95 Ken Griffey, Jr. (111)
Stolen Bases: '21 Kiki Cuyler (32)
Wins: '94 Pedro Martinez (18)
Earned Run Average: '03 Rube Waddell (2.86)
Innings Pitched: '59 Bob Gibson (226.2)
Strikeouts: '94 Pedro Martinez (210)
Saves: '89 John Franco (45)

Team Leaders
Batting Average: '11 Eddie Collins (.309)
On-Base Percentage: '11 Eddie Collins (.355)
Home Runs: '51 Ralph Kiner (31)
Runs Batted In: '51 Ralph Kiner (98)
Stolen Bases: '11 Eddie Collins (21)
Wins: '?? Hilton Smith (20)
Earned Run Average: '?? Hilton Smith (3.17)
Innings Pitched: '?? Hilton Smith (235.2)
Strikeouts: '37 Bob Feller (140)
Saves: '07 Jonathan Papelbon (35)

Team Leaders
Batting Average: '?? Pop Lloyd (.330)
On-Base Percentage: '03 Brian Giles (.388)
Home Runs: '95 Fred McGriff (39)
Runs Batted In: '95 Fred McGriff (121)
Stolen Bases: '01 Ichiro Suzuki (50)
Wins: '95 Greg Maddux (23)
Earned Run Average: '95 Greg Maddux (.279)
Innings Pitched: '95 Greg Maddux (241.2)
Strikeouts: '95 Greg Maddux (170)
Saves: '01 Kazuhiro Sasaki (40)

Team Leaders
Batting Average: '26 Lou Gehrig (.304)
On-Base Percentage: '26 Babe Ruth (.419)
Home Runs: '26 Babe Ruth (37)
Runs Batted In: '26 Babe Ruth (93)
Stolen Bases: '61 Maury Wills (37)
Wins: '61 Sandy Koufax (13)
Earned Run Average: '09 Cliff Lee (3.94)
Innings Pitched: '61 Don Drysdale (223.0)
Strikeouts: '61 Sandy Koufax (213)
Saves: '85 Dave Righetti (30)

Nerokerubina
Jun 7, 2007

I think swords are neat. Do you think swords are neat?!

Preferences for first round pick (in order):
Josh Gibson
Alex Rodriguez
Ted Williams
Willie Mays

Second Round: Best Player Available*
Third Round: Best Player Available*

please follow these rules for the draft:

A. Do not pick a player whose sole position is Right Field and is unable to play other psoitions effectively.
B. Pick exactly One Outfielder, One Infielder, and one Starting Pitcher (in whatever order)
from among the three picks,

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Pitching is the art of instilling fear.
Taggart League Championship Series

As the second hat that owner Notthatsambeckett has entered into the fantasy fantasy baseball ring, the Polyarny version of his Postmodernists appear to be substantially superior to his earlier effort. The key to his team's success can be traced to his careful, if not exactly original, assembling of players who are almost without exception incredibly speedy baserunners or excellent contact hitters, or both, and his rotation of mostly deadballers, all of whom play and pitch within a cavernous expanse of a ballpark. Visiting teams see their offenses smothered, and teams hosting the Postmodernists are unable to stem the constant hemorrhaging of base hits and stolen bases. Only two question marks can honestly trouble Notthatsambeckett at this point: First, the Postmodernists played in the least competitive division in the Expansion Cup, and beating up on the likes of the Bearers, the Saints, the Unspecifieds, and the Longshots does not exactly translate into a playoffs steamroller; Second, the Super-League is a far harsher environment than the EC, where a Doppel-Bangers Jr. might run into its conceptual parent, and be destroyed.

The Sub Pen
Polyarny, Murmansk Oblast

The Sub Pen will host games 3, 4, and 5 of this series.

First time owner gingemidget's Daydreamers did not emerge as playoff favorites until later in the year, when everyone realized they had an excellent pitching staff and the most powerful lineup in their division. While most non-DH teams are stereotypically associated with baserunning and defense, gingemidget took Earl Weaver's words to heart:

Earl Weaver posted:

Team speed, for chrissake! You get fuckin' goddamn little fleas on the fuckin' bases getting picked off, trying to steal, getting thrown out, taking runs away from you. You get them big cocksuckers that can hit the fuckin' ball out of the ballpark and you can't make any goddamn mistakes.

Hit the loving ball out of the ballpark indeed. The Daydreamers led the pack with 181 home runs, most in the Taggart League. Now, power will meet speed, and regardless of the winner, the Goose Eggs are almost certainly doomed.

Trethowan Park
Barrow-in-Furness, Cumbria

Trethowan Park will host games 1, 2, 6, and 7 of this series.

Turd Ferguson posted:

POSTMODERNISTS STUMBLE IN FRONT OF MADDUX, DAYDREAMERS TAKE FIRST GAME 4-1

Sometimes, your best is just not good enough, especially when your best is going up against Greg Maddux. The hit machine of the Postmodernists sputtered and died at the hands of one of the greatest pitchers of all time, and Barrow didn't think twice before taking advantage of their ace's performance, opening up a 2-0 lead in the second innings with back-to-back home runs off of "Noodles" Hahn. The Postmodernists managed to score only once, on a fielding error by Barrow third baseman Frank Baker. For the rest of the game, they were held at bay first by Maddux, who pitched seven innings, and then by the combo of Keith Foulke and Jim Kern in the eight and ninth, respectively. Todd Worrell, from the Polyarny bullpen, failed to hold the score, giving up a run to Barrow's hitters in the eighth.

After the game, the typically restrained gingemidget thanked his opponent for "a sporting match" in a short press conference. NotThatSamBeckett responded by reading a long essay entitled "Forgetting Baudrillard: Capitalist Theory and the Subcultural Paradigm of Expressionism and Socialism" to reporters.

Box Score

Didn't realize how late it was when I started, the rest will be up tomorrow.

Game Two

Game Three

Game Four

Game Five

tatankatonk fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Sep 19, 2012

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

First Second Projected Dispersal Draft!

For this post, I am making the following assumptions:

1. The Postmodernists win the Taggart League Finals

2. Neither Doop nor thened ever show up again

3. The Old Hoss Radbourns win the vote in the other thread

4. I don't finally snap and destroy the entire Super-League in a fit of pique

Okay? So, let's do this:

Round 1
1. Idaho Potatoes - '?? Josh Gibson (C)
Comments: The easy pick, and the right pick
2. Philadelphia Longshots - VACATED
3. Antarctic Unspecifieds - '39 Ted Williams (LF)
Comments: Another easy pick.
4. Poughkeepsie Superbas - '01 Alex Rodriguez (SS)
Comments: A-Rod can outhit Aparicio/Andrus/Campaneris combined. Of course, you do lose a bit of fielding, but, who 30 HRs is certainly worth it.
5. Leprechauns Old Hoss Radbourns - '78 Mike Schmidt (3B)
Comments: Upside too high not to give him a shot, especially since your top option is currently Brooks Robinson, who can't really hit.
6. Hakata Runnin' Ramen - VACATED
7. Oxbridge Mathematicians - '51 Yogi Berra (C)
Comments: I don't know if this is a pick you really need to make, especially since Buster Posey is probably going to win the MVP this year. Granted, he hasn't been doing great for you, but still...
8. Norfolk Spinter Cells - VACATED
9. Second City Saints - '60 Whitey Ford (SP)
Comments: Incidentally, Whitey Ford was famous for enjoying the nightlife, so he'll be an interesting addition to the Saints, I guess.
10. Great Googly Mooglies - '98 Ivan Rodriguez (C)
Comments: I'm sure a catcher who never draws a walk and doesn't hit for power that often will be a great addition to you club!
11. Madison Mudholes - '95 Roger Clemens (SP)
Comments: Clemens has always been solid in the Super-League. This is a good pick.
12. Ted Sox - '51 Willie Mays (CF)
Comments: Mays was good for the Oranges way back when. He'll be good again.
13. St. Paul Bearers - '06 Mordecai Brown (SP)
Comments: Is this the end of the Doyle Alexander experience? gently caress, I hope so.
14. Portland Bulldogs - '35 Joe Medwick (RF)
Comments: TKBomber gets another ex-Phantom for his team.
15. Ryleh Cultists (from Vice City Goose Eggs) - '78 Steve Carlton (SP)
Comments: Pride goeth before the fall, Cthulhu.
16. Lombard Street Gumshoes - '85 Rickey Henderson (LF)
Comments: Well, it'll shore up your outfield at least.
17. Rated R Superstars - '01 Ivan Rodriguez (C)
Comments: If all you've got are Molinas, then I-Rod must look like a fantastic hitter.
18. Ryleh Cultists - '64 Ron Santo (3B)
Comments: More Cubs for the Cultists. That's very unfortunate for you.
19. Polyarny Postmodernists - Some player from the Sonics
20. Barrow Daydreamers - '75 Joe Morgan (2B)
Comments: Saved by the Goog
Sandwich Picks
x1. Luna Landers - '39 Bobby Doerr (2B)
Comments: Not sure if you wanted Doerr or Brett to play 3B. Then again, '89 Brett can't really play third, so, I'd go with Doerr.
x2. Ryleh Cultists - '64 Billy Williams (LF)
Comments: You want a LF that can make an impact, then Billy Williams will have to do. And yes, that means another Cub! And now you have three players from the old Electrics on your roster (Santo, Williams, Walker)! And if there were ever a team cursed, it was them. I mean, their owner went on to become an internet video critic! Burn, Cthulhu, burn! Ha ha ha! My villainy knows no bounds!
Round 2
21. Idaho Potatoes - '62 Willie McCovey (1B)
Comments: Good value pick.
22. Philadelphia Longshots - VACATED
23. Antarctic Unspecifieds - '04 Carlos Beltran (CF)
Comments: Another team saved by the good!
24. Poughkeepsie Superbas - '89 Kirby Puckett (OF)
Comments: Even if Josh Hamilton were perfectly durable, you'd still want an upgrade in the outfield.
25. Leprechauns Old Hoss Radbourns - '39 Jimmie Foxx (1B)
Comments: With the understanding that he goes to DH, and Stargell goes to left.
26. Hakata Runnin' Ramen - VACATED
27. Oxbridge Mathematicians - '04 Jeff Kent (2B)
Comments: Of course, '04 Jeff Kent is 36 years old...and, in real life, is going to be on the next season of Survivor, so, that's a lot of intangibles working against you.
28. Norfolk Spinter Cells - VACATED
29. South Bolton Eazy W's (from Second City Saints via Great Googly-Mooglies) - '82 Robin Yount (SS)
Comments: The W's will apparently never die. I mean, if putting a 19 year-old girl in the bullpen didn't kill them, I don't know what will.
30. Great Googly Mooglies - '04 Jeff Bagwell (1B)
Comments: None
31. Madison Mudholes - '49 Red Schoendienst (2B)
Comments: Somehow, Schoendienst is a Hall of Famer. I guess the '40s were a down era for middle infielders. Better than Marty Marion, at least.
32. Ted Sox - '66 Jim Kaat (SP)
Comments: Kaat is usually solid.
33. St. Paul Bearers - '04 Berkman (OF)
Comments: Actually, Berkman is pretty good, even if he is a bit limited defensively.
34. Portland Bulldogs - VACATED
35. Vice City Goose Eggs - Some player from the Sonics
36. Lombard Street Gumshoes - '87 Eddie Murray (1B)
Comments: Did you know that Eddie Murray is one of only four players with 500 home runs and 3000 hits? Sounds crazy, right, I mean Eddie Murray did that? Really? But it's true, Eddie Murray rang up some real numbers in the least exciting way possible.
37. Rated R Superstars - '54 Larry Doby (CF)
Comments: Almost a real center fielder!
38. Ryleh Cultists - '84 Lance Parrish (C)
Comments: Couldn't find another Cub that fit your parameters.
39. Polyarny Postmodernists - '68 Mickey Lolich (SP)
Comments: Not a lot of players fit the MO of your team.
40. Fukuoka Finger-Bangers (from Barrow Daydreamers) - '82 Rollie Fingers (RP)
Comments: Must be fate.
Round 3
41. Idaho Potatoes - '68 Willie Horton (LF)
Comments: I'm sure this would have been exciting if you were a Tigers fan.
42. Philadelphia Longshots - VACATED
43. Antarctic Unspecifieds - '36 Chuck Klein (OF)
Comments: Believe in Chuck Klein.
44. Poughkeepsie Superbas - '24 Red Faber (SP)
Comments: Not exciting, but serviceable.
45. Leprechauns Old Hoss Radbourns - '72 Mike Marshall (RP)
Comments: This is where Dr. Mike Marshall belongs, this is his home!
46. Hakata Runnin' Ramen - VACATED
47. Oxbridge Mathematicians - '59 Roberto Clemente
Comments: Because no one else wanted him!
48. Norfolk Spinter Cells - VACATED
49. Second City Saints - '46 Bob Lemon (SP)
Comments: This is about respect, Senerio!
50. Great Googly Mooglies - '01 Rafael Palmeiro
Comments: You loving deserve Rafael Palmeiro
51. Madison Mudholes - '39 Joe Cronin (SS)
Comments: Funny story, this was at the stage of his career where guys like Wes Farrell and Lefty Grove incessantly complained about Cronin's crappy defense. Still a good hitter, though.
52. Ted Sox - '66 Jim Palmer (SP)
Comments: Super-young, but still Jim Palmer.
53. St. Paul Bearers - '97 Robb Nen (RP)
Comments: Pure power.
54. Portland Bulldogs - '37 Lefty Gomez (SP)
Comments: drat TKBomber's perfidy!
55. Vice City Goose Eggs - '60 Nellie Fox (2B)
Comments: Great defense, not so much with the stick.
56. Lombard Street Gumshoes - '68 Al Kaline (RF)
Comments: Kaline!
57. Rated R Superstars - '98 David Cone (SP)
Comments: Power pitching, but kind of erratic.
58. Ryleh Cultists - '89 Jeff Montgomery (RP)
Comments: Probably won't kill your team.
59. Polyarny Postmodernists - '43 Bill Dickey (C)
Comments: Ray Schalk must be stopped!
60. Barrow Daydreamers - '89 George Brett (3B)
Comments: Just a guess, really.

Smasher Dynamo fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Sep 17, 2012

The Goog
Aug 6, 2007

It's a Goog Day, yes it is!
EDIT: Oh lord I traded my every worldly possession for a chance to get Ted Williams or Josh Gibson. I'm either an idiot or a moron or perhaps just dumb. Nothing to see here.

The Goog fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Sep 17, 2012

Archie Goodwin
Jan 2, 2012
Using intelligence guided by experience since 1934.
Aaaaand it begins.

I need pitching and am not going to take crafty lefty Jim Kaat in the first round, considering he came from my first team, which was cursed. I wish to offer my third round pick to the Radbourns in exchange for '77 Rick Reuschel and '97 Andy Pettitte. They're not world-beaters, but you could use another pick to shore up your doomed brave experiment.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

This is a team built around two issues:
Straight Edge, and Respect.
Now, being Straight Edge has cleared my mind. While my team may not HISTORICALLY be Straight Edge, each of them has promised me, personally, that they would stay Straight Edge for the duration of the season. They have agreed to embrace this, and this will help them more than any performance enhancing drug ever could.

Now it's time for respect. We all agree that we deserve respect. We are made up of some of the best in the world and we intend to go out there and prove it.
I intend, every week, to earn respect.
The St. Louis Cardinals won the World Series to earn respect in 2011 for their eleventh championship. The New York Yankees have won it twenty-seven times. They deserve respect for that. The Boston Red Sox won it in 2004 and 2007, bring their total championships up to 11. The White Sox, the team who owns the stadium the Saints play in, won it for the third time in 2005, and the Cubs...
...wait.
They haven't won in over 100 years, have they? They haven't even made it in sixty-odd years! I guess they're just losers.
Second City Saints Roster:
(1960 Milwaukee Braves
1992 New York Mets
2003 Colorado Rockies
2003 Montreal Expos
2005 New York Mets)
No-DH
CF: 2003 Carlos Beltran
3B: 1960 Eddie Mathews/1992 David Wright
LF: 1919 Joe Jackson
RF: 1960 Hank Aaron
C: 2005 Mike Piazza (1960 Del Crandall catches for Whitey Ford and Dizzy Dean)
1B: 2003 Todd Helton/1960 Joe Adcock
2B:2003 Jose Vidro/1992 Jeff Kent
SS:2005 José Reyes
DH
CF: Carlos Beltran
3B: Eddie Mathews/David Wright
LF: Joe Jackson
RF: Hank Aaron
C: Mike Piazza (Del Crandall catches for Whitey Ford and Dizzy Dean)
1B: Todd Helton/Joe Adcock
DH: 1992 Bobby Bonilla
2B: Jose Vidro/Jeff Kent
SS:José Reyes
Bench:
1. 2005 Cliff Floyd
Minors:
2003 Mark Bellhorn
2003 Orlando Cabrera

Draft Whitey Ford
Pedro Martinez
1960 Warren Spahn
Dizzy Dean From Phantoms
Draft Bob Lemon(/whoever I get as my second SP)
Relievers:
CL: Dennis Eckersley From Phantoms
2005 Heath Bell Setup
2003 Brian Fuentes Short
1992 John Franco Short
1960 Don McMahon Mid
1911 Harry Krause (From Mooglies) Long
Minors:
1960 Juan Pizarro

Best in the world. :smug:

Senerio fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Sep 19, 2012

Warm Sarsaparilla
Jan 3, 2012

I am totally in concurrence with those picks for the Radbourns; thanks for doing that. Especially glad to get Mike Marshall, who I planned to target for theme.

If it is permitted, I would obviously accept Goodwin's deal.

e: I would gladly offer tatankatonk half ownership in the Radbourns.

blackmongoose
Mar 31, 2011

DARK INFERNO ROOK!
TRADE!

Unspecifieds offer:
1st round Dispersal Draft pick

Googly-Mooglies offer:
3rd round Dispersal Draft pick
2009 Cliff Lee
1911 Home Run Baker
2003 Jose Valverde

The Goog
Aug 6, 2007

blackmongoose posted:

TRADE!

Unspecifieds offer:

Googly-Mooglies offer:
3rd round Dispersal Draft pick
2009 Cliff Lee
1911 Home Run Baker
2003 Jose Valverde

It's quite a price to pay, and I don't exactly like breaking up one of my clone pairs, but the Mooglies accept. I'll have an updated roster posted soon; for right now, an updated list of draft preferences!

19?? Josh Gibson
1939 Ted Williams
2001 Alex Rodriguez
1978 Mike Schmidt
1951 Yogi Berra
1964 Ron Santo
1966 Brooks Robinson
1989 George Brett
1998 Ivan Rodriguez
2001 Ivan Rodriguez
1985 Rickey Henderson
2004 Carlos Beltran
1982 Robin Yount
Best Player Available

blackmongoose
Mar 31, 2011

DARK INFERNO ROOK!
Unspecifieds draft preference change:

1st round:
Yogi Berra
Willy Mays
Roger Clemens

2nd Round:
Carlos Beltran
Robin Yount
Pudge Rodriguez
(note: do not take someone at the same position my first pick was at)

3rd Round:
Best non-outfield player available

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

First Second Third Fourth Fifth Sixth Projected Dispersal Draft!

Okay? So, let's do this:

Round 1
3. Great Googly-Mooglies (from Antarctic Unspecifieds) - '39 Ted Williams (LF)
Comments: A-Rod can outhit Aparicio/Andrus/Campaneris combined. Of course, you do lose a bit of fielding, but, who 30 HRs is certainly worth it.
Comments: Upside too high not to give him a shot, especially since your top option is currently Brooks Robinson, who can't really hit.
7. Oxbridge Mathematicians - '75 Joe Morgan (2B)
Comments: Was enraging me really worth it?
Comments: Incidentally, Whitey Ford was famous for enjoying the nightlife, so he'll be an interesting addition to the Saints, I guess.
10. Antarctic Unspecifieds (from Great Googly Mooglies) - '51 Yogi Berra (C)
Comments: Grumble!
Comments: Clemens has always been solid in the Super-League. This is a good pick.
12. Ted Sox - '06 Mordecai Brown (SP)
Comments: And the change in preferences leads to this.
13. St. Paul Bearers - '51 Willie Mays (CF)
Comments: Luck beats all!
15. Ryleh Cultists (from Vice City Goose Eggs) - '78 Steve Carlton (SP)
17. Rated R Superstars - '98 Ivan Rodriguez (C)
Comments: If all you've got are Molinas, then I-Rod must look like a fantastic hitter.
20. Barrow Daydreamers - '89 Kirby Puckett (CF)
Comments: Screwed by the Goog!
Sandwich Picks
x1. Luna Landers - '39 Bobby Doerr (2B)
Comments: Not sure if you wanted Doerr or Brett to play 3B. Then again, '89 Brett can't really play third, so, I'd go with Doerr.
Comments: You want a LF that can make an impact, then Billy Williams will have to do. And yes, that means another Cub! And now you have three players from the old Electrics on your roster (Santo, Williams, Walker)! And if there were ever a team cursed, it was them. I mean, their owner went on to become an internet video critic! Burn, Cthulhu, burn! Ha ha ha! My villainy knows no bounds!
Round 2
23. Antarctic Unspecifieds - '82 Robin Yount (CF)
Comments: I hope Yount kills your team like every other team he's been on.
24. Poughkeepsie Superbas - '04 Lance Berkman (OF)
Comments: Even if Josh Hamilton were perfectly durable, you'd still want an upgrade in the outfield.
27. Oxbridge Mathematicians - '36 Chuck Klein (OF)
Comments: Why do you hate me, Revenant Threshold?
29. South Bolton Eazy W's (from Second City Saints via Great Googly-Mooglies) - '99 Robb Nen (RP)
Comments: The W's will apparently never die. I mean, if putting a 19 year-old girl in the bullpen didn't kill them, I don't know what will.
30. Great Googly Mooglies - '66 Brooks Robinson (3B)
Comments: #@$@#$@#$@#$@!
Comments: Somehow, Schoendienst is a Hall of Famer. I guess the '40s were a down era for middle infielders. Better than Marty Marion, at least.
33. St. Paul Bearers - '39 Joe Cronin)
Comments: Of course, he's not much of a fielder by '39, but you wanted him.
Comments: Did you know that Eddie Murray is one of only four players with 500 home runs and 3000 hits? Sounds crazy, right, I mean Eddie Murray did that? Really? But it's true, Eddie Murray rang up some real numbers in the least exciting way possible.
38. Ryleh Cultists - '01 Ivan Rodriguez (C)
Comments: Ivan "Lance" Rodriguez will be a great fit for your team.
39. Polyarny Postmodernists - '68 Mickey Lolich (SP)
Round 3
43. Antarctic Unspecifieds - '89 George Brett (3B)
Comments: Good enough!
47. Oxbridge Mathematicians - '82 Jack Clark (OF)
50. Antarctic Unspecifieds (from Great Googly Mooglies) - '84 Lance Parrish (C)
Comments: I'm pretty sure this is right.
51. Madison Mudholes - '60 Billy Pierce (SP)
Comments: Beats Dick Groat and Tony Lazzeri!
53. St. Paul Bearers - '97 Robb Nen (RP)
Comments: Pure power.
56. Old Hoss Radbourns (from Lombard Street Gumshoes) - '95 Tim Wakefield (RP)
Comments: Wakefield!
60. Barrow Daydreamers - '06 Adam Dunn (LF)
Comments: Dunn can never die!

Smasher Dynamo fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Sep 18, 2012

Warm Sarsaparilla
Jan 3, 2012

Tim Wakefield listed as a reliever? Well, Rick Aguilera is the better pick, but I need innings eaten! I'll take him at the end of the third.

Note to self: push fences back due to excessive knuckleballing....

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008
Let's do some updated draft preferences! Hooray! Mathematicians alter to;

19?? Josh Gibson
1939 Ted Williams
2001 Alex Rodriguez
1975 Joe Morgan
1951 Willie Mays
1985 Rickey Henderson
1978 Mike Schmidt
2004 Jeff Kent
1936 Chuck Klein
1959 Roberto Clemente
1964 Ron Santo
1995 Roger Clemens

Then BPA that isn't a catcher, 1B or SS or a position i've already selected in the draft.

Revenant Threshold fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Sep 18, 2012

Ginge
Sep 8, 2011

Well, Chippy is already my favourite character!

New, shorter draft preferences:

1st round: <possible Sonics pick>, Joe Morgan, Kirby Puckett, BPA (not 1B, 3B, SS, LF, SP)

3rd round: Adam Dunn, BPA (not 1B, 3B)

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

Edit: It appears I am retarded, but let's fix some of the damage and take 2001 Irod over Lance Parrish.

Cthulhu Dreams fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Sep 18, 2012

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

Also, after careful consideration, I've decided that the tensions between the old guard and the new corporate owners must be resolved the only way I can think of...outright war.

Whichever block of four teams has the higher collective winning percentage at the end of the next season will all automatically survive to the next Super-League. As for the losers, they will form the first round of next season's Gauntlet, guaranteeing at least two of them are relegated.

The two teams are:

Marauder's Marauders
Florida Oranges
Fukuoka Finger-Bangers
Juneau Juggernauts
Luna Landers

Superstars, LLC
Great Googly-Mooglies
Portland Bulldogs
Rated R Superstars
Ryleh Cultists

Viscount Slim
Mar 9, 2012
I really, really, really don't want to do this to you, Smasher, but we should get Carlton, our second overall preference, over rookie Mays, who wasn't on our board.

I'm sorry. I hate the constant pick shifting.

factorialite
Mar 3, 2008

by Lowtax

Smasher Dynamo posted:

Also, after careful consideration, I've decided that the tensions between the old guard and the new corporate owners must be resolved the only way I can think of...outright war.

Whichever block of four teams has the higher collective winning percentage at the end of the next season will all automatically survive to the next Super-League. As for the losers, they will form the first round of next season's Gauntlet, guaranteeing at least two of them are relegated.

The two teams are:

Marauder's Marauders
Florida Oranges
Fukuoka Finger-Bangers
Juneau Juggernauts
Luna Landers

Superstars, LLC
Great Googly-Mooglies
Portland Bulldogs
Rated R Superstars
Ryleh Cultists

Interesting.

The die has been cast.

I should note that there is almost no upside (not that I care), because the stable with the higher winning percentage is just really likely to already evade the gauntlet. Oh well!

I hope there are no objections to A Tribe Called Quest being the official band of Marauder's Marauders. It just makes sense, you know?

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

factorialite posted:

I should note that there is almost no upside (not that I care), because the stable with the higher winning percentage is just really likely to already evade the gauntlet. Oh well!

I told you this right at the start....

factorialite
Mar 3, 2008

by Lowtax

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

I told you this right at the start....

I know, but it somehow makes it better.

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

First Second Third Fourth Fifth Sixth Seventh Eighth Projected Dispersal Draft!

Okay? So, let's do this:

Round 1
Comments: Was enraging me really worth it?
Comments: Grumble!
12. Ted Sox - '06 Mordecai Brown (SP)
Comments: And the change in preferences leads to this.
13. St. Paul Bearers - '78 Steve Carlton (SP)
Comments: Luck beats all!
15. Ryleh Cultists (from Vice City Goose Eggs) - '98 Ivan Rodriguez (C)
17. Rated R Superstars - '01 Ivan Rodriguez (C)
Comments: Screwed by the Goog!
Sandwich Picks
x1. Luna Landers - '51 Willie Mays (CF)
Round 2
Comments: I hope Yount kills your team like every other team he's been on.
24. Poughkeepsie Superbas - '04 Carlos Beltran (CF)
27. Oxbridge Mathematicians - '36 Chuck Klein (OF)
Comments: Why do you hate me, Revenant Threshold?
29. South Bolton Eazy W's (from Second City Saints via Great Googly-Mooglies) - '99 Robb Nen (RP)
Comments: #@$@#$@#$@#$@!
33. St. Paul Bearers - '04 Lance Berkman (OF)
Comments: Of course, he's not much of a fielder by '04, but you wanted him.
38. Ryleh Cultists - '68 Mickey Lolich (SP)
Comments: Ugh.
39. Polyarny Postmodernists - '97 Robb Nen (RP)
Round 3
Comments: Good enough!
Comments: I'm pretty sure this is right.
51. Madison Mudholes - '39 Bobby Doerr (2B)
Comments: Beats Dick Groat and Tony Lazzeri!
53. St. Paul Bearers - '39 Joe Cronin (SS)
Comments: Can hit, not much fielding, though.
Comments: Wakefield!
Comments: Dunn can never die!

Smasher Dynamo fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Sep 18, 2012

Pete Ladd
Mar 9, 2012
Making the same assumptions, I'm fine with Nen and Dickey.

If I get screwed out of Robb Nen, take '19 Eddie Cicotte, since I can't imagine anyone else taking him, so easy for you.

I'd take the Sonics' Willie Mays, given my druthers, by the way. Failing that, Matty.

Bless you for putting up with this, by the way.

The Goog
Aug 6, 2007

NotThatSamBeckett posted:

Bless you for putting up with this, by the way.

Seriously, this. Thanks a bunch, Smasher.

The Mooglies and Superstars are a-ok with their picks right now.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
If Mays falls to me, I'll take him. I guess make my pitcher preference last on the list instead of where I had it before.

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

Mooseontheloose posted:

If Mays falls to me, I'll take him. I guess make my pitcher preference last on the list instead of where I had it before.

Are you sure you really want to make me go through the list again?

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

^^^^^ To be fair, it does get him Willie Mays, though it also gets me steve carlton so I'm not an unbiased observer here.

Mock draft assuming the Ted Sox Pick Mays AKA holy gently caress I sympathise with Smasher now

Smasher will probably hate me for this, but let's go! I'm assuming that the 1st draft, the changes, and the 2nd draft represent the changes in players preferences. Changes are highlighted in bold. I think the draft comes out something like this:

Round 1

Everything above this line is unchanged!

12. Ted Sox - Willie Mays '51
Comments: And the change in preferences beings here.
13. St. Paul Bearers - '06 Mordecai Brown (SP) - or Carlton if their defense sucks. I went with brown because he's 29 and Carlton is 33.
15. Ryleh Cultists (from Vice City Goose Eggs) - '78 Steve Carlton (SP) - or Brown.
17. Rated R Superstars - '98 Ivan Rodriguez (C) - Superstars get Rodriguez the younger.

Sandwich Picks
x1. Luna Landers - '39 Bobby Doerr (2B) - Back to Bobby Doerr
x2. Ryleh Cultists - '01 Ivan Rodriguez (C)

Okay, the orginal draft had me picking billy Williams at this point and '01 Ivan Rodriguez (C) falling to my second pick. But that seems, unlikely, so let's assume I have to take him here.

So at this point Billy Williams goes into the draft, and we enter round 2.

Round 2
24. Poughkeepsie Superbas - '04 Carlos Beltran (CF)
27. Oxbridge Mathematicians - '36 Chuck Klein (OF) - This is why Oxbridge had already preferenced, and as he's preferencing Gibson and poo poo, I assume that is absolute and he doesn't want billy. However, there is a possibility that he does, in which case he picks him here.
33. St. Paul Bearers - '04 Lance Berkman (OF) If Oxbridge takes Billy, these guys want him over Chuck.
38. Ryleh Cultists - '64 Billy Williams (LF) I get him here instead! No-one else wants a left fielder. If Oxbridge takes him though, Chuck falls to the bearers, and I get Lance Berkman instead. Woooo.

As we can see not much changes. Unfortunately, this is not be be the case for much longer and I lack Smasher's incisive eye for these matters. At this point, Mickey Lolich enters the draft, leading to two scenarios: A) The Postmodernists keeps Nen B) They take Lolich. This is predicated on them taking Nen. If he doesn't.. a lot changes.

Scenario A: Postmodernists Keep Nen

39. Polyarny Postmodernists - '97 Robb Nen (RP)

Round 3
44. Poughkeepsie Superbas - '68 Mickey Lolich (SP) - I'm pretty sure he's better than '24 Red Faber (SP), this kicks Faber down.

49. Second City Saints - '24 Red Faber (SP) - it's close, but I think Red is better than '46 Bob Lemon (SP)
51. Madison Mudholes - '46 Bob Lemon (SP) - A weird situation had arisen where the Mudholes are drafting two second basemen. This resolves that situation, and solves the larger draft issues.

Scenario B: Postmodernists take Lolich :ohdear:

39. Polyarny Postmodernists - '97 Robb Nen (RP) '68 Mickey Lolich (SP)
40. Fukuoka Finger-Bangers (from Barrow Daydreamers) - '97 Robb Nen (RP)

Alas, the thread of destiny is broken and the Finger Bangers don't get Fingers. Unless they do want him in which case nothing changes except that Nen falls to the Superstars.

Round 3
51. Madison Mudholes - '66 Jim Palmer (SP)
52. Ted Sox - '37 Lefty Gomez (SP)
54. Portland Bulldogs - '98 David Cone (SP)
56. Old Hoss Radbourns (from Lombard Street Gumshoes) - '82 Rollie Fingers (RP)
57. Rated R Superstars - 1960 Billy Pierce (SP as BPA)

Cthulhu Dreams fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Sep 18, 2012

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

Double post.

:siren: 1st Trade Offer - Senerio: In the above scenario, it looks like Whitey Ford would fall to me if I swapped the Vice Eggs pick with Senerio for their first rounder and drafted Clemens (Mudholes draft Brown, Bearers draft Carlton and Whitey Ford comes again to Senario) so I offer the Goose Eggs first round pick and my third round pick to Senerio for their first round pick if I am correct in my assessment of the scenario above.

The trade is conditional on Ford falling to the Vice Eggs pick, and if it doesn't, the picks are swapped back

:siren: 2nd Trade offer - Ted Sox: Sell me your first round pick in return for my pick from the goose eggs - Number 15 and my third round pick. Willie Mays still falls to you ahead of MrNoun, and I get a pitching upgrade.

Cthulhu Dreams fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Sep 18, 2012

ForeverBWFC
Oct 19, 2011

Line-up and Roster
Starting Line-up and Batting order
  1. Duke Snider (CF)
  2. Al Simmons (LF)
  3. Lou Whitaker (2B)
  4. Babe Ruth (RF)
  5. John Olerud (1B)
  6. Asdrubal Cabrera (SS)
  7. Kirk Gibson (DH) (in inter-league play, remove Gibson and have the pitcher/pinch hitter at #9)
  8. Scott Rolen (3B)
  9. Ted Simmons (C)

Bench:
Mark Bellhorn (IF)
Lloyd Moseby (OF)
Darren Daulton (C)
Mark Grace (1B)
Terry Puhl (OF)

Rotation:
#1: Jack McDowell (R)
#2: Sandy Koufax (L)
#3: Pete Alexander (R)
#4: Cy Young (R)
#5: Jeff Tesreau (R)

Bullpen
Set-up: Stan Williams
Closer: Robb Nen
Mop-up: Kazuhiro Sasaki
Short Relief: Dan Plesac (L)
Short Relief: Dave Smith (R)
Middle Relief: Eri Yoshida
Long Relief: Burleigh Grimes

Minors
Vic Raschi (Pitcher)
Johnny Roseboro (Catcher)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

Double post.

:siren: 2nd Trade offer - Ted Sox: Sell me your first round pick in return for my pick from the goose eggs - Number 15 and my third round pick. Willie Mays still falls to you ahead of MrNoun, and I get a pitching upgrade.

how about your 2nd rounder?