Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pyrthas
Jan 22, 2007

Underflow posted:

Is it a full size hollow-body? After playing the 73 for a few days I'm thinking of replacing my ES-175, which has the dreaded sunken top problem, with the largest Ibanez available. I saw a 2nd-hand here recently that was almost Super 400 size.
Yup, full-size. I have an AF84E, a non-cutaway with a floating pickup, which is nice now because I only really play it acoustically any more. It's good for a $400 guitar. I mean, it sounds a little harsh and metallic compared to my Epiphone, but that's not a fair comparison.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Miguel
Oct 30, 2003

Deelon posted:

I actually have a pair of BX5A's I use for regular 'ol listening, but I have mixed with them, and the difference is night and day. The HS50's are extremely revealing. The BX5A's sound pretty good, but I found it hard to get mixes to translate, the low end especially. The HS50's aren't designed to sound good, they're designed to be accurate, and they are. Most people find them bright and fatiguing on the ear, which they are, but it seems to be just what is needed to get your mixes sounding good on pretty much everything. I'd say go for it, they're really good monitors.

Would you listen to music on the HS50's? My BX5A's always did double-duty for me in that regard. Do the EQ switches make a difference in this regard?

poxin
Nov 16, 2003

Why yes... I am full of stars!

El Miguel posted:

Would you listen to music on the HS50's? My BX5A's always did double-duty for me in that regard. Do the EQ switches make a difference in this regard?

What I normally end up doing is use them to mix and then when I want to chill and listen to music fire up something like Winamp and use a custom EQ setting inside that to dial it down a little bit. That way I'm not messing with any of the settings on the monitor itself when I want to go back and mix.

El Miguel
Oct 30, 2003

poxin posted:

What I normally end up doing is use them to mix and then when I want to chill and listen to music fire up something like Winamp and use a custom EQ setting inside that to dial it down a little bit. That way I'm not messing with any of the settings on the monitor itself when I want to go back and mix.

I never even thought of that. Good idea. Thanks!

Deelon
Sep 18, 2003

El Miguel posted:

I do. I don't find the need to mess around with any EQ settings either, things still sound good, but the guy above had a good idea with built-in EQ settings in winamp or foobar or whatever.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

I listen to music for pleasure on my A7s all the time. Studio monitors don't have to be harsh, they just have to be truthful. :)

niff
Jul 4, 2010
http://johnkvintageguitars.homestead.com/Sunn2x15cab.html

^purchased and shipped to me. pricey, but awesome.

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

niff posted:

http://johnkvintageguitars.homestead.com/Sunn2x15cab.html

^purchased and shipped to me. pricey, but awesome.

Nice pickup, Winston!

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Snooping as usual, I see.
A serious case of GAS. I saved up for this stuff for the past three months and finally started bidding on auctions and placing orders two weeks ago. The last of it arrived yesterday: MOTU FastLane MIDI interface & Roland SC-88 SoundCanvas (these two are hooked up to another computer for improving my piano playing), Roland SC-33 SoundCanvas, NI Komplete Audio 6 (for my laptop), Waldorf Blofeld (wish I'd known black ones were still available when I ordered mine!), MOTU 24I/O PCIe core system, Access Virus TI Desktop w/rack ear replacement.

JohnnySmitch
Oct 20, 2004

Don't touch me there - Noone has that right.
Just ordered one of these:

A Vox lil' Looper - I finally got fed up with my sketchy Akai looper, and I'm totally looking forward to playing around with the longer recording time and 2 independent loops with this one.

EDIT: fixed the table rape-age; sorry out that

JohnnySmitch fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Sep 14, 2012

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion
Octatrack

Excited.

amishbuttermaster
Apr 28, 2009
It's been a while since I've purchased any gear but here you go:

A Phonic 2-channel tube preamp (on top). Not anything terribly fancy but it was only $100 and I've been without a tube preamp for a while.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
There was a HUGE estate sale in my city yesterday and today. I went because the Kijiji ad showed a Gretsch Chet Atkins Tennessean among about a dozen other, mostly crappy guitars. I called the guy a few weeks ago and asked about the price, he said it would be about $1000, give or take a few hundred. So yesterday morning I took out $1000 in cash and showed up just before the doors were supposed to open.

The lineup was a block and a half long and it took me about 15 minutes until I got in, found the guitar, and saw that the headstock had been broken off and repaired with sheet metal. Disappointment. Then I overheard someone tell someone else about a cache of tubes in the garage. His response was "I'll go check them out in a few minutes, thanks!" So I said gently caress that noise and ran in there, found an ice cream bucket and another small container full of them, paid $20, went home. Then today I went and found a few more hidden in a container full of cheap broken microphones and audio wire. Now to catalogue them and see if any are useful.

I also picked up a Sony stereo reel-to-reel recorder, about 50 reels of 1/4" tape, a Hagstrom III because today was half price day and it still hadn't sold (which I don't have a picture of yet) and a vial of deadly liquid mercury which happened to be at the bottom of the bucket full of broken microphones and wires. I figured I'd do the world a favour and take it to the chemistry department of my university to let them deal with it, rather than let some idiot kid open it up and kill himself or have it be drained down the sink after the sale is over.

ANYWAY HERE ARE ALL THE TOOOBES I GOT FOR $20 :hellyeah:

Oh and a little pocket tube tester in the back there.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Daaaaaaaaaaaaamn, that's amazing. TUBES. I need a tube amp so bad.

I'm tempted to cannibalize the tiny tube amp from this sadly-seemingly-unsavable organ I've got and use the frame as a keyboard stand or something. Or, if I had tools and talent (I have neither), turn the mostly-decent manuals into a MIDI controller of some sort.

poxin
Nov 16, 2003

Why yes... I am full of stars!
Holy crap. I'm jealous :) What do you plan to do with them?

forever whatever
Sep 28, 2007

Hitting the wall.

JohnnySmitch posted:

A Vox lil' Looper - I finally got fed up with my sketchy Akai looper, and I'm totally looking forward to playing around with the longer recording time and 2 independent loops with this one.

You should post how this works out vs. the Akai. I assume you mean the Head Rush - I use it on my bass vi in the band i play in sometimes and the lead guitarist has one as well - aside from the fact that you can accidentally erase what you are doing very easily and that you can't save loops, I really like it for on-the-fly live looping...Akai as a company is wicked sketchy though; I tried to register the looper when I bought it with the card attached to the manual and it came back return to sender: wrong address. I emailed their support twice and never got a response. Oh well, aside from the aforementioned issues (and for taking a ridiculous amount of space up on a pedal board) I actually get quite a bit of decent use out of the thing.

But anyways, that Vox looks cool and I had never heard of it before. I'm sure it will be fun.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever

tehschulman posted:

Octatrack

Excited.

You should be :v:
Still haven't got my monomachine fixed but I miss the elektron UI

forever whatever posted:

Akai as a company is wicked sketchy though

Yeah they had some bad times in/around the release of the first gen. With some of the quality control problems on otherwise amazing products they've launched since the Numark acquisition, I'm not sure it's any better than it was.
Vox is Korg and they've been solid forever, imo, even during the Yamaha partial ownership days. They're making GBS threads gold now with their music/dj 'toys,' which are pretty solid for the price, or otherwise.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

poxin posted:

Holy crap. I'm jealous :) What do you plan to do with them?

Catalogue them, and if any are compatible with either my Ampeg VT22 or Legend Model A, I'll experiment with them until I find a tone I like and keep those ones. Then maybe filter the rest out to a few amp repair guys around town, or exchange the lot of them for amp servicing should I ever require it. That's assuming they're even valuable/useable. Won't know until I figure out what they are.

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

Nice haul! Looks like the bulk of your top three rows are probably radio and/or television tubes, which might not command a lot of money individually but would certainly add up all together. The bottom rows...holy poo poo. If even a quarter of those are useful you may have hit the jackpot.

Also, I kind of hate you for just randomly finding a Hagstrom III.

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL

Handen posted:

Catalogue them, and if any are compatible with either my Ampeg VT22 or Legend Model A, I'll experiment with them until I find a tone I like and keep those ones. Then maybe filter the rest out to a few amp repair guys around town, or exchange the lot of them for amp servicing should I ever require it. That's assuming they're even valuable/useable. Won't know until I figure out what they are.

What model is the tester? Do you know what kind of testing it can do? I've never seen such a little one, I wonder how they get a high-voltage supply. Is it just a filament tester?

Fish In Space
Mar 27, 2010

Deathy McDeath posted:

I finally have a reason to post in here! After taking lessons for a year and a half, and using a dinky rental cello, I saved up some money and bought my own. Its absolutely gorgeous and sounds great!

As someone who foolishly and shortsightedly sold her own 1920's German cello years ago, :doh: I am envious but really happy for you. Enjoy it!

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
edit: Whoa, double post. How the gently caress

XYZAB fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Sep 17, 2012

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

Acid Reflux posted:

Nice haul! Looks like the bulk of your top three rows are probably radio and/or television tubes, which might not command a lot of money individually but would certainly add up all together. The bottom rows...holy poo poo. If even a quarter of those are useful you may have hit the jackpot.

Also, I kind of hate you for just randomly finding a Hagstrom III.

Like I said, I went to the sale with the full intention of grabbing the '65 Gretsch worth ~$2500 for ~$1000. I didn't even notice the Hagstrom in the pictures, or if I did I thought it was a Teisco and thought nothing more of it. Then I went, found out the headstock had been torn off the Gretsch and fixed back on with sheet metal and they still wanted $1200 for it, I basically thought "WELP, gently caress." That's when I noticed the Hagstrom for $750, which was still a bit out of my price range. There was also a bass with the brand "Magenta" on the headstock for $500, which seemed a little too much; it looked like a 50's department store knockoff of something else.

That was the first day. The second day I went back to see if I missed any tubes, and found out everything was half price. The Hagstrom was still there, so I paid $375 for what is usually a $900 guitar. It had 12 or 13 gauge flatwounds on it and the neck has a bit of a bow because of it (could have been like that for the last 30 years for all I know) so I'm hoping the truss rod still works. And the switches need work, it seems like most of them either do nothing or turn the output off altogether. Someone saw me holding it and told me he tried it out but the electronics would have been too much for him to handle and said "Good luck, you're gonna need it, kid." I smiled politely and let him think I'm just some dumb noodlehead, not wanting to go off on a tangent about some of my other guitar projects.

It basically looks like this, except all of the switches are white and it's missing the trem arm:

And I have no idea what year it is, apparently Hagstrom has a weird serial numbering system, it's 699866 if anyone has any idea.

the wizards beard posted:

What model is the tester? Do you know what kind of testing it can do? I've never seen such a little one, I wonder how they get a high-voltage supply. Is it just a filament tester?

Morgan/Powell. Looks sort of like this with a few cosmetic differences:

I have no idea what it tests or what the two extra leads are meant for. I tried it out on a few tubes, the light in the middle turned on for some, and didn't for others. I have no idea what the light is supposed to signify.

XYZAB fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Sep 17, 2012

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?
Mustang day

anime guitar

420 Mustang erry day

Sadsack
Mar 5, 2009

Fighting evil with cups of tea and crippling self-doubt.

Carbohydrates posted:

Mustang day

anime guitar

420 Mustang erry day

Mustangs with competition stripes... :hawaaaafap:

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

There are two musicians named Beck whose names belong on a guitar, and yet this is refering to neither of them. Did you buy it from overseas or find it stateside?

XYZAB fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Sep 18, 2012

renderful
Mar 24, 2003

You'll love me, I promise.
Oddly enough, it looks like that BECK refers to: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beck_(manga)

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL

Handen posted:

I have no idea what it tests or what the two extra leads are meant for. I tried it out on a few tubes, the light in the middle turned on for some, and didn't for others. I have no idea what the light is supposed to signify.

It plugs into the mains? I doubt there's room in there for a transformer, that thing likely has no isolation from the wall. Seeing as there are no controls I would guess it just does filament testing and will tell you if a tubes heater filament is burnt out or not. I wouldn't use it, you could do the same test with a multimeter without risking electrocution.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

renderful posted:

Oddly enough, it looks like that BECK refers to: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beck_(manga)
Yup, hence the comment "anime guitar."

These are only sold in Japan and I actually had to import it. Aside from the BECK tie-in, it's just an amazing reissue of a '69 Mustang, much more accurate than any other I've seen, down to a pretty crazy level of detail: poplar body with the correct curves and bevels (more rounded and smoothed than other reissues including my red Mustang), correct neck and fretboard shape, side dot placement, 12th fret inlay spacing, era-correct white logo... the one misstep is the matched headstock, which covers a bit too much rosewood.

I didn't really buy it for vintage accuracy, though. I just wanted an orange Competition Mustang with the matching headstock, and this reissue cost me less than 1/5 what an original would!

Also, this was listed as "used" but it still has the protective film on the pickups and pickguard, and I can't find a scratch on it. Came with all the original goodies + gig bag, too.

EDIT:

Fender Japan also sells a VERY similar MG73, which is also a Competition Mustang with a matching headstock... in every color except orange, which has a plain maple head. So if you want Comp Orange + matched head, you gotta go anime guitar. Plus, the MG73 isn't nearly as vintage accurate, if that's a concern to you. Nooooo idea why they made the BECK one the super detailed vintage-correct one.

Carbohydrates fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Sep 18, 2012

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
I wont post pictures until everything has arrived\been built, but some decent pieces of my studio arrived today :). I know I'm meant to post pictures (Which as I said, I will when all is done) but I just want to brag :P

My Focusrite ISA One has arrived today. Big beefy fucker. Will sit on top of my M-Audio BX8 quite nicely for now. It's got so many knobs and lights and flashy things that I cant wait to give it a good solid thrashing :)

Also, my MXR Phase 90 script arrived today. GodDAMN that's a nice phaser pedal. I've "downgraded" from a Red Witch Phaser and y'know what? I actually like the Phase 90 more. It's warmer, it doesn't distort as easily, it's clearer, smaller and only has one knob.

Sometimes, a classic gets it right the first time.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

renderful posted:

I hear the Axe FX2 is godly, via MuffWiggler. Is it uber-flexible in terms of effects chaining and customization?

Yup, it's incredible. Just make sure you use Axe-Edit instead of trying to do everything in the box or you'll go crosseyed.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
My new baby, the Ibanez RG471AH Natural Finish.

It's like the Ibanez version of my hard-tail Strat Style that I built in 1992:

Southern Ash body, Wizard III neck (same specs as my JEM, without the scallops), bound rosewood fretboard with sharkstooth inlays, 24 frets, all-access neck joint, Gibraltar hard-tail, string-thru-body.

I bought the guitar, some straplocks and a cheap gig bag, and a set of DiMarzio EJ Custom humbuckers and a pair of F-Spaced nickel covers, plus push-pull pots so I can do my usual series/parallel switching on the humbuckers. I plan to put a True Velvet in the middle soon, but have no idea what to do to make it look nice with the nickel-covered humbuckers. Any ideas? Black/White/Cream or something else? I have tried some painting options but they are kinda underwhelming:

Then I got to work:

And the various covers that I experimented with painting. None of them fit the stock pickup. The short ones should fit the True Velvet (I know now) but I'm open to suggestions. I couldn't find a plating shop in this area willing to plate a plastic part. There's a guy in Hawaii who does it, but they won't fit DiMarzio singles. Hrm...

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
You want something like this, then?
http://www.amazon.com/SINGLE-COIL-PICKUP-COVER-CHROME/dp/B0006ZRN90

If yes, I can probably find something, I think

edit: http://www.warmoth.com/Stratreg-Pickup-Cover-Chrome-P859.aspx

You can buy them singularly here, if they fit your dimensions.

muike fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Sep 19, 2012

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
Yesterday I learned that I'm an rear end man after all.

Goes great together with my Boss VF-1, that I may remove from the aux lines of my mixer and dedicate towards this bass, which is a major frankenstein, far better off and more playable than that frankentele from years past. Holly is just the name on the neck, the body appears to have been given a professional paintjob over a former shell of red, and that guard doesn't belong there from the start.

And I wonder if that string guide actually needs to be on, the former owner uses seven other basses with all kinds of different tunings so a loose fitting one made sense for him but I couldn't get the third to D without it popping out of its (maybe not deep enough for a not long enough screw) socket. It's a challenge to play with fibrositis :v:

And today I relaxed in the sun with a Roland JX-1, picked up in another neighbouring city.

Kinda ugly in chassis design but once home I quickly found it hid a beauty inside, many D50/D550 patches and the wonderful Fantasia.

I hit the second-hand shop on my way back and found a loose pickguard with two pots and mics from what seems to be a generic starter Strat for approximately 76 cents, too. (bass €50, jx1 €50)

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

muike posted:

You want something like this, then?
http://www.amazon.com/SINGLE-COIL-PICKUP-COVER-CHROME/dp/B0006ZRN90

If yes, I can probably find something, I think

edit: http://www.warmoth.com/Stratreg-Pickup-Cover-Chrome-P859.aspx

You can buy them singularly here, if they fit your dimensions.

gently caress YES that is EXACTLY what I am looking for. I need it to fit DiMarzio replacement pickups, though. If you want me to I'll call DiMarzio and get the pole-piece spacing for the pickup I want:

http://www.dimarzio.com/pickups/strat/standard-strat/true-velvet-middle

I have noticed that some pickups are spaced differently than others.

Spoke to DiMarzio:
Pole piece spacing center-to-center on the True Velvet = .402" = 10.2108mm
Outside pole pieces center-to-center spacing = 2.01" = 51.054mm

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Sep 19, 2012

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
It won't be a perfect fit, I think those are meant for Duncans, but it should work. I'm not sure. I'll fire off an email to Warmoth and see what they say.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

muike posted:

It won't be a perfect fit, I think those are meant for Duncans, but it should work. I'm not sure. I'll fire off an email to Warmoth and see what they say.
This should be accurate:

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
It's not the DiMarzio diagram that's giving me trouble, but Duncan's, it's not very helpful for pole piece spacing.

e: warmoth just got back to me and said it's good to go as long as the pole pieces are sized vintage(normal) and I'm pretty sure the true velvet is vintage as heck

muike fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Sep 19, 2012

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

muike posted:

It's not the DiMarzio diagram that's giving me trouble, but Duncan's, it's not very helpful for pole piece spacing.

e: warmoth just got back to me and said it's good to go as long as the pole pieces are sized vintage(normal) and I'm pretty sure the true velvet is vintage as heck
It is. But the minimum order is $25 and I don't need $25 worth of stuff. Sigh. I'll talk to the stores on Amazon, I should be ok.
I'll be back with pictures once the instrument is finished. Thanks for your help!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
No problem. The chrome won't match the nickel covers perfectly, but eh, the difference won't be that noticeable, especially after some playtime, especially especially if you let your instruments get as dirty as I do.