Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

FitFortDanga posted:

For those who don't read the Criterion thread, these are the December releases:

Brazil

Goddamn it. Finally!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah Brazil and Koyaanisqatsi are must haves for me. Now to find a good place to import from now Axel is sadly no more.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
So we're getting a Tarantino blu-ray set:
http://www.slashfilm.com/quentin-tarantinos-career-celebrated-in-8-disc-blu-ray-set-cover-art-by-mondo-artist-ken-taylor/

quote:

Celebrating Quentin Tarantino’s legendary filmmaking, Lionsgate and Miramax are proud to present the Tarantino XX: 8-Film Collection, arriving on Blu-ray Disc November 20th.

Tarantino XX contains eight films chosen by Tarantino to illustrate the first 20 years of his career, featuring the films that helped define his early success, including Reservoir Dogs, True Romance, Pulp Fiction, Jackie Brown, Kill Bill Vol. 1, Kill Bill Vol. 2, Death Proof and Inglourious Basterds. To complete the stunning high definition 10-disc set, the Tarantino XX: 8-Film Collection also features two discs with five hours of all-new bonus material, highlighted by a critics’ retrospective on Tarantino’s groundbreaking catalog of films and “20 Years of Filmmaking” that contains interviews with critics, stars and other masters of cinema.

Tarantino XX: 8-Film Collection showcases one of the most innovative filmmakers of our time and is a must-have for serious film fans, as Tarantino’s highly-anticipated new film, Django Unchained, prepares to hit theaters. Honoring the 20th anniversary of Reservoir Dogs – the cultural milestone that brought Tarantino to the forefront as a cinematic legend – the collection is highlighted by recurring appearances from celebrated actors including Uma Thurman (Pulp Fiction, Kill Bill), Samuel L. Jackson (Pulp Fiction, Jackie Brown, Kill Bill), Tim Roth (Reservoir Dogs, Pulp Fiction) and Steve Buscemi (Reservoir Dogs, Pulp Fiction), and also includes starring performances from iconic actors such as Brad Pitt (Inglourious Basterds), Pam Grier (Jackie Brown) and Robert Forster (Jackie Brown).

Tarantino XX on Blu-ray also features striking, original artwork designed and illustrated by MONDO (https://www.mondotees.com). Housed in collectible packaging, the Tarantino XX: 8-Film Collection will be available for the suggested retail price of $119.99.

CONTENTS SUMMARY

BLU-RAY SPECIAL FEATURES – 2 Discs*
* Critics Corner: The Films of Quentin Tarantino – In-depth critics’ discussion piece exploring Tarantino’s films that redefined cinema and the impact of one of the most influential writers/directors of our time.
* 20 Years of Filmmaking – Take a look at Tarantino’s career from the beginning, with interviews from co-workers, critics, stars and master filmmakers alike as well as a tribute to his greatest collaborator, Sally Menke.

RESERVOIR DOGS
Quentin Tarantino’s directorial debut, nominated for the Grand Jury Prize at the Sundance Film Festival (1992) and awarded the International Critics Award at the Toronto International Film Festival (1992), is raw, violent and unforgettable. Four perfect strangers are assembled to pull off the perfect crime, but when a botched robbery reveals a police informant among them, their simple robbery explodes into a bloody ambush.

Blu-ray Special Features*
* Pulp Factoids Viewer
* Playing It Fast and Loose
* Profiling the Reservoir Dogs

TRUE ROMANCE – DIRECTOR’S CUT
Runaway lovers Clarence and Alabama (Christian Slater and Patricia Arquette) play a dangerous game with a stolen suitcase containing $5 million worth of cocaine. They head for Los Angeles, where they’ll sell the goods and begin a new life, but both sides of the law have other ideas. This dark comic web of crime, murder and mayhem from writer Quentin Tarantino and director Tony Scott (Top Gun, Spy Game), features an ensemble cast including Dennis Hopper, Val Kilmer, Gary Oldman, Brad Pitt, James Gandolfini and Christopher Walken.

* Audio commentary by Christian Slater and Patricia Arquette
* Audio commentary by Tony Scott
* Audio commentary by Quentin Tarantino
* Scene selective commentaries by Val Kilmer, Dennis Hopper, Brad Pitt and Michael Rapaport
* Deleted/Extended Scenes with Optional Director Commentary
* Alternate Ending with Optional Director and Writer Commentary
* Original 1993 Mini-feature
* Behind-the-Scenes Interactive Feature
* Animated Photo Gallery
* Theatrical Trailer

PULP FICTION
Pulp Fiction has been hailed by critics and audiences worldwide as a film that redefined cinema. A burger-loving hit man (John Travolta), his philosophical partner (Samuel L. Jackson), a drug-addled gangster’s moll (Uma Thurman) and a washed-up boxer (Bruce Willis) converge in four tales of violence and redemption. The film was honored with an Academy Award® for Best Original Screenplay (1994) and earned seven total nominations, including Best Picture and Best Director. It has also been listed as one of the best films of all-time by Time and Entertainment Weekly.

* Interviews with Cast
* Critics’ Retrospective on the Movie’s Place in Film History
* Behind-the-Scenes Footage
* Pulp Fiction: The Facts
* Production Design Feature
* Siskel & Ebert At the Movies – The Tarantino Generation
* Independent Spirit Awards Footage
* Cannes Film Festival Footage
* Charlie Rose – Tarantino Interview
* Stills Galleries
* Trivia Track
* Deleted Scenes

JACKIE BROWN
Quentin Tarantino’s acclaimed adaptation of Elmore Leonard’s Rum Punch follows a cash-smuggling flight attendant (Pam Grier) who is busted by an ATF agent (Michael Keaton) and a cop (Michael Bowen). When pressured to help with their investigation, she agrees to do one last run for a ruthless arms dealer (Samuel L. Jackson). Mistrust and suspicions arise when Jackie plays the opposing forces against each other in an effort to walk away with the dough. Robert Forster earned a Best Supporting Actor Oscar® nomination for his role as Max Cherry, a bail bondsman who falls for Jackie and becomes embroiled in the scheme.

* Breaking Down Jackie Brown
* Jackie Brown: How It Went Down – Retrospective Interviews with Cast and Crew
* A Look Back at Jackie Brown – Interview with Quentin Tarantino
* Chicks with Guns Video
* Siskel & Ebert At the Movies – Jackie Brown Review
* Jackie Brown on MTV
* Marketing Gallery
* Stills Galleries
* Trivia Track
* Deleted and Alternate Scenes

KILL BILL VOL. 1
In the first volume of this gritty revenge saga, an assassin (Uma Thurman) is shot at the altar by her ruthless employer, Bill (David Carradine), and other members of his Deadly Vipers Assassination Squad. In this epic tale of survival The Bride sets out to bring justice to all those who wronged her, including a reformed suburban mother (Vivica A. Fox) and the Japanese Yakuza crime-lord (Lucy Liu).

* The Making of Kill Bill Vol. 1
* The 5.6.7.8′s Bonus Musical Performances
* Tarantino Trailers

KILL BILL VOL. 2
The murderous Bride (Uma Thurman) mercilessly continues her vengeance quest against her ex-boss, Bill (David Carradine), and his two remaining associates: Bill’s degenerate younger brother (Michael Madsen) and a vicious one-eyed swordswoman (Daryl Hannah).

* The Making of Kill Bill Vol. 2
* Damoe Deleted Scene
* Chingon Musical Performance

DEATH PROOF
Kurt Russell stars as a tough-talking, psychotic serial murderer who transforms his stunt car into an indestructible killing machine, then climbs behind the wheel to stalk and terrorize a group of women on the road. What he doesn’t realize is that he’s picked the wrong babes to mess with.

* Stunts on Wheels: The Legendary Drivers of Death Proof
* Introducing Zoe Bell
* Kurt Russell as Stuntman Mike
* The Uncut Version of Baby, It’s You performed by Mary Elizabeth Winstead
* The Guys of Death Proof
* Quentin’s Greatest Collaborator: Editor Sally Menke
* Double Dare Trailer
* Death Proof International Trailer
* An International Poster Gallery
* BD Live

INGLOURIOUS BASTERDS
A Jewish cinema owner in Nazi-occupied Paris is forced to host a movie premiere for the Third Reich, where a radical group of American soldiers, The Basterds, led by Lt. Aldo Raine (Brad Pitt), plan to roll out a score-settling scheme. The film was honored with an Academy Award® for Best Performance by an Actor in a Supporting Role (2009, Christoph Waltz) and earned seven total nominations, including Best Motion Picture of the Year for Lawrence Bender and Best Writing, Original Screenplay for Quentin Tarantino.

* Extended and Alternate Scenes
* Roundtable Discussion with Quentin Tarantino, Brad Pitt and Elvis Mitchell
* The Making of Nation’s Pride
* A Conversation with Rod Taylor
* Nation’s Pride – the film within the film
* The Original Inglorious Bastards
* Quentin Tarantino’s Camera Angel
* Film Poster Gallery Tour
* Rod Taylor on Victoria Bitter
* Hi Sallys
* Killin’ Nazis Trivia Challenge
* Trailers

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
Yes, let's re-release a bunch of discs that already exist with good transfers (except True Romance which could use a new one) and never ever put out Kill Bill: The Whole Bloody Affair ever.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

For someone who doesn't own any Tarantino Blurays yet this looks fantastic, but Django Unchained is going to ruin it! drat OCD.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

It's already up on Amazon for preorder but, to be honest, you'd be better buying them all right now, subbing out Death Proof with Grindhouse and it would only cost an extra $16.78 for everything.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

quote:

Tarantino XX contains eight films chosen by Tarantino to illustrate the first 20 years of his career

Jeez, I don't know if I would have been able to pare down his filmography to just those eight.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

RichterIX posted:

Yes, let's re-release a bunch of discs that already exist with good transfers (except True Romance which could use a new one) and never ever put out Kill Bill: The Whole Bloody Affair ever.

You read my mind.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

morestuff posted:

Jeez, I don't know if I would have been able to pare down his filmography to just those eight.

Haha, yeah what the hell?

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I regularly see his movies on BD in stores for 8-10 bucks each. But these all come in a fancy box. So I guess that's nice.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

CPL593H posted:

I regularly see his movies on BD in stores for 8-10 bucks each. But these all come in a fancy box. So I guess that's nice.

The new extra features do legitimately sound pretty interesting, but I'll wait until I see a review.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Kino announced a few today, too...

The Blue Angel (1930, Josef Von Sternberg) - Dec. 4
Ultimate Keaton Collection - Dec. 11

The Keaton set has all their releases so far including the two short film sets, plus College, which will be released on its own next year. No specs on The Blue Angel, But I would assume both the German and English versions will be included.

Also, Fox is fully releasing The Big Trail and The Barbarian and the Geisha in November, along with the remastered Patton and new release of Von Ryan's Express. The Big Trail was a Walmart only release initially. Really neat for having both the 65mm and 35mm versions in 1080p, especially for it being one of the only widescreen per-1950s films.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

morestuff posted:

The new extra features do legitimately sound pretty interesting, but I'll wait until I see a review.

Truth be told I rarely give a poo poo about special features.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
The only special features I really like are commentary tracks. I will sometimes buy a movie I'm not that interested in just to listen to the commentary.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

bowmore posted:

The only special features I really like are commentary tracks. I will sometimes buy a movie I'm not that interested in just to listen to the commentary.

Ever get to the point where you end up watching the movie with commentary more than without?

QVT
Jul 22, 2007

standing at the punch table swallowing punch
Commentary tracks are a great way to get me to buy a film rather than just rent it. It turns (provided I have the time) one viewing into three: first watch, with commentary, and after without. It's not quite three different movies, but it makes it feel much more worth it. Although there are some seriously bad commentaries out there.

I also love when they put early works by the director on the disc rather than just "making of" etc. Criterion is great about doing this for Kiarostami.

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

The pHo posted:

This happens all the time sadly, the Community DVDs have the wrong cuts for some of the episodes (they used the syndicated versions by mistake)

What? Really? :(

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Useless Rabbit posted:

And who has the memory for really specific color and contrast differences,

I tend to remember what colour the Nazi flag is.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Dan Didio posted:

I tend to remember what colour the Nazi flag is.

You know who else remembered what color the Nazi flag was? :godwin:

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Max22 posted:

What? Really? :(

Yeah, the only example I can think of is the Professor Ian Duncan gag about an 8 being a British 10 is missing from the episode where Annie joins his study.

friendo55
Jun 28, 2008

QVT posted:

I also love when they put early works by the director on the disc rather than just "making of" etc. Criterion is great about doing this for Kiarostami.

I bought the Artificial Eye bluray release of Certified Copy long before Criterion released theirs. I thought about double dipping simply for that bonus film 'The Report'. I'm debating whether it'd be worth doing come the November B&N sale. Is this the "early work" that you're referring to? (It's also a shame their cover art is so bland compared to the AE release.)

friendo55 fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Sep 18, 2012

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

CPL593H posted:

I just don't get the idea of repetition in the industry. If you want the format to completely push DVDs out of the picture and take over, you need to have a better catalog out there. Instead of re-releasing stuff that's already available in fancy collections or combos, give us more of what's not out there.

But maybe I'm just bitter that Barton Fink isn't on Blu-Ray as a region 1 standalone yet.

Or Harry and The Hendersons.

QVT
Jul 22, 2007

standing at the punch table swallowing punch

friendo55 posted:

I bought the Artificial Eye bluray release of Certified Copy long before Criterion released theirs. I thought about double dipping simply for that bonus film 'The Report'. I'm debating whether it'd be worth doing come the November B&N sale. Is this the "early work" that you're referring to? (It's also a shame their cover art is so bland compared to the AE release.)

Yeah, and lots of people like Report better than CC. Is report not on Hulu? You can always get a two week trial or something if you wanna watch and see if it's worth owning?

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...

Red posted:

I just don't get the idea of repetition in the industry.
Because it's easy as hell to get nerds to pay for repackaged movies they already own in multiple other versions so why wouldn't you? I can't wait for the Star Wars box set to spend months on the sales charts again when they re-release them with the 3D conversions.

I agree with you, though. People are talking about Sorcerer in another thread which got me in the mood, only to discover that it's still only available in pan-and-scan DVD in this region.

friendo55
Jun 28, 2008

QVT posted:

Yeah, and lots of people like Report better than CC. Is report not on Hulu? You can always get a two week trial or something if you wanna watch and see if it's worth owning?

I can't check Hulu's site at work, but I believe it's only available in the US? Canadians aren't so fortunate. I do appreciate the recommendation for The Report though, and will look into picking it up come the B&N sale.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

kuddles posted:

Because it's easy as hell to get nerds to pay for repackaged movies they already own in multiple other versions so why wouldn't you? I can't wait for the Star Wars box set to spend months on the sales charts again when they re-release them with the 3D conversions.

I agree with you, though. People are talking about Sorcerer in another thread which got me in the mood, only to discover that it's still only available in pan-and-scan DVD in this region.

According to his Twitter, Friedkin has been hard at work at restoring it (read: not butchering it like French Connection) with the original cinematographer and has had a screening of it at a Festival in the beginning of September.

Apparently there's some rights issues that need to be worked out but gently caress yeah can't wait :dance:

Man, there are many overlooked films that I'd love to have on Bluray and that's one of the big ones. Also, Ravenous. I watched that one again on dvd yesterday and the image quality is terrible.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Where is my loving Blacula blu-ray? I'll gladly live in a world without a bunch of stupid boxsets for Blacula.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

CPL593H posted:

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Where is my loving Blacula blu-ray? I'll gladly live in a world without a bunch of stupid boxsets for Blacula.

MGM is broke as gently caress. They are just getting around to the James Bond movies so it's going to be a long time before we finally get a Soul Cinema boxset :(

That said, they did play it on MGM HD so a HD master does exist.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Sporadic posted:

MGM is broke as gently caress. They are just getting around to the James Bond movies so it's going to be a long time before we finally get a Soul Cinema boxset :(

That said, they did play it on MGM HD so a HD master does exist.

I knew there was an actual HD master. This is why it bothers me so much. I'd like to also have the sequel on blu-ray but that's far too much to hope for.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

CPL593H posted:

I knew there was an actual HD master. This is why it bothers me so much. I'd like to also have the sequel on blu-ray but that's far too much to hope for.

I assume most studios won't get around to putting out their catalogues on Blu-Ray before the format is dead.

Stream, Blacula, Stream.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Are there any reviews of the Indy Blu-Ray packaging?

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
edit- I can't read.

GonSmithe fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Sep 19, 2012

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Red posted:

Mine came in the mail today. I guess it'll depend on how you feel about book-style packaging, but it feels sturdy and looks nice.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Does anybody know what the value of the American digibook release of Battle Royale is? I've been thinking about sell mine.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

morestuff posted:

Mine came in the mail today. I guess it'll depend on how you feel about book-style packaging, but it feels sturdy and looks nice.

I'm just concerned that the discs may not slide in and out easily/smoothly.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Sporadic posted:

Does anybody know what the value of the American digibook release of Battle Royale is? I've been thinking about sell mine.

Is that the old limited edition release from a while back? Because I think the Anchor Bay release destroyed the value of those. Especially as it's a superior transfer. Pretty much anytime a video is reissued the old out of print copies become worthless unless they're better quality.

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

Red posted:

My buddy bought it and he says it is very similar to the Alien anthology package or the Avatar super duper edition.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

Red posted:

They don't.

The (new?) On the Set Of Raiders documentary is great!

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Red posted:

They take a little bit of a tug, but nothing too bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red
Apr 15, 2003

ApexAftermath posted:

My buddy bought it and he says it is very similar to the Alien anthology package or the Avatar super duper edition.

Thaaaat's what I was worried about. It seems like the discs would get scratched.

• Locked thread