Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dpidz0r
Jul 29, 2012
The miata I bought nearly a month ago is rapidly becoming a quagmire of registration and smog nightmares. After much misdirection and confusion I found out that there's a recall on the cars computer due to some california specific thing. I took it to the dealer and what was supposed to be a 2 hour job ended up taking 3 days while they decided they'd take care of a fog light recall as well.

I took it back to the smog place and it passed everything except the computer self check, smog people told me it's because the computer needed time to adjust to the engine and I just needed to drive it a bit more, which I assumed was plausible because I'd only gone about 20 miles from the dealer to the smog shop. I drove it for a tank of gas, noticed the check engine light was on but assumed it's because I didn't tighten the fuel cap enough or something. Took it back to the smog place for the 3rd time, they looked at the check engine light and it's apparently reporting an error code for "fuel system too rich".

I did some googling and apparently it could be any number of expensive looking sensors. The previous owner noted in back of the manual that an O2 sensor had been replaced recently, so now I'm wondering if it's some other problem that's been lurking and was misdiagnosed before. Has anyone else seen a problem like this before?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

What's the actual OBDII code? If they didn't tell you, go by Autozone and have them pull it.

If it is an O2 sensor, those are cheap and easy to replace.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Welp as much fun as I've had in the Miata I'm lusting after "practicality" for some reason and just threw her up on Craigslist. I'm asking 9 grand which I think is way too much for a 2003 with obvious (though only aesthetic) problems but I'm in no hurry to sell. Miata prices are unusual anyway and I don't get them. I'll let you know how it goes.

I can't wait for the inevitable "I'll trade you this 1997 Caviliar and this dope bicycle frame me'n'muhbuddy painted up. Check that out. Oh mean it only has a front wheel though." Really though I'll consider an offer of 7,500-8k; 9g is just a pipe dream. Miata time in this part of the country is really starting to wind down.

http://fortsmith.craigslist.org/cto/3277010960.html
Yeah yeah "Zoom Zoom" is played but I think I got just about everything in the ad.

Bonus: If anyone around here wants a GM shitbox to play around with/maybe get running:

http://fortsmith.craigslist.org/cto/3276987458.html

Previa_fun fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Sep 17, 2012

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Well I've already seemed to have snagged my first scammer, so that's something...

What do you guys think? Is 7.5-9K a fair price for a 2003NB with maintenace records and 111,000 miles? I know a lot of it depends on the season (it's about to get cold :() etc.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Previa_fun posted:

Well I've already seemed to have snagged my first scammer, so that's something...

What do you guys think? Is 7.5-9K a fair price for a 2003NB with maintenace records and 111,000 miles? I know a lot of it depends on the season (it's about to get cold :() etc.

I think that's a really high price, especially if the timing belt is factory. It's not a loaded car, and it sounds like the top might not be repairable. If I were you I'd aim for $6-7.5k, but best of luck selling it for more.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Weinertron posted:

I think that's a really high price, especially if the timing belt is factory. It's not a loaded car, and it sounds like the top might not be repairable. If I were you I'd aim for $6-7.5k, but best of luck selling it for more.

This is what I was afraid of. If I don't get enough non-scammer responses in a couple of weeks I'll re-list at 7.5 and go from there.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
I want to (cheaply) experiment with some shifter extenders (bent or straight) and a new ball (or close to it) knob.

Anyone have any recommendations?

This looks fun: http://forum.miata.net/vb/showpost.php?p=4790584&postcount=31

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
As pointless as it is, I would love to read one INTERNET JUSTICE story where he has a friend near wherever the Craigslist scammer actually lives and the scammer gets arrested/humiliated/the poo poo beat out of him. It's one thing that they're cockroaches but they're such a goddamned waste of time to have to wade through to do any business

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

GD_American posted:

As pointless as it is, I would love to read one INTERNET JUSTICE story where he has a friend near wherever the Craigslist scammer actually lives and the scammer gets arrested/humiliated/the poo poo beat out of him. It's one thing that they're cockroaches but they're such a goddamned waste of time to have to wade through to do any business

I tried this when someone tried to sell me a car that was for some reason 2,000 miles away from where they listed the ad. They just stop responding as soon as you say you'll have someone look at it there.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

craig588 posted:

I tried this when someone tried to sell me a car that was for some reason 2,000 miles away from where they listed the ad. They just stop responding as soon as you say you'll have someone look at it there.

Yep.

Had a car in Billings, MT, and said "Give me the address, I'll have a relative look at it by proxy." No more response, and 3 hours later, was flagged.

Hope Montana gets more than 10 computers at some point. :ohdear:

dpidz0r
Jul 29, 2012

IOwnCalculus posted:

What's the actual OBDII code? If they didn't tell you, go by Autozone and have them pull it.

If it is an O2 sensor, those are cheap and easy to replace.
I think I saw 0175 when I looked at the scanner in the guys hand, but it could have been 0172 due to me reading it upside down. Both of those are the same error but different sides of the engine if I'm understanding google correctly. However, the light actually turned off while I was on my way to autozone, so I diverted to the smog center again and it seems to have passed everything this time.

Here's the best part though:

Test results before screwing around with the computer:

Test results after screwing around with the computer:

So assuming I'm reading those results right (and I'm dumb so maybe I'm not), the state of California now gets to have a car that pollutes more that it previously did all thanks to them mandating that I needlessly change stuff :rolleyes:

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

dpidz0r posted:

...the state of California now gets to have a car that pollutes more that it previously did all thanks to them mandating that I needlessly change stuff :rolleyes:

Welcome to CARB. Hope you have a few thousand :10bux:

Joe Mama
May 10, 2008
As long as it passes, don't waste brain cells trying to figure cali out. And for what it's worth; when I bought mine it looked like your second one and the smog I just did looks like your first one, so it can vary quite a bit normally anyway.

azzenco
Jan 16, 2004

Slippery Tilde
Anybody mind sharing some Craiglist searching tips? Currently I just have "miata - automatic" and search the title/body of the post. Wondering if you guys have any other key words I can't think of. I just started looking a few weeks ago on Craiglist and I'm tired of $1 cars or some random car with every model car ever made.

I traded my '06 in for a Tundra and rue it to this day :(

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

dpidz0r: For what it's worth, the new ECM is probably still fine-tuning its long-term fuel trims, those take some time to get to where they should be. But yes, CA has decided your more-polluting car is better than your less-polluting car.

azzenco: Why do anything other than just search "miata", "mx5", or "mx-5" in the subject only? Craigslist sucks rear end for trying to exclude cars (i.e. automatics) so just grab the whole list and sift through it yourself. You'll have less crap than when you include post bodies and get every fuckwit who lists their Accord with VTEC ALTEZZA CIVIC SI TYPE R GTI MIATA F150 H2 DUBZ in the description.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
How much more over typical miata pricing would you pay for a supercharged car? There is a 97 with a BRP charger near me for 7950, which is more than I think it's worth, with 73k on it and it looks pretty clean body wise. Around here that would probably fetch 5k no problem without the SC

I think I would do 7 but I don't know if they would budge that far.

Nodoze fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Sep 19, 2012

Flesh Croissant
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
If its done well i would give them a third of what the parts cost. Just because i worry about aftermarket forced induction cars because theres always the chance you're just picking up someones failed project. People who cant get it running right, throw on a bandaid solution that works just long enough for a test drive and cut their losses.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
Does anyone have any experience with regular parking outside with a soft-top? My dad is convinced that the Australia summer sun is going to destroy it. Should I get a cover or something? It's an '02 NB if that matters.

Mezmerized Machine
Dec 29, 2008
My 96 has a cheap vinyl top and has been parked outside for a year now and I've seen no trouble at all, yet. It's seen below freezing and +100ºF, as well as rain, hail, and branches falling on it, but it's A-ok

Flesh Croissant
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
If you're that concerned get something called "Aerospace protectant". It smells just like a sweaty goon who needs a shower, and is stupid expensive, but it works really well on anything you're worried might become sun-damaged.

Comes in an aerosol can without a bunch of flashy marketing on its label. Also good for leather seats and dashes.

edit: I live in south florida and park a NA outside.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
Maguires also makes a vinyl product that is good for tops.

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

My 99 broke down for the first time in my 3 years of ownership. Parked it this morning, came back to leave work and it would crank but no start. Got the RACQ guy out and he checked the spark, then we tried to find the fuel pump. He ended up hitting the front wall of the boot (fuel tank?) and it started right up. He said he's never heard of MX5s having fuel pumps die like that. Which I guess means a replacement is going to be expensive if its a rare occurrence :(

Edit: Managed to find one for $60 on ebay.

Granite Octopus fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Sep 26, 2012

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Has anyone heard of these Power Stop brake kits that are sold by Rockauto?

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=3803322

I know cross drilled rotors are a bit overkill and prone to cracking, but $128 seems like a decent deal for two front rotors and ceramic pads.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

mattdizzleZ28 posted:

If you're that concerned get something called "Aerospace protectant". It smells just like a sweaty goon who needs a shower, and is stupid expensive, but it works really well on anything you're worried might become sun-damaged.

Comes in an aerosol can without a bunch of flashy marketing on its label. Also good for leather seats and dashes.

edit: I live in south florida and park a NA outside.

So you have no problems without the protector?

rhombus
Apr 20, 2002

leica posted:

I know cross drilled rotors are a bit overkill and prone to cracking, but $128 seems like a decent deal for two front rotors and ceramic pads.

That's what I thought. I picked up a full set but haven't found time to get them installed recently. There is very little cross drilling on them, though.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Cool, report back with the results when you get them installed. I searched Mnet and there's nothing at all about them so it must be a new thing for Miatas, a google search turned up excellent reviews on autoanything.com whatever that is. Haven't seen anything negative as of yet.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc
I manged to bump a truck on an off ramp and cracked my NA's bumper cover. I'm not really broken up about it because the PO had already messed it up a bit and I was planning on replacing it eventually anyways. Anyone know where to order a bumper cover online that doesn't charge $200 shipping? or should I just stick to my original plan of trolling craigslist for one.

8th-snype fucked around with this message at 10:20 on Sep 28, 2012

Flesh Croissant
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

8th-samurai posted:

I manged to bump a truck on an off ramp and cracked my NA's bumper cover. I'm not really broken up about it because the PO had already messed it up a bit and I was planning on replacing it eventually anyways. Anyone know where to order a bumper cover online that doesn't charge $200 shipping? or should I just stick to my original plan of trolling craigslist for one.

Do you need one right now? Anything shipped to you will be ludicris just because of its size, and the size of the stuff they need to stop folding over and cracking in transit. Craigslist is a good option, but if it was me i would call up local wrecking yards and ask them if they have a miata. (Sometimes they keep track of the cars they have, sometimes they dont) If you have to bite the bullet and pay shipping, check out racing beat's options for a front nose, i think they look nice.

(My philosophy has always been "Every mechanical failure is an opportunity for modification")

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE

leica posted:

http://www.knsbrakes.com/carSeriesDetails.php?car_id=525&series=Hawk%20Performance%20Ceramic - $78 for front pads

http://www.knsbrakes.com/carSeriesDetails.php?car_id=525&series=Centric%20C-Tek%20Standard%20Brake%20Rotor%20-%20Single%20Rotor - $38.90 for rotors. These can be had from Rock Auto for ~10ea.

A touch cheaper and name brand parts. I'm sure you could save a ton on the pads if you didn't want fancy ones. Rotors for a Miata should be ddddiiirrrttt cheap.

(Unless you have NB sport brakes or 1.6L brakes. Those are for a NA8.)

FatCow fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Sep 28, 2012

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

According to Rockauto, those are "economy" rotors. It says they are up to OEM standards so I'm assuming "economy" means cheaper, but not cheaply made? What are the best pads that Rockauto offers? I'd love the Hawk pads but don't think I can afford it now.....It looks like I'm going to have to go the cheaper route because I don't have the money to splurge. I need to replace the front brakes, possibly the rears, replace the cluth master and slave, get some superblue fluid and speed bleeders for each caliper and clutch slave. And that's just the beginning for now but is first on the list.

Also I think my timing is hosed up because of my random detonation issue, so I gotta pick up a timing light.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

The reason you can't afford good pads is because you're putting money in other things you don't need like speed bleeders. :) Just get rockauto or parts store rotors and decent pads.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
Many, many people use those exact rotors on their track cars. I have ~15 track weekends on a pair of them now and they still look great except for a bit of surface cracking.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

DreamOn13 posted:

The reason you can't afford good pads is because you're putting money in other things you don't need like speed bleeders. :) Just get rockauto or parts store rotors and decent pads.

Speed bleeders are cheap and will make flushing fluid/bleeding ten times easier now and in the future...And I already said I'm buying from rockauto, pay attention ;)

FatCow posted:

Many, many people use those exact rotors on their track cars. I have ~15 track weekends on a pair of them now and they still look great except for a bit of surface cracking.

Thank you, this is the kind of imformation I was looking for. What type of pads are typically used with them, ceramic/metallic/semi-metallic?

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

mattdizzleZ28 posted:

Do you need one right now? Anything shipped to you will be ludicris just because of its size, and the size of the stuff they need to stop folding over and cracking in transit. Craigslist is a good option, but if it was me i would call up local wrecking yards and ask them if they have a miata. (Sometimes they keep track of the cars they have, sometimes they dont) If you have to bite the bullet and pay shipping, check out racing beat's options for a front nose, i think they look nice.

(My philosophy has always been "Every mechanical failure is an opportunity for modification")

I don't really need one right now. The cover has a slight dent just under the hood and lost most of the paint in and around the Mazda symbol. I covered it up with black gaffer tape, which was what I did with the other spots of missing paint on the bumper (stupid bad PO repaint). I figure I'll just wait for something on CL and rattle can it (the whole car needs a paint job it's so not worth having the bumper done).

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002

leica posted:

Thank you, this is the kind of imformation I was looking for. What type of pads are typically used with them, ceramic/metallic/semi-metallic?

No idea, I've never had a street Miata. :v Any pads are perfectly fine on them though.

On everything other than the Miata I just throw whatever nameish brand pads Autozone has in stock. Miata only gets fancy pads because of the track use.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

So the sun visors on the '99 I sold my mother-in-law keep flopping around. Any fix to this or do I just need to hunt down a new pair?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I'd just look for some used ones.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Tell him to take them off, they suck. If he's anywhere near 6' he'll thank you.

Also I think I'm going to do the power window mod. Four relays and fuses added wired straight to the battery will make them 10x faster and I won't need the key when it starts raining.

Not James Buchanan
Jun 23, 2006

Not James Buchanan fucked around with this message at 03:08 on May 2, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Do the rubber boots, but also do all the shifter bushings, and change the turret oil. Should fix you right up.