Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crumbles
Mar 25, 2010

Squibbles posted:

For $65 at Koodo you could get 6gb data, 150 minutes daytime, unlimited after 5pm, canada wide calling, callerid/voicemail (no visual voicemail though) and unlimited texting.

How does that compare to the Rogers retention plan?

Pretty much the same, although without the Canada-wide calling. It's like Rogers isn't even trying :saddowns:

One other notable difference, though, is that Koodo appears to charge for tethering, which would make those 6 gigs a lot less useful for me...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!
Virgin is offering a $25 "After work plan". It mentions that data is pay per use, which links to a page that shows the different tiers of data usage up to 3GB. In the upper corner of the page it has a big $25 graphic. Does this mean that I would pay $25 for the voice plan, $25 just for the privilege of having data, plus whatever my data usage is or just $25 for the voice plan plus whatever data usage I incur? If it's the latter and they are still offering similar plans when my 3 year sentence with bell is up next august, I'll definitely be switching.

terriyaki
Nov 10, 2003

Crumbles posted:

Pretty much the same, although without the Canada-wide calling. It's like Rogers isn't even trying :saddowns:

One other notable difference, though, is that Koodo appears to charge for tethering, which would make those 6 gigs a lot less useful for me...

Uh I'm pretty sure Koodo doesn't charge for tethering.

Edit: Oh wow, the Koodo Canada-wide 6GB plan is back. Except now it's for $5 more and you only get 150 anytime minutes instead of 250. Glad I jumped on it earlier when I did.

:dance:

terriyaki fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Sep 18, 2012

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010

ZShakespeare posted:

Virgin is offering a $25 "After work plan". It mentions that data is pay per use, which links to a page that shows the different tiers of data usage up to 3GB. In the upper corner of the page it has a big $25 graphic. Does this mean that I would pay $25 for the voice plan, $25 just for the privilege of having data, plus whatever my data usage is or just $25 for the voice plan plus whatever data usage I incur? If it's the latter and they are still offering similar plans when my 3 year sentence with bell is up next august, I'll definitely be switching.

I'm with Virgin, the pay per use data charge is just based on whatever you used, on top of your $25 voice plan.

Crumbles
Mar 25, 2010

terriyaki posted:

Uh I'm pretty sure Koodo doesn't charge for tethering.

Edit: Oh wow, the Koodo Canada-wide 6GB plan is back. Except now it's for $5 more and you only get 150 anytime minutes instead of 250. Glad I jumped on it earlier when I did.

:dance:

You're right, I seem to have misread the fine-print regarding data usage. Looks like I'll be jumping to Koodo, assuming Rogers doesn't budge.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.
Is it possible to disable the obnoxious "We are connecting your long distance call - dial 1 before entering the number to avoid this message" notification on Rogers prior to dialing a LD number?

I have a long distance plan and I really don't need to be notified each and every time that a call is supposedly considered "long distance". I'm not prepared to pollute my address book with "1" prefixes, as it breaks Skype dialing, for one thing.

Speaking meta, long distance really needs to go away as a concept in this country. It's beyond absurd at this point.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

terriyaki posted:

Out of curiosity, does Koodo ever force customers over to different plans than what they signed up for, given that they are generally a no-contract outfit? I'm guessing not, or they'd have far worse PR, but I wouldn't be at all surprised...

terriyaki
Nov 10, 2003

Lexicon posted:

Out of curiosity, does Koodo ever force customers over to different plans than what they signed up for, given that they are generally a no-contract outfit? I'm guessing not, or they'd have far worse PR, but I wouldn't be at all surprised...

The Koodo rep that helped me out when I ported over from Telus told me that once you've had a certain plan (promotional or otherwise) in the past you always have access to that (those) same plan(s) again at any time in the future.

So according to her, if I were for example to downgrade to the standard $20 Canada-wide plan for October, I have the option to go back to the original $60 6GB Canada-wide plan in November (or any time in the future).

I think a goon that frequents this thread is a Koodo employee. Maybe he can shed some light on this for us next time he's in here.

PZ Smeltzenseltzer
Feb 3, 2008

fortran
~*with style*~

Lexicon posted:

Is it possible to disable the obnoxious "We are connecting your long distance call - dial 1 before entering the number to avoid this message" notification on Rogers prior to dialing a LD number?

I have a long distance plan and I really don't need to be notified each and every time that a call is supposedly considered "long distance". I'm not prepared to pollute my address book with "1" prefixes, as it breaks Skype dialing, for one thing.

Speaking meta, long distance really needs to go away as a concept in this country. It's beyond absurd at this point.

Adding +1 instead of 1 seems to do the trick for me; works with both Skype on my Mac and dialing out on my iPhone.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010

terriyaki posted:

So according to her, if I were for example to downgrade to the standard $20 Canada-wide plan for October, I have the option to go back to the original $60 6GB Canada-wide plan in November (or any time in the future).

I'd be very very surprised if this is the case.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

terriyaki posted:

This is not true. Once you're on a plan with a carrier they can not force you on to a new plan without your permission. However, if you're on a plan that's been discontinued and make changes they are under no obligation to let you back on to the plan you had.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

It just occurred to me that Bell no longer seems to be trying to incept the country with the atrocious term "Superphone".

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Lexicon posted:

It just occurred to me that Bell no longer seems to be trying to incept the country with the atrocious term "Superphone".

I'm pretty sure you can blame that entirely on NVIDIA - I saw a crapton of that at CES the last couple of years when the Tegra phone push started.

OilSlick
Dec 29, 2005

Population: Buscuit
We still use it. We still have the displays for it and are still required to display them. Our sales director still wants us using the term. Maybe it's fallen out of the spotlight now that there haven't been any new ones released lately or coming soon and with all the hype about the iPhone 5.

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005
I used the word smartphone repeatedly at a training event I held for new Bell employees on Samsung devices and the area manger was none too pleased, the employees had all been told to use the word superphone. I felt so goofy using it I couldn't bring myself do it and watching him roll his eyes when my presentation's slides said the word "smartphone" for the GS3, Note and S II was pretty funny.

mexecan
Jul 10, 2006
So if I'm a new activation and want an iphone 5 the consensus seems to be that Koodo has the 6gb plan to get at the moment. Regrettably, they're not doing online or in store resos - first come, first serve only. I'm not anxious to wait in line and can wait a while until the hype dies down. As the Koodo plan is only offered until Sept 30th I think I may just sit this out until Christmas or so.

Can anyone in the industry offer any insights as to what the majors do in terms of christmas plans? Is anything decent usually offered or is the christmas season just an exercise in marketing their usual plans?

Canukian
Dec 13, 2005
I am a displaced Canadian

Crumbles posted:

What are you tethering to? For example my gnex and iPhone 4 can we wifi hot spots. Connect your other devices to this, no tethering fees.

SolidElectronics
Jul 9, 2005
I'm looking at the $40 all-in-one plan from Fido because I live in Kitchener and work in Guelph so pretty much every call I make is long-distance one way or another. Is the 250MB data plan going to bite me in the rear end? I mostly use it for email and facebook, and I'm on wifi at home and work.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

SolidElectronics posted:

I'm looking at the $40 all-in-one plan from Fido because I live in Kitchener and work in Guelph so pretty much every call I make is long-distance one way or another. Is the 250MB data plan going to bite me in the rear end? I mostly use it for email and facebook, and I'm on wifi at home and work.
If your email and Facebook use involves pictures I would go for 500 MB. I use mine for Facebook, email, forums, instagram, and occasional map or yelp lookups and I usually burn through 400MB per month.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

So I read in the OP that you have to go to a store to get a prepaid SIM. I'll be in Toronto for about 5 days and certainly will want some kind of data/sms/voice calling ability. What's the best way for me to do this? I have an unlocked pentaband galaxy nexus.

OilSlick
Dec 29, 2005

ShaneB posted:

So I read in the OP that you have to go to a store to get a prepaid SIM. I'll be in Toronto for about 5 days and certainly will want some kind of data/sms/voice calling ability. What's the best way for me to do this? I have an unlocked pentaband galaxy nexus.

Just go to a store and say "I need a prepaid plan for my phone" and tell them what you need it to do. Don't say you need a prepaid SIM, that'll probably just confuse them. They'll know to give you a SIM for it.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Is it true that Fido has just completely screwed up their activations for the iPhone 5 launch? I got mine (unlocked, from the apple store) and it's still saying No Service despite switching Sims over hours ago. Yeesh.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
I would get in touch with them and make sure that the guy got your new SIM number put correctly into the system.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Took about 5 hours or so before it turned on but seems to be working now. Will the LTE show as 4G? How is the coverage? Do I need to call them to enable that?

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Is there any talk of Rogers bringing back the 6gb plan as they usually do for iphone launches? I have an S3 but I'm burning through data due to a new job with no wifi.

Already at 1.5gb on my 1gb plan. (Rogers charges $10 for every gb you go over apparently)

edit: answered my own question during the forum outage. Rogers 6gb data plans are available again right now and I just signed up.

UnfortunateSexFart fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Sep 23, 2012

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

priznat posted:

Took about 5 hours or so before it turned on but seems to be working now. Will the LTE show as 4G? How is the coverage? Do I need to call them to enable that?
LTE should show explicitly as LTE - it certainly does on the iPad.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I'm wondering if my area of Coquitlam isn't covered or if I need to call them up to enable it. Will call in a few days once things quiet down.

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

SolidElectronics posted:

I also live in Kitchener and work in Guelph but I'm with Wind on the $29 BTS plan (unlimited local, data and text). Kitchener and Guelph counts as one network so all calls are local so that might be good for you. It's pretty decent coverage in Guelph though it does get a little spotty around the end of Speedvale towards Kitchener.

Other than that, I'm pretty satisfied with Wind.

Fraternite
Dec 24, 2001

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I searched the thread for a discussion about Edmonton Mobilicity coverage, but the last discussion was mid-2011.

Are there any people who have experience with this more recently? I'm thinking about taking the plunge, but I'm not sure how much I trust either the Mobilicity website or even coveragemapper.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Just buy a phone and try it, you can return them within something like a week if you only use them to test signal strength. Hell, get one from Wind too to compare.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

http://mobilesyrup.com/2012/09/23/r...he-credit-card/

Rogers posted:

Theres no specific timing, but Rogers also formed a partnership with CIBC that will allow NFC-capable BlackBerry devices that will allows customers to spend up to $50 on their CIBC Visa or MasterCard by simply tapping device to a terminal.

I hope this fails mightily (and I'm pretty sure it will). The last thing we need is loving Rogers of all companies running payment processing.

Hopefully Square or Google Wallet get their act together soon in Canada.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!

Fraternite posted:

I searched the thread for a discussion about Edmonton Mobilicity coverage, but the last discussion was mid-2011.

Are there any people who have experience with this more recently? I'm thinking about taking the plunge, but I'm not sure how much I trust either the Mobilicity website or even coveragemapper.

I know you're asking about mobilicity, but I'm in Edmonton on Wind, and I've never had bad reception anywhere, in fact, my house has better reception than telus or Rogers (northeast Edmonton) hell, even leduc had coverage last ti e I was there. So far the only problems I've had are due to my phone. (LG G2X)

I can't speak to mobilicty's coverage, but if you don't have your heart set on them, wind is a safe bet.

Edit: oh wow, mobi's plans are way better....what the hell wind, I thought we were friends =( fraternite, if you go mobi, could you let me know how it goes? I drive all over the city for work, so I can't have happy coverage.

Frank Dillinger fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Sep 24, 2012

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Sorry if this is an obvious question, but if I want to buy a used iPhone 4 or 4S to use on my Rogers account, what technology should I be looking for? Or will all iPhones work on the Rogers network? I was under the impression that I couldn't buy an unlocked Verizon phone and use it here or whatnot.

I gather I ought to be okay buying unlocked AT&T, existing Rogers, but beyond that I'm not sure what else is safe.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
Any unlocked GSM iPhone 4 / 4S will work, as well as any Rogers-locked one of course.

I think even when it comes to the 4S you can get a Verizon/Sprint CDMA model and it will work fine because the SIM slot is unlocked for GSM. I would stick to getting a regular GSM model though just to be safe.

DarkJC fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Sep 25, 2012

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!
What is the process for getting an unlocked iPhone put on your Bell account? I assume it would be as simple as walking into a Bell store, purchasing a nano sim, installing it, and having them activate the new SIM but I've learned not to make assumptions with these clowns.

e: They aren't going to try to charge me extra for LTE are they?

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

I'm going to switch from Rogers to WIND, is there anything I need to know about porting my number? I'm assuming I have to call Rogers after and cancel?

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

the talent deficit posted:

I'm going to switch from Rogers to WIND, is there anything I need to know about porting my number? I'm assuming I have to call Rogers after and cancel?

Nope. After you port Rogers will cancel you and try to bill you for 30 days additional service. (If you notify them in advance you'll be porting you can complain to the CCTS about the practice.)

OilSlick
Dec 29, 2005

ZShakespeare posted:

What is the process for getting an unlocked iPhone put on your Bell account? I assume it would be as simple as walking into a Bell store, purchasing a nano sim, installing it, and having them activate the new SIM but I've learned not to make assumptions with these clowns.

No, your assumption is basically correct. You'll take your unlocked iPhone 5 to them, purchase a nano SIM card, they will activate it on your account and plug it in, and there you go. The SIM card is $5, the serial number change fee is $15 but I'm not sure if they would charge you that in your case or if it's even charged at all outside of Atlantic Canada.

There is no extra charge for LTE.

Smoot
Feb 18, 2006

ZShakespeare posted:

If you have an Apple store near you, you can try getting a nano-sim for free there. Depending on the store/employee, you may need to provide proof of purchase of the iPhone (they asked for my invoice but never actually looked at it).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Smoot posted:

If you have an Apple store near you, you can try getting a nano-sim for free there. Depending on the store/employee, you may need to provide proof of purchase of the iPhone (they asked for my invoice but never actually looked at it).

This was my experience exactly.. I got asked "Do you have your receipt?" I said yes but they never actually looked at it either.